5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stadjer

He's the perfect counter when McGuire tells the whole world he's good because many managers pick him.
Its Harry Maguire who is the slow, not world class, not that great of a central defender that Manchester United overpaid for. Not Harry McGuire.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I'm Scottish and I have a high opinion of Steve Clarke and the innovation of how he set up the team. It's not because Scott McTominay is a crap midfielder that he is put in defence. I see it as comparable to Pep Guardiola using Javi Martinez as a centre back at Bayern Munich or the suggestion we've seen recently that Xavi is considering using Frenkie De Jong as a centre back at Barcelona if he stays.
Don't expect the blinkered to get it. Its like why Tierney plays at cb over there center halves in the set up. The Scotland boss is getting all his best players on the pitch. If Scott couldn't play another role he'd start in that midfield.

Olecurls99

Don't expect the blinkered to get it. Its like why Tierney plays at cb over there center halves in the set up. The Scotland boss is getting all his best players on the pitch. If Scott couldn't play another role he'd start in that midfield.
Good for Scotland. He's not a good enough Man United starter

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Its Harry Maguire who is the slow, not world class, not that great of a central defender that Manchester United overpaid for. Not Harry McGuire.
See.. He couldn't even get his name right.

Bobski

I hope he comes out with his collar up tommorrow. The hate must flow.

It is obvious why they stick him at CB for Scotland, he is more versatile than the other midfielders and their CB's are shit. But, also easy to see why it has become another stick to beat him with.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I hope he comes out with his collar up tommorrow. The hate must flow.

It is obvious why they stick him at CB for Scotland, he is more versatile than the other midfielders and their CB's are shit. But, also easy to see why it has become another stick to beat him with.
It’s also easy to see that he isn’t a good enough midfielder for us.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Seems pretty straight forward to me that he is happy with what we've got in terms of McFred given they were the first choice midfielders with a defensive role in pre-season.
Also seems pretty straightforward that he is obviously trying to sign an upgrade in this position. Clearly, he wants better.

Bobski

It’s also easy to see that he isn’t a good enough midfielder for us.
If he is better than the other options and convinces 4 different managers to pick him that is on the club and not him. I would be delighted if we could upgrade our CM options and move on but until that happens learn to love McSauce.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If he is better than the other options and convinces 4 different managers to pick him that is on the club and not him. I would be delighted if we could upgrade our CM options and move on but until that happens learn to love McSauce.
Who it ‘is on’ is a different conversation, but I would have thought that it was fairly obvious that it is not on him that he is picked weekly, or that he finds himself at a Manchester United where he is in the top two options. It is an indictment of the club more than a testament to his quality though.

And I don’t think anyone hates the player, but we should absolutely not learn to accept such mediocrity as a fixture in our midfield. The point that he is so blatantly sub-par should remain a topic of discussion until the point when he is finally replaced IMO.

nau05194

Also seems pretty straightforward that he is obviously trying to sign an upgrade in this position. Clearly, he wants better.
I don't agree, Erik Ten Hag has stated publicly he wants to improve the depth of the squad including the midfield. To my knowledge he hasn't ever talked about upgrading positions or wanting better players in that department so to make that extension is in my view an unsupported connecting of dots.

Happy to be corrected if you have evidence to the contrary.

Manowar

Because of the bolded part, I'm out.

Fed up of people having nothing constructive to actually bring to the discussion.

Anyone that resorts to the word 'passun' (sic) appears to be lacking any more constructive arguements to bring to the table.

I use stats, eyes and knowledge of the game to assess a player, also I am willing to listen to other opinions, especially those of professional managers and coaches who are, all told, the experts both from United and also elsewhere. Majority of them have had nothing but good words to say regarding McTominay.

You clearly have made up your mind, which makes it difficult, actually near impossible, to critically assess, which is what you said you were doing on this thread.

His stats are pretty decent all told, and is the Scotland contingent affiliated with United in any way? So not sure what you are getting at there.
His stats compared to other CMs backed up my claims:
https://fbref.com/en/players/d93c2511/Scott-McTominay
Terrible, with or without context. And obviously, he didn’t pass the eyetest for me. Is this objectively constructive enough for you?

Remember the geese

I don't agree, Erik Ten Hag has stated publicly he wants to improve the depth of the squad including the midfield. To my knowledge he hasn't ever talked about upgrading positions or wanting better players in that department so to make that extension is in my view an unsupported connecting of dots.

De Jong and Eriksen are upgrades on McTominay. This is clear.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

The evidence is that the player he wants is Frenkie de Jong, who in my personal opinion is an upgrade.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He’s good enough for United, but only as 5th/6th choice in a 4-3-3. 4th choice at best and starting games in rotation/cups. Selling him would be daft because there is no middle market for players like him since COVID, he’s rarely injured, and he can probably cover RB and CB. You need to bring players in ahead of him in midfield so that he’s in the right place in the pecking order.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s good enough for United, but only as 5th/6th choice in a 4-3-3. 4th choice at best and starting games in rotation/cups. Selling him would be daft because there is no middle market for players like him since COVID, he’s rarely injured, and he can probably cover RB and CB. You need to bring players in ahead of him in midfield so that he’s in the right place in the pecking order.
That can probably be said about any fecking CM in the PL. This is all weird metrics, moving goalposts and other gymnastics to imply that Scott is the level of player we should have at the club.

I mean, adding ‘he can probably cover RB and CB’ is just clutching. Really. ‘Probably’?

AndySmith1990

We don't need mediocre 5th or 6th choice 25 year olds at the club. Thats when you start integrating promising young players. Let's just be honest and say he's not good enough for United*

*unless you are happy for United to be seen as a EL level club, in which case fair enough, McTominay may be just about good enough

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We don't need mediocre 5th or 6th choice 25 year olds at the club. Thats when you start integrating promising young players. Let's just be honest and say he's not good enough for United*

*unless you are happy for United to be seen as a EL level club, in which case fair enough, McTominay may be just about good enough
Pretty much

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
I don't even think he would start for the likes of Fulham. Once we finally let him go, we will see that some team will take a punt on him but ultimately he will fail to live up to the expectations set "high" at United and end up at Championship team.

And that says a lot about us how low we got. Luckily with ETh we will get the best out of our other academy prospects, plus the new signings will push McTominay out of the squad in a couple of transfer windows.

That being said I can see McTominay having a blinder today, while ETH will play it safe and won't experiment without him, only to keep him in the team for the next 10 games.

phelans shorts

I don't even think he would start for the likes of Fulham. Once we finally let him go, we will see that some team will take a punt on him but ultimately he will fail to live up to the expectations set "high" at United and end up at Championship team.

And that says a lot about us how low we got. Luckily with ETh we will get the best out of our other academy prospects, plus the new signings will push McTominay out of the squad in a couple of transfer windows.

That being said I can see McTominay having a blinder today, while ETH will play it safe and won't experiment without him, only to keep him in the team for the next 10 games.
Then the rest of your post isn’t worth wasting time on reading.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Then the rest of your post isn’t worth wasting time on reading.
Then why do you care to fecking comment? Once we let him finally go he will get a transfer to a no-nonsense bottom league team like Burnley which will get relegated eventually. He's not even good enough for piss poor Scotland as a midfielder yet he get a pass at United..

But obviously Once ten Haag get his men in, he will be shifted or phased out.

Lecland07

Are people seriously arguing that McTominay is a good player because he is playing as a defender for Scotland? That is some twisted logic.

McTominay plays defence because he is not as good as their midfielders. If he was their best midfielder, there is no way he would be playing in defence. The Martinez argument doesn't hold up either as Bayern Munich's other midfielders were Kroos and Thiago, not McGinn and Gilmour.

Do you really think a Manchester United midfielder should not been starting ahead of a person who failed at Norwich?

Joseunited

Ten Hag isn't stupid,he'll play McT until Eriksen is up to speed and then he'll faze him out.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Ten Hag isn't stupid,he'll play McT until Eriksen is up to speed and then he'll faze him out.
You're going to be disappointed. McTominay won't be fazed out. He'll feature a lot this season, maybe less than last season if we can get de Jong or another midfielder in but he will still get plenty of games as it looks like ten Hag will rotate quite a bit.

Man Utd 1:2 Brighton

Woodenlung

I try not to be too down on player, but I'll make an exception for McTominay.

He's simply the worst footballer I've ever seen play regular games for United. He has no technical ability on the ball and kills our attacks with misplaced passes or bad control.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I try not to be too down on player, but I'll make an exception for McTominay.

He's simply the worst footballer I've ever seen play regular games for United. He has no technical ability on the ball and kills our attacks with misplaced passes or bad control.
Fellaini was better than this guy. Don't know what managers see in him. Must be a contractual obligation or something.

Atheist

It’s a safe bet to say he’ll be at the club long enough to get a testimonial.

slored1

He wouldn’t be a starter at:
  • Any of the top 6
  • Leicester
  • Palace
  • Brighton
  • West Ham
  • Leeds
  • Wolves
  • Brentford
And yet he starts for us. A 0/10 today, couldn’t have played worse if he tried.

saik

The only player who can get a yellow card with the ball at his feet. He won't even get into Brighton's team yet here we are starting him at Manchester United. Sums him and us as a club really.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Second goal.was his mistake but he couldn't foul because he was on an yellow. Such an idiotic player.

Superunknown

He hasn't got it in him to be a first choice player in a team that has hopes of playing in the Champions League, let alone a team that wants to challenge for the title.

Squad player, if that. We've tried, we've given him time, and now it's time to do something different.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
The only player who can get a yellow card with the ball at his feet. He won't even get into Brighton's team yet here we are starting him at Manchester United. Sums him and us as a club really.
This. Completely free outside the box and ends up with him getting a yellow card. Jesus wept.

Status
Not open for further replies.