5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RVN1991

Sure there was a game last year where an opponent came on at halftime and still doubled MCT's touches
I don't know whether to laugh or cry reading that statement :lol: It's completely unbelieveable but looking at how shite Mctominay is not far fetched at all.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Seeing a few reports from good sources that there are no plans to move on McTominay which is actually quite concerning to me. He has been given ample opportunity at United now and has never once been able to provide consistent value in midfield.

Is Luckhurst still considered a good source? Hope not, because not only is McTominay, you know, shite, he's 26 years old. Hardly screams fountain of youth!

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Made the most amount of tackles yesterday, highest number of completed tackles, highest number of ball recoveries, similar amount of touches to Sabitzer his midfield partner, similar amount of passes than Sabitzer

I think it's fair to say McT was better without the ball than with it, but the midfield were out muscled, outworked, out fought by a team who showed more desire.
I personally thought he and Antony were the best out of our front 6 however that is admittedly a low bar with the likes of Rashford, Bruno and Weghorst dropping 3/10 performances. I understand his critics in general as he's not good enough to start every week however I thought McTominay was one of the only few to show some fight in that 2nd half along with Martinez

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Made the most amount of tackles yesterday, highest number of completed tackles, highest number of ball recoveries, similar amount of touches to Sabitzer his midfield partner, similar amount of passes than Sabitzer

I think it's fair to say McT was better without the ball than with it, but the midfield were out muscled, outworked, out fought by a team who showed more desire.
That fact should be used as criticism, not defence. Sabitzer was also far too peripheral. Bruno had almost as many passes/touches as Sabitzer and McT combined!

SAFMUTD

Looking at this season stats McTominay makes slightly less than 32 passes per 90'. Compared to the 60.50 per 90' of Casemiro and 57.75 per 90' of Eriksen.

It's clear he hides from receiving the ball, our game play doesn't go pass by McTominay as he's nearly as half as involved as the two starters.

The stats calling for 10 touches in a half of McTominay while alarming are not far away from his usual average. He's just poor.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He’s not technically good enough, when he has the ball in good positions he have it away. The best thing he did all game was drive down the line and fire in a cross that was headed out. Too little too late. He should have been fired up after 4 international goals in a week, against a team that’s known to admire him. Show a bit of drive ffs

lex talionis

Unbelievably poor yesterday. That anyone PL manager would want him as anything other than deep cover boggles the mind.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That fact should be used as criticism, not defence. Sabitzer was also far too peripheral. Bruno had almost as many passes/touches as Sabitzer and McT combined!
It’s used as a deflection. That’s the trend here. Even if there’s a discussion where both people agree that the player in question was poor, his ‘defenders’ will come out with the argument that player x was also poor, or ‘you can’t blame him alone for the result’. Okay, and?

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
He was crap last night, although he was asked to do a job on Bruno G and mostly did it. Alongside Sabitzer we had no creativity in our midfield, and the attacking trio were absolutely god awful. Still, I had hoped to see more from McTominay when being given a bit of freedom to play more of a box to box role.

jem

I keep reading that the likes of Paul Scholes would hate to see McTominay leave. Why? It's absolutely mindboggling that Scholes (who I love and was my favourite player during his time) could consistently have a go at the likes of Antony yet feel McTominay is invaluable. What am I missing?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I keep reading that the likes of Paul Scholes would hate to see McTominay leave. Why? It's absolutely mindboggling that Scholes (who I love and was my favourite player during his time) could consistently have a go at the likes of Antony yet feel McTominay is invaluable. What am I missing?
They prefer to keep a player from the academy, even if he's not at the required level. They don't realize that at the end of the day what matters if you can bring something to the club or not.

croadyman

Convinced he doesn't play against Newcastle if he hadn't scored those goals for Scotland

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It’s used as a deflection. That’s the trend here. Even if there’s a discussion where both people agree that the player in question was poor, his ‘defenders’ will come out with the argument that player x was also poor, or ‘you can’t blame him alone for the result’. Okay, and?
It's used to highlight the fact that it wasn't only McT who didn't influence things in the ball.

It highlights that more needed to be done by those on the pitch and that it wasn't just McT causing the issue.

As football is a team game it's important to note when a large proportion of that team isn't functioning, rather than pick on individuals as the cause which is the real 'trend' on here.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Would be pure madness to keep him behind this summer. He’s an absolutely terrible central midfielder. Should be playing for a small club where they sit back and play old school footy where he can use his physique and ability to produce the odd moment in attack and not have to really pretend to be a central midfielder anymore.

Red00012

I think McTominay has desold himself to Newcastle with that performance

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's used to highlight the fact that it wasn't only McT who didn't influence things in the ball.

It highlights that more needed to be done by those on the pitch and that it wasn't just McT causing the issue.

As football is a team game it's important to note when a large proportion of that team isn't functioning, rather than pick on individuals as the cause which is the real 'trend' on here.
It will always be a (very logical) trend to discuss an individual’s performance in an individual performance thread.

Champ

It will always be a (very logical) trend to discuss an individual’s performance in an individual performance thread.
Indeed, but not to the degree that an individual is the sole cause of a teams downfall when the collective didn't play well.
I understand the need to call out players who have had a poor performance but bar De Gea, not one player can hold their head up high from that performance.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Clearly the answer is Scotland and Steve Clarke > United and Ten Hag.

Siorac

Indeed, but not to the degree that an individual is the sole cause of a teams downfall when the collective didn't play well.
I understand the need to call out players who have had a poor performance but bar De Gea, not one player can hold their head up high from that performance.
The individuals still need to be called out even if it was a collective failure. When a team doesn't play well, it is always at least partly down to individual players not doing their job to the required standard.

And central midfield tends to have a substantial impact on the collective. With both Sabitzer and McTominay doing a disappearing act, there was basically no chance we would see a composed, assured team performance, even if everyone else were at the top of their game coming into this one.

Champ

The individuals still need to be called out even if it was a collective failure. When a team doesn't play well, it is always at least partly down to individual players not doing their job to the required standard.

And central midfield tends to have a substantial impact on the collective. With both Sabitzer and McTominay doing a disappearing act, there was basically no chance we would see a composed, assured team performance, even if everyone else were at the top of their game coming into this one.
I agree, hence the reason I said very similar in my last post.

But taking Sundays game as an example, McT actually had his uses, tackles, interceptions, recoveries he was all top or close to it from a United point of view.
Which highlights that he was playing a part, its just on the ball we were poor, not just McT, but Sabitzer, Bruno, Rushford etc, all alarmingly poor.

The issue being is McTominays performance thread has gone into overdrive above and beyond anyone else's, he is the new Maguire in that regards.
I'm not going to stand up for his performance on the weekend, it was shocking, but as was the teams as a collective.

Gordon Godot

But taking Sundays game as an example, McT actually had his uses, tackles, interceptions, recoveries he was all top or close to it from a United point of view.
Which highlights that he was playing a part, its just on the ball we were poor, not just McT, but Sabitzer, Bruno, Rushford etc, all alarmingly poor.

The issue being is McTominays performance thread has gone into overdrive above and beyond anyone else's, he is the new Maguire in that regards.
I'm not going to stand up for his performance on the weekend, it was shocking, but as was the teams as a collective.
The problem is multiple, but while McT has 'uses' he also has major limitations. His passing and ability to retain possession udner pressure were poor. Antony and Bruno were attrocious at retaining possession when we did win it back, while Rashford was anonymous. Weghurst a big issue as completely pointless and meant we had 10 players, so some of these failings can in part be attributed to that. We lack technical players in middle of park who can build possession and a forward who can link the play.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Come on now. McT made 3 successful tackles in 90 minute. Fred made 2 in 8 minutes. Even Jadon Sancho matched McT’s tackle rate (1 in 30 minutes)

And that’s supposed to be what he does best! Have a look at the stats on what he does badly (but is critical for his position) like how many touches and passes he made and you’ll see exactly why he’s being singled out for criticism.

Champ

The problem is multiple, but while McT has 'uses' he also has major limitations. His passing and ability to retain possession udner pressure were poor. Antony and Bruno were attrocious at retaining possession when we did win it back, while Rashford was anonymous. Weghurst a big issue as completely pointless and meant we had 10 players, so some of these failings can in part be attributed to that. We lack technical players in middle of park who can build possession and a forward who can link the play.
I agree.

I like McTominay as a player, I think he's a very useful squad addition, but his use of the ball at times can be better.
As you say, couple Sabitzers lacklustre use of the ball, Bruno having a shocker and Weghorsts woes and it just compounds the issue further.

Champ

Come on now. McT made 3 successful tackles in 90 minute. Fred made 2 in 8 minutes. Even Jadon Sancho matched McT’s tackle rate (1 in 30 minutes)

And that’s supposed to be what he does best! Have a look at the stats on what he does badly (but is critical for his position) like how many touches and passes he made and you’ll see exactly why he’s being singled out for criticism.
If you actually had read the comments back and forth you'll see that Sabitzer was just as poor as McTominay on the ball, yet had much worse defensive output, but McTominay is the one carrying most of the flack on here.

I'm not defending McTominay in this instance, he had a shocker, but so too did the team, its harsh to pinpoint an individual when the team collectively was abject, lacklustre and poor.

Siorac

Well, better players get more leeway, that's how it always is. We know Bruno or Rashford or Shaw can and usually do play much better than this. Sabitzer played like five games for us since joining as an emergency loan so the expectations are low.

McTominay has been here for five years and it's very hard to remain patient because it's been patently obvious for a long time that he is nowhere near good enough for the level we aspire to reach. Which means that, yes, he will receive harsh criticism, partly because of frustration that he's somehow still here.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
If you actually had read the comments back and forth you'll see that Sabitzer was just as poor as McTominay on the ball, yet had much worse defensive output, but McTominay is the one carrying most of the flack on here.

I'm not defending McTominay in this instance, he had a shocker, but so too did the team, its harsh to pinpoint an individual when the team collectively was abject, lacklustre and poor.
Surely it’s natural to cut the new guy a bit of slack and feel far more frustrated with someone who’s been here for years and keeps producing this shit again and again and again?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

That would be absolutely fair if this was a one-off thing or just every now and then. But the criticism of Scott not getting on the ball and impacting the game is true for about 90% of his games. And no, that isn't an exaggeration. He does tend to have a few matches every year where he suddenly looks like a player with real drive and ability to help with the build-up and everybody gets their hopes up, but the vast majority of his games he just drifts through without doing much. As such, pointing out that this was yet another game which fits in that category is fair.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Surely it’s natural to cut the new guy a bit of slack and feel far more frustrated with someone who’s been here for years and keeps producing this shit again and again and again?
No no no in the Cafe you have to deflect any criticism a player gets onto another player in the performances thread. That's how it apparently works. Or just reference a great game said player had in the past as to why he isn't shit.

croadyman

Would be pure madness to keep him behind this summer. He’s an absolutely terrible central midfielder. Should be playing for a small club where they sit back and play old school footy where he can use his physique and ability to produce the odd moment in attack and not have to really pretend to be a central midfielder anymore.
Yeah very true but getting the money we had hoped for him could prove difficult after that performance against Newcastle

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah very true but getting the money we had hoped for him could prove difficult after that performance against Newcastle
You get what you can I guess. I’m sure he’ll have some decent displays till the end of the season and besides any potential buyer should know what they’re getting with him. He has his uses for certain clubs.

Olecurls99

We should take what we're given and like it. Just let him off to have the career he's supposed to have.

When you see the talent around the league it boggles the mind that he's played over 200 games for Man Utd.

arnie_ni

One of his better games today. Positionally very good and competed bravely.
Defensively yea he was good. Offers very little when we have the ball though as per.

But we did look more solid tonight

edgecutter

Hopefully add a few million to his price tag. This was a rare performance against a very lacklustre Brentford. The problem with Scott is that he won't continue with this performance and will go back to what we saw against Newcastle.

Idxomer

Defensively excellent but some of his work on the ball is just painful to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.