5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniteBoredom

McSauce is better than someone like Darron Gibson, and we had the latter in the squad for years during our most successful period.

The problem is he plays all the time, but that’s hardly his fault when the other more glamorous options like Pogba, DvB have all fallen by the wayside for one reason or another, and the club has so far failed to strengthen that area properly. Most of the frustration with him would go away the moment he’s not ever present in the first XI, and hopefully that starts with FdJ coming in.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
SAF on McTominay: "I signed him when he was seven or eight. He was actually a center forward when he was little. He grew kind of like Darren [Fletcher] when he arrived. All the attributes that Darren had, McTominay has them too. "

Thanks SAF

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
SAF on McTominay: "I signed him when he was seven or eight. He was actually a center forward when he was little. He grew kind of like Darren [Fletcher] when he arrived. All the attributes that Darren had, McTominay has them too. "

Thanks SAF
Wonder what he said about Phil Jones, and the other Scottish bloke Moyes

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
SAF never put him in the first team
Due to his retirement coming earlier than his age but he qualified for playing for United with all the attributes of Fletcher according to SAF and he himself signed him. Jose, Ole and Rangnick and so far Ten Hag has regularly used him aa a squad player and in first team matches.

Cassidy

Due to his retirement coming earlier than his age but he qualified for playing for United with all the attributes of Fletcher according to SAF and he himself signed him. Jose, Ole and Rangnick and so far Ten Hag has regularly used him aa a squad player and in first team matches.
Lets see where he is in 18 months

Panfc

I love Scott. I think he’s our most underestimated player and very much like Fletcher. He has a great pass, can score a goal, good shot.
He just tried a little too hard last season. Wanted to do too much, worked too hard. He’ll shine this year I think.

nau05194

I've watched his first half performance now and he was okay in my view. Not outstanding or particularly noticeable today, but reasonably good within the system and maybe more noticeable for his defensive contributions. I think that's why he is liked by managers - he does his job, is a team player and doesn't really make many mistakes and added to that brings good physicality which is useful.

I thought he did well against Crystal Palace, but I thought he wasn't too bad at all today.

Wing Attack Plan R

McT v Athletico he wasn’t bad. First half he broke up a lot of attacks, made good tackles, gave some bruises to the other team. I think ETH will use him often, and if we get DeJong (when, I mean when) I’d expect to see mor of McT than Fred.

Cassidy

Phil Jones had all the makings of a brilliant player, what on earth are you talking about.
Quite obviously that having talent at a young age doesn't mean you will be a good player when older

Cassidy

Quite obviously not, because if that was the point you were making you wouldn’t mention David Moyes.
Why not. He is doing very well at West Ham is he not?
SAF cannot predict the future and sometimes he can get things wrong is the point.

Cassidy

So Moyes doing well is proof that Ferguson was wrong to say he was good?

I think you need to go to bed, this is gibberish.
Where did I say he was wrong to say he was good?
Maybe you are the one who needs their bed

Let me break it down for you so you don’t have to tell someone else what they are saying…

Fergie saw potential in Jones, Moyes and McTomninay.
However he was wrong about Moyes being ready or good enough to realise said potential at the level of United. Same of McTominay.

Is Moyes a good manager? Yes. Was he good enough for United at the time no.

Has every player SAF saw potential in made it big time at United? No.

So somebody using a SAF quote to justify McTominay being good enough is redundant.

Last edited:

phelans shorts

Where did I say he was wrong to say he was good?
Maybe you are the one who needs their bed
You said that Ferguson rating a young McTominay means nothing because he can’t predict the future, just look at what he said about Jones and Moyes. Now one of those has proven him correct in the time since, the other had horrific luck with his body breaking down, but could be used to support your point if we’re being harsh. So why would those two be examples when they show totally different outcomes?

It makes no sense, unless of course you’ve since realised you were wrong and are now just trying to deflect which, to be fair, would be entirely in keeping with what you usually do rather than admit when you’re wrong.

Cassidy

You said that Ferguson rating a young McTominay means nothing because he can’t predict the future, just look at what he said about Jones and Moyes. Now one of those has proven him correct in the time since, the other had horrific luck with his body breaking down, but could be used to support your point if we’re being harsh. So why would those two be examples when they show totally different outcomes?

It makes no sense, unless of course you’ve since realised you were wrong and are now just trying to deflect which, to be fair, would be entirely in keeping with what you usually do rather than admit when you’re wrong.
Moyes has not proven SAF right for one

Cassidy

You are lost

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
All of them were sacked by United for not getting it right…
Which means every player they played isn't good enough right??

One of those managers even created a brand new award to give to McT, seems strange why they would do that to a poor player.

Ask yourself, why has McT played consistently over the past three seasons? Answer that honestly, and without this strange hatred for the lad clouding your judgement.

Last edited:

Aeryis

He's more than good enough to get in the majority of premiership teams, Liverpool often play Keita, Arsenal play Xhaka, Spurs have played Skipp and Winks, Leicester have played Ndidi and Choudhury,

McT is miles better than any of them and many more. Your question doesn't even warrant asking.
Yes, Mctominay would easily be a crucial part of those teams. Even though whenever he plays against the very same players you listed, he gets easily dominated and outplayed 100% of the time for the past 4 years.

Absolutely delusional. It seems like the Evertonisation of the club has already come and gone. With Manchester United fans going around praising dogshit players like Mctominay, under the impression that he would get in the majority of PL teams while arguing for his continuation at the club. Like seriously, you're comparing him to Keita and Xhaka and you think he comes out at top. This is how I know you see football through red tinted glasses and you'll do anything to praise a lad from the academy.

Last edited:

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Don't get me wrong, seeing him bump into opposition players and getting into staring contests is always fun to see, but he is a quite limited player simply. I actually think he has some nice attributes like passing and shooting, technique is also on decent level, but what fails him is lack of awareness (especially off the ball) and not so quick brain to pick a passing option.

Nevertheless, he's totally fine as a squaddie. It's just he's the easiest player to upgrade in first XI. Also, we've lost second player who did similar job (Matic) so not getting a defensively oriented midfielder this summer would be criminal.

Champ

Yes, Mctominay would easily be a crucial part of those teams. Even though whenever he plays against the very same players you listed, he gets easily dominated and outplayed 100% of the time for the past 4 years.

Absolutely delusional. It seems like the Evertonisation of the club has already come and gone. With Manchester United fans going around praising dogshit players like Mctominay, under the impression that he would get in the majority of PL teams while arguing for his continuation at the club. Like seriously, you're comparing him to Keita and Xhaka and you think he comes out at top. This is how I know you see football through red tinted glasses and you'll do anything to praise a lad from the academy.
The bolded part quite obviously isn't true though is it?!

But of course it's me that has clouded judgement here, right you are.

AndySmith1990

He belongs at Burnley or West Ham, not Manchester United. He's a good example of just how far standards have fallen at this club. A box to box midfielder like Keane is what we should be aspiring for, not a midfielder in the mould of Mark Noble. Replacing him with a quality CM would be the si gle biggest improvement to the first team we could make

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He is who he is. You would've thought we'd have atleast one new midfielder in by now though as a replacement or competition but nope.

Hag's obsession in this window with FDJ has to pay off.

Cassidy

Which means every player they played isn't good enough right??

One of those managers even created a brand new award to give to McT, seems strange why they would do that to a poor player.

Ask yourself, why has McT played consistently over the past three seasons? Answer that honestly, and without this strange hatred for the lad clouding your judgement.
Because we lacked quality players in midfield, especially in the CDM position. In fact last season Matic was the only CDM in the squad

How comes McTominay can’t get in the Scotland midfield?

Drizzle

He belongs at Burnley or West Ham, not Manchester United
Bit of a difference between Championship Burnley and West Ham.

As it happens, he wouldn't get into West Ham's midfield, not even close. May squeeze onto the bench, maybe.

Trequarista10

I hate the Fletcher comparisons.

Fletcher is severely underrated as his illness stopped his progression. He had a slowish start but even his early years he was better than McTominay. The 18 months prior to his illness Fletcher had pushed on even further, was genuinely first choice, added more composure on the ball in addition to his work rate, was in the PL team of the season - at that point he was so much better than McTominay it's insulting to Fletcher to make the comparison. Problem was people wrote Fletcher off as just having had a purple patch as his performances suddenly dropped off a cliff - but the club only publicly revealed his illness about a year later.

Last edited:

Champ

Because we lacked quality players in midfield, especially in the CDM position. In fact last season Matic was the only CDM in the squad

So what you are inferring here is that numerous managers/coaches/scouts at United have deliberately jeopardised their position at the club by ignoring repeatedly the same position over a long period of time?

The simple fact is McT is a good player, managers have consistently played him over other players, including Pogba at times.

Could he be upgraded? Possibly, does that mean he's a bad player? No.

He often plays in defence for Scotland, which seems strange because if he really was a bad player they surely would drop him entirely right? Rather than shoehorn him into the team?

Cassidy

So what you are inferring here is that numerous managers/coaches/scouts at United have deliberately jeopardised their position at the club by ignoring repeatedly the same position over a long period of time?

The simple fact is McT is a good player, managers have consistently played him over other players, including Pogba at times.

He often plays in defence for Scotland, which seems strange because if he really was a bad player they surely would drop him entirely right? Rather than shoehorn him into the team?
What I am saying is United as a club has been poor in recruitment, especially in midfield. This is something that is well documented and has been commented on by recent managers too.
Rangnick wanted to sign CDM in January, Ten Hag first arrived and says midfield is the recruitment priority.

Also you didn't see me say McTominay is a rubbish player. Simply said he is not good enough to be starting for an elite club.

They don’t have good defenders. They have better midfielders than him (none of whom play for elite clubs)

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Fletcher was a much better player and I don't think they're that similar as players but they have received similar treatment from fans. Fletch was made the scapegoat when we went a few seasons without much success and he received some bad abuse at times especially after it was revealed that he was one of the players Keane singled out on MUTV. Same thing is happening with McTominay, you won't find many United fans that think McTominay should be starting every week but he's a decent squad player and has some good qualities. Fans are frustrated over our lack of success and they single players out to blame for it. If we start winning trophies under ten Hag with McTominay as a squad player the narrative will change.

Cassidy

Fletcher was a much better player and I don't think they're that similar as players but they have received similar treatment from fans. Fletch was made the scapegoat when we went a few seasons without much success and he received some bad abuse at times especially after it was revealed that he was one of the players Keane singled out on MUTV. Same thing is happening with McTominay, you won't find many United fans that think McTominay should be starting every week but he's a decent squad player and has some good qualities. Fans are frustrated over our lack of success and they single players out to blame for it. If we start winning trophies under ten Hag with McTominay as a squad player the narrative will change.
The issue is he is a regular start right now and not a squad player. Or at least he has been

Kostov

We just went and bought a 67,5m euro CB who can’t get into his national team first eleven before past his best Otamendi if it’s of any comfort.:lol:

Cassidy

We just went and bought a 67,5m euro CB who can’t get into his national team first eleven before past his best Otamendi if it’s of any comfort.:lol:
Haha very true

Champ

What I am saying is United as a club has been poor in recruitment, especially in midfield. This is something that is well documented and has been commented on by recent managers too.
Rangnick wanted to sign CDM in January, Ten Hag first arrived and says midfield is the recruitment priority.

Also you didn't see me say McTominay is a rubbish player. Simply said he is not good enough to be starting for an elite club.

They don’t have good defenders. They have better midfielders than him (none of whom play for elite clubs)
:lol: you really are clutching here my friend.

Ten Hag wants more creativity in midfield, rather than a replacement for McT. Interesting that McT has started the pre seasons ahead of VdB.

You have said you don't rate him, which is fine, however why do you think your opinion is greater than that of our previous four managers and our current one, all of whom have stuck with McT?

As for Scotland, ask yourself why they like to shoehorn McT in the team at all!?

When you answer that without your cloudy judgement, you'll have your eyes opened finally!

El__Jingo

a good player? name me one technical attribute he stands out at? and i will happily wait a while for you to answer that.

his admirers always come back with " our ex managers all played him!" key word being ex as they all got sacked.

you saying he could "possibly" be upgraded is laughable, he is biggest weakness in this team and not one title challenging club would go near him. I'd even argue if he was too leave he would end up in the championship or at newly promoted team.

his Scotland selection is pretty much irrelevant, Mcginn and Gilmour are far better players but the manager feels he can do a job in a back three. If you knew any scottish supporters ask them what they think of Steven Clark and thats all you need to know.

nau05194

If you knew any scottish supporters ask them what they think of Steven Clark and thats all you need to know.
I'm Scottish and I have a high opinion of Steve Clarke and the innovation of how he set up the team. It's not because Scott McTominay is a crap midfielder that he is put in defence. I see it as comparable to Pep Guardiola using Javi Martinez as a centre back at Bayern Munich or the suggestion we've seen recently that Xavi is considering using Frenkie De Jong as a centre back at Barcelona if he stays.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.