5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trequarista10

So overall he was bad. No getting around it. But he also had 1 or 2 good bits of play in between not looking anywhere near good enough. Maybe thats why Fred was hooked first because he didnt even do that much. But yeah there was a lot of evidence today that he isnt good enough as well. A lot more than the couple of good moments
I can't work out why Fred was taken off instead of him. Possibilities include - wanting McTominays height for set pieces (I hope not the reason), thinking Fred has been training as a 6 so it's better to take him off rather than move him to 8 (but then we moved Eriksen from 9 to 6, so presumably not the reason), or EtH thinks McTominay is better than Fred (I really, really hope this isn't the case).

McTominay is the worst United midfielder in my lifetime, and I am genuinely including some absolute dross in that consideration like Kleberson, Gibson, Cleverley, Fellaini etc.

It amazes me he's still not only here, but starting games. AWB is probably equally technically deficient, but centre midfield is by far the most important area of the pitch to have technically proficient players.

And I'm an optimistic poster who rarely criticises individual players. But McTominay is atrocious! I'd play Garner ahead of him, and I'd prioritise at least 1 CM signing (and ideally a 2nd next season).

OmarUnited4ever

I never said he did play well. But we were worse when his replacement came on. It’s factually accurate
Please, I beg of you, don't defend Mct today.

and it's not factually accurate we lost momentum when he was subbed, because he didn't contribute to any momentum we had to begin with, it was all Eriksen.

CloneMC16

Shocking. Nothing new. If we go through another season with him being a starter, that is disgusting. I genuinely do not remember anything positive he did on the ball. A Man United midfielder played for 78 minutes and only touched the ball 38 times, and made 29 passes. This guy does next to nothing on the field. The things he does do are usually not good.

Bogga

As I wrote in the other thread about him.. Just in the beginning of the 2nd half (47th-48th minute) around our right corner flag he just jogs around, should be well rested and have lots of energy. Doesn't cover anything and don't run. Freds passing is crap and those brainfarts is infuriating, but at least he makes himself available, unlike McT...

El Zoido

He’s so bad. We’ll never control a game of football when he’s in the side. He’s in the middle of everything and is a huge problem.

Ekeke

I can't work out why Fred was taken off instead of him. Possibilities include - wanting McTominays height for set pieces (I hope not the reason), thinking Fred has been training as a 6 so it's better to take him off rather than move him to 8 (but then we moved Eriksen from 9 to 6, so presumably not the reason), or EtH thinks McTominay is better than Fred (I really, really hope this isn't the case).

McTominay is the worst United midfielder in my lifetime, and I am genuinely including some absolute dross in that consideration like Kleberson, Gibson, Cleverley, Fellaini etc.

It amazes me he's still not only here, but starting games. AWB is probably equally technically deficient, but centre midfield is by far the most important area of the pitch to have technically proficient players.

And I'm an optimistic poster who rarely criticises individual players. But McTominay is atrocious!
For me its simply that Fred had 0 good bits of play and McTominay had like 2 bits of winning the ball back quite well. They were both really bad anyway, but one was only bad and the other occasionally did something that helped us too

Mmm-Qatarian

Like Fred, he had a few decent moments but generally proved again that he should be nowhere near the starting XI.

Sarcastico

I genuinely feel sorry for him. He's been here for four seasons and it's blindingly obvious to everyone that this isn't his level, yet the club has continued to keep him around.

Truly mind boggling.

El__Jingo

hate to say i told you so ..

Dont worry though, hes passionate and he gets the club apparently..

looking forward to seeing what a certain few members have to say on here today.

midou

He has some qualities but none of them are relevant to a CDM, you can put Ronaldo in this role and he will do no worse then McT.

JeffFromHK

28 passes - 19 success (67% accuracy) is disasterclass for a midfielder.

Kostov

And I'm an optimistic poster who rarely criticises individual players. But McTominay is atrocious! I'd play Garner ahead of him, and I'd prioritise at least 1 CM signing (and ideally a 2nd next season).
Fred was borderline criminal and easily the worst player on the pitch.

BuzzKillington

I’ve been one of his defenders in the past, mainly due to the fact that he’s a local lad and talks a good game. I think it’s time to accept he’s not good enough and probably isn’t even good enough to stay on as a squad player. One or two decent performances a season are not enough to justify the absolute horse shit the lad serves up most weeks.

Both Neves and Tielemans would be a massive upgrade in his position. Anybody who thinks otherwise is a fecking idiot.

justboy68

Nowhere near good enough and never even stood out at youth level from what I saw. Mourinho for some reason promoted him to the first team.

I honestly hope Erik ten Hag gives one of the younger players a chance over him because the likes of Hannibal, Iqbal etc can open up passing angles and execute passes whilst maintaining composure. McTominay has never shown that at every level I've watched him play.
This is the most bizarre part of all of this. He wasn't even a particular promising academy product! Truly a bout of madness going on at the club.

LordSpud

Everyone here is right in what they are saying - he is so comically bad. Even Fellaini had his uses and he was dogshite too.

He's also a walking red card. Every game theres a bad tackle or a booking. It surprises me he hasnt had many red really.

mikeyt

Lord help us if this guy starts another game, woeful, but he wasn't alone and isn't the only problem but one that needs to be removed immediately and permanently.

Trequarista10

For me its simply that Fred had 0 good bits of play and McTominay had like 2 bits of winning the ball back quite well. They were both really bad anyway, but one was only bad and the other occasionally did something that helped us too
That's probably it. I guess it was just a case of him being angry with Fred's performance. I just hope EtH doesn't get tunnel vision and think Fred is only a 6. I'd have expected him to have had the foresight to realise that having Fred in McTominay's position would provide us with much more.

BerryBerryShrew

We should have started with Eriksen alongside Fred at the base of midfield. At least we would have some semblance of composure in our build up play.

Marcus Aurelius

with him in the line up we will never control the middle of the pitch. fred included too.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The moment in the first half when he was on the ball just outside Brighton's box and he ended up committing a near red card foul really summed him up. A crap player who has been selected for far too long.

The Purley King

a midfielder who hides from the ball. Its incredible.
decent 4th choice. barely tolerable 3rd choice. not a starter in a million years.
I made this point in another thread but it’s staggering how our midfield two can’t make little 5 yard runs to make themselves available for a short pass.
It’s schoolboy stuff. And we can’t do it.
I don’t care if Iqbal is young at least he can do that.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This is the most bizarre part of all of this. He wasn't even a particular promising academy product! Truly a bout of madness going on at the club.
I still to this day can't understand why Mourinho promoted him to the first team. It's absolutely baffling.

klayton88

I'd take Cleverley over this fraud. If he wasn't an academy product less people would be defending him.

Stadjer

Everyone here is right in what they are saying - he is so comically bad. Even Fellaini had his uses and he was dogshite too.

He's also a walking red card. Every game theres a bad tackle or a booking. It surprises me he hasnt had many red really.
He did have a lot of bookings last season. Its not even because he is super agressive or anything. He does get a lot of cards after he receives the ball and loses the ball because he doesnt know what to do with it or doesnt have the ability to do something with the ball. After he loses the ball and will foul the player that took the ball from him. Usual hard and clumsy although i dont think he does it on purpose.. just a lack of quality. Just like today...

Roboc7

You still get idiots calling him Mcsauce, he’s woeful. First half performance was laugh out loud bad and he’ll probably still start 30 plus league games for us.

Red Rash

Absolutely shocking as he is 9 games out of 10. I can't for the life of me understand why so many managers keep playing him even though he is devoid of the basics needed to play the CM role.

It's getting to the point where I just want anyone to play in the CM ahead of him. Wouldn't even mind if we tried Martinez or Lindelof there as I'm sure they can't be worse.

The reality however is we really need at least 2 starting CMs and if the board are unable to deliver this then we are seriously screwed for another season

midou

Yeah, but put him in McTominay's position and we'd have had a huge improvement.
I would agree with this, Fred as a B2B where defensive discipline is not that important can be useful sometimes. McT is horrible in every position possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.