Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sheriff Tiraspol 0:2 Man Utd

Ekeke

Becoming a very good ball winner. Loads of improving still to do with his output of passing and on the ball, but he was regularly winning the ball tonight whenever he went for a tackle, finishing with 5 in 45 mins

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Surprisingly decent again. Ten Hag might actually be a wizard.

Augustus Gloop

Paul Scholes said he didn’t have the best of half’s. Ahhh maybe I just don’t know football as I thought he was really good. :(

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He's been good this season.

But he just doesn't want to get the ball from the defenders. Scared or tactics I have no idea.

Sylar

Along with Dalot, most improved player under eth. Looks like having a tactical coach has really been needed for him.

Hes keeping it simple and having two better players of the ball next to him has helped him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Considering how critical I am of him when he plays badly, it's only fair how full of praise I am for him when he plays well. There's no doubting he's playing very well and is enjoying the best football of his career. Long may it continue.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I didn't think he was that good tonight, not compared to recent performances. Thought he was pretty invisible in the build up and we were getting played through quite easily at times. He was bypassed with ease on different occasions with very basic runs or moves.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Paul Scholes said he didn’t have the best of half’s. Ahhh maybe I just don’t know football as I thought he was really good. :(
Scholes was a great player but it doesn’t mean he’s a good pundit. he talks nonsense quite often.

Mctominay was absolutely fine tonight, made some great tackles. Only 1 error where he let his marker get passed him and take that long shot.

ETH just did the right thing to get Casemiro more minutes he really needs

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Considering how critical I am of him when he plays badly, it's only fair how full of praise I am for him when he plays well. There's no doubting he's playing very well and is enjoying the best football of his career. Long may it continue.
I’m in the same boat. Had basically given up on him but he’s been so good under ETH. Excellent again today. Proving me wrong, one game at a time.

Bondathon

I am biased, because I've always liked McTominay, and used to find the “McFred” chat ridiculous, as if they were the same player.

But am I right in thinking that, this season:
McTominay has started 6 games. Didn’t start v Sociedad, didn’t start v Brentford.

So started 6, lost 1 (first game of the season), won 5? As opposed to Fred’s 100% record of losing when he starts (Brighton, Brentford, Sociedad).

Factor in that one cost us £50m, and the other was an academy product, and I’d love to hear more…

Reactions: golden_blunder

NoPace

I didn't think he was that good tonight, not compared to recent performances. Thought he was pretty invisible in the build up and we were getting played through quite easily at times. He was bypassed with ease on different occasions with very basic runs or moves.
He started quite well, then took some bad angles closing down players and got beaten a couple times.

lysglimt

Scout
He's obviously not better than Fletcher right now, but let's not forget Fletcher suffered a similar level of dismissal and abuse throughout most of his United career. It was only in later years he received the recognition he deserved.
The thing about Fletcher was that the abuse he got was so completely unjustified. In his early days, he often had to play out right because there was no room for him centrally. Fletcher was never going to be a new Beckham. But just like McTominay he worked his socks off, he wasn't quite as good as Scholes or Keane though, so he was labelled useless by large portions of our fans - just like McTominay has been now. As I recall, it wasn't until the 2008/2009 season it really changed for Fletcher. And if it hadn't been for Hargreaves' injuries it might never have happened for Fletcher.

Ekeke

I think that a lot of people dont seem to value when a player improves defensively - other than maybe a CB. Ander didnt get a lot of credit when he developed defensively instead of as an attacking player when Pogba came in and they played together. Likewise McTom is improving in this way, going more towards an Ndidi type of physical ball winner in the middle while early on his best quality was shooting around the box. While Fletcher was more of an all rounder and developed going forward as well. So I think that might be why people are slow to give McTom credit.

Real Name

The thing about Fletcher was that the abuse he got was so completely unjustified. In his early days, he often had to play out right because there was no room for him centrally. Fletcher was never going to be a new Beckham. But just like McTominay he worked his socks off, he wasn't quite as good as Scholes or Keane though, so he was labelled useless by large portions of our fans - just like McTominay has been now. As I recall, it wasn't until the 2008/2009 season it really changed for Fletcher. And if it hadn't been for Hargreaves' injuries it might never have happened for Fletcher.
Yeah I remember CL semifinal in 2009 and how big of a deal was Fletcher got a red in the 2nd leg vs Arsenal.

city-puma

Scott has been excellent this season. Really happy with his resurgence under Ten Hag.
It’s not resurgence. McT has been developing positively every year since Jose initially introduced him.
but, some people here never saw it and even think he regressed last season. In fact, he took more responsibility last season. But the whole team was a mess.
ETH is building the system which apparently try to maximize the potential of individuals as a unit not only great for him but the others.

HookedOnAPhelan

Have to give it to him, he's been excellent. I'd kind of given up on him in the last year. I knew a good coach could improve a lot of our players, but I didn't expect this level from McTominay. Long may it continue.

tomaldinho1

Surprisingly decent again. Ten Hag might actually be a wizard.
McT and Dalot, deadwood about 3 months ago are proof for me that there’s actually intensive coaching going on now. Sancho looks better as well although his fitness looks a bit rubbish.

Bobski

The team has structure, allows him to concentrate on doing a limited task well. Don't think it can be overstated how much of a structural shambles Utd were last season, gaps everywhere, no workrate from up front, no energy from full back, passive defenders, midfield had no chance, impossible job to cover all the space.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It’s not resurgence. McT has been developing positively every year since Jose initially introduced him.
but, some people here never saw it and even think he regressed last season. In fact, he took more responsibility last season. But the whole team was a mess.
That's something I'm not sure I could disagree with more. My single biggest issue with Scott has been that he's still basically the exact same player he was when he first broke through. Maybe slightly better defensive positioning, but otherwise I don't think he's improved at all. Still makes the same mistakes, still has the same strengths and weaknesses. In fact I would say that his longest run of actual good form was in the latter part of 18/19 and early part of 19/20.

In his defence though, I think a big reason for that is that the management and coaching teams we've had since he broke through have been atrocious at developing players. I've mentioned that in other posts about other players, and I think Scott is another good example of it. He has the occasional good period where it looks like he's finally going to come good, but after a month or so he drops back off. He's had a promising start to life under ETH so I do hope that this time it's the real deal, but I can't help but remember that he did the same when Rangnick took over where he was very good for the first month before losing all form again. ETH is the first I have faith in to develop players properly though so fingers crossed.

lysglimt

Scout
Scott McTominay rating 5.3 - are people really that clueless about football in here ?

Chief123

For someone who I genuinely felt was out of his depth, he has not just surprised me, he’s shocked me. The level of improvement is drastic. Against Brighton he was embarsssing. And then his cameo appearance against Brentford was shocking to the point he was shot to bits.

But his performances since Liverpool compared to the last 12/18 months have been absolutely brilliant.

He actually gives genuine hope that he can be a big part of the team. ETH has to get massive credit as coaching is having a huge impact not just on him but the whole team.

Fair play to McTom, he’s been brilliant and deserves all the praise he’s getting. Long may it continue.

What I love the most is it has kept Casemiro on the bench. Not because I don’t want Casemiro to play. But because it sends an extremely strong message from ETH to the rest of the squad that even if you’ve won 5 UCLs, it doesn’t guarantee you start if someone else is playing better.

Under Ole, RR and Jose, Casemiro would have gone straight into the lineup and McTominay barely seen.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
That's something I'm not sure I could disagree with more. My single biggest issue with Scott has been that he's still basically the exact same player he was when he first broke through. Maybe slightly better defensive positioning, but otherwise I don't think he's improved at all. Still makes the same mistakes, still has the same strengths and weaknesses. In fact I would say that his longest run of actual good form was in the latter part of 18/19 and early part of 19/20.

In his defence though, I think a big reason for that is that the management and coaching teams we've had since he broke through have been atrocious at developing players. I've mentioned that in other posts about other players, and I think Scott is another good example of it. He has the occasional good period where it looks like he's finally going to come good, but after a month or so he drops back off. He's had a promising start to life under ETH so I do hope that this time it's the real deal, but I can't help but remember that he did the same when Rangnick took over where he was very good for the first month before losing all form again. ETH is the first I have faith in to develop players properly though so fingers crossed.
Dont agree. I agree that he was not consistent enough, but when did McTominay ever put in performances like the ones against PSG (1-2 win), Man City (2-0 win), Liverpool (4-2 loss) and Villarreal (final) in 20/21 under Mourinho?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I think that a lot of people dont seem to value when a player improves defensively - other than maybe a CB. Ander didnt get a lot of credit when he developed defensively instead of as an attacking player when Pogba came in and they played together. Likewise McTom is improving in this way, going more towards an Ndidi type of physical ball winner in the middle while early on his best quality was shooting around the box. While Fletcher was more of an all rounder and developed going forward as well. So I think that might be why people are slow to give McTom credit.
You always appeared to be a fan of stats when measuring defensive quality. Is there any evidence that he has improved much this season compared to last season as a ball winner? Or are you comparing him to McTominay at the age of 22?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Dont agree. I agree that he was not consistent enough, but when did McTominay ever put in performances like the ones against PSG (1-2 win), Man City (2-0 win), Liverpool (4-2 loss) and Villarreal (final) in 20/21 under Mourinho?
Honestly I don't care too much about one-off performances against a top side where most of his focus is on just defending (maybe harsh against Villarreal as he was truly good there). Or one-off performances in general. But he's always had that in his locker. His performance against Liverpool in 17/18 in the 2-1 win was as good if not better than most of the matches you mention (he was actually poor in that 4-2 loss against Liverpool). Again in the PSG and both Barca matches in 18/19 after Ole first took over. He didn't actually play that often under Mourinho. He only started 18 matches, with 5 of those being early round FA and League Cup matches.

A midfielder has to show consistency and play his part in helping his team control things. The only time Scott has actually shown an ability to do that was late 18/19 and early 19/20, maybe a brief month or so again late in 19/20, then the first month with Rangnick in 21/22. We can perhaps now add the start of 22/23 to that list, although I do think people are going overboard with his performances which have still been quite up and down. He's perhaps getting a bit better each match though so it is promising.

Stadjer

Scott McTominay rating 5.3 - are people really that clueless about football in here ?
That is the exact same rating that i have him on at the moment. That is mostly because i (and a lot of other people) rated him really low the first two games. He played well since but those first two games were brutal. Hardly passed the ball, second touch was a legbreaker tackle and just played badly. Those games will take his average down by a lot. I also missed a few matches so didnt give him a rating that could improve his average.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He is not (much) worse than Fletcher was. Fletcher gets overrated since he retired and he also played in stable, well functioning winning teams whereas McT is under his 4th manager in almost as many years and playing in average teams.
I also see more and more people putting Fletcher, Carrick and Butt in the same sentence as if they were of similar quality and then claiming how they were miles better than McT.
Butt and Carrick indeed were, but not Fletcher, not at all.
Fletcher was a good lad, decent hard working player, but my god does he get overrated with every passing season.

Trex

He looks like a proper DM this days, long may it continue. If he keeps this up then we'll only need one midfielder to complete the midfield rebuild.
Fred was good under Rangnick but he's too loose with his passing for Ten Hag play maybe he'll turn it around but I feel we'll need an alternative/ long term replacement to Eriksen, overtime we'll see Iqbal get more minutes.
Casemiro, Mctominay, ??, Eriksen, Iqbal, Bruno.

Status
Not open for further replies.