Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
I actually thought Newcastle fans would want him, but reading their forum they're not that keen. It seems having rich owners must have gone to their heads.
I think in most of our views he's just not enough of an upgrade (if he'd be considered one by some) to Longstaff to justify the kind of outlay it's going to take.

Still, Howe has more than earned our trust so if he's genuinely decided he's the man for the job I'll not harp on it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I doubt he’d get into their team either. With these types of players, it’s the second move you need to watch to find their true level I always feel. My expectation is that McTominay will join Newcastle and then join a club like Bournemouth a couple of years later.

Anyway, won’t be our problem anymore.

R'hllor

If you compare Newcastle to City, this would be last train for him to catch for first team football thats highly paid, season after next, Newcastle will be probably looking for players of higher profile.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Maddison isn't physically imposing nor does he have the work rate of McTominay. McTominay fits in with the style and physicality and non stop movement Newcastle has developed.
Scott doesn't normally have a particularly good work rate. Occasionally in a big match he'll turn it on and he will be a workhorse all over the field, but in most matches he's very average (if not below average).

dove

We should start demanding outrageous fees like other clubs, 40 million and he can leave.
I don't see how can we demand such fee because we have already missed a good moment to cash in, just like we always do. We could have got £40m or so like 3 years ago when he was still considered a good prospect, although his limitations as a player were obvious right from the beginning. Good luck getting anywhere close to that now when he is clearly out of favour, haven't played much this season and looked very average when he did. Yet another missed opportunity to earn some money.

Bwuk

I doubt he’d get into their team either. With these types of players, it’s the second move you need to watch to find their true level I always feel. My expectation is that McTominay will join Newcastle and then join a club like Bournemouth a couple of years later.

Anyway, won’t be our problem anymore.
He's better than Longstaff. It'd be Longstaff he replaces.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He’ll do fine there. He’s a decent player and their standards are much lower. Eventually he’ll find himself well behind in the pecking order as they keep investing more money and need players who can actually pass the ball and help them play on the front foot.

Zlatattack

If you use him as a box to box midfielder, it'll be a decent signing. Expecting him to be a CDM or a creative pivot - thats not him. He's high energy, can move the ball and likes to get in the box, thats his strengths.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's better than Longstaff. It'd be Longstaff he replaces.
He isn’t. It’s not even particularly marginal either, Longstaff is comfortably better.

People seem to have it in for Longstaff due to Newcastle telling us to feck off a few years back. He’s a highly competent passer and has a far better positional discipline than McTominay.

CallyRed

Worried about playing time? He should be grateful he is getting minutes

Roboc7

He isn’t. It’s not even particularly marginal either, Longstaff is comfortably better.

People seem to have it in for Longstaff due to Newcastle telling us to feck off a few years back. He’s a highly competent passer
and has a far better positional discipline than McTominay.
Mctominay definitely doesn’t walk straight into the current Newcastle team and you’d imagine competition will only increase there. When you look at the starting midfielders of each team in the league there aren’t many he is an upgrade on.

The way Newcastle play probably suits him pretty well but the article I read was saying they intend to use him in a defensive role which he’s pretty rubbish at. I suspect he’d soon find himself in similar role to what he has had for us this season where he just plugs gaps.

edcunited1878

Scott doesn't normally have a particularly good work rate. Occasionally in a big match he'll turn it on and he will be a workhorse all over the field, but in most matches he's very average (if not below average).
To be fair, majority of matches he has to be a screen in front of the back line. He's switched on for the most part, but he can struggle with quick transitions and positioning where he gets caught out. His recovery runs are then most likely ending in a foul.

But as an 8, he's shown he has the skill set and drive to go up and down a channel. It's rough and not above average by any means, but considering Newcastle have a quota issue and he's a big lad, he fits what they are doing there.

Strootman's Finger

McTominay will leave United, flop at whatever mid sized club buys him, he'll move down a notch then another notch until he settles in the championship where he belongs. Nice guy, great professional, poor player that is out of his depth in the premier league.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
To be fair, majority of matches he has to be a screen in front of the back line. He's switched on for the most part, but he can struggle with quick transitions and positioning where he gets caught out. His recovery runs are then most likely ending in a foul.

But as an 8, he's shown he has the skill set and drive to go up and down a channel. It's rough and not above average by any means, but considering Newcastle have a quota issue and he's a big lad, he fits what they are doing there.
For the last 12 months yes. But before that he was in a more box-to-box position, and his workrate (both defensively and when we had the ball) was poor for someone who is generally talked about as being a hard worker. Once opposition get in behind him he just lazily jogs back without any real effort, and his general pressing was closer to the likes of Pogba and Matic than it was to Fred. The occasional big match where he did work his arse off really was the exception. If he's going to succeed in another decent team he will have to take those exceptions and do it all the time. Which he might do, but of course that will then raise the question of why didn't he do it here.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
McTominay will leave United, flop at whatever mid sized club buys him, he'll move down a notch then another notch until he settles in the championship where he belongs. Nice guy, great professional, poor player that is out of his depth in the premier league.
I see this as a likely route too. Although maybe one notch less than you perhaps - he MIGHT level out at the bottom end of the PL. The main concern there is that even lower down the league now all the clubs are trying to get progressive coaches in and rebranding the football they have traditionally played. Even they may not see any use for a centre midfielder who has a penchant for passing to opponents and ball-boys.

Whatever happens, he’ll retire as one of the luckiest footballers I’ve seen in my time watching football. He’ll probably have had a fair few hundred PL games, many as a starter, 6 years at Manchester United, international tournament experiences, big CL nights in places like the Nou Camp, EL finals when in reality, if he had been released from our academy instead of being promoted and went on to join Forest Green Rovers - nobody would have batted an eyelid at the time and I imagine he would have struggled to make it from Forest Green to the PL.

Castia

He’s not good enough to be a regular starter here but he’s above Championship level, if he leaves United he will spend his career comfortably in the PL let’s not go too far

Look at Pereira nowhere near good enough for us and went back to Brazil but he’s shown at Fulham he can easily play regular PL football

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He’s not good enough to be a regular starter here but he’s above Championship level, if he leaves United he will spend his career comfortably in the PL let’s not go too far

Look at Pereira nowhere near good enough for us and went back to Brazil but he’s shown at Fulham he can easily play regular PL football
This isn’t the 90s, midfielders who do feck all and hide from the ball aren’t good enough for the championship either.

Abraxas

Classic case of people underrating our players. I think Newcastle know what they're doing. They're getting a British player that's better than most of the British contingent they have. He's played a couple hundred games for Man United, loads of experience in the PL, never complains, can play multiple roles. It's a clever signing if they get him for a fair price. 40 million would of course be very silly for a player of his calibre, it's too much but I'm sure some kind of deal can be reached.

prateik

Someone here thinks Longstaff is better than McT.. the caf is nuts.

FriedClams

Someone here thinks Longstaff is better than McT.. the caf is nuts.
I’d say it’s far more laughable that Newcastle would be upgrading their midfield by replacing longstaff with Mctominay. Both poor players IMO not anywhere near the quality for teams challenging the European places.

would Bite your hand off if it was covered in shit for 25million for MCT.

Abraxas

People seem to have it in for Longstaff due to Newcastle telling us to feck off a few years back. He’s a highly competent passer and has a far better positional discipline than McTominay.
The stats tell a different story. They don't suggest highly competent or especially integral. Neither is McTominay of course but he probably has other qualities if you release him for a DM role.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The stats tell a different story. They don't suggest highly competent or especially integral. Neither is McTominay of course but he probably has other qualities if you release him for a DM role.
Fair enough. I’m not a stats man personally, and have not formed the view that McTominay is a poor passer based upon any numbers that may or may not suggest this. My impression of Longstaff has always been that passing the ball is one of his strengths, which is of course helpful for a CM. Even when we were linked there were a lot of comparisons to a young Carrick.

Baxquux

TClev10 career post-united (presuming we manage to get shot for an acceptable price) if he's lucky. More dynamic and able to pull off a long-range pelter (ala someone like Gibson), but conversely more careless with the ball and less willing to show for it, so probably works out to roughly about the same level.

Strootman's Finger

I see this as a likely route too. Although maybe one notch less than you perhaps - he MIGHT level out at the bottom end of the PL. The main concern there is that even lower down the league now all the clubs are trying to get progressive coaches in and rebranding the football they have traditionally played. Even they may not see any use for a centre midfielder who has a penchant for passing to opponents and ball-boys.

Whatever happens, he’ll retire as one of the luckiest footballers I’ve seen in my time watching football. He’ll probably have had a fair few hundred PL games, many as a starter, 6 years at Manchester United, international tournament experiences, big CL nights in places like the Nou Camp, EL finals when in reality, if he had been released from our academy instead of being promoted and went on to join Forest Green Rovers - nobody would have batted an eyelid at the time and I imagine he would have struggled to make it from Forest Green to the PL.
What you described in the second paragraph is spot on. One of the easiest ways for me to determine if a player is good enough for United is whether or not we would sign them if they played for someone else, or if the fans would want us to them if they played for someone else. McTominay fails both those tests.

Strootman's Finger

TClev10 career post-united (presuming we manage to get shot for an acceptable price) if he's lucky. More dynamic and able to pull off a long-range pelter (ala someone like Gibson), but conversely more careless with the ball and less willing to show for it, so probably works out to roughly about the same level.
I'd probably take Cleverley over McTominay, all Cleverley did was recycle the ball with short little passes, but at least he was available, Scott passes the ball, the ducks behind the closet opposition player.

edcunited1878

For the last 12 months yes. But before that he was in a more box-to-box position, and his workrate (both defensively and when we had the ball) was poor for someone who is generally talked about as being a hard worker. Once opposition get in behind him he just lazily jogs back without any real effort, and his general pressing was closer to the likes of Pogba and Matic than it was to Fred. The occasional big match where he did work his arse off really was the exception. If he's going to succeed in another decent team he will have to take those exceptions and do it all the time. Which he might do, but of course that will then raise the question of why didn't he do it here.
I think he's a good squad player and is in his rightful place for a team like United and where they're trying to go. I agree with you 100% about his work rate and just overall movement when United have the ball.

He gets lost and his instincts when going towards his goal is not good, and he's just wandering around. Compared to the other end of the spectrum Casemiro...it's so easy and natural for him to put out fires and cover. It'll be hard to find a backup to Casemiro of his level, but it's very clear that McTominay is a deep defensive screen and the overall defensive contribution and transition is not up to par.

Roboc7

Classic case of people underrating our players. I think Newcastle know what they're doing. They're getting a British player that's better than most of the British contingent they have. He's played a couple hundred games for Man United, loads of experience in the PL, never complains, can play multiple roles. It's a clever signing if they get him for a fair price. 40 million would of course be very silly for a player of his calibre, it's too much but I'm sure some kind of deal can be reached.
I don’t think it is a case of underrating him, Southampton are bottom of the league but he doesn’t improve their midfield, he looks very ordinary playing for Scotland in midfield, you wouldn’t pick him out as playing for a top side of watched him play.

He’s a very limited player who will struggle to be anything more than a squad player at majority of Premier League teams unless he manages to find a proper position and role and massively improve his consistency very quickly.

He reminds me very much of Cleverley in that he’s better further forward but not really good enough to play there for many PL teams. Again like Cleverley he hasn’t developed or learnt to play deeper either so he will struggle if asked to play there.

The best thing he has going for him is he can score goals, if he can go somewhere and score regularly that might help him stand out as his all round game is pretty average even for mid table teams.

Red Rash

It's time for him to go. 1 in 10 games he will look like a really good player then for the rest he will barely look like a footballer with poor passing, poor position and hide during the game.

If we can sell for a decent fee we should cash in and upgrade our midfield

Abraxas

I don’t think it is a case of underrating him, Southampton are bottom of the league but he doesn’t improve their midfield, he looks very ordinary playing for Scotland in midfield, you wouldn’t pick him out as playing for a top side of watched him play.

He’s a very limited player who will struggle to be anything more than a squad player at majority of Premier League teams unless he manages to find a proper position and role and massively improve his consistency very quickly.

He reminds me very much of Cleverley in that he’s better further forward but not really good enough to play there for many PL teams. Again like Cleverley he hasn’t developed or learnt to play deeper either so he will struggle if asked to play there.

The best thing he has going for him is he can score goals, if he can go somewhere and score regularly that might help him stand out as his all round game is pretty average even for mid table teams.
Southampton's only (relatively) strong area is central midfield so I think that was quite a cute way of unfavourably associating him with a certain level.

You say he'll struggle to be more than a squad player, but maybe that's exactly what Newcastle are looking for. So that hardly condemns him. It's nothing that surprising, some teams need or want British players, even if it is only as competition for places. I don't know why there's such incredulity around this, or blatant exaggeration that he is Championship or League 1 standard.

Threesus

Thanks for the goals against city and Leeds, but it’s time to go.

Shark

@NotShark
Honestly I wouldn't be able to choose between him and Tom Cleverly's time at United. Both specialized in hiding and safe cowardly passing.

Status
Not open for further replies.