Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elcabron

I'm happy to keep him, he is John O'Shea/Phil Neville level which is needed in a functioning squad. He was keeping Casemiro out of the time during our initial good run. You simply can't have a 26 man squad full of world class players who will all be happy even with bench role.

Spaghetti

Mom's
He’s one of our best players and we should only consider selling if it’s over 60 million.
just in case they’re reading

Red Stone

Newcastle are filthy rich and he's a useful homegrown player with his best years ahead of him. Somewhere between £30-40m should absolutely be doable.

CM

No I know we need a McT upgrade. Was just commenting on moving Eriksen into that current McT role of barely playing. Eriksen is a first choice for me when fit and can play as that 8 along with Fred or Bruno at a push. If McT gets sold it’s to upgrade on him with a deputy for Casemiro.

Impossible to get that type of player in this window. Would prefer to do the deal in the summer and throw the money straight onto Caicedo. Reckon €70 million would do it so whateverwe get for McT would take a chunk out of that. Surely Caicedo would value playing with Casemiro for a few seasons to develop himself.
If we push Eriksen out of the first team I think he'd pick up more minutes than McTominay has managed. He'd be a decent option to have off the bench if we're struggling to break teams down but I fully expect van de Beek to be on his way out as well, so I could see him getting minutes in a couple of different roles next season. Eriksen has done well for us but ideally you want someone a bit more robust if they're going to be starting 40-50 games a season.

Sorry, the McTominay stuff was just my general thoughts, not necessarily in response to your post.

OleGunnar20

I agree. £60m or we keep him. Genuinely wouldn't sell a homegrown local lad for less who could be a very useful squad player for us.
We'll never sell him then in that case. As a result we won't improve on that position, and if Casemiro gets injured who are we relying on? McTom.

I don't think that's a good idea personally. With some decent scouting we should be able to improve upon him massively for £30m.

Just look as how cheap Enzo and Caicedo were for example. The players are out there in abundance, we just need to find them, and sell subpar place holders such as McTom to fund the moves if needs be.

Skills

Snitch
I know, and you are right - but if we falter and our season pans as a result of a thin squad we would rue it, and I don’t think Erik would allow that. He’s a man on a mission.
That won't be because of Scott McTominay. We'd be fecked anyway if he starts having to play a significant number of minutes.

NoPace

Feels like a summertime move, unless Ten Hag has been told we have very little money and talked himself into Tielemans. Even then, makes more sense to just sell McTominay in the summer and bring in a DM on a free (Lemar, Shkiri) or a young one to backup from and learn from Casemiro. Ajax bought Edson Alvarez for 15M and surely some young south American DM would be happy to be Casemiro's protege and could be signed from there for that much.

RopersReturn

Personally wouldn’t lose any sleepless nights over it. If Newcastle came back with a reasonable offer that would help towards another DM then that would work, but I think Sir Alex might be a bit miffed about it so we should probably just hang on to him.

Skills

Snitch
Feels like a summertime move, unless Ten Hag has been told we have very little money and talked himself into Tielemans. Even then, makes more sense to just sell McTominay in the summer and bring in a DM on a free (Lemar, Shkiri) or a young one to backup from and learn from Casemiro. Ajax bought Edson Alvarez for 15M and surely some young south American DM would be happy to be Casemiro's protege and could be signed from there for that much.
We'll struggle to move him in the summer. I think this opportunity has purely popped up because of Bruno Guimaeraes' injury

MrSingh2002

We'll never sell him then in that case. As a result we won't improve on that position, and if Casemiro gets injured who are we relying on? McTom.

I don't think that's a good idea personally. With some decent scouting we should be able to improve upon him massively for £30m.

Just look as how cheap Enzo and Caicedo were for example. The players are out there in abundance, we just need to find them, and sell subpar place holders such as McTom to fund the moves if needs be.
He's a squad player the same as Anderson, Cleverley, Butt or Fletcher.

Squads need squad players and not 25 first team players. If there's a better player to cover for Casemiro or Eriksen for less money then ok.

But every transfer is a risk and atleast you know what you get with McTominay and I bet he's not paid all that much for it.

ROFLUTION

Hard to get a homegrown player like him who’ll be satisfied with playing here and there. We need local players too.

Only sell if big money comes in that we need for important upgrades. Not if it’s a sideways move.

kaku06

Would people here entertain this?

Mctominay - £30m Out
Tielemens - £20m IN
Depay - £10m IN

MrSingh2002

The deals are out there but do the deal first and then you can sell.

Do you really trust the club right now to sell McTominay and find a better player in this January window?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'd miss him when he goes.

Gotten used to him and Fred but the latter has improved himself massively.

Skills

Snitch
Hard to get a homegrown player like him who’ll be satisfied with playing here and there. We need local players too.

Only sell if big money comes in that we need for important upgrades. Not if it’s a sideways move.
:confused:

Idxomer

Mctominay - £30m Out
Tielemens - £20m IN
Depay - £10m IN
Neither of those two is worth anything close to that with their contracts up in the summer.

OleGunnar20

He's a squad player the same as Anderson, Cleverley, Butt or Fletcher.

Squads need squad players and not 25 first team players. If there's a better player to cover for Casemiro or Eriksen for less money then ok.

But every transfer is a risk and atleast you know what you get with McTominay and I bet he's not paid all that much for it.
The deals are out there but do the deal first and then you can sell.

Do you really trust the club right now to sell McTominay and find a better player in this January window?
Sure, I agree with all of that, and don't trust the club in the transfer market all that much no.

I just don't value his overall contribution at 60m is all. 30m for me and let's roll the dice on a replacement.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
That won't be because of Scott McTominay. We'd be fecked anyway if he starts having to play a significant number of minutes.
Disagree.

I also don’t think he would be replaced in this window.

Don’t forget Donny is out too, and regardless what you think of them they are players who could otherwise deputise if needed.

Zippycup

Who are you realistically going to get to replace him?
We are one injury away from having a very understaffed midfield. It would be beyond stupid to sell him now.

The only way he goes is if he kicks up a massive stink.

redcucumber

Mctominay - £30m Out
Tielemens - £20m IN
Depay - £10m IN
No. Tielemans doesn't suit a ten Hag team and we've just got Weghorst on loan so there's no need to sign Depay on a long-term contract. I'd ship McTominay out.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don’t particularly rate him but it doesn’t seem to make sense to remove a squad player without a replacement nor potentially strengthen another side currently at the top end of the table.
He would weaken them, it would be a smart move by us.

MrSingh2002

Mctominay - £30m Out
Tielemens - £20m IN
Depay - £10m IN
Is Tielemans better than Eriksen as a CM or McTominay as a CDM to cover for Casemiro?

I say no and it's the wrong profile to go for. A Bellingham/De Jong/Enzo could be signed for CM to play ahead of Eriksen or rotate with him.

Casemiro needs CDM cover. We don't really need someone to start ahead of him. If we did it wouldn't be Tielemans. I think our squad is at the point where only very good players should replace our weakest starting 11 players.

Currently that's probably Martial and De Gea. It's getting tougher to improve the starting 11.

Roboc7

His Utd career has peaked, he’ll never be a guaranteed starter again, I expect he will be seeking a move in the summer. He’s only started 6 league games and if Casemiro had of been ready for start of season he wouldn’t have even started that many.

He’s 4th choice out of 4and even as a squad player pretty redundant but it’s pointless selling him unless it’s for a good price and a deal for a replacement is lined up and ready to go, which given our transfer activity would be unlikely.

MrSingh2002

Sure, I agree with all of that, and don't trust the club in the transfer market all that much no.

I just don't value his overall contribution at 60m is all. 30m for me and let's roll the dice on a replacement.
I'm personally not a roll the dice kinda guy. Would rather we went with a player we know for sure would be better than McTominay in our starting lineup or squad. Opinions can differ and that's cool.

I'd rather price him out of a move until we have a better player lined up and don't trust the club to react in the market.

Skills

Snitch
He has so far? For about 5 years.
In the OP:

They have also expressed an interest in Manchester United’s Scott McTominay, after learning the player is worried about a lack of game time under Erik ten Hag. The Scotland international is widely liked by Newcastle’s management team and the North East club will bid if they are offered any encouragement from Old Trafford to do so. Telegraph Sport understands McTominay is understood to be open to moving to St James’ Park.

IRONTUSK

He is a decent squad player imo. Might be harder to replace than we think. Like others have said can't see Ten Hag letting him go at this point.
Maybe sit him down and say if you still want to leave in the summer then part ways

MrSingh2002

There is a middle ground between cheap and £60m.
Casemiro and Eriksen is our best midfield in a 4231. You sell McTominay....

Who do you buy in the January window that is a better CDM than Casemiro or a good backup?

Who do you sign better in CM than Eriksen? We need a top drawer CM that can do it all home and away, and not an Eriksen cover man.

Status
Not open for further replies.