Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

God I wish we could sell now and get some cheap CDM & Tielemans too but never happening

CM10

We should definitely ship him out in the summer (along with a few others) but it was obvious we weren't going to sell without a replacement in January. I hope we have our house in order by then to get these deals done quickly.

croadyman

We should definitely ship him out in the summer (along with a few others) but it was obvious we weren't going to sell without a replacement in January. I hope we have our house in order by then to get these deals done quickly.
Can only be because can't get that backup CDM Erik wants until the summer

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Can see them being ruthlessly sold in the summer, mind.

Green Arrow

Good they need to be sold along with Baily, Telles, Williams, Wan Bisakka, Axel, Donny (if he's fit by then) along Jones (But he's out of contract).

Skills

Snitch
Well, we also complain that we have no squad depth, so what's the right thing to do in this moment?
Sell. McTominay isn't viable squad depth anyway because of how bad he is compared to Casemiro.

What's Real Madrid's alternative to Tchouameni? They cashed out at his max value because as a club you've got to think much longer term than what your current manager wants.

Judas

Open to offers
You've got to be a special kind of dim to think we should be weakening our thin squad even further. The rest of this season is going to be such hard work. I get people don't rate this fella, I don't particularly, he's not the level we need. But he's not going to be replaced this window, so why would we bin him off? Same goes for Maguire. So many babies on here.

Skills

Snitch
Agreed. We just do not have the bodies for cover right now, nor the money to get something sorted out the now.
The money situation is not going to change in the summer. FFP is the limiting factor in our spend. And selling him actually does give us money to spend now

CM10

Ten Hag's in an unenviable position that if he agrees to let go of any players, he's likely doing so knowing no replacement will be coming in.

This club doesn't move quickly enough when it comes to signing players, and there's the added complication of having no money to spend. If it really is the case that we have to sell to buy, that's going to make things difficult for us even in the summer window.

Judas

Open to offers
Sell. McTominay isn't viable squad depth anyway because of how bad he is compared to Casemiro.

What's Real Madrid's alternative to Tchouameni? They cashed out at his max value because as a club you've got to think much longer term than what your current manager wants.
He's one of the few bits of depth we have though? No one else is coming in. I don't get how obvious it is that it isn't logical to sell right now. You'll be the first to complain if we implode due to injuries etc. in the latter part of the season.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The money situation is not going to change in the summer. FFP is the limiting factor in our spend. And selling him actually does give us money to spend now
It's a good point but the money we get for him in the summer will help, Maguire too. Just think they have had a look and there obviously isn't anyone available / too little time to sell and him and buy a replacement. Yes, long term he isn't good enough. Right now though I can understand it not being possible to shift him and get someone else, and rather use him for depth now and wait until the summer. As I said, same with Maguire.

iHicksy

Honestly this is why Real Madrid piss all over us as a club. Perez wouldn't even ask for his managers input on this.
What a weird take. They aren't even remotely comparable. Yes he gets rid of deadwood as soon as it becomes evident they aren;t good enough. But Perez doesn't sell players under the managers nose mid season when that position already has no depth. He also speaks to Ancelotti about transfers all the time as Carlo has spoken about on several occasions.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Can see them being ruthlessly sold in the summer, mind.
About time we behaved as such and emotionally shipped players out as we bring them in. Tielmans on a free in the summer can replace him and be more useful in the squad. Win win for all methinks. But yes, about time we more ruthlessly get players to leave than emotionally let them stay.

KjaAnd

And who do we start if one or two of our CM's get injured?

Skills

Snitch
I don't know - what do Madrid do if Tchouameni gets injured? Or if Rodri gets injured for Man City? What do we do if a meteorite hits Old Trafford?

Judas

Open to offers
I don't know - what do Madrid do if Tchouameni gets injured? Or if Rodri gets injured for Man City? What do we do if a meteorite hits Old Trafford?
So you don't have a good argument. It's just black and white thinking "me no like McTominay, me want him sold". Great stuff.

romufc

Ye, sell then blame the owners for not bringing another player in Jan, I assume that is your plan right?

Manutd in midfield have Eriksen, Casemiro, McTominay and Fred. That is 4 players to fill 2 positions correct?

If Casemiro or Eriksen injured or cant play you want us to go 5 months with 1 backup? Just Fred?

Clearly, you have no clue about the Madrid squad. They have Tchouameni, Modric, Kroos, Cammavinga, Valverde, Cabellos who play midfield. That is 6. They didn't have 4 and sold one.

romufc

If Tchouameni gets injured, Cammavinga, Modric, Kroos, Valverde all play midfield. If Rodri gets injured they have a player called Kalvin Phillips to play. Please educate yourself on other squads.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's one of the few bits of depth we have though? No one else is coming in. I don't get how obvious it is that it isn't logical to sell right now. You'll be the first to complain if we implode due to injuries etc. in the latter part of the season.
Fellow muppet, which train are we jumping on next??

Godfather

Keep now and sell in the summer. Show ambition in the window and get two top class CM in.

AneRu

Ye, sell then blame the owners for not bringing another player in Jan, I assume that is your plan right?

Manutd in midfield have Eriksen, Casemiro, McTominay and Fred. That is 4 players to fill 2 positions correct?

If Casemiro or Eriksen injured or cant play you want us to go 5 months with 1 backup? Just Fred?

Clearly, you have no clue about the Madrid squad. They have Tchouameni, Modric, Kroos, Cammavinga, Valverde, Cabellos who play midfield. That is 6. They didn't have 4 and sold one.
So you are saying there is no midfielder in the £30m - £40m range that we cant get to come in from all over the world to fulfill a squad role that Scot clearly can't? This is where we have lacked proactivity as a club, this is the highest price we will ever get for McTominay and we know that he wont strengthen Newcastle that much and we can get a player from anywhere to come and replace him.

There are about five leagues in Europe and South America that we know have players that can hack it in this league so if our scouts can not find a DM with better technical atteibutes that McT to enable us to take advantage of this boon then they should be sacked. If Murtough and ETH cannot see this then we aren't going anywhere with them too because these are decisions that turn top four sttugglers into challengers and looking at our February schedule we really need genuine squad depth not making up numbers with limited players like Scot McTominay who the manager wont play unless really forced.

Idxomer

Martinez could play there. Yes, Ten Hag tried him there and didn't work out long-term but as an emergency option, he wouldn't be any worse than McTominay who isn't exactly a natural defensive midfielder. He even had a great performance in that position against Chelsea in the CL.

Sparky Rhiwabon

People saying “sell him in the summer” don’t understand that Newcastle are willing to pay good money for him NOW. If we don’t sell them Scott, they will just buy someone else, probably someone better. Who else is going to pay that sort of money in the summer for a player whose value goes down every time he plays?

SATA

Tielemans is wank as well. Can’t believe there are people suggesting the club to bring him in and bin McT. Not every new toy is good and shiny

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Honestly this is why Real Madrid piss all over us as a club. Perez wouldn't even ask for his managers input on this.
Yeah, why don’t we pull the rug from under our manager. We have played something like 10 games in the last 28 days and play another 10 in the next 30.
Our coach is right to worry about numbers.

strandty

People saying “sell him in the summer” don’t understand that Newcastle are willing to pay good money for him NOW. If we don’t sell them Scott, they will just buy someone else, probably someone better. Who else is going to pay that sort of money in the summer for a player whose value goes down every time he plays?
Completely agree. If someone is offering good money and following recent performances there's no guarantee he will even get notable minutes, we need to snap their hand off. Newcastle have the muscle to say "alright then, cya later" and go and splash double what they're offering towards the end of the window or in the summer.

Judas

Open to offers
But we wouldn't do anything with the money this window. We'd then be a man down, no matter what you think of him, we need the bodies. I don't get how people could be alright with our thin weak squad getting thinner especially in that area.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Tielemans is wank as well. Can’t believe there are people suggesting the club to bring him in and bin McT. Not every new toy is good and shiny
Please say this louder.:angel:

romufc

So you are saying there is no midfielder in the £30m - £40m range that we cant get to come in from all over the world to fulfill a squad role that Scot clearly can't? This is where we have lacked proactivity as a club, this is the highest price we will ever get for McTominay and we know that he wont strengthen Newcastle that much and we can get a player from anywhere to come and replace him.

There are about five leagues in Europe and South America that we know have players that can hack it in this league so if our scouts can not find a DM with better technical atteibutes that McT to enable us to take advantage of this boon then they should be sacked. If Murtough and ETH cannot see this then we aren't going anywhere with them too because these are decisions that turn top four sttugglers into challengers and looking at our February schedule we really need genuine squad depth not making up numbers with limited players like Scot McTominay who the manager wont play unless really forced.
There are various issues with your post, most of them look like lack of understand of the situation.

1. I never said there is no player available for that price.
2. First, you have to scout a player, find out if he is better than we have, negotiate prices, terms. Yes, on football manager this can be done in a day but in reality, no. It takes time.
3. That means you are selling McT and then forcing a buy to replace him.
4. Second bolded part, scouts were sacked, we have a new team right now. So clearly, you have not been paying attention.
5. Saying Murtough and Ten Hag cannot see this and we aren't going anywhere with Ten Hag shows again, a severe lack of understanding. I say this because as a fan, if you cannot see where we are going with Ten Hag, then there is a problem with you not him.

What were your season predictions for United? Title challengers? Top 4? Top 6?

So Ten Hag and Murtough with the process have changed your expectations in 6 months, but you think they cannot see the issues at the club?

Why are we putting pressure on Ten Hag to challenge in his first season?

RyRy11

It'd be nice if we had another DM to fill Csemiro's role when he needs a rest. Scott, Fred, Eriksen aren't suited to play that role at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.