Scottish Football 21-22

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
New season starts today.

Rangers vs Aberdeen kicking off soon. Morelos starts. Will be interesting to see what happens with him considering this is a big season for Rangers. They ran out of gas last year but definitely looked like they had the potential to beat Celtic in the title race and this year will make it 10 in a row for Celtic so there is a lot on the line.

I’m interested in how Shankland does at United, looks like the most promising Scottish Striker coming through at the moment and finally someone that can do well for us there - I actually wonder if he does well in the first few games if Rangers might put in a cheeky bid for him.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Might watch Rangers today. Be interesting to see if Karamoko Dembele starts getting proper game time for Celtic too.
I think he will. Been getting quite a bit of game time in their mini pre-season and seems to be a part of the first 18.

United58

Is it earlier than usual, due to the previous season being abandoned? Are they anticipating a winter lockdown? I can certainly see football getting a winter break once the flu season kicks off

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Who have Rangers signed this season?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Who have Rangers signed this season?
Hagi on a perm deal. Defoe (ST), McGlaughlin (GK) and Balogun (CB) who are three senior free transfers (Balogun has had a good game today). Bassey (LB), young player from Leicester on a free too.

Seems like any other major transfers will be hinging on a Morelos deal being made.

Very comfortable 1-0 win for Rangers there. Aberdeen look like they've stalled under DM.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I still can't believe they cancelled their season during Covid. It wasn't so bad that they crowned Celtic champions, but I would be right pissed off if I were a Hearts supporter. They were only 4 points from safety with plenty of games to go. Harsh decision in my opinion...

soulfox63

I still can't believe they cancelled their season during Covid. It wasn't so bad that they crowned Celtic champions, but I would be right pissed off if I were a Hearts supporter. They were only 4 points from safety with plenty of games to go. Harsh decision in my opinion...
Yes harsh indeed, especially as they have not cancelled the Cup. ( still a chance for Celtic’s treble. )
The season could and should have finished. EPL and Championship managed it. Even L1, L2 and National league play offs were played.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Why is Celtic not showing up at League table? What is happening?

Edit: Bug from the website I saw. Nevermind.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
What's the point of starting the league so soon? They couldn't get access to interesting free agents and some clubs will loose some players until September.
League’s tied to a new Sky TV deal and are shitting it they can’t fulfill the full set of fixtures and will lose income. That’s why the panicked and ended the season prematurely even though it unfairly shafted half a dozen clubs.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Hagi on a perm deal. Defoe (ST), McGlaughlin (GK) and Balogun (CB) who are three senior free transfers (Balogun has had a good game today). Bassey (LB), young player from Leicester on a free too.

Seems like any other major transfers will be hinging on a Morelos deal being made.

Very comfortable 1-0 win for Rangers there. Aberdeen look like they've stalled under DM.

We have, the style of football is getting worse too. No-one expects us to compete with Rangers and Celtic over a season but we do expect to be competitive in the games themselves. Too many weak performances over the years against the big 2.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
League’s tied to a new Sky TV deal and are shitting it they can’t fulfill the full set of fixtures and will lose income. That’s why the panicked and ended the season prematurely even though it unfairly shafted half a dozen clubs.
But with so many leagues still playing the SPL clubs missed many market opportunities, because many players will go on vacations now.

A9X SJ

Didn’t think Rangers looked up to much today.... Neither did Aberdeen to be honest
think Celtic will get 3 or 4 the morra

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
But with so many leagues still playing the SPL clubs missed many market opportunities, because many players will go on vacations now.
Yeah it’s been a big feck up. Problem is everyone has a massive agenda up here which obscures any rational thinking.

Reiver

We have, the style of football is getting worse too. No-one expects us to compete with Rangers and Celtic over a season but we do expect to be competitive in the games themselves. Too many weak performances over the years against the big 2.
In fairness, I think he just took Aberdeen as far as they could go and then some staleness set in. There's no shame in that, it's almost impossible for any of the other clubs to consistently finish best of the rest.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
In fairness, I think he just took Aberdeen as far as they could go and then some staleness set in. There's no shame in that, it's almost impossible for any of the other clubs to consistently finish best of the rest.
He has to an extent but he's also a part of the reason that it's set in. Aberdeen fans expectations are qualify for Europe and hopefully get to a cup final. He's just got a very negative mindset these days, came out at the start of the season saying hopefully we can get a cup semi. There's just zero ambition from him. Getting to a semi is a bare minimum unless we draw Celtic/Rangers in an earlier round. He's done a great job on the whole but now our football is so poor and our season's are near meaningless.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Yeah it’s been a big feck up. Problem is everyone has a massive agenda up here which obscures any rational thinking.
One thing that bothers me is that despite the PT market being good and cheap, Scottish clubs usually hire obscure Portuguese players who we don't even rate them here. Is it a scouting problem or is it bad agents?

Lay

One thing that bothers me is that despite the PT market being good and cheap, Scottish clubs usually hire obscure Portuguese players who we don't even rate them here. Is it a scouting problem or is it bad agents?
Who was that guy who managed to get Rangers eliminated by an Luxembourg side?

Think it was the time that Dalcio was there and boy did he look woeful

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Edouard is off surely in this window. He's too good for the SPL.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Who was that guy who managed to get Rangers eliminated by an Luxembourg side?

Think it was the time that Dalcio was there and boy did he look woeful
Pedro Caixinha :D He had a very underwhelming career at PT and had to go to Mexico to find a job (probably has a very influential agent in that country, can't find other reason).
And the transfer activity was pretty terrible: some midtable players from Mexico, and apart from a veteran Bruno Alves who was still a very decent defender despite his age, all the other hirings were strange. Bare in mind that Candeias was not bad, but a player more suited to counter attacking midtable teams.
Dalcio was strange, because as a Benfica fan he was never a player with potential.

Lay

Pedro Caixinha :D He had a very underwhelming career at PT and had to go to Mexico to find a job (probably has a very influential agent in that country, can't find other reason).
And the transfer activity was pretty terrible: some midtable players from Mexico, and apart from a veteran Bruno Alves who was still a very decent defender despite his age, all the other hirings were strange. Bare in mind that Candeias was not bad, but a player more suited to counter attacking midtable teams.
Dalcio was strange, because as a Benfica fan he was never a player with potential.
Yeah he signed Carlos Pena who was an alcoholic if memory serves me right. Didn’t last long and was sent back to Mexico

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Yeah he signed Carlos Pena who was an alcoholic if memory serves me right. Didn’t last long and was sent back to Mexico
How ironic is an alcoholic signing for a club who plays in a city full of distilleries?

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
2 Aberdeen players have test positive for Coronavirus. Eight Aberdeen players are self isolating in total and will miss 3 Scottish Premier League matches.

Bad start to new season for them.

Baxter

2 Aberdeen players have test positive for Coronavirus. Eight Aberdeen players are self isolating in total and will miss 3 Scottish Premier League matches.

Bad start to new season for them.
Were out in the city centre after losing to Rangers, and before the lockdown was re-introduced.
Gives McInnes all the excuses in the world to play his shite football to scrape a draw, which is most disappointing.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I’m interested to see what happens to Aberdeen/the players. Could set the precedent for other leagues to follow if they’re heavily fined or have other sanctions placed.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
All the years Rangers were out the league the other teams like Aberdeen really dropped the ball in not putting themselves in a more advantageous situation for when Rangers made it bAck.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Aside from signalling a message to the wider public, I'm not quite sure what the thinking is in the Scottish Government calling off the St Johnstone - Aberdeen game on Saturday. Aberdeen's 8 players are also unavailable for the two following league games against Hamilton and Celtic, so surely those games need to be called off too. Otherwise St Johnstone will play Aberdeen at a later date when they're probably full strength, whereas Hamilton and Celtic get relatively easy games. And equally what becomes the precedent for calling off games? It might be in the interest of some teams who are struggling with injuries to get a couple missing with C19 if there's an automatic non-punitive call-off in place.

JohnS

Supports
St. Johnstone
It's probably just that there is no time before the St Johnstone game to prove that the rest of the squad are unaffected, while they will have been able to demonstrate self isolation plus a couple of negative tests prior to the other fixtures. I do feel that St Johnstone are the losers in this situation, and Aberdeen have effectively been let off from playing a fixture with a weakened team. Would have sent a hell of a message if Aberdeen had to concede the St Johnstone game then play the other fixtures 8 men down.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Are the games not on tv anywhere today? Are fans allowed back in the ground or are they just being told their clubs aren't important enough to support?

JohnS

Supports
St. Johnstone
Are the games not on tv anywhere today? Are fans allowed back in the ground or are they just being told their clubs aren't important enough to support?
The St Johnstone v Aberdeen game was the scheduled sky game. All the games are available to stream from the home team's website, varying from £12 to £20.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The Scottish government is warning that it could call a halt to the football season after Celtic defender Boli Bolingoli breached coronavirus rules.

Bolingoli admitted he played in Sunday's draw with Kilmarnock at Rugby Park despite having recently returned from Spain without quarantining.

The defender said he was "guilty of an error of judgement" and apologised.

Scottish Justice Secretary Humza Yousaf described the player's actions as "utterly unacceptable."

The government is in talks with the club and Scottish football authorities to establish the facts before deciding on a course of action.
A week after the Aberdeen case, Celtic defender Bolingoli played in the Kilmarnock game without quarantining after a trip to Spain...ffs.

Lay

They should just deduct points.

Baxter

A week after the Aberdeen case, Celtic defender Bolingoli played in the Kilmarnock game without quarantining after a trip to Spain...ffs.
Sturgeon says that Aberdeen or Celtic won’t play in the coming week.

Turning into a shambles.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Sturgeon says that Aberdeen or Celtic won’t play in the coming week.

Turning into a shambles.
Yeah, after dealing with the Covid situation fairly okay we've managed to make a real arse of the last 2 weeks (Football + Exam stuff).