Scottish Football Thread

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'll probably end up talking to myself, but hey, I've not seen one here, and I need one.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I've only been up a few others and the banter if flowing, eh?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Shit joke aside, it is a real shame the the SPL is not given more TV money. I remember the days when it seemed like half the England team played for Rangers. That's unthinkable now.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It's not just that, but the only teams that do receive the money are Celtic and Rangers, with the rest being left to fight for the scraps.

The attendances are getting worse by the week. Only 1607 went to the St Johnstone vs Aberdeen game, but who would want to go? It was an awful game, with a dire Aberdeen team prevailing with what may have been the worst ever goal to be scored from the halfway line.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Perhaps the discussion over Celtic's UEFA charge would be better if merged into this thread, to keep the FF clean.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Honestly, it's a very poor league with awful teams. 10-20 years ago, Celtic & Rangers were similar standards to the like of Porto, Benfica, now they'd get relegated if they played in the Super Liga.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Thankfully, the SPL has agreed to let teams implement safe standing into their stadiums. Hopefully, in the long run, this will help us to increase atmosphere at stadiums, as well as attendances.

Cal?

CR7 fan
That's actually a very good move. There is no reason why the Old Firm clubs can't be at a similar level to their counterparts in the smaller EU countries.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
They should go down to 3 divisions of 8 teams. Top flight plays 4 times against the top division, and twice against the 2nd division. 2nd Division plays twice against the top division, twice against the 2nd division, twice against the 3rd division. Top division against 2nd Division away games should be played in midweek. Total of 44 games for a top flight team.

Over time Scottish football would return to the normal of the rest of Europe I think. With 16 teams that play the big boys twice a season, eventually they could just go back to 16 teams. Wider pool of players for Scotland that play against the top teams every year, whilst still feeling like relegation for a team when they end up playing "Stenhousemuir" and the like.

I have believed this for a while, but I'm not really interested in Scottish Football anymore.

Sewelly The Geordie

Lack of TV money is fecking up the SPL.

No way the Old Firm can be competitive in Europe now. They can't even box clever in terms of player recruitment to make up the gap like the Portuguese clubs do because of work permits.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
They should go down to 3 divisions of 8 teams. Top flight plays 4 times against the top division, and twice against the 2nd division. 2nd Division plays twice against the top division, twice against the 2nd division, twice against the 3rd division. Top division against 2nd Division away games should be played in midweek. Total of 44 games for a top flight team.

Over time Scottish football would return to the normal of the rest of Europe I think. With 16 teams that play the big boys twice a season, eventually they could just go back to 16 teams. Wider pool of players for Scotland that play against the top teams every year, whilst still feeling like relegation for a team when they end up playing "Stenhousemuir" and the like.

I have believed this for a while, but I'm not really interested in Scottish Football anymore.
That sounds helllishly complicated for a nation that remains confused about the top/bottom six split after 33 games.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It's not just that, but the only teams that do receive the money are Celtic and Rangers, with the rest being left to fight for the scraps.

The attendances are getting worse by the week. Only 1607 went to the St Johnstone vs Aberdeen game, but who would want to go? It was an awful game, with a dire Aberdeen team prevailing with what may have been the worst ever goal to be scored from the halfway line.
It was drab, although in fairness few fans could get to the ground because of the heavy fog, gales, snow, black ice, etc.

rcoobc

That sounds helllishly complicated for a nation that remains confused about the top/bottom six split after 33 games.
It's actually as simple as anything, a lot simpler than their split mechanism. With the split, you can only write down fixtures for half a season (well untrue but effectively). With my method, you can write it down for the full season. With the split, you can have teams playing more games home/away or playing teams odd numbers of times. With my method, they play even numbers of games against the teams they play.

Edit - Currently UEFA require a minimum of 8 teams to form a league. If they ever increased that my idea would be fecked, so they better get it in quick.

prateik

What happened in the last few months?
Last I checked, Rangers had opened up a HUGE lead at the top and I thought the league was wrapped up already.
Checked the league table and they lead by just 1 point now.

Injuries or just poor performances?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
What happened in the last few months?
Last I checked, Rangers had opened up a HUGE lead at the top and I thought the league was wrapped up already.
Checked the league table and they lead by just 1 point now.

Injuries or just poor performances?
Steven Naismith got injured and we've turned to shite.

SCM

The police advised due to the gale force winds that night for fans from Aberdeen not to travel under safety grounds hence the very low attendence. The weather up here that week was very bad and they had advised essential travel only when the game was to be played and the Forth Road Bridge was shut to all traffic due to the winds during this spell of bad weather that week.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
This may be a better place to continue the discussion that was developing in the Old Firm game match thread.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Went to see Morton playing Ayr yesterday. Was actually a decent game of football which we won 3-1. Some impressive stuff on display.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Rangers out of the Scottish Cup. All on the league for them now.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Rangers out of the Scottish Cup. All on the league for them now.
That was shite from Rangers. Routine victory for United.

The team's broken though. Asset-stripping has forced McCoist to play a midget poacher as our back-to-goal target man.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
That was shite from Rangers. Routine victory for United.

The team's broken though. Asset-stripping has forced McCoist to play a midget poacher as our back-to-goal target man.
Can't see Rangers getting anything now this season.

They've looked good on one or two occasions without Jelavic, because they actually played some football and didn't just lump it forward to the man up front. Despite that, it doesn't disguise the fact that they've lost their main goalscoring outlet, and I have no idea where they go from here.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
With all the talk being about Rangers right now, some seem to be forgetting all of the trouble that Hearts are in. They're in a dire financial situation as well.

rcoobc

Hearts have announced they have now paid an outstanding tax bill in full.

The Advocate General for Scotland presented a winding-up order against the club on January 27 before it was published on February 7.

HM Revenue & Customs gave Hearts eight days to pay the outstanding fees which the club confirmed were completed on Tuesday.

"Heart of Midlothian FC today announces that the outstanding amount due to HMRC in relation to the recent winding up notice has been paid in full," an official club statement read.

Paid

The Edinburgh club paid £500,000 last year following a similar court order having been forced to part with further money in 2009 and 2010.

Hearts' financial plight has been noted on a number of occasions with players having had delayed wages due to a lack of funds at Tynecastle.

January was the first time in four months Hearts players received their money on time which means the club managed to avoid further ramifications from the Scottish Premier League.

Scottish football continues to dominate the headlines for off-field reasons, with SPL giants Rangersannouncing on Monday that they were to enter administration.
Hearts settle tax debts | Football News | Sky Sports

Sounds like they are unlikely to go under.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Looks like they're out of trouble for the moment then. Still, with Mad Vlad in charge you never know what's round the corner for them.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Will be very interesting to see if Motherwell can pip Rangers to 2nd this season. That's assuming that Rangers will still be a club.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Does it even matter? 2nd doesn't go into CL anymore does it?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Yep, I'm pretty sure 2nd place got their CL spot back for now. It does matter for a side to just break the Old Firm monopoly at all in Scotland.

kietotheworld

Does it even matter? 2nd doesn't go into CL anymore does it?
Yes they do, they got their coefficent back (somehow), 2nd place gets a Qualifying slot now. It doesn't matter though, Rangers have foregone the opportunity to play in Europe if they qualify.

Sarni

How in the name of God did they get that CL spot back? I hardly remember a Scottish side winning a game in Europe.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
How in the name of God did they get that CL spot back? I hardly remember a Scottish side winning a game in Europe.
It was rather bizarre. No idea how we did it, but we just suddenly had that spot back. Must've been a nation above us who did even worse in Europe last season.

Sarni

They jumped above Switzerland who had two teams this season (Basel and Zurich). Don't worry though, they are back behind them now, also Austria, Israel and Cyprus have leaped above them as well.

rcoobc

The coefficient lags behind, so we already know what next years coefficient will be. So the 2011 coefficient applies for the 2012 season domestically, and the 2013 season in Europe. Scotland actually had a lower coefficient in the 2011 season (the one that applies for this years qualifying) than in the 2010 season but because Switzerland lost its 2005 year when Basel got to the UEFA Cup Quarter Final and Thun came 3rd in its Champions League group, they went from 28.375 to 24.900 and so lost its second Champions League spot.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Never really understood the co-efficients to be honest, but that only makes it a whole lot more confusing than it already was to me.