Scousers disregard for the FA Cup is despicable

Re_Deus

Little Englander
Congratulations to Burnley for dumping Athletico Liverlencia out of the cup. Their arrogant, disrespectful attitude towards the game deserved nothing less than a humiliating defeat. Foreign managers need to know just how important and historical the FA Cup is (especially Liverpool since its supporters are always droning on about their glory period of yesteryear) and ought to treat it with the respect it deserves. I'm sure in Spain the cup means nothing to the Spaniards but OUR cup is unique and clubs that take part should be obligated to field their strongest possible teams.

Thousands of Burnley fans braved the freezing cold, as well as many scousers, hoping to see a spectacle worthy of a premiership team. Instead they saw a pathetic team of youngsters and foreign mercenaries who were promptly played off the park by brave Burnley.

Ferguson can be forgiven for his dismissive attitude towards Exeter since he's won the trophy a few times and given his experience, justifiably felt the mediocre team he sent out would be enough to overcome little Exeter. And he also appears to have learnt his lesson since it looks as if Exeter will face the full might of the Mancs (for which Exeter fans will be grateful, seeing as they were denied Man Utd's superstars in the first encounter).
But Benitez has no excuse. This was his debut in the competition and he has embarrassed himself, his club and insulted the FA Cup and all that it stands for.

GroundSide

Manchester..It' s gotta be a loose fit... Don't ne
Re_Deus said:
Thousands of Burnley fans braved the freezing cold, as well as many scousers, hoping to see a spectacle worthy of a premiership team. Instead they saw a pathetic team of youngsters and foreign mercenaries who were promptly played off the park by brave Burnley.
I don't think those Burnley fans are going to be to bothered about that tonight.

Re_Deus

Little Englander
Of course it devalues the tournament. Fielding reserves suggests their main players are too good for the FA Cup, which of course isn't the case. They weren't even good enough to beat Burnley.

Giordano

Gotta give the kids a chance though, their more eager to actually play than the seniors.

spinoza

Paz's ion
Re_Deus said:
Of course it devalues the tournament. Fielding reserves suggests their main players are too good for the FA Cup, which of course isn't the case. They weren't even good enough to beat Burnley.
Or it suggests that the first team players need a rest

You've got to blood kids at some point. You're being inconsistent - I thought you wanted more good English players.

They're not going to become world beaters without playing a match you know :smirk:

Mr. Wood

Circle Jerkin' Wannabe
spinoza said:
Or it suggests that the first team players need a rest

You've got to blood kids at some point. You're being inconsistent - I thought you wanted more good English players.

They're not going to become world beaters without playing a match you know :smirk:
Good shout, that. What Redeus is saying is that he'd prefer to see the England's great footballing reputation soiled by foreigners like Luis Garcia and Fernando Morientes rather than give great young English prospects such as Darren Potter and Stephen Warnock a chance in the most historic and respected cup competition in the world.

Sonny Feehan

You can't blood more than one or two kids at a time against a physically tough team like Burnley, away, on a shit field, in a monsoon. Stupidity on Benitez's part if he was really bothered about winning the game. In one sense, United's performance against Exeter was more dissapointing in that we were at home against a conference team and we thought our kids were so good.

DJSpaz

Incredibly Stupid Bitter Biased Embarrassing Caf C
Like Nottingham Forest...you've won it two times..
Re_Deus said:
How do you know the main players werent good enough to beat Burnley when they didnt play in the match? :houllier:

DJSpaz

spinoza said:
The defence was silly

But I thought Potter and Warnock played alright - Potter better than Warnock

Warnock was alright, gave us some much needed (and elsewhere lacking) passion....Potter was fairly poor IMO, didnt retain possession as well as he's capable of and wasnt intelligent enough on the ball.....Welsh did quite well, was disappointed when he went off.

The goal aside, Whitbread was alright but for me, the 'senior players' (Baros and Dudek aside) were the ones who let us down.

spinoza

Paz's ion
Potter did put in one or two decent crosses... which I remember someone saying that John Barnes was the last person to do that ;)

He gave you width, which is better than what Kewell does sometimes

To be fair, I missed the last 20 minutes.

DJSpaz

spinoza said:
Potter did put in one or two decent crosses... which I remember someone saying that John Barnes was the last person to do that ;)

He gave you width, which is better than what Kewell does sometimes

To be fair, I missed the last 20 minutes.
I've seen Potter do a lot better in the past, so i was disappointed with him.

The defence was no better than ok, hyypia was poor, Whitbread was weak for the goal and Raven was hit and miss...traore was ok til he tried to search for some skill on the ball that he doesnt possess.... :rolleyes:

DJSpaz

spinoza said:
The Singaporeans were drooling over him at one point

Some actually thought they could "import" him...
Import him? We already did that, he's american ;)

He's a decent prospect, his reading of the game is sound and his positioning is ok too, i'm confident he could progress and have a good future.

He wasnt too bad tonight, just needed to be stronger in the tackle in the run-up to the goal. Raw, but he has talent and will learn.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
That was embarrasing.I've supported everything RAFA has done so far this season.
He should have started more experienced players in the game.It is the oldest tournament.It is an important trophy.
Hopefully next season he will take it a little more serious.Anyway we can now concentrate on the CL and league position and I will continue to support our MGR no matter what.

Keane16

Redcafe Minister for Guinness Therapy
Disrespectful?, well, I doubt it to be honest. I couldn't believe it when I saw the line up though. This was always going to be a stuggle, with Liverpool a bit dejected after Saturday, the conditions last night and it being Burnley's Cup Final etc....shocking management you'd have to say.

Totally different to the United scenario. We had non-league side at home and it was just an utterly gutless performance.

dmode

In the beginning you field the kids and at the end you field the superstars along with some new talents, this is the idea... o god why do these kind of things happen to sousers.

Funny!

DJSpaz

I dont blame the manager at all, if he'd fielded SG and Carragher, and started Baros - and one or two of them had picked up injuries, Benitez would've been crucified for that....

In any case, the kids werent the problem for me, they at least showed some passion....the so-called '1st team' squad members were the ones who let us down, Hyypia, Traore, Biscan and Nunez were the ones who disappointed me the most, not the kids. Warnock, Welsh, Baros and Mellor were the only ones who showed any fighting spirit.

Looking Busy

DJS said:
I dont blame the manager at all, if he'd fielded SG and Carragher, and started Baros - and one or two of them had picked up injuries, Benitez would've been crucified for that....

In any case, the kids werent the problem for me, they at least showed some passion....the so-called '1st team' squad members were the ones who let us down, Hyypia, Traore, Biscan and Nunez were the ones who disappointed me the most, not the kids. Warnock, Welsh, Baros and Mellor were the only ones who showed any fighting spirit.
But considering it the only major trophy you would have had a chance of winning, and it was at Burnley, it was a shocking decision to rest so many first team players.

Also what is it your manager picking Triore (sp) all the time even Houllier knew he was shit and dropped him.

DJSpaz

Looking Busy said:
But considering it the only major trophy you would have had a chance of winning, and it was at Burnley, it was a shocking decision to rest so many first team players.

Also what is it your manager picking Triore (sp) all the time even Houllier knew he was shit and dropped him.

Not sure how being in the last 64 of a cup equates to a better chance of winning it than being in the last 16, or the last 4...but anyway....

As for Traore, GH picked him a lot. And this season, he's played pretty well, major improvement. He fecked up last night, but if one bad mistake makes you shite, then Roy Keane declared himself shite against Madrid a few years ago...

jrsenior

I blame Champions league myself, these days it is more important
to get a 4th. spot in the league than winning the FA-cup, sad.
Compare the joy felt as a fan when winning the FA-cup compared to the
joy of coming 4th. in the league.
That said the clubs should be aware of this by now, Liverpool have had years
to build a squad strong enough to be able to deal with injuries and still
be able to field a team with good experienced squad players, a couple of promising young lads and a couple of first team players in the FA-cup.

Looking Busy

DJS said:
Not sure how being in the last 64 of a cup equates to a better chance of winning it than being in the last 16, or the last 4...but anyway....

As for Traore, GH picked him a lot. And this season, he's played pretty well, major improvement. He fecked up last night, but if one bad mistake makes you shite, then Roy Keane declared himself shite against Madrid a few years ago...
I don't rate him at all. He has a couple of good moments followed by a shite few weeks.

As for the cup. You may win the carling cup, but lest face it, it's a shite trophy that no one really cares about, you don't have anywhere near the quality to win in Europe and there's more chance of me becoming a brain surgeon than Liverpool winning the league with their current squad.

An Extremely Boring Man

Retired 39,9999 not out
DJS said:

Hehe

Comparing Djimi Traore with Roy Keane...

DJS has finally lost that little sense he had...

Looking Busy

jrsenior said:
I blame Champions league myself, these days it is more important
to get a 4th. spot in the league than winning the FA-cup, sad.
Compare the joy felt as a fan when winning the FA-cup compared to the
joy of coming 4th. in the league.
That said the clubs should be aware of this by now, Liverpool have had years
to build a squad strong enough to be able to deal with injuries and still
be able to field a team with good experienced squad players, a couple of promising young lads and a couple of first team players in the FA-cup.
And Liverpool aren't going to even make forth at this rate. Wonder if Steven Gerrard will be happy trudging around in the UEFA Cup next year. I think not.

Nate

Poached vegetables a speciality
The FA cup has been on the slide for years.

Nothing you can do to get it back to it's former glory when all the money is focused on league placings and Champions league footy.

DJSpaz

Looking Busy said:
And Liverpool aren't going to even make forth at this rate. Wonder if Steven Gerrard will be happy trudging around in the UEFA Cup next year. I think not.
How does our reserves losing in the cup equate to us not being able to finish 44th? I dont really the correlation there...