Sean Goss

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I am assuming all premiership clubs have an U-21 team ? How about they all get together and mirror the fixture list ? Thursday or Friday night fixtures, every week there is a concurrent Premier League match. So say United are playing Arsenal at the Emirates, play the same fixture a couple days earlier at Old Trafford. Simple.
Not all in the U21 PL, I assume they have a team in a different league maybe. Right now there is 2 divisions of 12 teams for the U21 PL. Just play everyone 3 times and you got 33 matches or something along those lines and then you have a decent amount of matches. 22 matches just isn't enough though.

khoazany

Then, as my previous post indicated, he would have been eligible for the u19 uefa youth league had United qualified for CL right?
That's not how it works.UEFA Youth League this year is for youngsters born in 1996 or below and he was born in October 1995.

khoazany

Interesting to note that he seems to be ahead of Harrop in the U21s pecking order recently.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Interesting to note that he seems to be ahead of Harrop in the U21s pecking order recently.
He is probably getting some playtime as he didnt feature much this season, there is no way he is ahead of Harrop in the pecking order as Harrop is twice the player Goss is. They are not that similar but Harrop is much better.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Midfield maestro Donald Love ahead of Harrop too. :lol:

On Goss though, the little I saw of him for the u18s last year he along with Harrop are the ones that stood out for me. I was looking forward to seeing more of him this year but he's barely featured and had that injury. His recent performances he's looked quite good I think and is another to add to the list of talented midfielders we have here.

It just emphasized the lack of games too as someone like Harrop misses a match to make space for others and all of a sudden he is going a month without playing a match.

m1y2

On Goss though, the little I saw of him for the u18s last year he along with Harrop are the ones that stood out for me. I was looking forward to seeing more of him this year but he's barely featured and had that injury. His recent performances he's looked quite good I think and is another to add to the list of talented midfielders we have here.

It just emphasized the lack of games too as someone like Harrop misses a match to make space for others and all of a sudden he is going a month without playing a match.
Yeah and another playmakers Grimshaw and Weir. It's harsh but I don't really know why these three player have to steal playing time from more talented players some times. They have zero chance to make it here.

With Goss I guess he isn't out of chance, Van Gaal might prefer him as he's arguably the best deep laying playmaker out of them all. He's the Carrick type. Shame he missed the start of the season.

When I look at the current crop of most talented players from reserve I think we have players to choose from. Harrop, Rothwell, Pereira, Pearson, Goss that's only midfielders. Interestingly I cant see much talent on other positions in U21, maybe J.Pereira. We are loaded in midfield. The younger crop around u18 is becoming very interesting too, TFM has 90% to make it I believe, Tuanzebe, Gribbin, Rashford, Mitchel and I liked the Hamilton lad last time I've seen him. A. Gomes is obviously world class prospect but it's a long way to go for him..

I think of all the players from the list I mentioned every one of them has a chance. Luck and strong will needed but I think that it would be fantastic to see even 2 or three of them making it here and it would be a huge success and it's not unrealistic IMHO. Januzaj, Wilson and McNair already first team players. The future is very bright in terms of developing young players from our ranks I hope.

khoazany

I hope we don't repeat a Rothwell for both of them next season.Just send them on loan early if LVG isn't gonna use them.Let's start the season with Willock-Redmond or something like that for the U21s.The cluster of talented CMs (plus Grimshaw etc if they're still here) need to get senior experience.

Sid234

You were right @khoazany on Goss making the tour.

Looking forward to watching him in action, hopefully he gets a decent run out.

JoaquinJoaquin

Seems strange selecting him when we have numerous midfielders already selected and Pereira who will want to be ahead of him in the pecking order. Still, Great chance for him to prove what he can do.

RB7N

if you dont rate Carrick....
Comparing Goss to Carrick is perhaps a little daft, because he has a lot of developing to do if he's ever to reach that level. But if he works hard and has luck on his side, I think he can become a very good player for us.

He has been very unlucky with injuries, and still has performed at a high level when he's been fit.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Comparing Goss to Carrick is perhaps a little daft, because he has a lot of developing to do if he's ever to reach that level. But if he works hard and has luck on his side, I think he can become a very good player for us.

He has been very unlucky with injuries, and still has performed at a high level when he's been fit.
im not even talking about that, i meant only in terms of playing style....Carrick is first and foremost a defensive mastermind and Goss is pretty bad in that department, the only similarities they have is their passing range as Goss only quality is that sweet left foot of his. All other segments of his game are pretty average.....

prath92

im not even talking about that, i meant only in terms of playing style....Carrick is first and foremost a defensive mastermind and Goss is pretty bad in that department, the only similarities they have is their passing range as Goss only quality is that sweet left foot of his. All other segments of his game are pretty average.....
So position wise he is a gundogan type of player with good passing and attacking intent with very little defending?

RB7N

I think that by the end of last season he was showing signs of improving his positioning and reading of the game.

Anyway, he must have impressed LvG in training since he's on the tour, and I hope he does well.

worldinmotion66

Also has the stature and movement of Carrick, he's a similar size and build, and he plays in the same position. If he models his game on Carrick, I can see him doing very well as he has the technique and wonderful left peg. Definitely one to keep an eye on, hope he gets a few tour games.

Sid234

Probably the first time when I feel so painful about being right...
I guess Van Gaal gave the youngsters the chance to stake a claim in training over the past week.. Looks like Goss must have really stepped up his game to get picked over Rothwell, Gribbin, Harrop and Weir.

khoazany

Who were you trying to see on tour instead?
Pearson,Rothwell and Harrop (not necessarily all of them).I don't mind Goss but I wouldn't take him ahead of any of them myself.Was hoping some of the best U18s to get the experience but they are not there yet anyway so no complain.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I guess Van Gaal gave the youngsters the chance to stake a claim in training over the past week.. Looks like Goss must have really stepped up his game to get picked over Rothwell, Gribbin, Harrop and Weir.
Just more evidence that trying to make predictions about which academy graduates will/won't make the first team is a mug's game (bar the very occasional insanely talented freak of nature).

Sid234

Just more evidence that trying to make predictions about which academy graduates will/won't make the first team is a mug's game (bar the very occasional insanely talented freak of nature).
I'm sure not getting picked doesn't mean they won't have a shot at getting a chance with the 1st team as the season goes on.. McNair got a look in, and now he's a 1st team squad member while Pereira didn't get called up for the tour last year either. I'm sure the other lads will get a chance in the Carling Cup if they do well when Van Gaal calls them up to train with the 1st team

Kag

Pearson,Rothwell and Harrop (not necessarily all of them).I don't mind Goss but I wouldn't take him ahead of any of them myself.Was hoping some of the best U18s to get the experience but they are not there yet anyway so no complain.
We've only got four games before the season starts. Priority is the first team.

khoazany

It just LVG.I can predict at least 80% who're the youngsters that will make Liverpool's pre-season tour for example (yeah they have more than one).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm sure not getting picked doesn't mean they won't have a shot at getting a chance with the 1st team as the season goes on.. McNair got a look in, and now he's a 1st team squad member while Pereira didn't get called up for the tour last year either. I'm sure the other lads will get a chance in the Carling Cup if they do well when Van Gaal calls them up to train with the 1st team
I wouldn't write any of them off just yet. I was just thinking how often even the most seasoned youth/reserve team watchers get it completely wrong with their predictions as to who will/won't make it at United. There's a massive (and understandable) bias towards being too optimistic in general and when it comes to the tier below the obvious stars like Piqe, Rossi and Pogba it's often a less hyped youngsters who will end up progressing further than players who are being touted as first teamers by the reserve forum regulars. McNair and Blackett remaining part of our plans while Keane and Thorpe are not, would be a good example of this. Goss ending up doing better than Harrop or Pearson would be more of the same. I can only assume there are metrics that the coaches analyse that have a big influence on decisions that none of us know anything about.

khoazany

He promised to bring a lot more youngsters but never mind.Actually the rest were told that they are not up to his mark.Would be curious myself to see what's the criteria that Sean has but the rest don't.Hopefully not the left foot thingy again.