Sean Longstaff

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I really like the look of him, think he will end up being a very good player.

Having grown up in the North East myself I always love seeing players like him come through and do well.

Classical Mechanic

Was following him a bit last season when he was on loan at my local club, definitely a level above everyone else and was way too good for league 1 in his short time on loan there. Scored some decent long rangers on a a lot of shit pitches too. Last goal

I thought his finish last night was well taken but from that video it seems that his shooting technique is a big strength for him.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I thought his finish last night was well taken but from that video it seems that his shooting technique is a big strength for him.
He's very calm on the ball, reminds me of Carrick in his younger days before he really developed at Utd.

I think he has more ability than Declan Rice

Canucantona20

I remember turning on the Chelsea vs Newcastle game and from the first 5 minutes watching him you could see the ability. He’s going to be a very good player

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Ah that’s devastating for the lad. I could actually see him knocking on the door for England if he had kept up his form for Newcastle.

Judas

Open to offers
Hate seeing young players like him getting injuries like that. Shite luck, hope he's not rushed back, and that Newcastle are still in the Premier League when he's fit again.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Worth tracking his performances this season as it’s likely he will be a top midfield target for us either Jan or next summer.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
For a second i thought he was actually out for the rest of this season already!

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
Saw him against Arsenal yesterday, didn't have a good game. But that's not a enough to have an opinion on his quality.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Watching him yesterday he seemed to be the furthest forward in the midfield press of Newcastle, with Shelvey being the one sitting. I think this is why so much of the game passed Longstaff by. Given the comparisons to Carrick I expected Longstaff to be the sitter. Maybe an example of Bruce playing players out of position again?

settembrini

Definitely worth keeping an eye on him due to our supposed interest in the summer.

Newcastle fans were not impressed with him against Arsenal though. Looking at his stats for the match you can see why. Seems to have been a bit of a passenger with a feeble 69% passing accuracy. So another game that makes the Carrick comparisons look lazy and inaccurate.

thomas porter

I watched the game against Arsenal and thought he was average. You can see he has talent but I thought Steve Bruce got the tactics wrong more than anything. They lined up in a 3-4-3 against Arsenal in a 4-2-3-1 and were clearly outnumbered in the center of the park. Longstaff did a lot of running and hard work in midfield but didn't seem to have a good partnership with Shelvey or his teammates.

A lot of work needs to be done in that Newcastle squad as they struggled at times against a very average Arsenal squad missing a lot of key players.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
- The lowest passing accuracy in his team apart from the goalkeeper
- 2nd least amount of touches on the pitch
- An armchair fan made progression cards concerning how players in game week 1 fared with progressing play and he had Longstaff as one of the worst in the league:

I wonder how much ground he'll cover this season compared to the rest of the league. Mind you, it's a small sample size, but last season he averaged 10.23km compared to Fred 7.99 and Herrera 8.33.

When England play Bulgaria next month, I wouldn't mind seeing Winks facilitating play by having several touches on the ball and progressing play with his ball distribution, Longstaff pressing and covering every shade of grass, and a more dynamic option alongside them like Foden or Barkley

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He’s just come back from injury too, so won’t be as sharp right now

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
He’s just come back from injury too, so won’t be as sharp right now
Within precisely a month and one day, he would have played against Spurs and Liverpool. Two sound performances and he'll be knocking on the door for an opportunity against Czech Republic.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Longstaff played against Spurs today.
- Again the worst passing accuracy on the pitch baring the keeper. Just 54%
- 1 Aerial Duel and 2 Tackles. His midfield partner won 4 tackles and 2 aerial duels
Didn't anybody watch the game? How do you feel he performed?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Longstaff played against Spurs today.
- Again the worst passing accuracy on the pitch baring the keeper. Just 54%
- 1 Aerial Duel and 2 Tackles. His midfield partner won 4 tackles and 2 aerial duels
Didn't anybody watch the game? How do you feel he performed?
Watched the second half and Newcastle were camped in their own half, he didn't really get any chance to pass the ball around. He showed good work rate and worked hard didn't do anything else special. Tbh none of the Newcastle players stood out they defended well as a unit and had a bit of luck.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Gave two passes away in the first half. Poor passes as well. One was a simple ten yard pass.

Had a shot in target in the first half too.

I think you would have to judge him against the poorer teams.

thomas porter

I only watched the 1st half but he gave the ball away very cheaply a couple times but also had a great run and shot that forced a great save from Lloris.

Overall I'd say he looks like a young player coming back from injury and trying to find his form. He does need to do a much better job of keeping possession.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Watched the second half and Newcastle were camped in their own half, he didn't really get any chance to pass the ball around. He showed good work rate and worked hard didn't do anything else special. Tbh none of the Newcastle players stood out they defended well as a unit and had a bit of luck.
Yeah, I saw he only had 23 touches. Hayden also had 23 touches and had a passing accuracy of 83% as opposed to Longstaff's 54%. A mate of mine said Longstaff was decent apart from his passing with a great shot and tireless running with just his passing letting him down.

dogwithabone

He’s a very decent player, I’d say it was touch and go though whether he can make that step up and the expectation that comes with it.

Champagne Football

Garner might be ready to slowly break into the first team this time next year. I wonder if we didn't go for a central mid this summer, due to Garner being hopefully ready in a year to get minutes.

Robbie Boy

Haven’t changed my mind on this.

50m would of been utter madness.
Most sensible people thought this, tbf. It was just a few mentalists on here got bored during the summer so they pretended they were experts on a player that had played like 7 PL games. It was an amusing read at times though.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I only watched the 1st half but he gave the ball away very cheaply a couple times but also had a great run and shot that forced a great save from Lloris.

Overall I'd say he looks like a young player coming back from injury and trying to find his form. He does need to do a much better job of keeping possession.
On the plus side, his passing is likely to improve as it would be hard for his passing stats to get any worse with it being amongst the worst in the league. With Southgate's emphasis on composure on the ball an England call up is unlikely at this stage. I think England's best option for a metronome right now might be Winks

thomas porter

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Biased source...for me in the 1st half he was about a 5. His positioning and running was spot on; but his passing was abysmal. I'm sure he'll have better games as he regains fitness.
What I was told earlier tbh. He's still not match fit and the sharpness is missing which is understandable after a bad injury.