Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

settembrini

The 4 month claim is refuted here through the Chronicle, who interviewed Longstaff:

https://cominghomenewcastle.sbnatio...staff-to-miss-rest-of-season-with-knee-injury
They refute the 4 month claim by saying it's a 6-8 week injury. I'll say again that if that was true he would have been back playing in Newcastle's run in. He wasn't, he wasn't even back in training. Everything I can find on google says he is hoping to take part in pre-season which beings at the start of July, which is four months after he got injured. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Woziak

"Solskjær is looking for 5 players"

James and Longstaff :drool:
I think those last 2 PL games convinced him and the board that much bigger transfer window was required. We will probably move on 8 to 9 and bring in 6 to 7 with 2 being unheard and unexpected like Daniel James and Sean Longstaff. They may also be using this scatter gun approach to smoke out their real targets but right now we could be looking at the following;

Players released or Transferred ;
Antonio Valencia, Ander Herrera,Mateo Darmian 10M, Marcus Rojo 15M, Eric Bailey 30M, Phil Jones 15M, David De Gea 60M, Alexis 15M, Juan Mata, Lee Grant, Ashley Young 5M

Some are predicting Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Lingard and Lukaku but all of these are on long contracts and we do not have to sell, they will be told you got us in this mess you can get us out unless a stupid offer comes in. The others have either left, clearly unable to play to the required standard or have no contract or only 1 year left so are the most likely to leave.

Players we are looking at to come in;

Donnuaruma or J Cillisen - 22 or 25 value of £50/25M
Aaron Wan Bissaka or T Meunier -21 or 28 value of £40M/25M
Patrick Van Arnolt or R Sesseghnon -28 or 19 value of £15/25M
H Maguire or De Ligt 25 or 19 value of £75/65M
S Longstaff or D Rice 21 or 20 value of £30M/50M

Daniel James or J Sancho 20 or 19 value of £15/100M
Pepe or W Zaha 24 or 26 value of £55/60M after 20% duscount
Paulo Dyballa or Felix 24 or 19 value of £80/90M
The bold names are my predictions, I really believe that as many as 8 player could be signed with 10 to 11 being purged, we might spend £370M but after sales more likely £220M net

There is a trend here, we clearly have 2 or 3 options in every position but the main remit seems to be young and level headed with desire to succeed, most of whom have pl experience and have high energy levels and can run for the badge.

It also seems like Ole is looking for 2 players in every position with a balance of one slightly more experienced than the other, so for example we have Dalot and Shaw as wing backs, maybe buying Meunier and Van Arnolt would make sense and would only cost £35M.

I see Raiola having a big say in our transfer window so watch him line his pockets with De Ligt, Donnuaruma and a new fat contract for Pogba. He will also help broker the Dyballa deal all from behind the scenes while he's being banned for 3 months!

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I read this morning that the last five times Sky made 'BREAKING NEWS' that we were signing a player... We didn't sign him.
I haven't seen this lad play, but if he's not all that it's likely sky are just linking us to British players for clicks.

passing-wind

These are the types of signings we should be making to be fair, it shows we are clearly identifying players for specific roles / positions, not Woodward's surname signings.

He's technically sound, physical, if he's able to develop he would have likely joint a top 6 club in the near future. Get a Tielemans / Neves and Rice and that's the midfield. If Pogba leaves than Saul / Ndombele / Rabiot

Zlatattack

Not going to lie - I'm not impressed. We need players who have proven themselves to be able to drag us up, not players like him or James. Don't get me wrong, i like that we're looking at this type of player and glad we're signing potentially good players, but these were the kind of signings we used to make looking a few seasons down the line. We also used to make signings which would make an immediate impact, the Berbatov, Tevez, Saha, Hargreaves types.

This window we NEED players who'll make an immediate impact and raise our level, we can't be focusing just on guys who might come good in 2 or 3 years time.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Not going to lie - I'm not impressed. We need players who have proven themselves to be able to drag us up, not players like him or James. Don't get me wrong, i like that we're looking at this type of player and glad we're signing potentially good players, but these were the kind of signings we used to make looking a few seasons down the line. We also used to make signings which would make an immediate impact, the Berbatov, Tevez, Saha, Hargreaves types.

This window we NEED players who'll make an immediate impact and raise our level, we can't be focusing just on guys who might come good in 2 or 3 years time.
You do realise that we were in a different position when these players joined? Finishing 6th is not going to attract the best of the best, especially when you know the club is in turmoil and with a manager who yet has to prove himself.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
They refute the 4 month claim by saying it's a 6-8 week injury. I'll say again that if that was true he would have been back playing in Newcastle's run in. He wasn't, he wasn't even back in training. Everything I can find on google says he is hoping to take part in pre-season which beings at the start of July, which is four months after he got injured. Seems pretty straightforward to me.
"I think the goal has to be getting back for the start of next season, rather than maybe pushing it for this campaign. The club probably won't take any risks with me" - Sean Longstaff

There was no need to rush him back for this season. Regardless of the time frame, he hasn't even had surgery - that's not a serious knee injury. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

john moran

So to move away from galactico policy is to sign young, british and bang average players.
If you are going to sign available British players then "bang average " is what you will get . The reality is the vast vast majority of players available to play for England , Scotland , Wales and Ireland are "bang average " at best.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

Those guys were only ever really important players for us for one season or so. All good players but Berba didn’t fit, tevez - contract and a bit of a rat! Saha and Owen - sicknotes. I get what you’re saying but we need players here who can develop in the squad over a few seasons and maintain that level for a few years as group then. I’m not super impressed with longstaff but if we are being priced out of rice and want bodies in the CM and ole likes him then fine. I don’t see him or James as real top quality prospects but I’d be very happy to be proven wrong! I’ve said in other threads I really don’t trust our scouting anymore but I hope this is the year we really start to sign players with real desire and a high ceiling again.

Nick.

I just don't think we will catch Liverpool and City or damn near 100 points with Sean Longstaff and Daniel James as our signings.

poleglass red

You forgot to add Mark Noble since we are just fecking picking names randomly now
hey don't mock Noble, he's the best midfielder in the league for picking up opposition midfielders feigning injury and carrying them off the pitch.

IrishRedDevil

Just because he is British doesn't mean he isn't talented :rolleyes:
I never said he wasn't talented. I seen him for Newcastle 3/4 times before his injury and he was good, but still not enough for me to want him to be a Manchester United player (yet), especially after being out injured for months.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Good young player but we have Garner who is very similar and highly rated so I can't see us bidding for him

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
hey don't mock Noble, he's the best midfielder in the league for picking up opposition midfielders feigning injury and carrying them off the pitch.
And someone who plays and would die for the shirt. How many of our wonderful midfielders could say the same?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I never said he wasn't talented. I seen him for Newcastle 3/4 times before his injury and he was good, but still not enough for me to want him to be a Manchester United player (yet), especially after being out injured for months.
Then nothing with him is about being British outweighing talent.

This kid is talented, out of the midfielders we have I would keep only 2 (Pogba and McTominnay) and even McT I would only keep because he is from the academy and can fill the squad. So if we could sign this lad as well as promote Garner and sign one other top player in the midfield that would be great.

Matic, Fred and Pereira can all jog on

settembrini

"I think the goal has to be getting back for the start of next season, rather than maybe pushing it for this campaign. The club probably won't take any risks with me" - Sean Longstaff

There was no need to rush him back for this season. Regardless of the time frame, he hasn't even had surgery - that's not a serious knee injury. Seems pretty straightforward to me.
If the only way he could have made the 6-8 week time frame was to 'rush him back' and 'risk' him then the 6-8 week time frame clearly wasn't a fair assessment of his injury. As the player himself is saying, he's hoping to be back for the start of next season. That's a long time off, far longer than your 6-8 week claim. Hence why people are calling it a serious injury and why it seems extremely unlikely that United would consider buying him this summer while he is still recovering.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He will make a fantastic replacement for Pogba.

Full of commitment, no dancing and little instagram posts. I'm sure Redcafe will be delighted.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
This forum is truly moronic at times. There is nothing close to concrete to suggest that this story has any basis in fact.

Even if it was, aren't we all in the same camp?

We don't like the squad
We want young, hungry players who will value playing for the club
We all agree that the days of paying vast sums for ageing mercenaries was disastrous
We don't expect to challenge next year, so lets build a team for the future

These are exactly the sort of players we should be looking to bring in, alongside 2 or 3 established first team targets

Camilo

Penis.

I like him, I think he's a talent. We should absolutely be using our size as a club to manoeuvre players like him out of their clubs on the cheap. Obviously if we try and sign a Griezmann we have little to offer apart from money, but players like this we shouldn't have to pay over the odds for, because they'll want to come.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Our post-Ferguson policy has been to buy players aged 26 or over, often from clubs outside of England and always for huge transfer fees

There's an article in the economist which shows that of all of the current top 6 United are the ones signing the oldest players and the most frequent at signing players from outside of English clubs. We've spent more money than anyone bar City.

We have to try something different. If it means a few signings like this and James and also bringing through our own youngsters so that in 3 year's time we have a blend of technically excellent but hard-working players who actually care about success at United - then so be it.

If it means we also lose a few of the cry baby fans who want 100 million spent on players like Felix etc and demand instant success - even better.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Our post-Ferguson policy has been to buy players aged 26 or over, often from clubs outside of England and always for huge transfer fees

There's an article in the economist which shows that of all of the current top 6 United are the ones signing the oldest players and the most frequent at signing players from outside of English clubs. We've spent more money than anyone bar City.

We have to try something different. If it means a few signings like this and James and also bringing through our own youngsters so that in 3 year's time we have this excellent blend of technically excellent but hard-working players who actually care about success at United - then so be it.

If it means we also lose a few of the cry baby fans who want 100 million spent on players like Felix etc and demand instant success - even better.
hear hear

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I liked him when he was playing, but that's a severe injury, Not sure I would pay a substantial fee until he had proved his long term fitness.

Status
Not open for further replies.