Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Same age as Lingard then.

We all ready have bench midfielders in McTominay or is he all of a sudden going to be a starter next season, which god help us, he isn't. Also Pereira, Fred and the apparent high hopes for Garner. We should be looking at a top class DM/CM coming in.
Lingard's 26? :lol:

And I'm glad we're buying for the future. It means that if we have say 5 young players in midfield, they're competing for the starting places in a few years time - and the best ones will make the cut. Literally every single one of our players are too comfortable, and that's part of the problem. An influx of hungry, hopefully talented players will change that somewhat.

Robbo*

Sounds similar profile to Declan Rice, if a slightly different player - but would assume at a much more sensible price

AJ10

People want young players who will improve (like spurs/pool have done) but aren't happy because its not a young player worth 100 mil. People calling him shit, have you lot seen him play?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
People want young players who will improve (like spurs/pool have done) but aren't happy because its not a young player worth 100 mil. People calling him shit, have you lot seen him play?
They clearly haven't because this kid is far from shit

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Our post-Ferguson policy has been to buy players aged 26 or over, often from clubs outside of England and always for huge transfer fees

There's an article in the economist which shows that of all of the current top 6 United are the ones signing the oldest players and the most frequent at signing players from outside of English clubs. We've spent more money than anyone bar City.

We have to try something different. If it means a few signings like this and James and also bringing through our own youngsters so that in 3 year's time we have a blend of technically excellent but hard-working players who actually care about success at United - then so be it.

If it means we also lose a few of the cry baby fans who want 100 million spent on players like Felix etc and demand instant success - even better.

Smores

Another name thats barely been mentioned on here but suddenly after a media report the same bunch jump out telling everyone they should like this signing.

Nick7

Another name thats barely been mentioned on here but suddenly after a media report the same bunch jump out telling everyone they should like this signing.
It's almost like redcafe isn't everything in a person's life. Weird, that.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Only thing stopping me getting excited about the player is his injury, a knee-ligament injury can have long term effects.

Josep Dowling

It makes perfect logical sense we go after a player who only in March had a knee ligament injury.

Regardless of how good of a player he is: 1) do we know he will ever recover? 2) how does he immediately improve our first 11?

Zlatattack

You do realise that we were in a different position when these players joined? Finishing 6th is not going to attract the best of the best, especially when you know the club is in turmoil and with a manager who yet has to prove himself.
Finishing 6th can still attract excellent players. I won't name names because i don't want to turn this into a "i want to sign my favourite players not xyz" kind of comment, but we have the potential as a club to do a lot more than finish 6, and we have the financial clout to attract very good players. We did it only a few years ago.

Josep Dowling

Our post-Ferguson policy has been to buy players aged 26 or over, often from clubs outside of England and always for huge transfer fees

There's an article in the economist which shows that of all of the current top 6 United are the ones signing the oldest players and the most frequent at signing players from outside of English clubs. We've spent more money than anyone bar City.

We have to try something different. If it means a few signings like this and James and also bringing through our own youngsters so that in 3 year's time we have a blend of technically excellent but hard-working players who actually care about success at United - then so be it.

If it means we also lose a few of the cry baby fans who want 100 million spent on players like Felix etc and demand instant success - even better.
This logic only works if we buy good youngsters though. James has been playing Championship level football. Langstaff has played 9 Premier League games and has a knee ligament injury. These players aren’t going to play even half of the games next season, they aren’t ready.

City spent £35-£50m in known quality youngsters - Sane, Bernardo Silva, De Bruyne. Yes there has been some not so good signings of that ilk, namely Mendy and Stones but they still have good resale value.

I’m not suggesting or expecting we would sign De Ligt or De Jong but we are even trying? Surely we can buy the likes of Rice and Wan Bissaka. Young and already have a full season in the Premier League.

Dalot is a prime example. He had played less than 10 games before we signed him for £20m. He hasn’t looked ready to play first team all season. In my opinion spending £20m on a player that can’t get in the first team whilst Ashley Young is your only RB option is terrible business, no matter how much potential he’s meant to have. He hasn’t proved it with us, and he didn’t prove it with Porto either because he didn’t get enough game time to prove it.

johanovic

I see the logic in signing players like him as he´s a very promising midfielder. He has the rare ability to pass with both feet and the last midfielder we had like that was Carrick. He seems a good reader of the game and are we not having to rebuild our midfield completely? Sign him, De Light by offering him the captains armband + best contract possible, Bissaka, James,Sessangon,Rice,Sancho + start giving more gametime to Gomes,Greenwood,Garner,Laird and Chong. Then you could add 1 or 2 very strong players on top of that and we would be taking the right steps as a club.

GK: De Gea, Henderson
RB: Bissaka,Dalot,Laird
CB: De Light,Lindelof,Tuanzebe,Smalling,Jones
LB: Shaw, Sessangon,Dalot
Midfield: Rice,Rabiot,Garner,Longstaff,McTominay
AM: Pogba,Gomes
RW: Sancho,James,Chong
LW: Martial,James,Chong
Striker: Rashford,Greenwood,Lukaku

Adding 1 or 2 players to that squad would then take us to the next level.

But this squad here above would:
1. Fix the right back problem
2. Fix the lack of leaders in the squad with De Light and Rice
3. Give Shaw competition and cover at left back
4. Give us a strong solid base infront of the defence
5. Give Pogba the best chance to showcase his skill´s in front of a mobile,hardworking and good passing midfield
6. Solve for once the right wing problem that has hinderd us for the past 6 years at least.
7. These 3 strikers should thrive with us being able to play with width on both sides.
8. This would give us a base to build on for the future and add 1 or 2 players of a high caliber to that group and we would be on the way back to where we belong.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
The type of player Spurs or Leicester will pick up and develop them to gems and we will curse our scouts on not picking them from Newcastle.

When we ourselves are linked, we say this. Can't seem to get a break !

One more point being, now every club has money . So we cant afford to have some mid club take a punt on him and we buying from them. It could cost us huge money.

dbs235

I just don't think we will catch Liverpool and City or damn near 100 points with Sean Longstaff and Daniel James as our signings.
I'm sure when Liverpool signed Robertson and Wijnaldum we didn't think they'd be getting to near 100 points either.

NJM78

Lingard's 26? :lol:

And I'm glad we're buying for the future. It means that if we have say 5 young players in midfield, they're competing for the starting places in a few years time - and the best ones will make the cut. Literally every single one of our players are too comfortable, and that's part of the problem. An influx of hungry, hopefully talented players will change that somewhat.
I know he is 26, just going with the usual Lingard treated as a youngster crap that gets spewed out by English press and pundits.

Young is fine and call me naive but the best teams in the world have the best players for most part. Not a secret formula. We just need to buy better and for me that shouldn't rule out top players entering their prime either.

NJM78

I'm sure when Liverpool signed Robertson and Wijnaldum we didn't think they'd be getting to near 100 points either.
Difference is they also have the likes of Salah, Mane and Firminho with VvD at the back and a top keeper.

I thought Wijnaldum was a good player at Newcastle I remember on here being ridiucled for thinking so when suggesting him for United.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I see the logic in signing players like him as he´s a very promising midfielder. He has the rare ability to pass with both feet and the last midfielder we had like that was Carrick. He seems a good reader of the game and are we not having to rebuild our midfield completely? Sign him, De Light by offering him the captains armband + best contract possible, Bissaka, James,Sessangon,Rice,Sancho + start giving more gametime to Gomes,Greenwood,Garner,Laird and Chong. Then you could add 1 or 2 very strong players on top of that and we would be taking the right steps as a club.

5. Give Pogba the best chance to showcase his skill´s in front of a mobile,hardworking and good passing midfield
6. Solve for once the right wing problem that has hinderd us for the past 6 years at least.
7. These 3 strikers should thrive with us being able to play with width on both sides.
8. This would give us a base to build on for the future and add 1 or 2 players of a high caliber to that group and we would be on the way back to where we belong.
It’s not that rare, we have two in the squad now in Pogba and Pereira.

Roboc7

He looks like a good player potentially but probably too early for him and he’s also injured, one to keep an eye on but unless he’s cheap (which I doubt) can’t see it happening.

Robbo*

Yes, I don't mind the look of that squad - if possible to add someone like Saul or Thiago to the midfield group (maybe instead of Rabiot) that would make a difference I think

johanovic

It’s not that rare, we have two in the squad now in Pogba and Pereira.
Two footed players are very rare in football and that was one of the reason for Carrick being the player he was as he could dictate tempo due to always having a passing option due to being two footed. Longstaff has similar ability and therefore he´s talked about as a player in the Carrick mould.

In Rainbows

Why not give Garner a shot?

El-Manos

I used to trust our scouts but those days are gone :lol: has anyone seen this chap play on a regular basis?

Infestissumam

I know a lot of fans will lose their shite, but I actually like that we're linked to the likes of James, Rice and Longstaff. Nothing wrong with looking at young talents with upside.

Dolf

So he's not for sale and we don't want to buy him?

Short but intense transfer saga.

Status
Not open for further replies.