Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

poleglass red

preseason games are difficult to gauge but if Bailly's injury may have added a bit more urgency possibly even more money to the Maguire deal. Then McT's performance may have done the opposite to any Longstaff deal

Alemar

preseason games are difficult to gauge but if Bailly's injury may have added a bit more urgency possibly even more money to the Maguire deal. Then McT's performance may have done the opposite to any Longstaff deal
But even if McTominay maintains his performance and continue to improve, we only have 2 starters in midfield.
Andreas indeed does look better than in the past, so at this rate he might be a squad option - but definitely not more than that, we need reinforcements.

dutchred

But even if McTominay maintains his performance and continue to improve, we only have 2 starters in midfield.
Andreas indeed does look better than in the past, so at this rate he might be a squad option - but definitely not more than that, we need reinforcements.
Agree. If Mac gets injured or suspended we will be in trouble. Garner is still too young to be regular. Seeing how well Alex has done I think a midfielder (either DM or box to box with good defensive qualities) is more important than Maguire

Luke1995

If he doesn't come in this transfer window, the price will be much higher in the next one.

Dante

Average bang
He looks technically good. But I think the more important aspect to his game is his mobility. Ole clearly has a new gameplan for this season, and Longstaff seems to typify it.

Apparently, he put in the most distance in all of his games for Newcastle.

A midfield duo of McTomminay and Lonstaff, with James/Lingard on the wings, AWB/Shaw at fullback and Rashford up front would be impossible to outwork.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He looks technically good. But I think the more important aspect to his game is his mobility. Ole clearly has a new gameplan for this season, and Longstaff seems to typify it.

Apparently, he put in the most distance in all of his games for Newcastle.

A midfield duo of McTomminay and Lonstaff, with James/Lingard on the wings, AWB/Shaw at fullback and Rashford up front would be impossible to outwork.
Technically very good and a very mobile player. But according to people that know him well, his fitness/endurance levels are described as being 'ridiculously' high.

Dante

Average bang
Technically very good and a very mobile player. But according to people that know him well, his fitness/endurance levels are described as being 'ridiculously' high.
It'd be interesting if he could measure up against James' bleep test record.

Jacob

Carrick was my favourite player and this guy reminds me of him so well. By the looks of youtube clips, he'd walk into our side. Silky touches and passes, great connection with the foot, tall yet mobile.

Jacob

Why 'but'?

Jacob

Of all signings, I wish for this one the most. Fits my criteria of a signing and view of United's style down to a tee.

Fer

IMO we should aim higher. I'm not sure Longstaff is even better than McTominay.

If we are going to play Pogba in a midfield of 2, then we need a energetic DM, Gueye for 30m could be a better alternative.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Why 'but'?
Was multitasking at the time so ignore the 'but'

The point was, that for me he's a player who is a ball player as a #6 who is mobile and described by people who know him as having 'ridiculous' energy levels. His energy/endurance along with his skilset would be very good for us going forward.

What excites me is that he's shown in his appearances to date that he could develop into a very good #6 who could spring quick counters with his composure and passing and make better use of our pacey players from a deeper role. And it seems people within United know it too.

I think after a CB, a player with Longstaff's profile/skillset would be the most important signing.

Marcus

Longstaff just played and apparently put in a MOM performance. Yes it's pre-season and it was poor opposition and Newcastle lost. At least he is no longer injured. Which was my main concern.

ash_86

This should have been the first transfer. If we had gone before Newcastle sold Perez, longstaff would be playing for us now.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Far more preferable to rice who is overrated af. Think we will get him for sure but it's just haggling with the toad master aka Ashley now.

SteveW

Another screamer from Longstaff. Hardly surprising at this stage. He's got a cannon.

I still think we'll try again for him. Matic and Fred look hopeless. We can really go through a season with Pogba and Scott as our only proper CMs.

Eric's Seagull

Another screamer from Longstaff. Hardly surprising at this stage. He's got a cannon.

I still think we'll try again for him. Matic and Fred look hopeless. We can really go through a season with Pogba and Scott as our only proper CMs.[/QUOTE]

I don't think we will go back in for for him, if the £50m I've seen quoted has any truth to it, it looks they are setting a stupidly high price no-one will pay because they genuinely want to keep him. Although I totally agree with the point in bold.

El-Manos

Doubt we will try for him now, with supposedly Bruno & Dybala coming and pushing hard for Maguire. We’re hardly signing 4 players in the next 10days:lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
this has gone quiet it seems. Damn shame.
It probably makes sense though depending on what Newcastle are looking for. Signing a player after a handful of PL games only really makes sense if you think you're getting a bargain. If it looks like Newcastle are demanding too much, you may as well wait another year. How much would his value realistically increase in that time?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It probably makes sense though depending on what Newcastle are looking for. Signing a player after a handful of PL games only really makes sense if you think you're getting a bargain. If it looks like Newcastle are demanding too much, you may as well wait another year. How much would his value realistically increase in that time?
Yep no rush on this one, if anything him staying at Newcastle is the best thing for him

Infestissumam

thing is, if he kicks on then we'll have more competition for his signature too. Price won't exactly go down either.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Thanks for such a thorough reply. This is a post which I 100% respect. I believe that Ed Woodward cares more about making money for the club than he does about the results on the pitch, I take this from the quote "Playing performance doesn't really have a meaningful impact on what we can do on the commercial side of the business."

I agree with the point of not paying stupid money, if we agreed a fee of e.g £25m, then suddenly the selling club decided they want to change the fee to £50 million later just because they think we will pay it will bite us in the long term as every team would think that they could do us and that could effect us.

If we have a certain budget which I don't have a clue could be and clubs started demanding stupid fees above the valuation I think this could effect the amount of players we are able to purchase as if we wanted 3 players which were valued at £50 then each club said they wanted an extra £20m per player that would mean if agree to their demands we would be £60m down, thus preventing us from using that money to buy another player. I do realise that if another exec paid whatever the extra fee the selling club wanted would make them look like a better CEO in some fans eyes as he has got us the players that we wanted.

Regarding the point in bold, I know we have spent a lot of money under Woodward and I think a lot of has been wasted, due to this happening I think he feels we got conned and is reluctant to pay certain fees as he doesn't want to get bitten again and end up wasting millions like has happened before.

I believe that Woody has so much faith in his own knowledge that he is unwilling to take advice from people who know more about football than him, this is why I feel that we should have got a DoF in a long time ago and we wouldn't be in this situation. If we had a DoF in, I believe that some peoples opinion of Woodward change and he wouldn't get as much stick as he is getting now.

I think it is unrealistic for us to want all the players now and win all the trophies as this is a rebuilding process and I realise that it is going to take more than one summer transfer, although I would like few more players in so that we don'f fall further behind the big teams. I think we should keep on building and get the necessary signings and hope that each one is successful and as long as this keeps on progressing steadily, I think we will be in a position to compete for the League in the 22/23 season, which might not be to some fans liking but I think we have to have patience and faith in Ole that the job is going to get done satisfactorily.

I don't think that Woody is very good in the market and the reason I have no faith in him is that I believe that the only selling point he has is offering wages that not many other clubs are willing to pay. I believe he should try to sell the project to the player. As of the moment we are in a mess and without Champions League football, this is a major obstacle in signing players. I think Woody should try to convince a player that by coming here now by getting them to accept the challenge of trying to make us great again and that player could go down in our history as has having a significant participation in doing so and having the chance of becoming a legend here for providing a vital contribution in making us great again.

I agree with your point of us getting players from rivals but I think a lot of that is down to offering obscene wages like I mentioned above. I don't agree with us just working on one transfer at a time as think that is going to affect us which seems to be the case at the moment may leave it too late in the transfer window to complete the deal or if the deal doesn't work out should we choose to go for an alternative we will be quoted higher prices due to to the selling team knowing we are becoming desperate at that point, which I think is a fault of Woody.

He may feel that the squad is already good enough for top 4, which I feel it currently is not and this could be the reason why we are taking so long on these supposed transfers as when they don't happen he can say something like "well we tried but negotiations took too long, so we were unable to sign player x" so that he doesn't look bad in the eyes of the fans and makes it look as if we are actually trying to sign players we are not.

I personally don't think that Woody is going to to pull this off due to pace we have been working at the moment in the market, he might surprise me which I really hope he does.
Sorry, been out of this thread for a few days but wanted to acknowledge your response as is so detailed.

Again, I think a lot of that is conjecture. Ed Woodward has really become this omni being on here, and people think he’s at the heart of every aspect of the club. I think you’re giving him too much credit if you think that’s the case.

He’s an employee of the owners. He works for Manchester United. Of course he wants Manchester United to be successful football team. Even if his own job is to make the club money, so what? We also hire someone to win the club football matches. That person is not Ed Woodward. They can both do their respective jobs.

With regards to this whole transfer malarkey, I think you, and others, should ask yourselves a very simple question:

Do you think if the Glazer family gave Woodward/Ole a billion pounds to spend every summer that we would be in protracted negotiations about a £50m player?

The long negotiations, the sometimes refusing to pay what is being asked is the reality of transfers being done in the reality. We work within a budget. It’s simple economics. If Ole gave Ed a list of players and there was an unlimited budget even I could look like the best negotiator in the world.

As for the fact that we have been in a position where we have to entice players with money, that again is not down to Woodward, or any executive at any club. If we are talking football, Ole should be the one selling a prospective signing on his vision for the football team. Ed should be trying to get the deal done.

Lastly, I think we have descended to conspiracy theory, and anyone would think Ed is trying to sabotage the football team. I don’t agree with that. I suspect football managers always have a long list of wants, and the board have to often deliver bad news as they have to focus on the bottom line. The reality is, someone always has to focus on the bottom line. Just like parents and children in a household. If money was no problem, they would give their kids more, within reason of course. Fans hate the fact that anything but football is considered by a football club, and money is a dirty word because to us, 442 will always be the bottom line. However, as long as transfers cost money, there will be disappointment in the market. The fabled Madrid who ‘always get their man’ have failed to often enough, Barca the same. It’s the game. Contrary to perception, I think Ed gets far more wins than losses in the transfer market. The balance shifts when those players are then handed to the manager, who fails to get the most out of a player he requested.

SteveW

We need a CM right now. Not next season. We have only Pogba and Scott for the 2 deep lying CM positions. Matic and Fred nowhere near good enough.

Bruno doesn't solve this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.