Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjb

I like this signing. For me, the biggest issue we had last season were the level of depth and fitness, this is what seperated us from tottenham, chelsea and arsenal. Matic is still a good player, and despite calls for a complete overhaul, he is still a good player. Keeping him and buying Longstaff ensures that we are not left wanting in the position while having a guy that can develop into a good defensive midfielder for the team. He has a good passing range in addition to his defensive prowess, and for his position and what we need, his skills cover that.

Buying James and Longstaff ensures competition for places and hard work within squad, and allows us to focus on spending larger fees on positions that require fare more help. I believe will invest heavily on 3 positions, Centre back, Attacking Midfield and Right back. We will also try to keep both Pogba and Lukaku, and not sell Martial. In addition to this, I believe there will be step ups for the likes of greenwood gomes and tuanzebe which will also strengthen the squad.

Ekeke

Exactly right. Solskjær is the Norwegian Moyes. Any club with any ambition would have sacked him with a 2 wins in 14 record. Especially after failing to beat already relegated Huddersfield and Cardiff.

To put it into perspective, Brighton sacked Chris Hughton and his form was better.

We went from being linked with the likes of Sandro, Perisic, Koulibaly, Alderweireld and Willian under Mourinho... to being linked with James, Longstaff, Collins and Sessegnon. If you told me a Premier League team wanted those guys, I’d think you were talking about Norwich City.

We are destined for an 8th to 10th finish at this rate. It’s infuriating because Conte and Allegri are RIGHT THERE and we’re allowing this Glazer yes man to send us into an even bigger mess than we’re already in. I’m sorry, no amount of goals he scored is gonna make me think otherwise. The Glazers love this “buy cheap youngsters and use the academy” mentality. They don’t have to spend a penny.

Mourinho should have been given the time to change it. The board had no right to interfere with his Ins and Outs. But that’s another topic.
oh dear.

Mourinho did change it. He shattered the confidence of a team that came 2nd, created a problem in defense and spent £50 million on Fred

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Which 21 year old English players did we sign under Van Gaal again?

He promoted average English players he didnt sign them
Not because He's a 21 years old English player, but because He's Longstaff.

Last edited:

Ekeke

For what its worth I think he'd be a decent pickup as long as the price reflected him being a squad player who has proven barely anything in the premier league. If hes Ander's replacement or costs a lot of money then this could either go well or extremely badly

Red_toad

How good is he on the ball? Genuinely excellent or limited?
He was very good immediately when given a chance at Newcastle. Looked at home from the off. Comfortable in possession and able to find his team mates with ease. If we’re looking at Rice, then this guy (if he recovers from his injury) looks more a midfielder, than a centre half playing in midfield.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
How good is he on the ball? Genuinely excellent or limited?
He's excellent on the ball from the few games i've watched of him. I think he'll make a very good regista in the coming seasons. If we can buy him for a decent fee, then that would be excellent business IMO.

Brophs

The One and Only
No idea how good he is as I’ve only really seen highlights but is it possible for a club or our size to buy a young English player from a PL team without paying something like £25-30m? That seems a massive amount for a guy whose only experience of playing at this level is a dozen games, particularly as I struggle to imagine him improving us very much in the short term.

SapperBRed75

Not a short term solution. Seems to have significant potential, young, hungry and to an extent de-risked given some EPL experience already. Dependent on his injury rehabilitation and the money (NUFC would be likely to push us over £20M), I'd be happy to take him. Carrick could develop him and I reckon he'd run his lungs out for us.

VanGaalyTime

Forget about Sancho this summer. I would actually be happy with all those signings. Possibly Pedro too and maybe one or two big names like Rakitic/Isco/Maguire.

A year ago nobody knew who Rice/Hudson-Odoi/Sancho/Van de Beek/De Ligt were. Every big club in the country would love to have them now.
Ha. Two years ago I was saying we should bring in de Ligt. And a year ago I had to explain to most here that he was better than Alderweireld. Most also knew who Sancho was considering he was England's biggest youth prospect. The key is getting them the year or two before these guys become stars, which United just cannot do at the moment.

AgentP

I have no clue about him but he seems to be highly rated by Newcastle fans. He is being compared to Carrick so I presume he is a DM. If that's the case and we can get him for relatively cheap price, then we should do it. We will have Longstaff and Garner to compete with Fred(who I'm not convinced with) for the DM role.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Looks pretty good on the ball and composed when defending. Definitely like this signing (if it does happen).

johanovic

Dream brexiteers signings:
  1. Sancho
  2. Wan Bissaka
  3. Maguire
  4. Longstaff
  5. Rice
  6. Daniel James
  7. Sessegnon
Wouldn't say no to that summer tbf. Sort out long term and current right wing and right back, long term big potential (and energy) in midfield and the wings for quality depth, and then an improvement in CB (even though I'm not crazy on him). Tbf it's probably just Sancho that makes this a good summer!
Those guys you listed instead of Darmian,Valencia,Rojo,Matic,Fred,Mata,Young would be a very good move for us + giving Greenwood,Garner,Gomes,Laird and Chong a chance to prove their worth.

youmeletsfly

Looks pretty good on the ball and composed when defending. Definitely like this signing (if it does happen).
Not trying to be a prick towards you, but if we reached the point where we're satisfied with such signings it says a lot. Longstaff is a younger version of Cleverley in terms of quality, let's be serious.

We need proven quality this window and maybe in the next two we can look at younger players, at least, that's how I see it.

And again, not trying to be an idiot towards you.

johanovic

Not trying to be a prick towards you, but if we reached the point where we're satisfied with such signings it says a lot. Longstaff is a younger version of Cleverley in terms of quality, let's be serious.

We need proven quality this window and maybe in the next two we can look at younger players, at least, that's how I see it.

And again, not trying to be an idiot towards you.
We have gone for what many would call "proven quality" in Matic,Fred,Schweinsteiger,Sanchez,Mkhitaryan,Schneiderlin,Di Maria,Fellaini and that did not work out well. I think players like Longstaff are perhaps underestimated but I also agree with you that we should sign TOP class signings alongside these players that can be moulded into very good players. Say for example we would sign Rabiot and Rakitic alongside Longstaff and Rice.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Not saying if Longstaff came, he won’t come good or be successful here. Just that figure seems pretty high is all, for the reasons stated. And the nerve of you Grylte to eyeroll me. You just compared Longstaff to Messi ffs! :lol:
Sorry, mate, just had to :lol:

Judas

Open to offers
There’s clear potential there. It’s funny people go on about wanting us to be linked to these promising young talents, then it happens and people are so quick to moan and whinge.

MassiveMorgan

Get the feeling he would need to play a lot to grow as a player- not sure we should be that level of team

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
There’s clear potential there. It’s funny people go on about wanting us to be linked to these promising young talents, then it happens and people are so quick to moan and whinge.
Exactly! Like I said in the Twitter thread, if both Daniel James and Sean Longstaff weren't British. People would be gushing over them!

According the video clips he looks like a geordie McTominay
There's nothing wrong with McTominay, McDOMINATE, is a quality player, a baller. Done really well in the first leg of Barca and 2nd Leg against PSG.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
According the video clips he looks like a geordie McTominay
He seems more like Carrick / Garner than McTom in terms of ability on the ball to me, good passing range with both feet.

Nickosaur

I just watched a quick compilation.

Jesus christ he is a Carrick regen. Everything abotu his body movement is exactly like Michaels :lol:

AgentP

He seems more like Carrick / Garner than McTom in terms of ability on the ball to me, good passing range with both feet.
That's what I gathered too from the little I've seen of him. It might be between him and Rice for the DM spot.

Cassidy

That's what I gathered too from the little I've seen of him. It might be between him and Rice for the DM spot.
I'm convinced we are not after Rice, but lets see

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Be a good start to our window if we could sign Longstaff, Wan Bissaka and James over the next couple of weeks. Manchester United will be the biggest club in England to these guys and actually carry some weight, replace the mercenaries.

Rayburns

Has to be bollocks. a) He wasn't even a starter for Newcastle last season and b) signing someone before they have proven they have recovered from a serious knee injury is a terrible idea.
Ruud did alright

Champagne Football

Ha. Two years ago I was saying we should bring in de Ligt. And a year ago I had to explain to most here that he was better than Alderweireld. Most also knew who Sancho was considering he was England's biggest youth prospect. The key is getting them the year or two before these guys become stars, which United just cannot do at the moment.
Of the Ajax kids who have not yet made it to the first team, can you name the best of the next generation without using Google?

AR87

Be a good start to our window if we could sign Longstaff, Wan Bissaka and James over the next couple of weeks. Manchester United will be the biggest club in England to these guys and actually carry some weight, replace the mercenaries.
They'd also get a sizable wage bump which would presumably still make them lower earners at the clun while being hungry to establish themselves as top level players. This is the type of recruitment that we should be into atm and will also get our wage structure under control which, imo, is a major reason we've had such protracted contract renewal negotiations with so many players.

Nickosaur

I don't get some of the negativity around these types of signings. Young and determined players. And you would imagine that only really AWB would step right into the first XI. Longstaff and James are good squad options to have. Bigger signings will be made to improve the starting XI.

Roboc7

I think the squad will be dismantled over next two summer windows and a lot of the players will leave for nothing or close to it. With that in mind we are going to have to bring in some projects like Longstaff, James,Sessegnon etc.

Buying him now would be a risk of course, especially as it’s based on a small number of appearances but a good season at Newcastle and his price will double at least, AWB is a good example of exactly of that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He certainly has quality and potential. People need to get their heads round to the idea that at present, young English talent is at least equal to any out there.

Last year everyone was creaming over Goretzka, and for me, Longstaff looks a similar type of player and certainly no worse a talent. This is the type of player who, if German, Bayern would buy, and if Italian, Juve would buy.

Cassidy

He certainly has quality and potential. People need to get their heads round to the idea that at present, young English talent is at least equal to any out there.

Last year everyone was creaming over Goretzka, and for me, Longstaff looks a similar type of player and certainly no worse a talent. This is the type of player who, if German, Bayern would buy, and if Italian, Juve would buy.
So true

Status
Not open for further replies.