Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee565

This signing worries me because I get a feeling that we will be seeing a lot more of Matic again next season if we signing this guy as I dont expect him to be our 1st choice dm in the same way I dont see James being one of our first wingers.

when are we going to put the effort into signing a player that will improve the 1st team for next season?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
It is the time of the year where people will get excited about literally anyone we are linked with.
Apparently we're just incapable of signing anyone between the ages of 23-27. They're either too old or too young. How do other teams even sign good players?

AgentP

This signing worries me because I get a feeling that we will be seeing a lot more of Matic again next season if we signing this guy as I dont expect him to be our 1st choice dm in the same way I dont see James being one of our first wingers.

when are we going to put the effort into signing a player that will improve the 1st team for next season?
It's still early mate. Not even June. I'm sure we'll be making at least 3-4 signings who'll be starters.

Crashoutcassius

looks more like a box to box player to me? So taking Herrera's spot in a 4-3-3 that Ole has preferred?

TBH I don't see anywhere evidence that we are looking at a DM to replace Matic. Seems like there are a lot more pressing issues

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
looks more like a box to box player to me? So taking Herrera's spot in a 4-3-3 that Ole has preferred?

TBH I don't see anywhere evidence that we are looking at a DM to replace Matic. Seems like there are a lot more pressing issues
He’s got terrific shooting ability and reminded me of Carrick at West Ham

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
‘Why the feck are we offering £80m for this guy from Spurs? The time to get him was when he was at Newcastle/Stoke/Swansea/Fluminense. As usual, are scouts are useless. We must be the worst run big club in the world’.

This is what it looks like when you sign them from Newcastle, Swansea and the likes you moaning gits.

Rayburns

RvN was fit when we signed him. He recovered from his injury at PSV, got back in their team, scored goals, got back in the Dutch squad etc. Then we bought him. Completely different with Longstaff who hasn't even trained since he did his knee and would simply be a case of us gambling by buying an injured player.
Yes, the shame of it is there is a potential bargain to be had by investing at this point- should Longstaff begin to fulfil his potential, the fee commanded would be closer to that which say Declan Rice of West Ham. Only speculating, but imagine West Ham would want 60mil minimum. I don't believe that the deal will happen, but would be open to the risk if under 30mil.

SteveW

Based on one youtube video he is a clone of Micheal Carrick. Old Carrick coaching new Carrick. I'm all for it.

Nickosaur

‘Why the feck are we offering £80m for this guy from Spurs? The time to get him was when he was at Newcastle/Stoke/Swansea/Fluminense. As usual, are scouts are useless. We must be the worst run big club in the world’.

This is what it looks like when you sign them from Newcastle, Swansea and the likes you moaning gits.
:lol: So true.

dz united

I have just watched his highlight video and he looks like he has a lot of potential. I don't mind if we sign him if we get other experienced quality players around him.

Last edited:

Tsunami

Supports
Newcastle
Cheers for the input, you reckon Mike Ashley will sell at the right price?
At the right price Mike would sell his family. He’s in it for the money and 17th in the league every year with the smallest outlay possible.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Is correct.

izec

No issue with signing this fella or James. I worry about only signing players like him, who need time to settle in. I think we also need a higher caliber of player, someone lifting everyone around. If we buy James, Longstaff, Rice, Wan Bissaka for example, they all are talented, but i dont see anyone of them having the platform and the players around them to perform to their potential. They are all young and we are unstable, so i hope to see a mix of young and potential and some players that are already experienced and have witnessed things on the pitch, without being injury plagued and on their last legs.

Walters_19_MuFc

He reminds me of Carrick. The way he moves, passes, etc. With Carrick being a huge Newcastle fan, I wouldn't be surprised if Longstaff is someone he's been keeping his eye on for quite a while.

In this video, his passing just looks so effortless, both long and short.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Spoke to a Newcastle supporting colleague of mine on the day skysports had the article up that we were interested in him. He laughed and said no chance, Longstaff is a Geordie who loves the club. He's not going anywhere.

It appears to be the case to be fair!

izec

Spoke to a Newcastle supporting colleague of mine on the day skysports had the article up that we were interested in him. He laughed and said no chance, Longstaff is a Geordie who loves the club. He's not going anywhere.

It might be too early, he just started playing for their first team and maybe would like another season there.

Gerald G

No thanks. Way too soon for this too and yes it means if he improves his price will go up but far too big a risk to take at this current stage.

zenith

Absolutely and agree with you a 100%. Building a team needs patience and hard work and it begins like this only.

oreon

Absolutely and agree with you a 100%. Building a team needs patience and hard work and it begins like this only.
No one is against signing young players. It's about the level of the players you sign. Longstaff, James are not the same level as a Sancho, Ndombele or Joao Felix. Sancho was the best player in the 2nd best team in one of the top 5 leagues. UTD is way behind the rivals. We need players who can produce right now. If we want to go young, we can sign elite young players who can produce. James whose playing in the championship can't be the answer the hole in the RW. Just can't be. If these young british players are being brought to be starting players, you can expect to be out of the top 4 for couple of seasons.

Wheato

Get him signed up. He will be like a breath of fresh air. I would happily watch us build a squad of decent young players and turn them into a team. Instead of overpriced mercenaries who won't put a shift in.

manunited1919

Are these players going to go out on loan immediately, just like Chelsea do? Setting up a loan farm maybe?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Imagine it: the year is 2024. The kit no longer has the Chevrolet logo on it. Longstaff and James are at the peak of their world class careers with Nathan Collins not far behind. Fred’s favourite to win Balon D’or. Ashley Young’s 19 stone and the assistant manager of non-league Leeds United. Life is class.

Walters_19_MuFc

Totally agree. However, we must be careful in making sure we're not just signing potential, because if they don't live up to their hype, we'll be in a similar situation to what Arsenal were in a few years ago.

Drainy

Ring of truth to this.

USREDEVIL

Imagine it: the year is 2024. The kit no longer has the Chevrolet logo on it. Longstaff and James are at the peak of their world class careers with Nathan Collins not far behind. Fred’s favourite to win Balon D’or. Ashley Young’s 19 stone and the assistant manager of non-league Leeds United. Life is class.
I'll need some pretty heavy hallucinogenics for that "mate."

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I'll need some pretty heavy hallucinogenics for that "mate."
I thought you were sticking quotes round mate to be a sarcastic cnut but turns out you’re just American. Howdy

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Are people comparing Carrick to this fella simply because they’re from the same part of the country? I mean what the feck has he done do be remotely compared to Carrick? Jesus...

purgethefallen

If we were also signing someone like Ruben Neves and these lads were squad players I'd be fine with it. We'll have to wait and see but I feel like things are going to get worse before they get better.
What is with the caf's obsession with Neves? He's not been good in games I've seen and Wolves' fans don't seem overly impressed by him.

kirk buttercup

This place confuses me in fairness
* we dont want to buy talented youth( unless they are Portuguese or Spanish or Dutch etc.)
* we want to buy big players like city
* we want to buy off the radar like liverpool
* we want the United way ala Fergie ( loads of people forget he bought some howlers too)
* We want youth
*we need experience
* homegrown is best
* I hate Lingard and Rashford ( not me I like them )

For me sign the young lad give him a chance . In my opinion Mctominay was very good this year and we need more like that .

I am sure I will get lashed, but we all want us to get back to the top maybe just maybe Superstars aren't the way

purgethefallen

:lol:

NoPace

You can't deny the summer sounds very Hodgson/Dalglish Liverpool so far though.
Absolutely.

I'm a foreign muppet/phrenology type idiot myself. If we only ever signed Spanish central midfielders I'd be real happy.

SaintMuppet

I certainly hope we aren’t betting on these type of signings to carry us next season. If we are taking a punt on a couple of these players, then fine. But we need to buy proven talent in the age range of 22-26.

These are rumours at this stage, but if this is the strategy we will follow, it may get a whole lot uglier before it gets better.

People need to realize that this is exactly what will need to happen if a solid long term fix is to happen.

Without overspending I don’t think we are as attractive proposition as we once were. I used to see United shirts all over Asia, now I see City, Liverpool and of course Leicester. Globally things are shifting and even a powerhouse like United could suffer over time.

I expect nothing more than 3 or 4 additions this summer. These won’t be top dollar players either. I don’t like it but I am prepared and anything else will be a bonus.

People expecting big names to be filling the team sheet next year might be in for a disappointment.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
@MaxiPaxi

This is the Guardian piece that made the Carrick comparison. And having watched him play around 3 or 4 games, I can see the why.
Thanks lad. Will read it tomorrow when I’m a bit more sober. :)

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
This place confuses me in fairness
* we dont want to buy talented youth( unless they are Portuguese or Spanish or Dutch etc.)
* we want to buy big players like city
* we want to buy off the radar like liverpool
* we want the United way ala Fergie ( loads of people forget he bought some howlers too)
* We want youth
*we need experience
* homegrown is best
* I hate Lingard and Rashford ( not me I like them )

For me sign the young lad give him a chance . In my opinion Mctominay was very good this year and we need more like that .

I am sure I will get lashed, but we all want us to get back to the top maybe just maybe Superstars aren't the way
Well we should not put players in boxes and we should look at every player individually. But, I think our transfer policy should be the sign top players. And with Longstaff he is not currently a top player and I do not know if we have seen enough to show that he has the potential to be a top player.

Status
Not open for further replies.