Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacks

I was responding to @Stacks asking why we didn't sign Longstaff earlier if we had been monitoring him for a long time. The fact that we didn't sign Rooney (who was immensely more talented) at a younger age either backs up my point that you can be monitoring and assesing someone for a while without signing them.

In other words the Rooney comparison specifically referred to the decision not to sign them as youngsters, not the decision to actually sign them later. At no point was I comparing Longstaff's 9 PL games to Rooney's greater experience at Everton or with England.
Rooney was a literal child playing in youth team. Longsquets is a 21 year old who has 2 full seasons under his belt. It would make sense to wait before signing a 14-17 year old before "further assessment"

Brophs

The One and Only
I think most would Not bat an eyelid at 25mill valuation.
Most who? Supporters or clubs? To be quite honest, I wouldn't put much stock in what some supporters would be willing to pay. They just want transfers and don't have to worry about any real world implications. In my humble opinion, £25m for a guy with some Scottish and League One experience and less than 10 PL games is a toppy price.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Greenwood is 18 years old, Longstaff is 22. If Greenwood only managed to play 9 games a season for us four years later then yes, 35m please.
So if Longstaff was 18 and had played 9 games, you’d agreed fir us to pay him 35m??

SteveW

I think anyone with even the tiniest amount of football understanding can see we desperately need a couple of midfielders. They'd be stupid not to use that against us.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I think anyone with even the tiniest amount of football understanding can see we desperately need a couple of midfielders. They'd be stupid not to use that against us.
I agree. It's a sellers market at the moment and clubs recognize that they can hold out for big money from the big clubs.

dogwithabone

Assuming youre of a certain age that you realise the club was run correctly by football men when those players were signed...for reasonable fees I might add.

Also your insinuating here that this Longstaff Chap is in the same bracket as those past players?? Go back to bed mate.

What are you on about ?

Cantona was wandering about from club to club and being rejected before a spell at Leeds alerted us. Ole was playing in some backwater in Norway, Ronaldo was basically a sprinter in Portugal and Kanchelskis stuck out deep in the Ukraine. I’m not saying Longstaff will ultimately surpass any of those or even be their equals but what he’s briefly done at Newcastle in the PL has obviously alerted us in the same way these others did.

In terms of reasonable fees I take it you have heard of inflation and if you have do you actually understand it’s meaning ?

Hughie77

Assuming reports are correct, they want £50 million? Never going to happen, and again if true he wants to talk?

He's a £25 million gamble, not played enough for the money? Saying that niether has AWB, had a full season and a bit for palace , 40 odd games I think? Longstaff is a prospect and The toon know it, trying to screw us for more?

Drainy

Assuming reports are correct, they want £50 million? Never going to happen, and again if true he wants to talk?

He's a £25 million gamble, not played enough for the money? Saying that niether has AWB, had a full season and a bit for palace , 40 odd games I think? Longstaff is a prospect and The toon know it, trying to screw us for more?
If the reports are correct Newcastle would like to keep him and likely set the price high for that reason.

Tarrou

I don't see what is so unreasonable asking for £50m if United come calling

Villa are spunking £20m on centre backs who can't get in the Bournemouth team

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

A CB who performed for them all season.

beingshe7don

Haha.... You don't see anything wrong with United spending 50m on Longstaff
1. Tielemans to Leicester for 40m
2. Barella to Inter for 45m
3. Joachim Andersen to Lyon for 21.5m
4. Eder Militao to Real Madrid for 44m
5. Frankie De Jong to Barcelona for 65m (I don't think the difference between De Jong and Longstaff is just 15m)
6. Rodri to City for 63m (Again, I don't think the difference between Rodri and Longstaff is 13m)
7. Ndombele to Spurs for 55m
8. Pavard to Bayern for 31m
9. Kovacic to Chelsea for 40m
10. Dendoncker to Wolves for 12m
11. Wan Bassaka for 45m

All of the aforementioned players have played a lot more games and have represented their respective countries.

Not sure how Longstaff is worth 50m after 9 games? It's not like he scored 9 goals in those games to come close to justifying the cost.

Tarrou

5. Frankie De Jong to Barcelona for 65m (I don't think the difference between De Jong and Longstaff is just 15m)
6. Rodri to City for 63m (Again, I don't think the difference between Rodri and Longstaff is 13m)
11. Wan Bassaka for 45m

All of the aforementioned players have played a lot more games and have represented their respective countries.

Not sure how Longstaff is worth 50m after 9 games? It's not like he scored 9 goals in those games to come close to justifying the cost.
No I didn't say that, I don't think there is anything unreasonable with them asking for that much. Frankly I think they'd be stupid not to.

beingshe7don

No I didn't say that, I don't think there is anything unreasonable with them asking for that much. Frankly I think they'd be stupid not to.
That's how inflation kicks in when clubs start demanding unreasonable amounts and people like Ed actually act on it. It affects everyone.... because then Longstaff (who has no experience) is being quoted for 50m.

Havak

Pokemon master

The fact is, Premier League clubs are under so much less pressure to sell their best / most promising players than they ever have been. If they end up having their arm twisted enough or the player asks to leave, then they'll eventually cave in. However, they can now be considerably more stubborn and demand far higher fees than they used to as if the player isn't desperate to step up yet, they, in turn, would rather keep their services than get the money (unless that money is astronomical).

Despite these examples being players with more experience, Kyle Walker to City for £50m, van Dijk to Liverpool for £75m, Perez to Leicester for £30m, Wan-Bissaka to ourselves for £50m... These are all sums that at the time of them happening seem like too much money, not to mention Leicester holding out for silly money for Maguire. Newcastle might rate this Longstaff kid as high as say, Everton did Wayne Rooney when he broke through? If they think he can get anywhere near that level for them and he has a lot of promise, they're obviously going to want to drag this out. They don't even have a manager yet so any money they can bring into the club is probably going to allow them to hire a better manager if they're allowed to spend this money.

George The Best

So you actually believe that the club are unaware of the basic stats you keep presenting from WhoScored and that we would be better at signing players if someone started using that?

We have 6 people who is dedicated to analyzing the teams we play against each week. They use both video and statistic when they analyse.

I can guarantee that we have people in our scouting system dedicated to it. But they have access to alot more numbers than you do. And they do it for a living..
And if it is the same team that identified AWB that has come up with Longstaff, then i’d put a lot of store in that decision. AWB looked very, very good today. Longstaff maybe overpriced but sellers are always going to start high in this market. We would/are doing the same.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
That's how inflation kicks in when clubs start demanding unreasonable amounts and people like Ed actually act on it. It affects everyone.... because then Longstaff (who has no experience) is being quoted for 50m.
That's dictated by the buying club, not the selling. Newcastle don't want to sell. That's their 'we don't want to sell' price.

George The Best

Just market forces isn’t it. Plenty of clubs will have seen 45 mins from Gomes & Greenwood today. If anyone was interested I doubt we’d be asking for less than £50m in today’s market.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Certainly inflation has raised the prices. But i think Newcastle are prepared to haggle. I think 35 million with a bit of pressure from Longstaff himself would close the deal.

But yea, if Aston Villa were interested in buying him, they would probably get him for 20 million or perhaps less. We sort of pay a "man utd tax" given who we are and the revenues we have.

George The Best

Ole and the coaching staff probably don't think Garner is ready to be thrust into the first team hence they're going for Longstaff.
Agree with this, plus I think Gomes and Greenwood will make the squad this season, so we are not likely to add another Youth player imo. Makes sense, to me at least, to try and strengthen the rest of the squad with acquisitions. I haven’t seen much of Longstaff to form a judgement, but AWB looks a very tidy player based on today - so this may well be the way to go.

Ashes1396

Newcastle are justified to price him out of a move. Unfortunately they've also put unnecessary pressure on the young lad.

Wan bisaka was on several metrics argubly one of the best right backs in the league.

Unfortunately Longstaff is a long way down the pecking order when it comes to central midfielders.

Red_toad

11. Wan Bassaka for 45m

Don’t you get it’s his clubs ‘valuation’, not what anyone will pay for him. Obviously he’s not worth 50 million and that’s why no one will pay that amount for him. I really don’t get why so many need to compare fees to a valuation. Or repeatedly state he’s not worth 50 million.
He’s a player that our scouts have identified as having a lot of potential. United value him at less than 25 million. Outside that it’s all blurb as if Newcastle say they want 50 million, no deal will happen.

Bondi77

Surely this is one of the things now that make the Premier League the best in the world:

Newcastle are always going to be in the betting for relegation and yet they are strong enough financially to be able to set their own price for their own player to either ward off interest or get way over the odds for him if the player himself wants to leave, imagine this happening in the other major leagues.

I want us to win everything obviously being a fan of our great club but in a way I am glad the big teams do not get it completely their own way over the lesser teams as it makes the league more exciting.

Last edited by a moderator:

AKDevil

Don’t you get it’s his clubs ‘valuation’, not what anyone will pay for him. Obviously he’s not worth 50 million and that’s why no one will pay that amount for him. I really don’t get why so many need to compare fees to a valuation. Or repeatedly state he’s not worth 50 million.
He’s a player that our scouts have identified as having a lot of potential. United value him at less than 25 million. Outside that it’s all blurb as if Newcastle say they want 50 million, no deal will happen.
Some common sense here.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
What are you on about ?

Cantona was wandering about from club to club and being rejected before a spell at Leeds alerted us. Ole was playing in some backwater in Norway, Ronaldo was basically a sprinter in Portugal and Kanchelskis stuck out deep in the Ukraine. I’m not saying Longstaff will ultimately surpass any of those or even be their equals but what he’s briefly done at Newcastle in the PL has obviously alerted us in the same way these others did.

In terms of reasonable fees I take it you have heard of inflation and if you have do you actually understand it’s meaning ?
Ed Woodward scouting players vs Fergies set up!! I know what id pick.

You clearly have no idea what inflation is so let me put some figures down for you considering I'm the one with a masters in economics.

Kanchelskis.... 900k in 1991......approx 1.9 mill in todays money....

Cantona 1.6 mill in 1992.... approx 3.25 mill in today's money....

Ole 2.25 mill in 1996.....4.14 million in todays money

Ronaldo 17.1 mill in 2004..... 25.7 million in todays money.

Ronaldo is the only remote risk there from a financial point of view notwithstanding the fact that these players were scouted and/or assessed by Alex Ferguson and his team of people that got it spot on most of the time which is clear from the 4 players here mentioned. All quite successful at United.

We are now far beyond hyper inflation in the football world where agents and clubs create exorbitant fees for players that have achieved a grand total of zero so far in the game when a well funded club comes calling. Financial behemoth clubs are distorting the market. PSG paying silly money for Neymar. Barca and Coutunho. Ridiculous fees. Sanchez and his wages. Scandalous.

Daniel James was going to leeds for 8.5 million and then he joins United for nearly double that figure. Why the increase?

Sean Longstaff playing a few games for Newcastle means hes a 50 million player?
Jesus H Christ. If Everton or similar were bidding for him he'd be 15 or 20 million. Max. But its United so the premium is added.

Longstaff is not worth 50 million in my opinion but then worth is only determined by the price someone is willing to pay. So if that's his price tag and United pay it then it is what it is.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Thats nothing to do with inflation. Its demand based pricing

Eric's Seagull

Ed Woodward scouting players vs Fergies set up!! I know what id pick.

You clearly have no idea what inflation is so let me put some figures down for you considering I'm the one with a masters in economics.

Kanchelskis.... 900k in 1991......approx 1.9 mill in todays money....

Cantona 1.6 mill in 1992.... approx 3.25 mill in today's money....

Ole 2.25 mill in 1996.....4.14 million in todays money

Ronaldo 17.1 mill in 2004..... 25.7 million in todays money.

Ronaldo is the only remote risk there from a financial point of view notwithstanding the fact that these players were scouted and/or assessed by Alex Ferguson and his team of people that got it spot on most of the time which is clear from the 4 players here mentioned. All quite successful at United.

We are now far beyond hyper inflation in the football world where agents and clubs create exorbitant fees for players that have achieved a grand total of zero so far in the game when a well funded club comes calling. Financial behemoth clubs are distorting the market. PSG paying silly money for Neymar. Barca and Coutunho. Ridiculous fees. Sanchez and his wages. Scandalous.

Daniel James was going to leeds for 8.5 million and then he joins United for nearly double that figure. Why the increase?

Sean Longstaff playing a few games for Newcastle means hes a 50 million player?
Jesus H Christ. If Everton or similar were bidding for him he'd be 15 or 20 million. Max. But its United so the premium is added.

Longstaff is not worth 50 million in my opinion but then worth is only determined by the price someone is willing to pay. So if that's his price tag and United pay it then it is what it is.
I would really like for us to have someone similar to Kanchelskis now. Him on on wing and Giggs on the other were amazing.

Eric's Seagull

Super wasnt it. Width and speed. Tearing teams wide open.
Totally agreed mate. One of my favourite players when I first started watching United. He had electric pace, was strong enough to hold the defenders off, good on the ball, good eye for a pass, could whip a mean cross in the box, could score some from some seemingly impossible angles and could smash a spectacular volley every once in a while. The play Giggs and him for his goal against Norwich in 1994/95 was amazing :drool:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I actually kind of think this could be a good thing for both the player and United (us). Even at 20m this felt like a bit of a crazy move, not Bebe levels but more like Hernandez. Because of the media (and fans) appetite for ever larger numbers and hype, the kid is now going to be a focal point of the season, whatever he does.

So let him stay at Newcastle and see if he's good enough. 9 matches is simply not a large enough sample size. If he is, great, we've made our interest known, maybe he becomes a 25m+ player by next season, playing every week at Newcastle.

Even if we sign him, he's not going to be a regular starter, so wouldn't get the chances needed to become someone worth the kind of fees being mentioned.

Buying potential or bargain hunting is only a thing if you get a bargain.

Eric's Seagull

Danchelskis!

James is similar to him albeit he prefers the left
Haven't seen much of him and sadly I missed yesterdays game which I read he played well in but will be watching all the rest on the tour. Danchelsksis has a great ring to it.Really hope you are right on that. Would be very happy if he gets anywhere near Kanchelskis was mate.

Hughie77

If the reports are correct Newcastle would like to keep him and likely set the price high for that reason.
Yes they would, but if the boy wants to leave, why stand in his way, he may not get another chance to move? All respect to the toon there not going to challenge for anything, more like hoping to stay in the prem.

It's up to him if a bids been made to get out of there?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
For 50m, I'd say no thanks. Would rather give Garner his chances.

Also, if we are throwing 50m at young cms, I'd rather throw it at Ajax for Van De Beek.

Eric's Seagull

Yes they would, but if the boy wants to leave, why stand in his way, he may not get another chance to move? All respect to the toon there not going to challenge for anything, more like hoping to stay in the prem.

It's up to him if a bids been made to get out of there?
No matter how much they want to keep him. If he wants to. I think they should let him move somewhere he thinks he has a chance of having a better career and gaining some silverware.

Status
Not open for further replies.