Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishpan2

Honestly, I would consider giving my kidney to Woodward to stop Matic from starting another game. The fact is, he turned into a slow grandpa who always makes us look even more vulnerable at the back than we usually are.

The guy is done. Whether we always play Pogba-McTom or we get another cm for the 4-3-3, all I want is never again getting that pit in my stomach when I see him in the lineup before a game.

davidmichael

Right now I think I’d take any defensive midfielder just so Matic can’t play often as this pre season has shown he’s done and his legs are gone, this upcoming season Matic will 100% be our weak spot and teams will exploit him.

I do think Maguire and Wan-Bissaka will be a massive upgrade on our defence and will definitely shore us up a lot but if we play 4-2-3-1 it means we’re taking a lot out of Pogba’s natural game which hurts us and McTominay will have to have a godly season to make that work but in a 4-3-3 it’s almost certain Matic will play which hurts us more.

HD7

Really really believe now we need to get only one of Dybala/Bruno and concentrate on a new DMF asap!

If Longstaff has the energy and stamina then so be it. The good thing about him is he can be taken now with the notion he will gradually take the spot of Matic. Then when matches start and things continue like in the friendlies with Matic... he could easily take over.

We did the right upgrades with Maguire and AWB. I sure hope we did.

In midfied though we really needed guys like Ndidi and Neves to blend with Pogba. We were going to have the needed engine room vs the top teams. A maestro + defensive midfielder with a lot of pressing + Pogba to do his magic calmly.
Oh well...

So if we can a least have the stamina and hustle of Longstaff and MCtominay, and they surprise us with their progress... Pogba can even play as AMF in some matches and Dybala at the very top of the attack :)

RedNed77

Can we please just get this deal done. AWB, Maguire, James & Longstaff would be a fairly good summer in my eyes, as long as we don't lose Pogba.

-----------------DDG------------------
- AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw -
-------McTominay - Longstaff-------
------James - Pogba - Rashford-----
----------------Martial----------------

S: Romero, Dalot, Smalling, Matic, Mata, Gomes & Greenwood

Thats going to be enough to roll over 60% of teams we play this year if Ole's worth his job, lets do that and see what we need next summer. We'll have bedded in some young lads and had a look at some others, whilst also hopefully building some feel good factor with some good football.

I would still like to see us sign an experienced forward like Mandzukic.

LJJT

I’d prefer Longstaff over all the others we are linked to. £50m on this lad and it’s job done

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Any man that takes Mike Ashley by his word is a fool. Following this Dybala news I do think as damage control we might just feck the kitchen sink at this now.
Damage control? We haven't even announced the 80m signing of Maguire yet.

Hanky panky

You’ve not seen him play then. Nor any grip on current transfer fees
It was mostly joke. But even in current market you can't pay 50 million for Longstaff. Moise Kean just went to Everton for under 30M. And he have always been considered much more talented player than Longstaff.

Devil may care

£50M for him would be dumb as feck, we need some proven quality added to midfield, not a player with less than 10 PL games under his belt.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
£50M for him would be dumb as feck, we need some proven quality added to midfield, not a player with less than 10 PL games under his belt.
Indeed. I can see in 12 months time us looking back on this thread and laughing

He needs another season at Newcastle before he gets any move let alone one to here

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Damage control? We haven't even announced the 80m signing of Maguire yet.
I know it sounds ridiculous but that's old news now :lol: I guarantee you that Maguire tweet is gonna be filled with people howling demanding we actually strengthen our midfield and attack which is currently in a worse state than it was last year.

LJJT

It was mostly joke. But even in current market you can't pay 50 million for Longstaff. Moise Kean just went to Everton for under 30M. And he have always been considered much more talented player than Longstaff.
30m massive gamble kean

He needs another season at Newcastle before he gets any move let alone one to here
Yeah I agree. We will look back on it and think shit that £50m was cheap back then, now it’s 80m. £50m for a home grown top drawer midfielder who can be pivotal for the team for the next 10 years is cheap enough; oh well let’s see how much he’s worth next year

Devil may care

It's bizarre that our midfield is in such a mess and yet he appears to be the only actual proper CM we are looking at.

Hanky panky

English players are overpriced and specially when they move inside PL. And i can say, i dont think Harry Maguire's price is THAT bad. He is proven quality and actually almost cheap if you compare it to Longstaff's 50M. :) Ok, it's not away from my pocket and i think club should invest to team but 50M is insane price, even in 2019. Cut 50% then it maybe would be worth of gamble.

RedNed77

It's bizarre that our midfield is in such a mess and yet he appears to be the only actual proper CM we are looking at.
That's because he looks like a proper CM. You are judging him based on how he hs looked in his 10 games for the Newcastle first team. The back room setup will have come up against him repeatedly during youth games and will have formed an opinion on his ability and potential. Presumably one of the first major hurdles is how the player looks when he's playing at a professional level. The fact that he's looked so at home would probably assuage that fear and, encourage us to make a bid. How much we are willing to pay is another question.

AneRu

Can we please just get this deal done. AWB, Maguire, James & Longstaff would be a fairly good summer in my eyes, as long as we don't lose Pogba.

-----------------DDG------------------
- AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw -
-------McTominay - Longstaff-------
------James - Pogba - Rashford-----
----------------Martial----------------

S: Romero, Dalot, Smalling, Matic, Mata, Gomes & Greenwood

Thats going to be enough to roll over 60% of teams we play this year if Ole's worth his job, lets do that and see what we need next summer. We'll have bedded in some young lads and had a look at some others, whilst also hopefully building some feel good factor with some good football.

I would still like to see us sign an experienced forward like Mandzukic.
Totally agree,that team has balance with the added caveat of bringing in Greenwood/Gomes on the right if they impress. Looking at Matic's form I'd give Newcastle whatever they want at this point. If the coaches and the scouts are convinced he is the real deal, I certainly like the little I have seen, then we should go all out and possibly offer them Phil Jones plus some cash.

Infestissumam

people need to stop with the 50m stuff, we'd never pay that. Just because Ashley talked tough doesn't mean the price would be that high ... Palace initially asked way more for AWB too.

Patrick08

Chelsea made an audacious bid for kepa last summer. We just need to take him this summer otherwise we have. No chance to finish top 4.

Devil may care

That's because he looks like a proper CM. You are judging him based on how he hs looked in his 10 games for the Newcastle first team. The back room setup will have come up against him repeatedly during youth games and will have formed an opinion on his ability and potential. Presumably one of the first major hurdles is how the player looks when he's playing at a professional level. The fact that he's looked so at home would probably assuage that fear and, encourage us to make a bid. How much we are willing to pay is another question.
But there are proper CM's out there with lots of proven quality and experience, what he was like at youth level is irrelevant, and even if you consider his 8 PL games to be good performances it's way too small a sample to be paying anything above £25M for when the kind of money being talked about can buy you a CM like Ndombele.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's actually very good from what I saw against the likes of City and Chelsea. His composure is top notch and he looks like he's gonna develop into a brilliant passer of the ball. He's also very mobile and is described as having a ridiculously high endurance level. I can see why the likes of Carrick want him at United. I personally would me more worried if we signed the immobile Ruben Neves after his underwhelming season in the EPL.

Status
Not open for further replies.