Sebastien Haller

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I've posted this many times but you should never judge a signing on their early form for their new club. Often they're playing on adrenaline after moving to a new country, getting a massive pay rise and the attention they get from media and fans. You see it every season when new signings bring their best form straight after signing before tapering off significantly.
In fairness many were rating him on his Frankfurt form. 15 goals in Bundesliga in 18/19 so pretty much 1 in 2 and 5 more in the europa league (think he was injured for the Chelsea games). West Ham signed him at 25 aswell so a good age for a forward. Joenlithon at Hoffenheim didn't come close to that sort of ratio. Us paying 22m for Wesley was also worse than Haller imo.

I know he had Rebic and Jovic buzzing around him at Frankfurt but when you see the form Antonio was in last 10 games surely they've could've had those two combining to decent level.

Bit of a mystery especially as he's decent on crosses and Moyes teams love to cross the ball in.

acnumber9

What happened to this dude?

Do the posters who wanted him at Man United still feel the same?
Yet further evidence that people on this forum watch a You Tube video and then pretend they know all about them and how United are idiots for not signing them. Goes right along the outcry when we didn’t sign Serge Aurier and the constant demands for us to sign Meunièr.

NYAS

Ah, the classic Caf “I only watch the PL” posters coming in here to have a field day about someone who started the season on fire, went a bit quiet and then had an injury and whose main competition in the team was one of the form players in the league. In his first season in a new league, of course this now means he’s a dud, a failure, and one of the worst signings of the season.

Never change. West Ham should have signed David Nugent. Yeah he’s about 55 years old, but he’s not some fancy foreigner; he gets English football. He gets the PL. He gets us.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Ah, the classic Caf “I only watch the PL” posters coming in here to have a field day
Which one - the Feyenoord fan, the Benfica fan, or the Rostock fan? :wenger:

vodrake

Ah, the classic Caf “I only watch the PL” posters coming in here to have a field day about someone who started the season on fire, went a bit quiet and then had an injury and whose main competition in the team was one of the form players in the league. In his first season in a new league, of course this now means he’s a dud, a failure, and one of the worst signings of the season.

Never change. West Ham should have signed David Nugent. Yeah he’s about 55 years old, but he’s not some fancy foreigner; he gets English football. He gets the PL. He gets us.
But he has been a failure and one of the worst signings of the season considering the amount West Ham spent on him and how much he's actually contributed, and there's a good chance they'll be flogging him off for a loss before the start of next season

SATA

Who was the other striker who played with him at Frankfurt? Was it Jovic? He was quite a flop as well at Real Madrid. Where is he playing now anyway? I'm glad we don't splash money on these hipster strikers or players

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He's been tragic, and yet I saw the other day that he's scored 7 goals... In fact he'd have finished West Ham's top scorer if not for Antonio going on this mad post-lockdown run.

So erm, money well spent?!
I cannot remember a single one.

GazTheLegend

It's just a bit of "I told you so" at the people who freak out massively (yourself included?) when we don't sign these players that the CafScouts have watched a YouTube video of and then spend a few days berating Ed Woodward, Solskjaer etc for their idiocy.

A healthy reminder that signings for whatever reason don't always work out at other clubs, not just ourselves, and our coaching/management/scouting aren't the absolute morons you'd think if you read the caf every August.

The only reason City get away with some of their dodgy signings is because if their first 60 million player doesn't train well, they'll just sign another one a week later.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Lets add some context here

Playing for Westham- a relegation contender who had 3 managers(including care taker) who all played 3 different styles .He is absolutely not a fit for a defensive team.He need runners and crosses.

First season in England

Westham top scorers in last 4 seasons scored 9, 11,10,10 . He scored 7 this season from 24 starts.

whoscored has given an average rating of 7.35 when he started. ( their final season rating table has both Sterling and Rashford at 7.35 and Maddison at 7.34)

Flopped? Sure, it's all about perspective. Think Moyes will keep him for one more season and play with Antonio as his partner. He is actually a Moyes type of forward.

Would I take him at United? Yes, he would be a better backup than Ighalo.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Who was the other striker who played with him at Frankfurt? Was it Jovic? He was quite a flop as well at Real Madrid. Where is he playing now anyway? I'm glad we don't splash money on these hipster strikers or players
A lot of top class players would have been "hipster players" before moving to a more successful club. Aguero at Atletico, Kompany at Anderlecht/Hamburg, Hazard at Lille, De Bruyne at Wolfsburg, Griezmann at Sociedad, Fabinho at Monaco... etc etc etc

Wan

England will win the next World Cup with Bruno in the squad. Mark my words.

Robbie Boy

Tevez and Mascherano turning up there together on deadline day was absolutely shocking. Been more than a decade though
I still remember it well. Back in the simpler times before social media. I remember watching SSN and West Ham announcing them both. It was crazy.

Robbie Boy

A lot of top class players would have been "hipster players" before moving to a more successful club. Aguero at Atletico, Kompany at Anderlecht/Hamburg, Hazard at Lille, De Bruyne at Wolfsburg, Griezmann at Sociedad, Fabinho at Monaco... etc etc etc
All them players you listed are the opposite of what the poster meant. The players you mentioned were all tipped to make it to the absolute top of the game from relatively young ages.

The poster - from what I can tell - meant players that aren't really all that, that may have had a good season. Posters will then come on here acting like they've been watching 'said player' for years now and they would be a good 'alternative' signing to a 'mainstream' signing.

NYAS

It's just a bit of "I told you so" at the people who freak out massively (yourself included?) when we don't sign these players that the CafScouts have watched a YouTube video of and then spend a few days berating Ed Woodward, Solskjaer etc for their idiocy.

A healthy reminder that signings for whatever reason don't always work out at other clubs, not just ourselves, and our coaching/management/scouting aren't the absolute morons you'd think if you read the caf every August.

The only reason City get away with some of their dodgy signings is because if their first 60 million player doesn't train well, they'll just sign another one a week later.
No, I didn’t freak out that we didn’t sign him. I can see the value in him as a player based on the form he showed previously but I couldn’t care less that we didn’t sign him.

My point was that it’s been his first season in a new league. You can’t say that he “hasn’t worked out at West Ham”. By all means if he isn’t better next season then it would be a more solid base from which to criticise him from.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's also won the most headers in the league... a whopping 218 out of 424.

Sean Dyche will be on the phone to Moyesy soon.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
They had a very potent front 3 of Haller, Jovic, & Ante Rebic. Jovic is at Madrid (transferred there last summer; has had myriad issues and Benzema's form limits his minutes). Rebic was at Milan on loan this past year, scored 11 goals from 25 appearances in Serie A. He was very effective; seems Milan are trying to sign him permanently now.

SAFMUTD

Joellington and him for the worst signing of the season without a doubt.

Just shows how Bundesliga level is no where near the PL. At least defensive wise. I watch some games regularly and they are really entertaining I can understand how new fans fall in love with that league. Its all attack and no defence, a great spectacle but not good enough when facing solid opposition.

Haller, Joelinton and Luka Jovic where spectacular in the bundesliga and watch them now playing against team that actually defend and you dont attack 1 on 1 everytime.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord

Just shows how Bundesliga level is no where near the PL. At least defensive wise. I watch some games regularly and they are really entertaining I can understand how new fans fall in love with that league. Its all attack and no defence, a great spectacle but not good enough when facing solid opposition.

Haller, Joelinton and Luka Jovic where spectacular in the bundesliga and watch them now playing against team that actually defend and you dont attack 1 on 1 everytime.
Tbh I had never heard of Joelinton before he transferred to England. So can't judge, but his number in Germany are pretty bad actually.

Jovic and Haller got more widespreak reputation for smashing everyone in the Europa League rather than Bundesliga, I think.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I will let him off.

Nobody gets better when they go to West Ham.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Tbh I had never heard of Joelinton before he transferred to England. So can't judge, but his number in Germany are pretty bad actually.

Jovic and Haller got more widespreak reputation for smashing everyone in the Europa League rather than Bundesliga, I think.
Why did I get an alert that you quoted me? Not that I mind, I actually agree with your post, was just curious.

tomaldinho1

He was decent in the Dutch league, but that says very little. Vincent Janssen was far better in the Dutch league. So was Van Wolfswinkel, Luuk de Jong, Bjorn Vlemmincxs.

Of course there's always the odd Luis Suarez or Ibrahimovic, but Hallër was good at Utrecht. That's usually a sign that you may be good enough for Feyenoord. Not the prem.
But my post isn't claiming he's the nezt Suarez, it's simply asking why people are completely writing him off when there's a bit of a pattern when he's moved leagues. For what it's worth I think he's a good striker, not anywhere near elite level, but in the right setup would be a great asset to a mid-table team.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
But my post isn't claiming he's the nezt Suarez, it's simply asking why people are completely writing him off when there's a bit of a pattern when he's moved leagues. For what it's worth I think he's a good striker, not anywhere near elite level, but in the right setup would be a great asset to a mid-table team.
I may have worded it wrong a bit, I'm not saying that he has to be the new Suarez, I meant that he might be the next Vincent Janssen or Luuk de Jong who were even better than Haller in The Netherlands and failed completely in the premier league.

Either way, you're right that the situation at West Ham was a bit shit, and who knows, he might turn things around.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

The fact that you're saying Joelinton and spectacular together really makes me doubt how much of the BL you actually watched. Joelinton scores 7 goals and is 'spectacular' in the BL while Haller scores 7 goals and is a 'failure' in the EPL. Yea sure.

Haller and Jovic were certainly great in the BL, but no one, and I repeat no one, in the BL ever considered Joelinton going for 40 MP. That was just a horrible horrible transfer by Newcastle for a player who had nothing more than decent season, he had a great spell of 2-3 games, which got him in the limelight last season, but hardly did anything else the rest of the season.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Looks like an absolute unit. How the hell did we miss him for 45m ?

Really like him.
If someone looked at the analytics on this forum, some variation of 'how did we miss out on this guy" must be one the most common combination of words.

SAFMUTD

The fact that you're saying Joelinton and spectacular together really makes me doubt how much of the BL you actually watched. Joelinton scores 7 goals and is 'spectacular' in the BL while Haller scores 7 goals and is a 'failure' in the EPL. Yea sure.

Haller and Jovic were certainly great in the BL, but no one, and I repeat no one, in the BL ever considered Joelinton going for 40 MP. That was just a horrible horrible transfer by Newcastle for a player who had nothing more than decent season, he had a great spell of 2-3 games, which got him in the limelight last season, but hardly did anything else the rest of the season.
Youre right I take it back, I assumed Joelinton had better numbers in bundesliga because of the fee newcastle paid, it turns out he was also shit over there. As you said horrible horrible transfer for Newcastle. Wtf were they thinking.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Youre right I take it back, I assumed Joelinton had better numbers in bundesliga because of the fee newcastle paid, it turns out he was also shit over there. As you said horrible horrible transfer for Newcastle. Wtf were they thinking.
Yea man, I actually went back and saw the Transfer Tweets thread when this news broke and everyone was astonished by that figure :lol: No one is shocked that he hasn't been worth that fee, though he should be doing better than 2 goals in 38 games.

JPB

Can we please get Ten Hag and this guy also to replace Cavani. I'm really liking what I've seen of him so far.

JPB

No thanks.
Let me take a wild guess. You're a Pochettino guy? Why would you say no? He's scoring for fun at the moment. Top Scorer in his league and also Top scorer in the Champions League.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Let me take a wild guess. You're a Pochettino guy? Why would you say no? He's scoring for fun at the moment. Top Scorer in his league and also Top scorer in the Champions League.
Swing and a miss!

Because I don't think he's good enough. We saw him for two years at West Ham.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Though great for Ajax, wouldnt want him at United. Even under Ten Hag.

JPB

Swing and a miss!

Because I don't think he's good enough. We saw him for two years at West Ham.
Well he just broke Haaland's record. Fastest player to score 10 Champions League goals. He did it in 6 games. That's just crazy.