Seeing football in person vs football on television

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I was at the Barca/Getafe match and then was able to attend the Madrid Derby.

Seems like some were finding the Madrid derby to be a bit boring but I found it exhilarating in person. It was cagey but some of those chances and half chances had the crowd going.

Now I imagine if I watched it at home, maybe I wouldn’t be nearly as impressed. The majority weren’t too happy with that match it seems but it’s funny how in person you remember all the half chances and dubious calls whereas on TV you probably forget a lot of them once the match is over.

I find the difference between football in person and on TV drastically different, almost as much as any other sport.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Better atmosphere and excitment in stadia, but the watching on TV I see more of the game.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
In person you also get to see the dynamic off the ball movements that cannot be seen on live tv. You can actually can tell a centerback running from deep telling off another cb to cover him, so he can run up to support attacks. Its the small small things.

Skills

Snitch
As a spectacle football looks a lot worse in real life. Same for cricket funnily enough, the 6s players hit don't look anywhere as impressive.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
As a spectacle football looks a lot worse in real life. Same for cricket funnily enough, the 6s players hit don't look anywhere as impressive.
Really? I think it’s the exact opposite. It is always incredible the technique the players possess

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
Better atmosphere and excitment in stadia, but the watching on TV I see more of the game.
Definitely disagree with this. You follow the game the camera director allows you to follow. You can’t watch half the tactical set ups, player runs off the ball, how things change during the game.

Edit - Unless you mean because you aren’t chatting to mates at the game?

GGT

I used to watch tennis live, it is exhilarating.
On Tv you don't get to realise the speed at which the ball is hit, and how much movement the players have to perform. Have always wondered how fit a tennis player is compared to a footballer.

Last edited by a moderator:

NoneBmStore

Apart from the experience itself of being in a 40,000+ crowd, you really get a much better overview of what players have true vision across the field and which players pick the easy solution to a pressed situation.

Being able to see the entire field at all times changes ones perspective of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Definitely disagree with this. You follow the game the camera director allows you to follow. You can’t watch half the tactical set ups, player runs off the ball, how things change during the game.
Yeah, in the stadium you get a much better sense of the setup and tactics and overall 'flow' of the game. TV on the other hand is much more focused on individual skill.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I wasn't really impressed by football in real life tbh. I prefer TV.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I don't agree. The only things TV really has going for it are closeups of goalmouth incidents etc at the far end of the stadium and action replays.

The speed of the game, and the ball, is taken for granted on TV, very different (and more impressive) live, for PL and Liga level matches at least. The dynamics of the play, and the players' movement are generally more obvious live than on TV - where the camera is often tracking the ball too closely.

The other thing that's more obvious live is the role of the team organisers, the little wave or nudge that a centre back will give to a teammate to organise the defence.

I think you're right about cricket though, I think you see less at the game. It always makes me smile when I hear the crowd looking for a LBW, I know they're just reacting to the players, but it doesn't work for me. I still think the sixes look good though.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Been to a few football games and I wasn't that enthralled by it. At times I was just bored. Same when I went to an NBA game.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Watching live is better for me, but it's a good question.

TV makes footballers look more human. It's cagey and slower, less dynamic than presented on television but you can see the whole pitch and get to choose what to watch so it's great for those wannabe scouts among us. It's almost more uncomfortable.

fps

Much, much better in person, away from the incessant commentary (they say the players' names so much to get you to remember them and make them seem important) and advertising for other matches, sports etc. Away from the hype, football's a terrific team game. I tend to watch with the commentary very low on TV these days.

The only real issue with attending matches is how disgusting so many of the people in the crowds are with the things they say and shout.

fps

I used to watch tennis live, it is exhilarating.
On Tv you don't get to realise the speed at which the ball is hit, and how much movement the players have to perform. Have always wondered how fit a tennis player is compared to a footballer.
Tennis live is absolute insanity, I adore it, my favourite sport by a distance.

SirAF

Ageist
Off course. Forget about football. Being in a stadium with 40k crowd cheering is always a unique experiences by itself.

I don’t think he’s off course. i think he’s spot on!

El Zoido

It’s a bizarre disconnect watching a game live then going home and watching the highlights on TV. Almost feels like a totally different game. It feels way more dramatic on TV as well.

izec

Football in the stadium live is much better. At the beginning if you arent used to it, it is weird. But once you get the feeling for it, it is much better and exciting if you have a good seat in the stadium. I agree that the experience is completely different and in the stadium way less dramatic and big as on TV. It isnt glamourous in most games, while on TV it gets bloated up to be this spectacle.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Well yeah, cricket is shite so that makes sense.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I long for the day that they broadcast the entire game in 4K with the option to stay on a panoramic view that shows the entire pitch.

One of the things you just don't get to appreciate with the ball chasing, cutting between different closeups of players editing that they subject us to now is what different players are doing off the ball all over the pitch. You literally get about 30% of the story watching on TV.

AkaAkuma

I watched Barca from the top tier at the nou camp - nice view of the city, bloody cold.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I often wonder what football would be with live commentary over the top also.

say the live feed from sky / Martin Tyler being played over live speakers with the match infront of you.

would be odd but would add to the spectacle I think.

Mr Parker

Supports
Liverpool
Personally I much prefer to watch it on TV. I enjoy talking with friends about the game while it's happening rather than listening to some idiot in front of me screaming profanity at a player and calling him crap because he is bald or something else completely unrelated to football.

WakeAndBeek

Disagree, the feeling of a screamer being smashed in followed by the roar of the crowd beats watching it on tv followed by a cringy Martin Tyler line

big rons sovereign

Personally I much prefer to watch it on TV. I enjoy talking with friends about the game while it's happening rather than listening to some idiot in front of me screaming profanity at a player and calling him crap because he is bald or something else completely unrelated to football.
That was the beauty of terraces, being able to actually have a conversation rather than have to shout along a row of faces.

Melville Red

I loved going to matches at OT and away and have been luckily enough to see Utd win at the old Wembley and lose.
If you have a good view of the pitch, not to far away, not to close then you can’t beat being there.
However with the way things have been sanitised over the years I wouldn’t go now. I haven’t been to a match for about fifteen years now and prefer the comfort of my arm chair but I hate Martin Tyler and the rest of the modern commentators and their sidekicks who can’t keep quiet for more than ten seconds.

Melville Red

I often wonder what football would be with live commentary over the top also.

say the live feed from sky / Martin Tyler being played over live speakers with the match infront of you.

would be odd but would add to the spectacle I think.
Bloody ruin it more like. Enjoy the atmosphere of being at the ground.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
For me it is much better to see it live although I like to listen to the radio at the same time.
Mainly because I can feel easily who is doing well or not, or who is a crack. See people mutter when Ronaldo touches the ball, or see Zidane turn and dance or move without the ball for example.
Besides you can feel the noise, the pressure on the players. It´s completely different.
A very tactical and closed 0-0 can be very boring on television but quite exciting in the stadium.
If your team is losing and the game is boring you can always talk to some friend, gossip about the people around, focus on the snack of half time...

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
I struggle to enjoy watching it on the tv. The sound when a goal goes in at the stadium is immense and you are a part of it. I do have to look at highlights after a match though as depending on where you are sat you miss certain things (offsides etc). Can't wait to come to Old Trafford this season too, been before but not in the away end ;)

Adam-Utd

Bloody ruin it more like. Enjoy the atmosphere of being at the ground.
Obviously many people prefer the crowd noise and that’s fine, but many don’t also. Perhaps the option of getting earphones so you can hear the commentary would be good.

Adam-Utd

Like the cricket, yep each to their own but not on loud speakers.
Yep think that would be the best compromise.

sometimes as a stadium supporter you are left in the dark a little (VAR, injuries, subs) etc. It would work well I think.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I was in Turin a few years ago and went to a Juve midweek Europa League match against some Turkish side. Omg how slow was that game! Pirlo sleeping and all the rest not moving. So bored I got out and back home at halftime.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55

Edit - Unless you mean because you aren’t chatting to mates at the game?
True that you only watch the game the director allows you to see, but it's focused, with replays for important events one may have missed.

As for the chatting, I once went to a game in my local league that ended 3-1. I didn't see any of the goals going in, just heard the crowd cheer, turned around and the ball was in the net :lol: