Seeing Out/Killing Off Games

Heinzesight

The catch from the throw-in was the one for me. Any other keeper roles around on the floor and boots it 30 seconds later... But not De Gea, he immediately tries a difficult 60 yard pass... Why? Idiocy, that's why.
This! So frustrating.

And we’d actually been passing it out from the back quite nicely tonight until injury time when we just decide to lump it and invite them back onto us.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Things that happened in injury time

1. De Gea caught a ball from a throw in.
2. We had a throw in deep in their half
3. We had a free kick in our own half.

Each time we gave them the ball back pretty much straight away.

We turn into actual raving idiots in injury time.
Sooo frustrating tbh. We invite pressure and insecurity unto ourselves.

slored1

There's so many instances in the past two seasons where we just collapse when we need to be calm. Leicester, Sheffield United away last year, Sevilla, PSG at home, yesterday, Southampton last year.

We can't waste time when needed and needlesly press the opposing team in 90th minute, make silly fouls, concede silly corners, etc. We've got to learn how to sustain the pressure or we'll just throw it away every time we play a tight game.

el3mel

The freekick drove me nuts. Cavani won it and took his time getting up - he’s been around the block and did his bit to help see the game out. And De Gea immediately gave it straight back to them! I don’t know what goes through their heads at times, it’s like collective dementia.
When Cavani won this FK I thought the game was over. He did great winning it in such position and time while calming us down and we went on and threw it away. It was a disgrace. If I were Cavani, I would have just went and slapped De Gea and the entire defense post match. It must be hard dealing with such stupidity from your teammates on the pitch.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Why are normal people like us able to see these annoying trends, but not players and management? I assume they aren’t addressing the problem because it repeats pretty much every match.

POF

There's one reason they didn't see the game out yesterday. Wan Bissaka failed to play an easy pass in the channel to Cavani.

He gave it away, panic ensued and Everton had one last chance from the free kick. It was a terrible costly mistake.

The saddest part is that it was not in any way a surprise because Wan Bissaka is a really poor player on the ball.

RashfordisRed

Part of me thought after the Cavani foul the ref would blow, our positioning for that FK was really bad - too easy for King to isolate Axel so quickly from the header.

I think we came out to start the 2nd half too open, if we had just killed the game a bit like Arsenal play I don't think they would have got back into it.

Ultimately though, one of those things sometimes you get lucky i.e Baillys block vs Villa & Fulham. Everton hardly had a shot and for 3 to go in is not usual. Yes a better defence and you win, but we have what we have and sometimes need luck to go for you.

Judas

Open to offers
There's one reason they didn't see the game out yesterday. Wan Bissaka failed to play an easy pass in the channel to Cavani.

He gave it away, panic ensued and Everton had one last chance from the free kick. It was a terrible costly mistake.

The saddest part is that it was not in any way a surprise because Wan Bissaka is a really poor player on the ball.
It was piss poor from AWB but we still have to deal with a free kick into our box a million times better than we did. There was nothing special or clever about it, was just a hoof and a hoof is enough to cause pure panic in our defence.

POF

It was piss poor from AWB but we still have to deal with a free kick into our box a million times better than we did. There was nothing special or clever about it, was just a hoof and a hoof is enough to cause pure panic in our defence.
I agree they should defend that better, although the first in line that should have headed the free kick away was Wan Bissaka himself.

But, the key to seeing games out is keeping the ball and don't invite pressure and inviting pressure is exactly what Wan Bissaka did. One simple pass and it was game over.

Nick7

It’s funny. I thought we did a much better job at it last night than we did against Fulham or Burnley, then we fecked it up.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It’s funny. I thought we did a much better job at it last night than we did against Fulham or Burnley, then we fecked it up.
We still kept insisting on giving the ball to them.

Lee565

We definitely have an issue managing games comfortably when we have leads and that does rest on the shoulders of ole and his backroom staff, we are either all out attacking and leaving space for the opposition to easily exploit on the break or we sit back deep and defend in sheer desperation and panic.

Offside

Still a major issue. We do tend to see them out but we’re begging for a late equaliser. United teams of the past always just went for it and killed teams in the second half. Now if we’re up at half time you know it’s going to be a slog second half.

Inability to keep possession, poor decision making on the break and lack of leadership at the back. I wish it wasn’t so stressful :lol:

Abraxas

What were we doing for the last half hour? Seemed to lack all intensity against the ball, gradually sank deeper and deeper, despite the fact we're playing against target men with no pace. Why would you do that? That's exactly what they want.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You're playing Everton at Goodson with a one goal lead.
The idea you can just stoll to the win in that scenario is fanciful. We saw the game out well and scored a deserved third goal.

Kag

The idea you can just stoll to the win in that scenario is fanciful. We saw the game out well and scored a deserved third goal.
Don’t talk sense.

Poor passes in the final third is the reason why we weren’t more than a couple up. Approach was largely fine.

Offside

That’s the third away win we’ve narrowly won having had many opportunities to be more comfortable. Although it’s harsh to be too critical given we won, wanting us to be more comfortable by improving on absolute basics we’re clearly struggling on is hardly fanciful.

DarkXaero

A bit unfair to criticize the the team tonight, considering that one, they did close the game tonight with 3 pts, and second, Everton went full Stoke in the last 10 minutes. That can be difficult to deal with for any team at Goodison.

kaku06

Anyone who thinks he or she is fearless or call yourself brave or even feel they are healthy as feck, I challenge you to watch us in the last 20 minutes. Chances are either you gonna have multiple panic attacks or you may suffer a heart attack so think carefully again.

Vapor trail

It's going to take time for there to be a foundation to finish games from. When the team play better cohesively then there will be more leeway to have stronger results.

croadyman

It's going to take time for there to be a foundation to finish games from. When the team play better cohesively then there will be more leeway to have stronger results.
Yeah closing out these kind of tight games will gradually breed confidence,however hopefully it leads to us getting more than one goal in front.

led_scholes

To be fair we did score a fairly legit goal ten minutes before the whistle, which would have made everything easier.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Think the problem is our team just doesn’t know how to keep possession well when the press is on them. Good possession always starts from the midfield but our midfielders seem to have a problem with it more often than not

Grande

Anyone who thinks he or she is fearless or call yourself brave or even feel they are healthy as feck, I challenge you to watch us in the last 20 minutes. Chances are either you gonna have multiple panic attacks or you may suffer a heart attack so think carefully again.
This is the football fan predicament

norm87cro

We did but the ref wasnt having it yesterday. And offcourse when Ronaldo does his defensive duties heading the ball away better than a short Cb like Martinez ( the guy is good at other stuff and he can contribute at other stuff) and a complete wimp like Lindelof your in for a nervy ending.