Gaming Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Have they changed some of the areas slightly? Also the drop rate of pellets and the magic cross things?

No way did so many drop on launch, and there seems to be the odd extra grapple points added here and there. Unless I'm completely imagining it (which is entirely possible). For example, was that grapple point helping you escape the fat drunk dude always there in Hirato Estate? I really feel like I'd have noticed that before.

I need to go read some patch notes methinks :lol:

caid

Think i just copped who the demon of hatred is :(
Dont really want to kill it anymore now.
I did lots of stuff since last posting. Mostly cheesing the hell out of every boss i could. O'rin of the Water is inexplicably rubbish at dealing with the poison dagger tool. First Corrupted Monk cant be bothered blocking throwing daggers and takes lots and lots of damage from them. The Guardian Apes friend dies pretty quickly, 2 firecrackers will get the job done, then spear cheese still works really well.
If Owl can be cheesed i cant figure it out, i just had to get good to beat him. He was a good boss and not so bad difficulty wise. Didn't outstay his welcome. 2nd Corrupted Monk was a lot less bothered by throwing daggers but smaller health / posture bar meant he was more fun. Beat him pretty quickly but stood out as one of the better bosses despite that.
I hate Schimichen Warriors and never want to fight one, ever again, I think even at the end of the game they were really tough. Started killing Headless after the last one in Fountainhead Palace (please let it be the last one) and they felt easy as hell in comparison. All the ninja bosses 100% deserve to be cheesed, reset the fight multiple times to get stealth opener, abuse the hell out of prosthetic tools, all that stuff. They're dirty buggers and i hate them.
The dragon fight was pretty and easy enough to figure out so as not to be annoying.
I did a quest with the kid from Senpou Temple, killed the big snake and other stuff for some ending, which i haven't got to. Gave the creep in the dungeons the Samurai and finished that quest chain. Sent Kotaro to hang out with the Folding Monkeys and ... got half way through Gourd Lady's quest and missed a step somewhere. Killed the big carp and immediately felt bad, then horrified by the pot noble in Hirata Estate too. Wont be doing that again.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Omg yes I killed him, yesss, die you piece of shite cnut.
Just killed him. He's bloody tough but once I got to grips with getting through the first two (Genchiro and Isshin 1) phases easily I was getting close. Double Inchimonji and Mortal Blade are just lovely.

I'm tempted to start a new game plus immediately but I think I'll give it a break so that I'm not completely in the groove from the get go. Brilliant, brilliant, my favourite FS game.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Just killed him. He's bloody tough but once I got to grips with getting through the first two (Genchiro and Isshin 1) phases easily I was getting close. Double Inchimonji and Mortal Blade are just lovely.

I'm tempted to start a new game plus immediately but I think I'll give it a break so that I'm not completely in the groove from the get go. Brilliant, brilliant, my favourite FS game.
Yeah, this game like no other can make you feel like such a bad ass. Once you get those first 2 face ofnl Isshin down, you feel like the most skilled swordsman in history.

At least until you watch a YouTube vid of a 12 year old beating him without taking damage by only using parry.

Siorac

Dont really want to kill it anymore now.
Do it: he'll thank you (if you unlocked the dialogue) You're doing him a favour.

amolbhatia50k

Do it: he'll thank you (if you unlocked the dialogue) You're doing him a favour.
I couldn't understand why he did that until I spoke to the temple vendor :lol:

caid

Mwah ha ha ha you die Isshin! Die Die Die
So that was excellent. Great boss to finish the game off.

Im pretty sure every game with melee combat i play in the next 10 years is going to feel utterly terrible in comparison. Thought the more vanilla bosses like Isshin, Genichiro, Owl and Lady Butterfly were the strongest of the game, thought it was a bit lacking in them kind of bosses but the last boss left them well covered in the end. I thought there was some imaginative and fun ideas amongst some of the others, the folding screen monkeys being the most obvious but the middle section was a bit weaker in my view. I might have enjoyed the Guardian Ape and a couple others more if i made less use of the prosthetic tools but Guardian Ape in particular felt a bit annoying without them gimmicks.
In terms of difficulty it wasn't too bad in the end. I struggled with Lady Butterfly but fought her a lot earlier than was needed, think she took me more attempts than any other. Last boss was only one who came anywhere close and i probably killed him in about half the attempts. She just kind of teaches you to play, if theres a mechanic you haven't picked up yet shes going to punish it over and over till you do. After that you struggle to pick up the animations for a couple attempts but your just using the same skills she already thought you.
Found the setting a bit weaker than the usual standard of dark souls but thats probably a matter of taste. It was a lot more grounded and i guess i just prefer how weird and fantastical dark souls can be. As far as samurai / ninja games go it was very strong. Enemy designs were very good.
Excellent game 10/10 anyway

Sweet Square

Been playing this over the last week after finishing Bloodborne. I've only got Bloodborne to compare but so far Sekrio is my favourite(Finding it slightly easier).

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Been playing this over the last week after finishing Bloodborne. I've only got Bloodborne to compare but so far Sekrio is my favourite(Finding it slightly easier).
Nice.

Loved Bloodborne, liking Elden Ring but not as much. This seems more Bloodborne than Elden Ring so think it'll be my next play.

Sweet Square

Nice.

Loved Bloodborne, liking Elden Ring but not as much. This seems more Bloodborne than Elden Ring so think it'll be my next play.
Yeah imo it’s very similar to Bloodborne at times due to its structure(There’s an upgrade to make the game even more Bloodborne) although it’s fight pacing is very different due to how the combat works(No more hacking and slashing to finish a boss off) and unlimited stamina.

The combat is the biggest highlight for me as when I get a good flow it feels like a rhythm game. The fights can be over very quickly which is amazing, short burst of really intense fighting. The story is great as well.

I think I’m finding easier mostly because of the
how common the Sculptor's Idols(Bloodborne lamps)are. I’ve never died getting back to a boss.

amolbhatia50k

I've played most of them (not Elden Ring) but Sekiro is still my fabourite. The combat is just lovely. BTW it'll get harder.

Sweet Square

I've played most of them (not Elden Ring) but Sekiro is still my fabourite. The combat is just lovely. BTW it'll get harder.
Just spent the last hour getting killed :lol::(

Tbh I’ve died a million times in the game but I’ve always been close to beating whatever boss I was against. Where as with Bloodborne there was times I really didn’t think I could do it(NG+
Laurence, the First Vicar is the most extreme example)

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
Just spent the last hour getting killed :lol::(

Tbh I’ve died a million times in the game but I’ve always been close to beating whatever boss I was against. Where as with Bloodborne there was times I really didn’t think I could do it(NG+
Laurence, the First Vicar is the most extreme example)
Laurence in NG+ is one of the most fecked up examples. Absolute bastard.

caid

I think Sekiro is probably the hardest of the bloodborne games. Its consistent and well judged in its difficulty though, theres individual bosses in other games which killed me more often. I didn't play the bloodborne dlc and that seems to be where all the harder bosses in that game feature. I did think the difficult of NG+ was drastically higher than previous playthroughs tough.

Sweet Square

Just finished it! Easily one of my favourite games of all times. Loved everything about it.

Also while I did die countless of times, I was finally able to kill the last boss without take a hit.

largelyworried

Just finished it! Easily one of my favourite games of all times. Loved everything about it.

Also while I did die countless of times, I was finally able to kill the last boss without take a hit.

Time for a charmless run!

Amazing game.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Which last boss? There are two depending on which choice you make half way through

Massive Spanner

Decided to give this a whirl now I'm finished Elden Ring.

Jeeesus it's tough. I think I've already died more to some mini bosses than most of the bosses in Elden Ring. But that's a good thing because that game was honestly too easy at times whereas this is more Bloodborne in that even normal encounters can be a total cnut. The combat is different but still has That FS feeling, and feels more like the fast paced aggressive nature of Bloodborne. Parrying is very satisfying but I've yet to in any way master it!

largelyworried

Jeeesus it's tough. I think I've already died more to some mini bosses than most of the bosses in Elden Ring. But that's a good thing because that game was honestly too easy at times whereas this is more Bloodborne in that even normal encounters can be a total cnut. The combat is different but still has That FS feeling, and feels more like the fast paced aggressive nature of Bloodborne. Parrying is very satisfying but I've yet to in any way master it!
Key thing from the moment you start is to parry all the enemies, all the time. Bog standard enemies can be killed by parrying til their poise meter breaks, so you should kill everyone like that. You already know how to wade in with a sword, no need to practice that. When you then reach tougher enemies who need both attacking and parrying, you should start to get your eye in.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

My favourite FS game. Just a masterpiece. Enjoy. And good luck!

Massive Spanner

Beat my first main boss yesterday, the guy on the horse. Tough but manageable.

Honestly it's been some of the mini bosses that have been the worst, like that big fat feck who spews poison at you. Absolute bastard.

This game is waaaay harder than Elden Ring :lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Beat my first main boss yesterday, the guy on the horse. Tough but manageable.

Honestly it's been some of the mini bosses that have been the worst, like that big fat feck who spews poison at you. Absolute bastard.

This game is waaaay harder than Elden Ring :lol:
Only one of these games that I haven't beaten! Got pretty close and just got stuck, and that's that :lol: Not really able to level up in the same way and with no summons, it's just "get good".
I think the biggest drawback to the game though was no customizing. I love that aspect of the souls games where you make your character, pick outfits, pick weapons and there's huge variety. Sekiro was the mastering the combat but no customization.

caid

Only one of these games that I haven't beaten! Got pretty close and just got stuck, and that's that :lol: Not really able to level up in the same way and with no summons, it's just "get good".
I think the biggest drawback to the game though was no customizing. I love that aspect of the souls games where you make your character, pick outfits, pick weapons and there's huge variety. Sekiro was the mastering the combat but no customization.
Most bosses can be cheesed in one way or another, where did you get stuck?

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
So how's this for someone who'd rate Elden Ring a 10/10, Demons/Dark Souls 1 a 9/10, but got bored out by Ghost of Tsushima half way through the game? I really liked the setting of GoT, that wasn't the problem.

caid

So how's this for someone who'd rate Elden Ring a 10/10, Demons/Dark Souls 1 a 9/10, but got bored out by Ghost of Tsushima half way through the game? I really liked the setting of GoT, that wasn't the problem.
10/10. Best melee combat in gaming by a distance, makes everything else feel a bit crap in comparison

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
10/10. Best melee combat in gaming by a distance, makes everything else feel a bit crap in comparison
How's the world? It's more linear like Dark Souls right? What about shortcuts and secrets? Is exploration rewarded?
How's the progression? Level system, skills, can weapons and armor be enhanced and stuff like that?
How's the "not-in-battle-gameplay"?

caid

How's the world? It's more linear like Dark Souls right? What about shortcuts and secrets? Is exploration rewarded?
How's the progression? Level system, skills, can weapons and armor be enhanced and stuff like that?
How's the "not-in-battle-gameplay"?
Pretty linear like Dark Souls. Plenty of shortcuts, optional bosses and secrets, fairly standard stuff. Exploration is as rewarding as previous souls games, theres a jump button and you can grapple up to high places so a bit more verticality than most. Bit more stealth than most, your encouraged to be sneaky. Progression is very limited, you get more health and damage mostly from beating bosses. Theres a bit of leveling but their fairly minor skills in most cases. New prostethic tools like axes and spears can get gotten and leveled. There isn't much room to maneuver, you'll be much the same character by the end of the game as you are at the start really.
The not in battle gameplay usually consists of hiding on a rooftop looking for a good opportunity to gut the next group of enemies, there isn't much not in combat game to be had, some platforming i guess, which isn't too precise or horrible.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Pretty linear like Dark Souls. Plenty of shortcuts, optional bosses and secrets, fairly standard stuff. Exploration is as rewarding as previous souls games, theres a jump button and you can grapple up to high places so a bit more verticality than most. Bit more stealth than most, your encouraged to be sneaky. Progression is very limited, you get more health and damage mostly from beating bosses. Theres a bit of leveling but their fairly minor skills in most cases. New prostethic tools like axes and spears can get gotten and leveled. There isn't much room to maneuver, you'll be much the same character by the end of the game as you are at the start really.
The not in battle gameplay usually consists of hiding on a rooftop looking for a good opportunity to gut the next group of enemies, there isn't much not in combat game to be had, some platforming i guess, which isn't too precise or horrible.
Hmmm those are a bummer :(
I think I'll try Bloodborne after Elden Ring (and after cleaning my pile of shame and finishing Tales of Arise and Disco Elysium).

caid

Hmmm those are a bummer :(
I think I'll try Bloodborne after Elden Ring (and after cleaning my pile of shame and finishing Tales of Arise and Disco Elysium).
In general yes, its for a good cause in this case. It lets them balance the bosses and the combat to such a high standard that it makes it feel like a pretty perfect game. I dont think any from software game has much going on outside of combat either. Sekiro is probably a bit better in that regard than others.
Disco Elysium is great too.

caid

Play Bloodborne before anything else.
Its funny he mentioned that one because i picked up the saw cleaver and pistol at the start of the game and never used anything else. I just started Elden Ring last week but as far as variety of ways to play and build a character it feels pretty far beyond their other games. If there was some kind of From Software scale i think Sekiro and Elden Ring would be on opposite ends. With bloodborne right next to Sekiro and maybe Demons Souls or Dark Souls 3 next to Elden Ring.
Sekiro is much, much, much more focused game. Every boss in it is drastically more interesting than the best boss in Elden Ring (if the 15 odd ones i've fought are any indication). With Sekiro theres one way to play it, you'll pick up a couple more tricks fairly early in the game but they'll be supplementing the stuff you have and need to learn in the first 5 minutes. Theres a story and recognisable characters too, thats a bit of a departure from their other games which are just subtext. Its still weird, still creepy, its still got incredible art design but its different to their 10 variations on Demons Souls.
Maybe its a better one to save till you've played a couple of Dark Souls reskins. Its a refreshing change from them.

bosnian_red

Most bosses can be cheesed in one way or another, where did you get stuck?
Think it was Great Shinobi Owl? Been a long time, I do remember bailing on it fairly quickly as the game was turning into more of a slog than fun IMO. Might give the game another go after Elden ring, but i did reach a point where I said feck it and didn't want to play anymore. Not sure which game I switched to, but I remember there also being another game I wanted to do at the time.
The biggest thing was the lack of reward though. Didn't feel rewarding getting past areas as all you got was some health or a weapon art, but i think i just need the customization which was lacking.

Last edited:

caid

Think it was Great Shinobi Owl? Been a long time, I do remember bailing on it fairly quickly as the game was turning into more of a slog than fun IMO. Might give the game another go after Elden ring, but i did reach a point where I said feck it and didn't want to play anymore. Not sure which game I switched to, but I remember there also being another game I wanted to do at the time.
I'd say hes one of the few that cant really be cheesed. Just need to be ultra aggressive and try and back him into a corner. He really is kind of old and slow, you can bully him a bit. I dont think the last boss can be beaten without getting crazy good at the game so it always catches up to you really.
Theres a younger version of owl who's much harder, cant remember how i beat him but it took ages. Great boss though.

bosnian_red

I'd say hes one of the few that cant really be cheesed. Just need to be ultra aggressive and try and back him into a corner. He really is kind of old and slow, you can bully him a bit. I dont think the last boss can be beaten without getting crazy good at the game so it always catches up to you really.
Theres a younger version of owl who's much harder, cant remember how i beat him but it took ages. Great boss though.
Yeah, the bosses were definitely excellent in this game and the combat very good... But also it is definitely just "hard", and imo wasn't rewarding enough other than personal satisfaction. But I've definitely wanted to get back into since I got my ps5. Probably after Elden ring and horizon as there's nothing special coming off the top of my head until god of war/Hogwarts legacy/botw 2.