Gaming Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Anybody still playing this?

Just purchased it last week. Loved Bloodborne - probably one of my favourite games of all time. I'm liking it so far, but it's very different from Bloodborne and Dark Souls. It's hard to get in the mindset of not immediately dodging when an enemy attacks. You really do need to be much more aggressive and deflect the attacks. Just rewiring my muscle memory at the moment, but really enjoying it so far.

Only fought a couple of bosses/mini bosses but it's good fun

izzydiggler

Just purchased it last week. Loved Bloodborne - probably one of my favourite games of all time. I'm liking it so far, but it's very different from Bloodborne and Dark Souls. It's hard to get in the mindset of not immediately dodging when an enemy attacks. You really do need to be much more aggressive and deflect the attacks. Just rewiring my muscle memory at the moment, but really enjoying it so far.

Hopefully you’ll be able to transition to a new play style - I never managed to fully embrace what it is and found it mostly a chore, especially given some of the (IMO) awful game design.

Wanted to love it but I even enjoyed DS2 more.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Hopefully you’ll be able to transition to a new play style - I never managed to fully embrace what it is and found it mostly a chore, especially given some of the (IMO) awful game design.

Wanted to love it but I even enjoyed DS2 more.
I can see why people would bounce off it. I obviously disagree about the awful game design, but there's aspects that are frustrating that's for sure. Camera being one of them. There again, the camera has always been poor on their games.

But yeah, i'm liking it at the moment. Just got to get used to the combat.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

Loved it on ng+ when I new the tactics to beat the bosses. On first playthrough I had to look up a guide for almost every miniboss and boss which really killed the flow of the game. But once you're able to handle it, it's a great game. One of my favourites.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Loved it on ng+ when I new the tactics to beat the bosses. On first playthrough I had to look up a guide for almost every miniboss and boss which really killed the flow of the game. But once you're able to handle it, it's a great game. One of my favourites.
Funny enough i was thinking this exact thing earlier. About how much better it probably is on a ng +1 run once you got the combat down. I bet it's very satisfying then.

Gehrman

Funny enough i was thinking this exact thing earlier. About how much better it probably is on a ng +1 run once you got the combat down. I bet it's very satisfying then.
I never mastered deflecting/parrying or whatever miazaki is so fond enough promoting in his games these days. Just mastered the dodge and attack strategy. Final boss fight gives me nightmares every time.

Still game of the year for me.

Last edited:

Red_Aaron

I hate to admit it but the final boss did for me, I got tired of trying to beat him and just stopped playing.

I got his patterns down in the end but it's such a long battle I just couldn't be arsed with it

Hoof the ball

What is it with the running animations in Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro? It's that weightless, floaty running that's present in them all. I wish the running was a bit weightier.

Art Vandelay

Have you completed it yet @Art Vandelay ?
Not quite, but I can't be far off. I've played about an hour and a half so almost there.

I like that it reminds me of Ninja Gaiden a bit, but it's also needlessly awkward and obtuse which is annoying. Like it's trying to be harder than it is by being more awkward than it needs to be. It gives you a combat tutorial after you've fought a load of enemies. It tells you which buttons are block and dodge after you fight the first enemies. I've only died so far because it gave no explanation as to what was happening until afterwards. I still dunno what that first boss was about.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Just recently platinumed the game. It wasn't too bad (although the final boss took some killing in New Game ++), but the last trophy was a fecking grind. You had to get all the skill points to max out your abilities. It took forever. Probably the only trophy I didn't enjoy doing.

Siorac

Just recently platinumed the game. It wasn't too bad (although the final boss took some killing in New Game ++), but the last trophy was a fecking grind. You had to get all the skill points to max out your abilities. It took forever. Probably the only trophy I didn't enjoy doing.
Yeah, that one is a grind, and even worse if you fall into the trap of using the mask to spend your money on increasing attack power. Then the grind becomes even worse.

Brilliant game but I hope that if Elden Ring ever comes out, it will mark a return to more variability in gameplay. The Soulsborne games have a lot more replay value simply because of the different builds, weapons, and playing styles that are all viable. As much fun as Sekiro is, it's a very streamlined experience.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Yeah, that one is a grind, and even worse if you fall into the trap of using the mask to spend your money on increasing attack power. Then the grind becomes even worse.

Brilliant game but I hope that if Elden Ring ever comes out, it will mark a return to more variability in gameplay. The Soulsborne games have a lot more replay value simply because of the different builds, weapons, and playing styles that are all viable. As much fun as Sekiro is, it's a very streamlined experience.
Tell me about it!

I didn't learn of this until it was too late. It took soooooo long to get all those skills. Amazing game though.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Not quite, but I can't be far off. I've played about an hour and a half so almost there.

I like that it reminds me of Ninja Gaiden a bit, but it's also needlessly awkward and obtuse which is annoying. Like it's trying to be harder than it is by being more awkward than it needs to be. It gives you a combat tutorial after you've fought a load of enemies. It tells you which buttons are block and dodge after you fight the first enemies. I've only died so far because it gave no explanation as to what was happening until afterwards. I still dunno what that first boss was about.
Completed it yet? I loved the game and my biggest criticism was the AI, which was needlessly dumb at times.

izzydiggler

I've thought about playing it again recently and I don't think I ever really got used to parrying, rather than dodging like in Dark Souls...then I watched a few videos with all the mobs and I remembered why I found the game a very frustrating experience.

Gehrman

I've thought about playing it again recently and I don't think I ever really got used to parrying, rather than dodging like in Dark Souls...then I watched a few videos with all the mobs and I remembered why I found the game a very frustrating experience.
I never learned parrying/deflecting either. Ended up using cheese tactics for most bosses. I never managed to beat Owl(memory) or Demon of Hatred. But have to admit this was on From Software game where I felt Ok about giving up on beating all bosses, they overdid the difficulty imo. Still a amazing game Imo

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
That's the thing, it's not overly hard if you learn the main mechanic. And that mechanic is the easiest of all the series to do and master, maybe minus Bloodborne. It's actually one of the fair number of issues I had with the game, that there's only one play style and if people didn't take to it they were screwed.

Having said that, the prosthetics are pretty much easy mode if people really want to play through and complete it without completely having to master it.

Art Vandelay

Completed it yet? I loved the game and my biggest criticism was the AI, which was needlessly dumb at times.
I didn't really like it, I've had it on the back burner while I played a few other games. Combat mechanics were fine and gameplay was good, but it's habit of not telling you things and being obtuse as possible was getting on my nerves a bit.

Ainu

Late to the party, but I've finally started playing this game since a couple of days ago. I have to say, gameplay-wise this is a ton of fun. For my money the most enjoyable combat system in any From title. I struggled initially but I feel like I'm really starting to get the hang of it. My worries that it would feel too similar too Nioh, which I finished but was completed burnt out on by the end, were completely unfounded, it's much better so far.

But - unfortunately there's a but - it certainly feels less balanced than other From titles, except possibly Dark Souls 2. Several encounters so far feel like, if you don't approach them exactly as intended, they're a brutal struggle. The Juzou the Drunkard fight was just incredibly annoying initially. Having to take out 10+ adds is tedious, can take several minutes of stealth killing, running away, losing aggro on repeat, only for the boss to take you out in a couple of hits when you're still learning the fight. However, if you do all that, get one stealth deathblow on him and then lure him to the NPC in the area, he becomes trivially easy. It doesn't feel like a cheese tactic, it feels by design and I'm not sure I like that type of design. At least the Lady Butterfly boss was a straight shot from an Idol and presented a challenge you had to overcome by actually properly applying the core mechanics of the game. Give me that type of challenge over the tedium of a Juzou any day.

Now I've got some asshole Seven Spears dude to take out, he's already wiped the floor with me a couple of times.

Edit: I'm now fighting against some purple douche down in the starting dungeon and this fight might just have the worst camera I've ever experienced in any video game. :lol: I swear this game has both the best and the absolute worst of From game design.

Last edited:

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I gave up after killing Seven Spears. I found the combat extremely tedious. You had this beautifully designed world and then clang-clang-clang-evade-clang-clang-clang-clang-clang-strike for every boss, big or small, human or demon. It wasn't enjoyable enough for me to git gudenough and the powders and prosthetic seemed like cheesetown. Also my silly criticism of the combat: utterly inauthentic Samurai never did that. Credit for attempting something knew I guess but I'm a Souls traditionalist. Nioh was more up my street but that recycled enemies too often for me to continue into Ng+. I think the Souls gamed spoilt me for variety.

Siorac

I gave up after killing Seven Spears. I found the combat extremely tedious. You had this beautifully designed world and then clang-clang-clang-evade-clang-clang-clang-clang-clang-strike for every boss, big or small, human or demon. It wasn't enjoyable enough for me to git gudenough and the powders and prosthetic seemed like cheesetown. Also my silly criticism of the combat: utterly inauthentic Samurai never did that. Credit for attempting something knew I guess but I'm a Souls traditionalist. Nioh was more up my street but that recycled enemies too often for me to continue into Ng+. I think the Souls gamed spoilt me for variety.
Lack of variety is a weakness of the game admittedly. But I loved the combat (and disliked Nioh's combat). For me, it was very satisfying to get the rhythm down against a difficult opponent, and of course Mikiri countering simply never got old.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I watched a bit of the Marz playthrough after I quit and she was killing it, having a grand old time. My own experience was more like Limmy's:

Ainu

I can't stop playing it. I made it past Seven Spears, the purple ninja in the dungeon, the elite samurai at the top of Ashina Castle and eventually Genichiro as well yesterday. I think I'm just lucky that it clicked so fast, as I've read some real horror stories about people being stuck on him for 5+ hours and over 100 attempts. Being hyper aggressive works!

Bojan11

Sweet,how reliable is 365games ?
Used them a few years ago and they were decent.

Stopped buying discs, so wouldn’t be able to tell you how they are recently. But them, ShopTo, game collection and simply games are the four best online game retailers.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Didn't say anything was wrong with buying any particular game online but I'm not going to pay £60 on the PS store for a game that came out last year (April).
365Games,recommended above,pricing aligns perfectly within my budget.

Ainu

Just beat Owl (Father) - the one in Hirata Estate - and man, this might be the greatest FromSoft boss fight I've experienced yet. It's one of those where you feel completely helpless the first few attempts but by the time you master the fight and beat him, you feel on top of the world. No real tricks to it, not bothering with prosthetics or anything, just a pure fight. It was by no means a perfect fight, no resurrects but I did go through all healing gourds, so there's still room for improvement. It's a fight I'll definitely return to on another run.

evil_geko

Just beat Owl (Father) - the one in Hirata Estate - and man, this might be the greatest FromSoft boss fight I've experienced yet. It's one of those where you feel completely helpless the first few attempts but by the time you master the fight and beat him, you feel on top of the world. No real tricks to it, not bothering with prosthetics or anything, just a pure fight. It was by no means a perfect fight, no resurrects but I did go through all healing gourds, so there's still room for improvement. It's a fight I'll definitely return to on another run.
Many boss fights in Sekiro I would regard of one the best I have played in a video game, not just FromSoft boss fights. There will be some time until a game comes where it's combat is even close as satisfactory as Sekiro's is, a brilliant game.

Ainu

Many boss fights in Sekiro I would regard of one the best I have played in a video game, not just FromSoft boss fights. There will be some time until a game comes where it's combat is even close as satisfactory as Sekiro's is, a brilliant game.
Yeah I think I prefer the combat over any of the Soulsborne games or Nioh. Elden Ring will be a completely different beast and I trust FromSoft to create another brilliant game, but as I'm closing in on the ending in this one, I'd sure love another title with Sekiro's movement and combat. It'll be difficult to enjoy another third-person game with melee combat after this.

Siorac

Yeah I think I prefer the combat over any of the Soulsborne games or Nioh. Elden Ring will be a completely different beast and I trust FromSoft to create another brilliant game, but as I'm closing in on the ending in this one, I'd sure love another title with Sekiro's movement and combat. It'll be difficult to enjoy another third-person game with melee combat after this.
Does that mean you haven't fought the final boss yet?

Because if so, you're in for a treat.

Ainu

Does that mean you haven't fought the final boss yet?

Because if so, you're in for a treat.
You are correct. I'm looking forward to it and dreading it in equal measure. :nervous: If it provides the same thrill as Owl (Father), I'll welcome it.

Gehrman

You are correct. I'm looking forward to it and dreading it in equal measure. :nervous: If it provides the same thrill as Owl (Father), I'll welcome it.
I think it took me 30 attempts to beat the final boss. My whole body was literally shaking from exhaustion when I was done.

Ainu

I think it took me 30 attempts to beat the final boss. My whole body was literally shaking from exhaustion when I was done.
My Soulsborne record is still 45 on Orphan of Kos, I haven't really got close to that in this game yet. It took me 24 to beat Demon of Hatred just now though, that's bad enough. That fight was just a slog, forgetting everything I've learned in Sekiro and reverting back to the Soulsborne mantra "stay on his arse". I'm just going to mop up some areas, make sure I get every limited item for my NG+ run and then it's on to the final boss I guess. I'm still missing three prayer beads, maybe I still have a couple of mini-bosses left but otherwise it might be a long, annoying search.

Gehrman

My Soulsborne record is still 45 on Orphan of Kos, I haven't really got close to that in this game yet. It took me 24 to beat Demon of Hatred just now though, that's bad enough. That fight was just a slog, forgetting everything I've learned in Sekiro and reverting back to the Soulsborne mantra "stay on his arse". I'm just going to mop up some areas, make sure I get every limited item for my NG+ run and then it's on to the final boss I guess. I'm still missing three prayer beads, maybe I still have a couple of mini-bosses left but otherwise it might be a long, annoying search.
I did the suicide cheese on Demon of hatred. I simply couldn't be arsed. Pulling of the cheese requires quite some finesse and skill though, but it's hilarious, he just plunges to his death :lol: :lol:

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I did the suicide cheese on Demon of hatred. I simply couldn't be arsed. Pulling of the cheese requires quite some finesse and skill though, but it's hilarious, he just plunges to his death :lol: :lol:
Yup I did this too and didn’t feel bad about it. Took me nearly an hour to get the jump right and was frustrating as shit.

Ainu

Just did a first attempt on that final boss, holy feck! Made it to the third phase but I haven't got a clue what was going on there. :lol: It's going to take me ages to study that move set.

Edit: ok, maybe not, it's done! :) Those final two phases are insane, just a complete onslaught. I definitely finished that battle before I really mastered it. I'm not sure, but it feels like of all the bosses, this one is the easiest to build up consistent posture damage. Still though, one hell of a fight. I made it to Sword Saint's second phase (third of the entire battle) with all resurrects and healing gourds intact and still had to use 9 heals and a resurrect on just those final phases. Oh well, on to NG+! What a game.

Last edited:

Hamnat

This is my experience with it as well. I bought it as soon as I got my new PC in January and I like the art, the style. But the combat is just UGH. I stopped months ago meaning to pick it up again especially with all the work from home and everything but cant get back into it