Gaming Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

Eriku

I started this just before the weekend. Have made it to the bloke at the top of Ashina castle, been soooo close to getting him today.

Also beat that four-legged goggly-eyed wolverine. Not keen to press on... :nervous:

Eriku

This game is pissing me off. The fecking Guardian ape keeps killing me through:

-Grab attacks that I nailed the timing in dodging
-a slam at the end of a combo, despite me being behind him and several metres clear. Not talking the shaking causing my last few hit points to go, I’m talking a one-hit emptying of my hp.

I want to smash something.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
This game is pissing me off. The fecking Guardian ape keeps killing me through:

-Grab attacks that I nailed the timing in dodging
-a slam at the end of a combo, despite me being behind him and several metres clear. Not talking the shaking causing my last few hit points to go, I’m talking a one-hit emptying of my hp.

I want to smash something.
Yeah, the aimbotting is insanely cheap in this game, worse than DS2.

But that fight is cool, just stay in front and dictate the fight from there. If you stay mid range, you can coax the slams/combos that are avoidable and hit him lots which stuns him.

Hammerfell

I played this for a long time before realising that I wasn’t actually having fun.

Eriku

Yeah, the aimbotting is insanely cheap in this game, worse than DS2.

But that fight is cool, just stay in front and dictate the fight from there. If you stay mid range, you can coax the slams/combos that are avoidable and hit him lots which stuns him.
Finally got the bastard, though afterwards when I went to do upgrades, I realised I’ve been completely neglecting prosthetic upgrades, hah.

Fight was cool, but one slip up in parrying during a combo could feck up the whole thing. At one point I had him down to the laaaaaast fecking hit point, he did that attack where he dives up into the air and then comes down and sweeps his sword, and I rushed in to capitalise too soon, and died :(

It’s over now, though. God damn.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Feel like I'm getting used to the mechanics of this game more now. Enjoying it, was upto some dude on some horse who kept twatting me so I left him for a bit and did some exploring. Came across a headless thing which obliterated me so guessing that's a fight for later on.

The camera is awful in some battles, though.

Redlambs

Finally got the bastard, though afterwards when I went to do upgrades, I realised I’ve been completely neglecting prosthetic upgrades, hah.

Fight was cool, but one slip up in parrying during a combo could feck up the whole thing. At one point I had him down to the laaaaaast fecking hit point, he did that attack where he dives up into the air and then comes down and sweeps his sword, and I rushed in to capitalise too soon, and died :(

It’s over now, though. God damn.
Nice.

The prosthetics are basically easy mode though, do yourself a favour and go easy on them unless you are really stuck or just want to power through the game to get it done ;)

Eriku

Nice.

The prosthetics are basically easy mode though, do yourself a favour and go easy on them unless you are really stuck or just want to power through the game to get it done ;)
I don’t use them a ton, so I’m good on that point.

Have made it past them screen monkeys now :) just in time to run off and find a place to watch the match!

Redlambs

Any tips for beating Genichiro Ashina? The guys a twat.
The horse guy?

Stay close and hunt him down. When he runs away, run straight after and use the grapple to close the gap. His 3-hit combo and big strikes are very easy to parry, and if you are really stuck, firecrackers are OP on him.

Basically be aggressive and parry his attacks, he's much easier than you think. Especially if you've already beat LB.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
The horse guy?

Stay close and hunt him down. When he runs away, run straight after and use the grapple to close the gap. His 3-hit combo and big strikes are very easy to parry, and if you are really stuck, firecrackers are OP on him.

Basically be aggressive and parry his attacks, he's much easier than you think. Especially if you've already beat LB.
Nah I beat the horse guy, Ashina is the one at the top of the Castle. The guy who originally chopped off your hand/arm.

Redlambs

Nah I beat the horse guy, Ashina is the one at the top of the Castle. The guy who originally chopped off your hand/arm.
Ah, pretty much the same tbh. You need to stay on him and pressure. His attacks are surprisingly easy to parry, and when you need to heal get away, pop the heal, then instantly dodge to the side to avoid the arrow.

But mostly, you don't even need to actually damage him, you can pressure attack/parry him to breaking quite quickly. That works in all phases.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Ah, pretty much the same tbh. You need to stay on him and pressure. His attacks are surprisingly easy to parry, and when you need to heal get away, pop the heal, then instantly dodge to the side to avoid the arrow.

But mostly, you don't even need to actually damage him, you can pressure attack/parry him to breaking quite quickly. That works in all phases.
Thanks, I'll have another go later!

Kapardin

Playing Dark Souls for the first time at the moment and absolutely loving it. Planning to work my way through the Soulsborne games and get to this by next year max. The trailer looked really good.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Thought I'd beat Genichiro but then he turned into some lightning God and I got twatted :(
That phase is easier. Whenever he does the lightning strike, jump in the air and release it by attacking before landing.

He has less stamina and vitality, and his moves aren't different apart from that lightning thing that is countered. You've gotten there now, just do him until you get comfortable. :)

Eriku

Guardian Ape fight was good fun. No other game gives you such a sense of satisfaction after beating a boss :lol:
It’s only good fun AFTER a lot of cursing and dying, I find.

God damn was it ever satisfying to parry those huge overhead swings of his, though.

Redlambs

Even though I'm really enjoying this game, the AI can be stupidly dumb sometime. Well, most of the time actually.
The A.I is dogshit. The game literally is built on the DS2 engine it seems, it cheapens the whole experience really. It's also way more formulaic to learn and win than any of the others.

That being said, it's still way better than a lot of games that we've had recently and the setting is gorgeous, so it's still a great game. Just maybe not the level of previous efforts from them.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
The A.I is dogshit. The game literally is built on the DS2 engine it seems, it cheapens the whole experience really. It's also way more formulaic to learn and win than any of the others.

That being said, it's still way better than a lot of games that we've had recently and the setting is gorgeous, so it's still a great game. Just maybe not the level of previous efforts from them.
It's a modified version of the DS3 engine. :p

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Yeah it's very poor. Reminds me of Metal Gear Solid with silly pre-set patrols and staring into walls for no apparent reason. You'd have thought they'd have put a bit more effort into something which is clearly below the standards of the rest of the game.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Beat him, had so little health left near the end I was just running circles round him waiting for him to do his jump attack then stabbing him in the back:lol:

Got a few trophies left to pick up so I'll have another playthrough then move onto Dark Souls.