Gaming Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

izzydiggler

Damn, dirty Guardian Ape. Did his first form first try but it was only through using all the gourds I had and had no rhythm. Thing moves so fast and hits hard...then poisoned me whilst near it’s arse?!? The whole posture mechanic on bosses, where you have to take down their health first (twice) is making the tough boss battles a chore. Ready for the end of it.

I’ve done everything else in the game pretty much, so it’s a blocker until I do it.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Damn, dirty Guardian Ape. Did his first form first try but it was only through using all the gourds I had and had no rhythm. Thing moves so fast and hits hard...then poisoned me whilst near it’s arse?!? The whole posture mechanic on bosses, where you have to take down their health first (twice) is making the tough boss battles a chore. Ready for the end of it.

I’ve done everything else in the game pretty much, so it’s a blocker until I do it.
Yeah, the second phase isn't really one you can play properly against, which again enforces my whole point about the bad side of the game being it's supposed to be so combat lead and that's why it's bare bones in the rpg stakes, yet you continually are forced to do anything other than fight like you are supposed to and have to resort to the same old soulsborne style of just going round the back :lol:

BTW for the PC players in here, I couldn't recommend the framerate mod more, it doesn't solve the shit engine problems with button press detection (I mean seriously, how has no review mentioned it???), but it helps. Also, there are some cracking graphics mods out, including a cool cyberpunk style makeover for wolf.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Yeah, the second phase isn't really one you can play properly against, which again enforces my whole point about the bad side of the game being it's supposed to be so combat lead and that's why it's bare bones in the rpg stakes, yet you continually are forced to do anything other than fight like you are supposed to and have to resort to the same old soulsborne style of just going round the back :lol:

BTW for the PC players in here, I couldn't recommend the framerate mod more, it doesn't solve the shit engine problems with button press detection (I mean seriously, how has no review mentioned it???), but it helps. Also, there are some cracking graphics mods out, including a cool cyberpunk style makeover for wolf.
Link to the mod? What for does og lock it og?
Might want it for replays. :p

Have you done all bosses and minis?

Redlambs

Link to the mod?
Check Nexus brother. I haven't done the newer one that unlocks fov too (it looked like too much effort in my current state), but the fps one works a treat. I assume you are running on a 144hz monitor at least? Trust me, run the 144fps mod, it's sublime :drool:

What for does og lock it og?
Yeah I've been drinking whiskey, either my eyes don't work or your keyboard doesn't! Just took out both mini-bosses (with no tricks, or stealth death blows) by the reservoir though, so I still am not totally useless right now ;)

Might want it for replays. :p
Link them when you do!

Have you done all bosses and minis?
I've done most, but I also have restarted. I'd like to say it was purely because I once again reworked my buttons and want to perfect the steam controller, but it was also partly because I have gaming OCD and wanted to go through again with those new controls. I can't help it :(

On replay though, It's kind of sad the only thing I've found I missed so far was giving the merchant the salt clue. I was sure I missed loads of stuff, but perhaps I still have.

izzydiggler

It’s exactly that. Just had a quick go...fight starts and it pounces at me but I masterfully deflect first 7 hits. Was really pleased with myself but it barely touched the posture meter and with 2 seconds I was in the same position as had I just ran away from it.

I think they just didn’t have enough courage to embrace the posture mechanic fully and thought players would complain if you could take out a gigantic headless ape with deflecting attacks without attacking. I wouldn’t say it completely ruins the game but the boss battles were the highlight of Soulsborne...here it’s almost the opposite on this bar a few great ones. It’s genuinely a massive chore and rather than relishing them, I’m almost dreading them.

Fixing that and removing the mobs would make the game far, far better.

Redlambs

It’s exactly that. Just had a quick go...fight starts and it pounces at me but I masterfully deflect first 7 hits. Was really pleased with myself but it barely touched the posture meter and with 2 seconds I was in the same position as had I just ran away from it.

I think they just didn’t have enough courage to embrace the posture mechanic fully and thought players would complain if you could take out a gigantic headless ape with deflecting attacks without attacking. I wouldn’t say it completely ruins the game but the boss battles were the highlight of Soulsborne...here it’s almost the opposite on this bar a few great ones. It’s genuinely a massive chore and rather than relishing them, I’m almost dreading them.

Fixing that and removing the mobs would make the game far, far better.
Worse, they still include little deliberate cheese items via the fighting method to account for the shiteness. For example, deflect the middle attacks on the ape combos and it forces him to do his big slam which you can deflect then smack him hard. It's every time. It's deliberate.

I agree, you said it better than I have so far, it's like they didn't have full faith in the fighting system so they also hedged their bets. And in doing so, it's that part of the game that's lacking. Also, and I really can't stress this enough, how the feck have they been given the leeway to have the same exact fecking engine as DS1! Surely people aren't that stupid that they just accept shiny new texture handling as a thing? Like some kind of HD update???

Oh..wait...

izzydiggler

I’ve almost bought the DS remaster in several occasions but I’ve resisted so far.

Got past his first form 3/5 times but the second phase I’ve never got close to doing. Then I got 3 Dragonrot essences from 1 death and no resurrection. Another mechanic I (and seemingly all reviewers and forums) have no idea how it works.

Redlambs

I’ve almost bought the DS remaster in several occasions but I’ve resisted so far.

Got past his first form 3/5 times but the second phase I’ve never got close to doing. Then I got 3 Dragonrot essences from 1 death and no resurrection. Another mechanic I (and seemingly all reviewers and forums) have no idea how it works.
That's because it doesn't. It should punish you for cheating death, instead it just is. Stupid.

But to beat the monkey, follow what I said. Make him do the move you want, then capitalise on it...or just do a BB and run around the back and cheese. It's actually quite sad that they give you an arena that should take advantage of the grappling hook, but then tie it to the camera (like with the fps, collision, and all that stupid amateur shit) so you can't actually free swing. Surprising the reviews don't mention that either, since they largely rate this on the same level as Spiderman which did it the right way and tied it to the model.

And the DS remaster, no. If you are on PC you've already played waaaaay better, if on console, then just know it's the same shit engine with a few minor texture updates. The whole thing is a fecking joke...I still bought it on switch though, I'm, not a sucker like that, just sad :lol:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Check Nexus brother. I haven't done the newer one that unlocks fov too (it looked like too much effort in my current state), but the fps one works a treat. I assume you are running on a 144hz monitor at least? Trust me, run the 144fps mod, it's sublime :drool:

Yeah I've been drinking whiskey, either my eyes don't work or your keyboard doesn't! Just took out both mini-bosses (with no tricks, or stealth death blows) by the reservoir though, so I still am not totally useless right now ;)

Link them when you do!

I've done most, but I also have restarted. I'd like to say it was purely because I once again reworked my buttons and want to perfect the steam controller, but it was also partly because I have gaming OCD and wanted to go through again with those new controls. I can't help it :(

On replay though, It's kind of sad the only thing I've found I missed so far was giving the merchant the salt clue. I was sure I missed loads of stuff, but perhaps I still have.
Was and still is writing on my phone. Just grabbed morphine on top of that. So I'll check and respond when I'm at the pc later on. Not sure if I can deduce what I wanted to say. :lol:

Redlambs

Was and still is writing on my phone. Just grabbed morphine on top of that. So I'll check and respond when I'm at the pc later on. Not sure if I can deduce what I wanted to say. :lol:
I feel you brother, at least you have a valid excuse!

Most of mine is just gibberish nonsense, and it's either whiskey or I just plain suck at getting points across in text :lol:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I feel you brother, at least you have a valid excuse!

Most of mine is just gibberish nonsense, and it's either whiskey or I just plain suck at getting points across in text :lol:
Oh I suck at explaining myself as well, especially on complex issues!

I have never been drunk, but surely enough whiskey is a decent excuse? :p

izzydiggler

That's because it doesn't. It should punish you for cheating death, instead it just is. Stupid.

But to beat the monkey, follow what I said. Make him do the move you want, then capitalise on it...or just do a BB and run around the back and cheese. It's actually quite sad that they give you an arena that should take advantage of the grappling hook, but then tie it to the camera (like with the fps, collision, and all that stupid amateur shit) so you can't actually free swing. Surprising the reviews don't mention that either, since they largely rate this on the same level as Spiderman which did it the right way and tied it to the model.

And the DS remaster, no. If you are on PC you've already played waaaaay better, if on console, then just know it's the same shit engine with a few minor texture updates. The whole thing is a fecking joke...I still bought it on switch though, I'm, not a sucker like that, just sad :lol:
Cheers for the tip! Won’t be able to play for a few days and it’ll eat me inside that I need to do it.

And I’m playing on the PS4...I also have a PC, Xbox One and Switch, that I was also tempted with getting it on so I could play on the commute. Although the thought of being the subject of a ‘man loses it on tube’ viral video has stopped me.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout

Link them when you do!

I think I meant to ask what framerate it gets locked on with the mod, but seeing as you talked about using a 144hz monitor it seems like it's not really limited.
Currently I have 2 cheap 144hz, 1080p monitors. Will upgrade when the Thronos becomes available in Norway. :drool:

I'm almost done, had our wedding, honeymoon trip to Rome and just now started to feel able to play again. Honestly, I'm looking forward to my second (not ng+) and third (ng+) playthroughs, but I don't think I'll enjoy a 4th due to thinking that by then I'll have most things in my fingers like with bloodborne and ds3.

By the way, you note down the enemy placement as ds2-like, but the game is at least not as bad as ds3 on the gank-squads! :lol:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout

Bit off-topic, but can't resist!
The DS remaster also includes the DSfix, doesn't it? Not that people can't install that by themselves, but some won't feel comfortable with doing that and if they then don't have DS already then DS Remastered would be the by far superior version. :p

Redlambs

I think I meant to ask what framerate it gets locked on with the mod, but seeing as you talked about using a 144hz monitor it seems like it's not really limited.
Currently I have 2 cheap 144hz, 1080p monitors. Will upgrade when the Thronos becomes available in Norway. :drool:

I'm almost done, had our wedding, honeymoon trip to Rome and just now started to feel able to play again. Honestly, I'm looking forward to my second (not ng+) and third (ng+) playthroughs, but I don't think I'll enjoy a 4th due to thinking that by then I'll have most things in my fingers like with bloodborne and ds3.

By the way, you note down the enemy placement as ds2-like, but the game is at least not as bad as ds3 on the gank-squads! :lol:
A 144hz monitor running a game at 144fps is way better than anything before it, you'll notice the difference. In fact as long as it's a freesync monitor (which I'm not sure any 144hz ones don't do), you'll see the boost.

Bit off-topic, but can't resist!
The DS remaster also includes the DSfix, doesn't it? Not that people can't install that by themselves, but some won't feel comfortable with doing that and if they then don't have DS already then DS Remastered would be the by far superior version. :p
No, no it doesn't. I mean it does the framerate trick, but doesn't sort the control issue or any of the other bugs dsfix actually did behind the scenes. And even if they did fix them, why are the same issues still present in Sekiro?

Also, there are way better mods for all those games to update the gfx than any cheap "remaster" shite they will do. A true remaster would actually do just that, remaster. What this one does is run at a slightly higher res with a solid 60fps and some updated textures and the occasional lighting tweak. None of that comes close to what DSfix & a few mods already did. It's good for console gamers who have never played it, but nothing else.

Woodzy

True Corrupted Monk one my most satisfying boss kills so far.

Loved this game aside from minor grievances. Camera definitely the worst of the bunch.

Going to move on to another Souls game after this, never finished 3 and barely scratched the surface with 1! It’s likely I’ll give Nioh a go though as I’ve never played that either.

I just love the formula of these games and it hooks more me than a decent storyline could. It’s probably why I love Hollow Knight so much too.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I'm just no good, after killing first 2 bosses I and blazing bull can't seem to progress vs any other boss.

izzydiggler

True Corrupted Monk one my most satisfying boss kills so far.

Loved this game aside from minor grievances. Camera definitely the worst of the bunch.

Going to move on to another Souls game after this, never finished 3 and barely scratched the surface with 1! It’s likely I’ll give Nioh a go though as I’ve never played that either.

I just love the formula of these games and it hooks more me than a decent storyline could. It’s probably why I love Hollow Knight so much too.
I really enjoyed Nioh but I recall it being much more Dark Souls than Sekiro, despite the setting similarity. Basically blocking and dodging, rather than deflecting.

There’s definitely something about these games though - I’m not sure whether it’s a personality thing but as an obsessive compulsive, they just take hold of me until I finish them. Done all the Souls series, Bloodborne, Nioh, Demon’s Souls and despite my moans about them and their imperfections, I can’t not finish them.

If anyone has a PS+ subscription, The Surge is ‘free’ this month and is a decent Souls clone.

izzydiggler

I'm just no good, after killing first 2 bosses I and blazing bull can't seem to progress vs any other boss.
Not sure if you’ve played Dark Souls etc but I really struggled early game cause of the difference.

Which bosses have you done? I really struggled early game given my experience of Dark Souls and trying to play that way. Problem is, as a few of us have complained about, I would say learning to deflect will really help you but a lot of boss battle require dodging and attacking vulnerable bosses to take down their health, which is in opposition to how the game teaches you to play. It’s a hard game but if you’ve made it past the Blazing Bull, I think you’ll be OK, given practice and patience.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
If you've played the other soulsborne games then you need to change your playstyle.
No more dodging, unless you need to heal or double-jump on the enemies sweeping attacks. Block, parry & Mikiri counter is where you do combat.

Also, firecrackers is generally good vs all enemies you are likely to struggle against.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Not sure if you’ve played Dark Souls etc but I really struggled early game cause of the difference.

Which bosses have you done? I really struggled early game given my experience of Dark Souls and trying to play that way. Problem is, as a few of us have complained about, I would say learning to deflect will really help you but a lot of boss battle require dodging and attacking vulnerable bosses to take down their health, which is in opposition to how the game teaches you to play. It’s a hard game but if you’ve made it past the Blazing Bull, I think you’ll be OK, given practice and patience.
I've done the Guy on the horse and Lady Bug, all mini bosses in those areas except the headless boss, and the blazing bull from next area, can't seem to be able to defeat the Castle's general, the ninja with the longsword, and the seven spears guy.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
If you've played the other soulsborne games then you need to change your playstyle.
No more dodging, unless you need to heal or double-jump on the enemies sweeping attacks. Block, parry & Mikiri counter is where you do combat.

Also, firecrackers is generally good vs all enemies you are likely to struggle against.
I've completed both Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne, I found Bloodborne to be the easiest of the three, the combat in it was just so fluid.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I've completed both Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne, I found Bloodborne to be the easiest of the three, the combat in it was just so fluid.
I think I've ended up thinking all of the games are about equal in difficulty once you grasp the basics of their systems.
DS2's hit-detection/hit-boxes or whatever it was on the early troll made me use a caster for the first time (with a single-handed sword against all bosses), but otherwise it's just been a case of adapting to the new "rules of combat".

Sekiro I think has been the best at actually teaching you its combat. The others just throw you into it. If they had fixed the camera, sorted a few enemies, their moves and locations out, then it would have become my absolute favorite within the genre, assuming we can class soulsborne-likes as a genre.

The following is of course my personal ratings.
Quality wise:
1. Bloodborne
2. Dark Souls 1
3. Nioh

Enjoyment wise:
1. Nioh
2. Sekiro
3. Bloodborne

I love the Feudal Japan setting. Samurais have always been a huge fascination for me. But I genuinely loved Niohs gameplay and looting.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Barely beat Genishiro first phase just to find out theres a second phase and I'm all out of health, feck this game seriously.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
After getting used to it, it became one of the best fights in any vide game I've ever played, so happy to be done with the asshole.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I even finished all mini bosses in the area training for him, something suddenly clicked for me. :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Still havent beating Owl. I can get to his second phase now, but beh, one mistake and yer fecked.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Woo beat lady butterfly. Way behind the rest of you of course :lol: Finding this way harder than any of the souls games or bloodborne. Really fast paced and I lack the composure when reading their moves to react properly!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Just defeated Father Owl(2nd encounter) proudest gaming achievement ever.
Geez, you're really good, I've been stuck on Owl for days. I've sort of even given up. Is there 2 encounters of him? And if so, is the first the one where
you fought Genechiro before?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Geez, you're really good, I've been stuck on Owl for days. I've sort of even given up. Is there 2 encounters of him? And if so, is the first the one where
Yes and yes.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Yes and yes, 2nd encounter took me 6-7 hours bro, I'm not that good. :lol: