Selling Daley Blind

Champagne Football

Blind was signed as a defensive deep lying playmaker. What does he have to do with Van Dijk.

Not a single club went for Van Dijk - he moved and then got bought by a great manager.
Van Gaal tried him once in that position before realizing he couldn't live with the pace of Premier league midfielders there. It's very clear that Van Gaal bought players who were able to play a number of positions so you're arguement is not correct at all. He was bought with a view to playing a number of roles.

Aloysius's Back 3

Hindsight is a great thing, Blind was a fine player but would hardly change our current situation. Too slow for the premier league, you can name off deadwood fc who should be gone, that's easy.
The point is, we are not in this mess because of Daley fecking Blind. The problems run way deeper, creating a reactionary thread after a terrible defeat ain't going to change the mess.
What makes you think we are arguing that selling Daley Blind is THE ONE & Only mistake?

All it is is one of many mistakes that has happened & it was one that was obvious to many of us the moment Jose got hired to take over LVG - two different ideologies & two different type of players.

Selling Blind was a mistake and has nothing on hindsight.

Aloysius's Back 3

Van Gaal tried him once in that position before realizing he couldn't live with the pace of Premier league midfielders there. It's very clear that Van Gaal bought players who were able to play a number of positions so you're arguement is not correct at all. He was bought with a view to playing a number of roles.
So we went for Blind to play instead of Van Dijk even though blind was bought to play multiple roles? Blind was adapting to the CB role when he got the chance.

Again - no one signed Van Dijk from Southampton. Blind being bought as a block to van Dijk is wrong.

redshaw

He's played 50 games for them and looks fitter than he did here.

We let go of Evra and Blind who went on to play in CL semi's and finals and win league titles while we still have Ashley fecking Young.

We have one good fullback in Shaw and a young lad called Dalot with the second highest wage bill in world football and it's worth repeating we still have Ashley Young and he's our captain.

The management of the club is rotten.

Bojan11

Yeah keeping Blind means Lingard, Rashford and Martial all turn into world class goal scorers. Our issue is scoring, when you can’t score then your defence is under more pressure and the other team can push up knowing your attackers are useless.

AndyJ1985

We've made too many mistakes to list. Selling him and keeping trash like Jones and Rojo is just another of them

Look-a-Hill

He'd be an upgrade for about four positions in our current team. And even if he isn't I'd rather Blind was in the side being crap because at least I could look at his beautiful, beautiful face.

Canagel

Thanks for the special one.
where physicality and height is favored over technical brilliance and craft. It's our problem for hiring 2 managers on completty different ends of the spectrum philosophy wise.

Morpheus 7

What makes you think we are arguing that selling Daley Blind is THE ONE & Only mistake?

All it is is one of many mistakes that has happened & it was one that was obvious to many of us the moment Jose got hired to take over LVG - two different ideologies & two different type of players.

Selling Blind was a mistake and has nothing on hindsight.
I'm saying that he would have hardly changed the mess we are in. We have made tonnes of mistakes and Daley Blind is far down the huge list, post fergie era.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
After sitting on the bench for a season and often not even in the squad? No surprise really.
Well there was clearly more that met the eye with his absence from the squad as he wasn't even playing under 23's football

Josep Dowling

He's played 50 games for them and looks fitter than he did here.

We let go of Evra and Blind who went on to play in CL semi's and finals and win league titles while we still have Ashley fecking Young.

We have one good fullback in Shaw and a young lad called Dalot with the second highest wage bill in world football and it's worth repeating we still have Ashley Young and he's our captain.

The management of the club is rotten.
Bang on and that’s my point. We had a situation where Juventus were in the latter stages of the Champions League with Evra, Tevez and Pogba whilst we were finishing 7th in the league.

dogwithabone

Never wanted him to go.
Show us a post where you said that at the time and your post, like a lot of others, will have some validity and credibility. Otherwise it’s just a load of hindsight nonsense.

Aloysius's Back 3

Show us a post where you said that at the time and your post, like a lot of others, will have some validity and credibility. Otherwise it’s just a load of hindsight nonsense.
I said this in August 2018

'Exactly - what an absolute ridiculous guy to sell. Absolutely sold Blind for no reason without even giving him a chance to play as a CB. Just not good enough purely because its not the Jose way the same way that rash Ford & martial are not strikers for him either.'

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I didn't disagree with selling Blind and i think its very convenient and slightly dishonest to call it out now.

He had a lot more flaws than just pace. He was physically bullied at centre back, too slow on the ball and poor at reading the game. Always charging in for the ball or a tackle when he had no hope of getting there. He cost us goals time and again by doing this. In midfield he would also lose the ball far too often.

Ultimately Jose seemed to like his attitude but couldn't find a place in the team where he didn't cause us problems. He had some god awful games at fullback in his last season. He was a Van Gaal signing, but it took LVG a year to even decide what position to play him, and when he did he was a make shift centre back in a horribly underperforming side.

He's clearly found a team he fits more comfortably into and is doing well for, but that doesn't change his situation at United. He was here for over 3 years and given more than enough a chance.

Keeping certain other players is another matter. We seem to accept less standards from some players than others which is just a symbol of how poorly the club has been run over recent years.

Aloysius's Back 3

I didn't disagree with selling Blind and i think its very convenient and slightly dishonest to call it out now.

He had a lot more flaws than just pace. He was physically bullied at centre back, too slow on the ball and poor at reading the game. Always charging in for the ball or a tackle when he had no hope of getting there. He cost us goals time and again by doing this. In midfield he would also lose the ball far too often.

Ultimately Jose seemed to like his attitude but couldn't find a place in the team where he didn't cause us problems. He had some god awful games at fullback in his last season. He was a Van Gaal signing, but it took LVG a year to even decide what position to play him, and when he did he was a make shift centre back in a horribly underperforming side.

He's clearly found a team he fits more comfortably into and is doing well for, but that doesn't change his situation at United. He was here for over 3 years and given more than enough a chance.

Keeping certain other players is another matter. We seem to accept less standards from some players than others which is just a symbol of how poorly the club has been run over recent years.
Just because you didn't see it doesn't make you right.

Plenty of us saw his quality and were really disappointed to see him go.

Again - if you didn't see the quality in Daley Blind at United - you are hardly going to make a noise now; so I say to just leave it.

He was a quality player for alot of us.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands

edcunited1878

Selling Blind wasn't good business because he's a good footballer. But let's be real, whether or not Blind being at United wouldn't make a huge difference. It's not as if building out from the back makes this gigantic difference of 15+ points in the league and conceding a shitload of goals.

Not sure what the point of this thread is because Blind is a by product of Ajax's team success. They have good continuity with good technical players on the same wave length and bought players who could make them better like Tadic and Blind. If you put Pogba into that Ajax team, they aren't the same team, they are worse.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Add to the list:
Blind
Rafael
Nani
Zaha
Kagawa
Chicharito

All these players are STILL better than most of our squad.

el3mel

If Ajax had lost to Juventus tonight then i don't think this thread would have appeared...
Basically this.

Any player we sold and will sell in the future of the squad was the right decision. All players sold by LVG and Mourinho were right. They just didn't sell more!

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It all comes back to the way we've appointed managers post Ferguson. It made sense for Jose to sell Blind because he's not his type of player; but when we sacked him and hired Ole within the same year Blind becomes a poor sale because he'd have been useful.
Basically, as many have said, the club needs its identity back, until that happens we'll always sign players that don't work and sell players who go on to better things once we do.

NoPace

If we had a more settled team in general, Blind would still be here as the 2nd choice LCB and 2nd choice DM and 3rd choice LB and a starter when we go 3 at the a back. Instead we're a shambles.

fallengt

He wanted to leave. Blind had self-respect, I give him that.
The likes of Young, Rojo, Damian, Jones just happy to sit on their contract. They know we're the only club that reward mediocrity.

haram

Crying about selling Blind meanwhile City are signing actual quality defenders like Laporte. Some of you will never learn.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Stupid to sell such a versatile player. Wouldn't have made much difference in the grand scheme though.

arthurka

Tbf I think he wanted to leave
Could you blame him after the Mourinho treatment? Yeah lets keep picking Rojo,Jones and Young but leave out the only defender we had to play football. This club has no clue whats what.. Glazers piggy bank run by yes mr money man.

RedIke

I loved Blind. But I'm not gonna lie and say I killed the club or him when he got sold. Bummer how it all worked out. There's no guarantee had he stayed he'd ever reach the form he's in now.

I know this is compounded since Young is still playing. But for me the point remains, gotta move on and get better.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Failure wasn't selling Blind, it was buying in Bailly and Lindelof who so far haven't progressed as much as we'd have hoped. It's all down to player recruitment.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
If he hadn't already been here, most of the people on this website would be calling for us to buy Daley Blind. But that's what you get around here. People who make snap judgments and who always think the grass is greener everywhere else

RedDevil@84

Failure wasn't selling Blind, it was buying in Bailly and Lindelof who so far haven't progressed as much as we'd have hoped. It's all down to player recruitment.
And improved contracts for Smalling and Jones is just icing on the cake.

The Nani

I seriously doubt this thread would exist if Blind didn’t have de Ligt playing next to him and de Jong in front of him.

The PL is a different animal. Decent player but never had the athleticism to make it here.

Wasn’t bothered when he left and wouldn’t want him back here.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He had sexy hair and could play out from the back

haram

Why didn't Jose buy Laporte when he was here? And City will have made use of Blind since their phislophies compared with Ajax is similar. Only Jose wanted to turn a ball playing CB into a hoofing merchant because of his dislike for 'first station' passing. It was the wrong fit.
Firstly even City found it difficult to sign Laporte at first. Secondly, Pep would have replaced Blind with a 50 million defender. Thirdly, we do not have unlimited funds and Laporte was expensive. Laporte cost almost 60 million, close to what we paid for Lindelof and Bailly combined. On top of that we couldn't even sign a CB this summer when Jose asked for one.

This forum really is reaching deluded levels if they think the problem was selling Blind. Open your damn eyes and realise we need better than that anyway. Then people wonder why we are where we are.

Aloysius's Back 3

Firstly even City found it difficult to sign Laporte at first. Secondly, Pep would have replaced Blind with a 50 million defender. Thirdly, we do not have unlimited funds and Laporte was expensive. Laporte cost almost 60 million, close to what we paid for Lindelof and Bailly combined. On top of that we couldn't even sign a CB this summer when Jose asked for one.

This forum really is reaching deluded levels if they think the problem was selling Blind. Open your damn eyes and realise we need better than that anyway. Then people wonder why we are where we are.
Oh dear does this show on the pitch.

Lindelof is a ball playing CB apparently according to you :lol:

And you think selling Blind wasn't a mistake. No one in their right mind would say Blind was the cause of our downfall - he wasn't that important to us; but selling him and replacing him with Bailly/Lindelof whilst keeping the other dross like Young and Rojo shows how bad this club is run.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Mistake.

Mourinho didn't care for players who weren't athletic. It's not that technical ability wasn't a priority for him, but being a defender who wasnt physically gifted was probably an issue.

I always liked Blind. I'd prefer him at LB over Young/Rojo. I'd prefer him at CB to Jones. And he'd be useful as a DM. We simply don't have the luxury of having so many technically gifted players to lose someone like Blind even if he himself was never top class. But why wouldn't you want him as an option to build from the back? It's fecking bizarre. As a 3rd/4th CB he'd be brilliant. On form, even first choice given how good Bailly and co have been for us. Daft decision.

haram

Oh dear does this show on the pitch.

Lindelof is a ball playing CB apparently according to you :lol:

And you think selling Blind wasn't a mistake. No one in their right mind would say Blind was the cause of our downfall - he wasn't that important to us; but selling him and replacing him with Bailly/Lindelof whilst keeping the other dross like Young and Rojo shows how bad this club is run.
The mistake was not signing a top CB on top of signing Lindelof. Not selling Daley fecking Blind.

Aloysius's Back 3

The mistake was not signing a top CB on top of signing Lindelof. Not selling Daley fecking Blind.
Well it's looking like a mistake because even if we sign another LCB that equates to just one in that position & Blind was more than good enough to be the second in that position.

Don't even get me started on how overrated Lindelof is - every time a cross goes in his hands go behind his back whilst wobbling back in to space :lol:

haram

Well it's looking like a mistake because even if we sign another LCB that equates to just one in that position & Blind was more than good enough to be the second in that position.

Don't even get me started on how overrated Lindelof is - every time a cross goes in his hands go behind his back whilst wobbling back in to space :lol:
Yeah in a thread where we mourn the loss of Daley Blind, Lindelof is the overrated one.

thejtrain

Was a fan of his game, totally loved him and still do, but we were right in selling him. In a team as static as ours, he will probably come out looking worse, and he would just have been another easy spacegoat. Yep, spacegoat.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Nah it was right selling him. He looked average here to be honest. But it’s good seeing him do so well for Ajax.