Selling Lukaku...

izec

What happened between him and Pogba? They were buddies when he arrived, and then clearly didnt like each other at some point.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
What happened between him and Pogba? They were buddies when he arrived, and then clearly didnt like each other at some point.
Werent close after Pogba/Mourinho fell out so might well be as a result of that. Lukaku is still on good terms with Jose I think.
Thing that annoys me most about signing Lukaku is that we knew what we were buying. Either we then needed the winger like Perisic to supply him and we go all in backing Lukaku/Mourinho or we shouldnt have entertained buying someone like him in the first place.

MalcolmTucker

While Lukaku was here, Martial actually had a better goal per minute ratio than him in the PL despite playing from the left and being rotated.

Since Lukaku left, Martial has scored more frequently than Lukaku did for us. So has Rashford and Greenwood.

We don't miss his goals and we certainly don't miss his all-round game.

Last edited:
As if a guy like that needed to bulk up :lol: He was strong enough already
and yet he could never use his strength. I’ve never seen such a big forward be so inept at using his body and being so weak. Blind had him in his pocket. Getting fat didn’t help him either. You could see in his face it wasn’t muscle, it was lard.

Gabagoo

Wow, so many Martial FC fans in the thread. Whatever, I'm happy with my opinion. I think he's a better player, more consistently potent and has a better mentality than Martial.

Not wanting to play for the might Manchester United doesn't necessarily make you weak, mentally.

jem

We did better than the early parts with Mourinhos meltdown for sure, but not better than the season before that.
Overall there was little improvement in terms of points and performances.
Of course if you only look at a short period near the end we did better with Bruno in the side.
Although the removing of Lukaku didn't seem to have improved much at all.

This season we also do worse. Fair enough if you say the Lukaku money bought us Bruno then that would be worth it.
Just I think it was more what bought us Maguire and AWB that summer. We could have improved our attack and kept Lukaku as well if we really wanted to challenge for the league.
Maybe now with Covid we didn't have the money for it so getting as much as we did might have worked out fairly well.
Getting rid of Lukaku was the right move, especially for that sum of money. The idea that that money was possibly used to buy Maguire (I say possibly because I'm not privy to the decision process of Woodward and co.) is another matter altogether.

jem

Wow, so many Martial FC fans in the thread. Whatever, I'm happy with my opinion. I think he's a better player, more consistently potent and has a better mentality than Martial.

Not wanting to play for the might Manchester United doesn't necessarily make you weak, mentally.
I'm not a Martial F.C. fan (whatever that means,) but I do think he's better than Lukaku. To be honest, it's damning with faint praise because Lukaku is one of the worst strikers I have seen in a United shirt.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Better mentality? When Martial was dropped, he won his place with his performance and all the talk on the pitch. The moment Lukaku wasn't sure starter, he just wanted away without wanting to fight for his place.

Saying "you are grown ass man, deal with it" and other cheesy stuff doesn't mean better mentality.

I don’t like Lukaku. Let’s make that clear, but I can see why some people can argue he’s a good player, whilst certainly do not agree. The one thing you can’t argue with a straight face is that he has a good mentality. The guy is so mentally weak that people laugh at him. He constantly has to justify himself to himself. Look at all the weak willed comments he makes, the laughable Inter propaganda videos, throwing his team mates under the bus, not having the mental strength to stay fit and the right weight, being gassed after 30 mins of a football match.

He’s weak.

in fact, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen someone who is an international striker be so mentally fragile.

Paul_Scholes18

Getting rid of Lukaku was the right move, especially for that sum of money. The idea that that money was possibly used to buy Maguire (I say possibly because I'm not privy to the decision process of Woodward and co.) is another matter altogether.
The money was good so can't argue with that particular since he failed in his last season for us. Had we used it to buy someone like Ziyech that summer I would have been happier. Chelsea got him for cheap for sure.
Still I think with better service from top players all our attackers would do better and Lukaku too if he stayed.

RedDevil@84

Would it have helped Lukaku if our midfielders and other attackers played better - Yes

Did we do the right thing by selling him when we did - Yes

Should Martial FC fans hijack this thread - Hell no :D

Jibbs

Selling Lukaku was one of the best decisions of Ole do far. But I am afraid Martial is turning into another Lukaku. Whining, sulking and complaining all the time on the pitch.
We need to get rid of him as well.

Gabagoo

I don’t like Lukaku. Let’s make that clear, but I can see why some people can argue he’s a good player, whilst certainly do not agree. The one thing you can’t argue with a straight face is that he has a good mentality. The guy is so mentally weak that people laugh at him. He constantly has to justify himself to himself. Look at all the weak willed comments he makes, the laughable Inter propaganda videos, throwing his team mates under the bus, not having the mental strength to stay fit and the right weight, being gassed after 30 mins of a football match.

He’s weak.

in fact, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen someone who is an international striker be so mentally fragile.
I really don't care what a person does off the pitch, and he's rarely looked in bad enough shape to be called out for it. The only time his weight could have been called into question was when he seemed to bulk up, but that seemed to me like a deliberate and concerted effort to get bigger and stronger. That might have been a poor decision, but I don't think that he just unwillingly left himself go.

United players frequently look like pussies on the pitch and then come out in interviews and say all the right things.

I want a bit more steel and character in there. I dislike a lot of squad for the number of times they go missing in the pitch when we're not playing high-profile TV matches.

In my opinion, Lukaku on the pitch doesn't go missing - and not scoring against big teams doesn't count as going missing. In terms of workrate and bravery on the pitch he's a winner.

Paul_Scholes18

Would it have helped Lukaku if our midfielders and other attackers played better - Yes

Did we do the right thing by selling him when we did - Yes

Should Martial FC fans hijack this thread - Hell no :D
I don't think overall last summer was great though.
We did really weaken our squad and put all pressure on Martial and Rashford.

We got in Maguire, but for a lot of money. I guess they thought James would be our right winger too which didn't work out for long.

Zoo

Selling Lukaku was one of the best decisions of Ole do far. But I am afraid Martial is turning into another Lukaku. Whining, sulking and complaining all the time on the pitch.
I don't see Martial doing this?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Stop creating a narrative in your head.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
because he has no humility, was happy to throw his teammates under the bus, and keeps making up things about his time at United. It’s a blatant lie to suggest he wanted out after the 2nd game. He takes no responsibility for his failings, especially his fitness - again a lie/ propaganda to suggest it was a mystery food in his diet that Inter suddenly found.

he’s the player equivalent of Moyes. They both don’t realise their very clear failings, and will blame anyone and everything but themselves. Both weren’t good enough, both failed, and neither should have ever been anywhere near Utd in the first instance.
Fair enough. I'm not great at carrying grudges- seems too much effort and negativity, so I'm constantly surprised by the extent of the hate that a section of our fans still feels for him.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Seems to be another player that played better before and after playing for us. Not sure what we’re doing to these players.

Paul_Scholes18

Seems to be another player that played better before and after playing for us. Not sure what we’re doing to these players.
Maybe lack of top quality coaching? Mental issue maybe?
Di Maria was a strange one, but seemed to have had problems outside football. Also LVG asked him to play crazy roles as well.
Falcao was just injured before and much for us too.
Ibra was alright for us, but had hoped for even more even at his age.

GoldanoGraham

His style didn’t suit us - he’s doing well in Italy as I think he gets a little more time and space - he is good facing goal or running at it - especially onto a ball - with his back to goal and the ball fed into him he struggles to get it under control quickly enough and isn’t great at turning a defender - his build up play and touch were exposed with us - it isn’t his strength so we asked the wrong things of him.

Ole was right to get rid

Oranges038

I have to honest I've read through this a few times. Some people really seem to have either no memory or no clue how shit he was he was at Utd.

This might be a better way to look at it.

If you had a partner, you thought they looked good before you got with them. Then you got together and they turned into a lazy overweight slob who only performed on occasion, but was mostly crap at everything aside from the odd bit of a horizontal shuffle of a weekend after a few drinks. So you part ways because it's not working out.

A while later you see they appear to be looking good again, but it's in different circumstances with someone else.

Would you forget what a lazy slob they were and wish you stayed with them? Or would you remember why you got rid?

united for life

selling lukaku was indeed the right decision. Doesn’t fit into what Ole is trying to build. Martial probably is someone that fits into the script but is too inconsistent. Not sure which Martial will show up in games.

Bondi77

His style didn’t suit us - he’s doing well in Italy as I think he gets a little more time and space - he is good facing goal or running at it - especially onto a ball - with his back to goal and the ball fed into him he struggles to get it under control quickly enough and isn’t great at turning a defender - his build up play and touch were exposed with us - it isn’t his strength so we asked the wrong things of him.

Ole was right to get rid
Playing in Italy is so different from playing in England and while Lukaku has done well there I don't think he has become a better player he just gets more space and time on the ball like Pogba did.

I really don't care what a person does off the pitch, and he's rarely looked in bad enough shape to be called out for it. The only time his weight could have been called into question was when he seemed to bulk up, but that seemed to me like a deliberate and concerted effort to get bigger and stronger. That might have been a poor decision, but I don't think that he just unwillingly left himself go.

United players frequently look like pussies on the pitch and then come out in interviews and say all the right things.

I want a bit more steel and character in there. I dislike a lot of squad for the number of times they go missing in the pitch when we're not playing high-profile TV matches.

In my opinion, Lukaku on the pitch doesn't go missing - and not scoring against big teams doesn't count as going missing. In terms of workrate and bravery on the pitch he's a winner.
In no way did Lukaku show any leadership on the pitch. He had no steel or character. I’m not really sure who you have been watching.

he can score, I’ll give him that of course. But not once did I see any leadership, drive, or character from from him. I saw lots of pointing, is that what you meant?

if he’s such a winner, remind me what’s he’s won?

such a poor post. You’ve highlighted all the things he’s not good at. Well done.

Jibbs

I don't see Martial doing this?
Next time watch him more closely. I have been one of Martial's biggest fans but I think now Martial despite having most talented player for United will never reach his true potential because he wants things done for him, otherwise you see his whinny, sad face with hands on hips. Not the attitude we as fans want to see and have become sick and tired of for past seven years.

clarkydaz

Next time watch him more closely. I have been one of Martial's biggest fans but I think now Martial despite having most talented player for United will never reach his true potential because he wants things done for him, otherwise you see his whinny, sad face with hands on hips. Not the attitude we as fans want to see and have become sick and tired of for past seven years.
this is odd seeing as Deschamps this week was praising him for what an improved footballer he has become.

tenpoless

In no way did Lukaku show any leadership on the pitch. He had no steel or character. I’m not really sure who you have been watching.

he can score, I’ll give him that of course. But not once did I see any leadership, drive, or character from from him. I saw lots of pointing, is that what you meant?

such a poor post. You’ve highlighted all the things he’s not good at. Well done.
He's a leader only when things are going well. In fact almost everyone can do that :lol:

Last edited:

Verbalkint

Stats and first touch apart, I think selling him was the right thing to do. Didn't he come out and say he'd been wanting to leave United after his first couple of weeks or so? Last kind of player we need, one who didn't want to be at the club. Honestly, I couldn't care less about how he's faring at Inter.

cyril C

Look, Lukaku forced a move has nothing to do being a better player (than Martial) or not. It was Ole's preference in 1st choice striker, on Martial then Rashford then Greenwood. Lukaku did alright in the PSG away game but apparently was not selected afterwards, which pi him off. Likewise Mourinho thought Lukaku is a better #9 than Martial.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Eh? We may need to get rid of martial for performance and team needs reasons but when did he complained and whining?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Eh? We may need to get rid of martial for performance and team needs reasons but when did he complained and whining?
He never has. When things aren't going his way he seems to get down on himself and drifts out of the game (which is the main thing he needs to improve if he is going to remain our main #9 going forward), but he never complains and whines to or about anyone else.

Gabagoo

Well, as I stated, in my opinion he shows the type of character on the pitch that I want to see from my players. You're stating things like they're fact, and they aren't, so calm yourself down. Lukaku always seemed to show for the ball. Most of the time our lot (Rashford aside because he's a winner and he does show for the ball) shy away.

Lukaku has played the lone striker role at West Brom, Everton, United (at times) and Inter. That role does take character. You're essentially facing two CBs most of the game.

What's he won? Well, he's won the FA Cup and Europa League like Martial has. But again, irrelevant question. Who cares what he's won? We're talking about quality and suitability. Gerard never won the PL title but Anderson did, four times. Is Anderson a better player than Gerard?

FYI, Lukaku has featured in the PL team of the year (2016/17) - Martial never has.

Look, I'm fine with Lukaku gone, I hope he has success at Inter. I really hope that Martial steps up here and starts delivering, because he's currently our player so it's in my best interest for him to do very well. But sentiment and current clubs aside, we are allowed to prefer other players to our own.

Last edited:

Gabagoo

Look, Lukaku forced a move has nothing to do being a better player (than Martial) or not. It was Ole's preference in 1st choice striker, on Martial then Rashford then Greenwood. Lukaku did alright in the PSG away game but apparently was not selected afterwards, which pi him off. Likewise Mourinho thought Lukaku is a better #9 than Martial.
Yeah I know that.

I'm not blaming Martial for being here. Neither am I saying that Solskjaer should have kept a player that didn't want to be here.

I'm just saying that I prefer Lukaku to Martial, think that Lukaku would have had a bigger impact on this young team and would have liked it if things could have turned out differently, which obviously they couldn't.

Well, as I stated, in my opinion he shows the type of character on the pitch that I want to see from my players. You're stating things like they're fact, and they aren't, so calm yourself down. Lukaku always seemed to show for the ball. Most of the time our lot (Rashford aside because he's a winner and he does show for the ball) shy away.

Lukaku has played the lone striker role at West Brom, Everton, United (at times) and Inter. That role does take character. You're essentially facing two CBs most of the game.

What's he won? Well, he's won the FA Cup and Europa League like Martial has. But again, irrelevant question. Who cares what he's won? We're talking about quality and suitability. Gerard never won the PL title but Anderson did, four times. Is Anderson a better player than Gerard?

FYI, Lukaku has featured in the PL team of the year (2016/17) - Martial never has.

Look, I'm fine with Lukaku gone, I hope he has success at Inter. I really hope that Martial steps up here and starts delivering, because he's currently our player so it's in my best interest for him to do very well. But sentiment and current clubs aside, we are allowed to prefer other players to our own.
People can talk about his goals, and that’s a fair argument in favour of him.

but he’s got no character. He’s got no leadership, and not once did I see him show anything to suggest this. I don’t have to say “in my opinion”, as that’s obvious, so step down off of your soap box.

he’s not a winner. We can all find examples of players that have won loads of trophies who were not winners, David May for example. When the going gets tough, that’s when you see the character of players, Gerrard clearly was a winner and elevated his teammates. Lukaku doesn’t improve his team, elevate others, or drive them forward. Lukaku is all about himself, he’s not a team player, not a leader, and instead someone who shrinks when there is any pressure.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What's he won? Well, he's won the FA Cup and Europa League like Martial has.
When Chelsea won FA cup, Lukaku played grand total of 2 mins and that was in 3rd round.

When ManUtd won FA cup, he was arguably the best player in QF and SF.

Lukaku didn't win Europa league.