Sensible Transfers

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Well, the video isn’t wrong. That’s what we are aiming at the moment after Jose is sacked, looking for players for longer term at age of 27 or below. More importantly, we need to upgrade that no 10 role to someone who can pick the right pass to penetrate opposition defenders which will improve our attack massively. And if Pogba leaves that means we need to replace Pogba to find deep playmaker to offer creativity as well.

Losing Pogba due to injury and no quality in that no 10 have been the main reason why we are struggling this season for top 4, and now we are in more serious issue because we are losing Rashford with no same quality that we can rely on in either of our flanks, because we have nobody on the right side to begin with.

Tony Clifton

Well, the video isn’t wrong. That’s what we are aiming at the moment after Jose is sacked, looking for players for longer term at age of 27 or below. More importantly, we need to upgrade that no 10 role to someone who can pick the right pass to penetrate opposition defenders which will improve our attack massively. And if Pogba leaves that means we need to replace Pogba to find deep playmaker to offer creativity as well.

Losing Pogba due to injury and no quality in that no 10 have been the main reason why we are struggling this season for top 4, and now we are in more serious issue because we are losing Rashford with no same quality that we can rely on in either of our flanks, because we have nobody on the right side to begin with.
What the pod session highlighted for me, is that there are ways of rebuilding that suit us better given our current status. It's been expensive and inefficient since Fergie's retirement and we still haven't managed to emulate our successful periods.

The expectations have been lowered and whilst we reconcile and accept that, it also gives us an opportunity of patiently building for the long term over at least five or six transfer windows.

As great as Tifo Football is, of course this is simplifying it. Yet, I can't imagine our recruitment being so swift, shrewd and on point, adding players to the squad and assembling quality depth with dynamism, similar to the suggestions in the episode. At least not until we hire a director of football, so I guess it's pointless.

Still enjoyed the pod though.

Last edited:

Mark Pawelek

These players (17) should leave:

Injury prone:

Luke Shaw
Phil Jones
Diogo Dalot
Eric Bailly
Marcos Rojo
Timothy Fosu-Mensah

Uncommitted:

Paul Pogba
Alexis Sánchez
Tahith Chong

Lack quality

Jesse Lingard
Nemanja Matic
Andreas Pereira
Chris Smalling
Demetri Mitchell
Cameron Borthwick-Jackson

Aging

Juan Mata
Lee Grant

17 players. I'm not absolutely certain about Mata and Bailly, maybe Dalot. But in 75% of cases, case is closed.

Where do we buy 15 / 17 players from for less than squillians?

Target:
  1. top quality teenagers who may be at the end of their youth contract
  2. players leaving their current club on a Bosman
  3. players who've been relegated with their current club. So club can no longer afford their contract. These signings are consistentently the 3rd best value signings out there (after 1 and 2 above).

Jibbs

Odsonne Edouard 30m
Ferran Torres 40 45 m
Kelvin Phillips 45 50 m
Soumare 35 40 m

romufc

Odsonne Edouard 30m
Ferran Torres 40 45 m
Kelvin Phillips 45 50 m
Soumare 35 40 m
So sensible, lets buy young players that haven't proved anything anywhere to come into a team full of young players.

Jibbs

So sensible, lets buy young players that haven't proved anything anywhere to come into a team full of young players.
A player shows his potential early on. they are all fabulous players

sp_107

Injury prone:

Luke Shaw
Phil Jones
Diogo Dalot
Eric Bailly
Marcos Rojo
Timothy Fosu-Mensah

Uncommitted:

Paul Pogba
Alexis Sánchez
Tahith Chong

Lack quality

Jesse Lingard
Nemanja Matic
Andreas Pereira
Chris Smalling
Demetri Mitchell

Aging

Juan Mata
Lee Grant

17 players. I'm not absolutely certain about Mata and Bailly, maybe Dalot. But in 75% of cases, case is closed.

Target:
  3. players who've been relegated with their current club. So club can no longer afford their contract. These signings are consistentently the 3rd best value signings out there (after 1 and 2 above).

WOW. This explains why we are not challenging any trophies or even fighting for it.

L1nk

Injury prone:

Luke Shaw
Phil Jones
Diogo Dalot
Eric Bailly
Marcos Rojo
Timothy Fosu-Mensah

Uncommitted:

Paul Pogba
Alexis Sánchez
Tahith Chong

Lack quality

Jesse Lingard
Nemanja Matic
Andreas Pereira
Chris Smalling
Demetri Mitchell

Aging

Juan Mata
Lee Grant

Target:
Whilst i get your point i feel like this is sensationalised a bit..

Lee Grant - We already have Dean Henderson coming back who looks a fantastic prospect and will probably give De Gea a run for his money in the next few seasons
Cameron Borthwick-Jackson - I mean he's literally not been part of the plan since LVG was here and we have the likes of Laird coming in
Demetri Mitchell - is 23 and hasn't been part of the plan for as long as I can think, so not sure why he needs "replacing" as such
Tahith Chong - Again, not like we've relied on him for any first team action bar a few sub appearences, clearly thinks he's more established than he is and attitude seems crap, let him leave, won't be missed
Timothy Fosu-Mensah - Same as Borthwick-Jackson, not been in our plans for a long time, highly doubt he ever will be to be honest

Everyone else I agree with, we can get away with some players because I think we have some great players coming through, like Brandon Williams, Dean Henderson, Ethan Laird etc, but we do need some new players, hell they don't have to be world class but we need some quality bodies we can rely on to come on and that the manager can get more out of, we should look at the way Juventus have been signing a lot of their players, love a good free transfer they do. I feel like a lot of this problem would be easier to figure out with a DoF but c'est la vie

The issue, and why we haven't got rid of half of the crap we should have, is because the people running the operation, namely Woodward, don't see them as footballers, but rather monetary assets, its why they are massively reluctant to let them leave for small fees but rather keep a hold of them and tie them down to stupidly overpaid and over extended contracts

NoLogo

The Zakaria transfer is certainly something I would fancy and I agree that Ndidi would probably even a better choice seeing that he is PL proven by now but he would probably cost in the Maguire region given that he is a from another team in our league and the usual United tax.

An attacking left FB is a must-buy as well imo and if Pogba leaves we should also find an option that is more attacking in midfield and can contribute 10+ gaols a season.

Tony Clifton

A lot of good suggestions there imo. I'm a big fan of Zakaria and Ndidi and would love to see us buy at least one of the two. They bring everything you would want of a modern midfielder, robust players who don't buckle under pressing and can play a good pass forward. Ndidi - Fred/Pogba - Zakaria could be a really amazing 3 man midfield for us and provide enough "steel" as well as forward thinking passes to get the best out of our attacking trio Rashford - Martial - Greenwood.

I feel the hardest problem to solve is probably our left FB position. Do we stick with Williams and Shaw and hope that either Shaw will stabilize and not get injured anymore or that Williams is going to improve a lot more? Or do we buy a new player?
I'll reply to your post in this thread instead, since it is based on that podcast episode. Once again, for those who haven't already listened to it: I recommend that you do.

Overall, it's just a rational approach for players that won't cost a fortune.

Unfortunately, it's a tough ask within our current recruitment, scouting and structural (or lack thereof) setup. I'm not sure it can all be pinned on Woodward, but he's clearly on top of that hierarchy and with the final executive say on signings, so he has indeed failed massively and continues to do so if he insists on us doing whatever it is that we have done since Fergie's retirement.

Woodward is not the only problem, but the function of his role is apparently crucial at this club, and that function seems broken. I guess that won't change until the Glazers realise they need revise the position itself and/or Woodward's role at Manchester United. Speculation, really.

Either way, I took note of the suggested players in the episode. Doesn't necessarily have to be exactly those players, but of similar ilk, availability and price. The players were:

Robin Koch (CB)
23 years, 192 cm, right-footed
Germany/SC Freiburg

Denis Zakaria (CDM, CM)
23 years, 191 cm, right-footed
Switzerland/Borussia Mönchengladbach

Wilfried Ndidi (CDM, CM)
23 years, 183 cm, right-footed
Nigeria/Leicester City

Teun Koopmeiners (CDM, CM)
21 years, 183 cm, left-footed
Netherlands/AZ Alkmaar

Boubakary Soumaré (CDM, CM)
20 years, 188 cm, right-footed
France/LOSC Lille

Sandro Tonali (CDM, CM)
19 years, 181 cm, right-footed
Italy/Brescia

Calvin Stengs (RF, RW)
21 years, 182 cm, left-footed
Netherlands/AZ Alkmaar

Viktor Tsyhankov (RW/LW, RM/LM)
22 years, 177 cm, left-footed
Ukraine/Dynamo Kiyv

Apart from perhaps Tonali (don't think he'll leave Italy quite yet) I view them all as sensible transfers, presumably even after the eventual and mandatory Manchester United tax. Pau Torres is another one. There are also some domestic players which I think would suit us, such as Kalvin Phillips, Jarrod Bowen and Jack Grealish, although Grealish would probably be a very expensive signing.

As for the part in your post which I bolded: I still hope our own Demetri Mitchell can surprise us regarding the LB position, which is a problem position for us, as you correctly highlighted. Shaw is Shaw and while I do think Williams is a good player, I prefer having a left-footed player at LB. Ideally, the LB would be a position we'd have locked down with AWB as our main RB, whilst Williams provides backup for RB and LB as needed. After all, Williams is only 19, which is no age for a defender, including the full-back position.

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
There are loads of fecking players available at the price we should be able to pay for them. Clubs say they're not available until you start dropping bids that are above the valuation. After this window closes we've only signed 6 players in the last 2 years. Amazing planning...

Superden

Injury prone:

Luke Shaw
Phil Jones
Diogo Dalot
Eric Bailly
Marcos Rojo
Timothy Fosu-Mensah

Uncommitted:

Paul Pogba
Alexis Sánchez
Tahith Chong

Lack quality

Jesse Lingard
Nemanja Matic
Andreas Pereira
Chris Smalling
Demetri Mitchell

Aging

Juan Mata
Lee Grant

Target:
so buying players from relegated teams and bosmans, as well as youth players not yet offered professional terms, are you really going to end up with anything better than the 17 players you want owt?

talking robot

Without a competent DOF it will be impossible to build calmly in a coherent direction over 5-6 windows.