Serge Gnabry | Bayern player

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Crazy what a change of environment can do for you. I genuinely don’t recall him ever looking anything special when he was at Arsenal.
He showed glimpses but wanted to leave. Bayern basically loaning him out to Bremen and Hoffenheim did him a lot of good.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Really took me a while to get behind him but he's transformed this season into a great player. He really is on the cusp of that Ribery level but doesn't have that consistency yet, though I think Ribery had better playmaking abilities while Gnabry is better goalscorer. Really happy for him, a major player for Euro 2020.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Gnabry has grown so much into a very dangerous player

All we(Bayern) needs to Sane on the other wing next summer to form the next Robbeyr duo for years

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München

All we(Bayern) needs to Sane on the other wing next summer to form the next Robbeyr duo for years
I really hope we don't sign Sane, I don't think it would work out.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Really took me a while to get behind him but he's transformed this season into a great player. He really is on the cusp of that Ribery level but doesn't have that consistency yet, though I think Ribery had better playmaking abilities while Gnabry is better goalscorer. Really happy for him, a major player for Euro 2020.
I enjoy watching Gnabry but no way do I think he can reach Ribery or Robben level. I think people tend to forget just how good those two were. Easily the best two wingers of the decade.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
But who‘d you sign as a right winger? Coman is basically always injured and decision making is not his strong suit. Sané is young, German and seemingly willing and attainable.

Pav1878

If I'm honest the Ribery comparisons are unfair....to gnabry. Never rated Ribery that highly. Robben on the other hand was a great player.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
There were rumours that Bayern are thinking of a Gnabry/Sane player swap, which would be insane. Trying Sane at RW would be dangerous because he's never proven himself in that area, either for City or Germany. But, well, Gnabry wasn't playing LW for Bremen or Hoffenheim iirc but has settled into it really well at Bayern, who knows maybe Sane can also improve at RW.

You can certainly see some rotation between Sane and Gnabry since Gnabry has also played at RW a lot throughout his time in the BL.

Renegade

But who‘d you sign as a right winger? Coman is basically always injured and decision making is not his strong suit. Sané is young, German and seemingly willing and attainable.
Sane’ plays much much better from the left. How do they both work for Germany? Does Gnabry play right ?

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
I don't know if I ever saw a more "just final third of the pitch" player. His first touch is sometimes off, his passing and vision are okay at best, but he is such a clinical player that always runs straight towards the goal once he gets the ball.

I hope he will stay fit for the rest of the season, without him Lewy is our only really good goal scorer.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I enjoy watching Gnabry but no way do I think he can reach Ribery or Robben level. I think people tend to forget just how good those two were. Easily the best two wingers of the decade.
That's why I said cusp, not there yet but certainly close. 17 goals and 10 assists in 30 matches is an amazing record.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich

This!
And a right back who is better in offense than Pavard. Or maybe we can just convince Kimmich to go back to the position where he can become world class and we buy a new number 6.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
I agree.
Robben was a goal machine with a great mentality and Ribery a very fast playmaker on the wing.

But Gnabry and Sané can become at least top 10 wingers in the world and that may just be enough with Lewy, Thiago and the rest of the team to win the CL again in the next 2, 3 years.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Strange how football works. Most players who have an absolute stinker of a loan at a club that are just completely wrong for you like he had at West Brom tend to never come back from that. Might end up mid table somewhere abroad. Impressive from Gnabry, or did the stars just align well?

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
@DWelbz19

He turned his career around at the Olympics 2016. That's when he reestablished himself as a top talent by being one of the best players on a very young German team without any stars that only lost to Brazil with Neymar in the final on penalties.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Strange how football works. Most players who have an absolute stinker of a loan at a club that are just completely wrong for you like he had at West Brom tend to never come back from that. Might end up mid table somewhere abroad. Impressive from Gnabry, or did the stars just align well?
This is how it works. Had the same feeling with Rakitic. He seemed like an average player in the Bundesliga. Went to Spain and ended up at Barcelona.

But Gnabry was always rated as a promising talent in Germany, that's why Bayern got their hands on him.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Credit to him for getting out of Arsenal.

From memory Wenger gave him a few starts when he was very young and then he had that ill fated loan to West Brom but guy was clearly ambitious so after his loan to I think Bremen went well he wanted regular first team football so went there full time and now he's key player for club and country.

A few young players in this country could learn a bit from him.

13 goals in 13 games for Germany aswell is some record.

Renegade

This!
And a right back who is better in offense than Pavard. Or maybe we can just convince Kimmich to go back to the position where he can become world class and we buy a new number 6.
Could it be argued that by having a more defensive FB in Pavard allows Alphonso Davies on the other side to be almost an extra attacker?

Lyricist

Could it be argued that by having a more defensive FB in Pavard allows Alphonso Davies on the other side to be almost an extra attacker?
Maybe I'm wrong, but Pavard always strikes me as someone who can be fooled by a simple feint. Just look at how he goes to ground for that Alonso chance in the first half. That said, he did have to do something there, and had he not committed, Alonso would've had a free shot. But his decision making for defensive play doesn't always seem to be that of a natural defensive talent to me. I wonder how his talent status would be, had he not scored that goal against Argentina in the World Cup.

That said, I have maybe seen around 10 games of him, so my opinion is based almost entirely on assumptions.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
It helps in a way, but Pavard simply „only“ looks like an good player. Not enough for Bayern.
There were some rumors that Bayern is signing Dest from Ajax, so Kimmich seems locked in in midfield.

Castia

Can’t believe how good he is now after being absolutely useless in England.

Good for him.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
I wouldn't say so, the Bayern system is pretty symmetrical and most of the time both full backs are very high on the pitch if we are in ball possession.

Pavard just isn't as good as Davies going forward although he has some nice crosses now and then.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
There were rumours that Bayern are thinking of a Gnabry/Sane player swap, which would be insane. Trying Sane at RW would be dangerous because he's never proven himself in that area, either for City or Germany. But, well, Gnabry wasn't playing LW for Bremen or Hoffenheim iirc but has settled into it really well at Bayern, who knows maybe Sane can also improve at RW.

You can certainly see some rotation between Sane and Gnabry since Gnabry has also played at RW a lot throughout his time in the BL.
The swap rumors were Coman for Sane which Bayern has denied

Gnabry will play right and Sane on the left with Coman and Perisic as backup. Coutinho returns to Barcelona

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
The swap rumors were Coman for Sane which Bayern has denied

Gnabry will play right and Sane on the left with Coman and Perisic as backup. Coutinho returns to Barcelona
There was also rumor about Gnabry in the english media. But there is no way bayern will agree to this.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Credit to him for getting out of Arsenal.

From memory Wenger gave him a few starts when he was very young and then he had that ill fated loan to West Brom but guy was clearly ambitious so after his loan to I think Bremen went well he wanted regular first team football so went there full time and now he's key player for club and country.

A few young players in this country could learn a bit from him.

13 goals in 13 games for Germany aswell is some record.
He wasn't loaned to Bremen, he was out of contract, forced his move to Bremen with a buy-out clause to allow Bayern to buy him a year later.
Arsenal hierarchy fecked up big time on this, should have renewed him before his loan. We ended up with 5M and Bayern have a winger for 10 years....

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Just another example of "not all players peak or is world class" before the age of 20, which we sometimes demand of them these days. Think the likes of Rooney/Messi/Ronaldo has really spoilt us. I guess what I am trying to say is, we need to show more patience with Lingard.

hehehe

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He wasn't loaned to Bremen, he was out of contract, forced his move to Bremen with a buy-out clause to allow Bayern to buy him a year later.
Arsenal hierarchy fecked up big time on this, should have renewed him before his loan. We ended up with 5M and Bayern have a winger for 10 years....
Confused that with Bayern loaning him straight out to Hoffenheim.

dbs235

Just another example of "not all players peak or is world class" before the age of 20, which we sometimes demand of them these days. Think the likes of Rooney/Messi/Ronaldo has really spoilt us.
Happens all the time in England. People will probably now start writing off some of the Chelsea youngsters because they got outperformed by Bayern at the age of 20.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Happens all the time in England. People will probably now start writing off some of the Chelsea youngsters because they got outperformed by Bayern at the age of 20.
Tbf, I think it's probably a bit more universal, than just England. I doubt many Bayerns fans were too expectant when they Gnabbed Serge! Sometimes we need to have a little more patience. And I include myself in that.

troylocker

In the CL he only does it on cold nights in London though….. ;)
Has been very good in the BL and for the NT too.

Hawks2008

From being called not good enough by Tony Pulis to scoring in big CL nights. He's come a long way.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Crazy how Arsenal lost him and Bennacer so easily.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Everytime I watch him I laugh that he used to be at Arsenal :lol: