Sergej Milinković-Savić

BerryBerryShrew

I think Frankie Boyle said something along the lines of: you shouldn't be annoyed at jokes about (or in this case analogies involving) serious subjects. You should be annoyed that those serious topics are so prevalent that when he jokes about it you get the joke.

Granted, he was talking about child abuse within the Catholic Church, but I think it applies here. Be annoyed at rapists, not people who dare to mention rape as a jokey analogy.

BerryBerryShrew

Its not that useful a stat when 75% of his touches last season were in the middle third or his half for perhaps the most possesion oriented team in Serie A.

He still is not a #6 but will be a very good option at #8 as an RCM linking up with others and progressing play into the attacking third. For around £40m that's a terrific deal
Can he actually play with Bruno and Eriksen or does he want to inhabit the same spaces as they do?

davidmichael

I dont understand why we aren't in for that Nunes or Caqueret chap.
I’ve been saying we should go in for one of these two or Bennacer if we’re not certain to get De Jong in, I don’t see what Savic brings to us in comparison to what ETH wants in his system ? It’s clear ETH wants a connector/conductor deep lying playmaker and NOT a box to box midfielder.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
For the many asking, Caqueret signed a new deal literally this summer.

avgp_1

Can he actually play with Bruno and Eriksen or does he want to inhabit the same spaces as they do?
I think he will work very well with Eriksen and having a #6 behind them two.

I actually don't like Bruno in the middle anymore because of how loose he is and he is now being targeted by teams when facing his own goal, I'd rather he play LW or stay out of the XI

FiiiiveTenHaaags

is the CAF sensitive? ahhh....another one of these "movements" to make people woke...got it

ffs...it's a joke, u guys should lighten up a bit
Jokes are funny. Rape and sexual assault isn’t. End of.

Would you defend racist ‘banter’ as just a joke?

Getting back on track, SMS would be an absolute beast. If we could only make one more signing this window, it would be him for me. Doubt it will happen though.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Wow, what happened in here, its like we went back to the 90s, either that or Alan Pardew is on punditry duty again.

Don't need to be woke or sensitive to find that sort of language/joke abhorrent, but there you go.

Still don't get the fascination with this guy, Lazio have seemingly dangled him as a carrot for the past two years with no bites yet.

Lost bear

I really don’t think he thinks its hilarious, its a saying I’ve heard a thousand times, it just means lacking subtlety, maybe not the best analogy but people on here are very sensitive.
Yes. I’m not fanatical about this. I too believe in ‘freedom of speech’- it’s just that some responsibility has to go with it. People have become more aware that the use of language can hurt and upset. So, a woman who had been actually been raped might find the term offensive when used in that flippant sort of way. Often there’s no intention to hurt,. I’m sure there wasn’t on your part.

btw, the term ‘woke’ has no real conceptual content at all, it’s just an insult used by the tories and their rag, the Daily Mail.

SerbianLad

Supports
General football fan
Hi, Serbian guy here.

First of all, Sergej Milinković-Savić absolutely isn't a 10. He is an 8, a box to box midfielder. He can play as a 10, but it isn't his natural position and he is best suited for a formation that has 3 midfielders. As you all have said he isn't a 6 and if you are signing him to be a 6 that would be a huge mistake. He's miles ahead of McTominay and Fred, and although I'm biased, he's better than Bruno and Erikssen(although I'd say Erikssen in his prime was better). He's also able too play a slightly more defensive minded game than Bruno and Erikssen.

In Lazio he played as an 8 last season andn in our national team he usually plays in a midfield 2 alongside a defensive minded midfielder(Lukić from Torino or Maksimović from Getafe), which shows he doesn't have to play as offensively as some of you think. He's incredibly skillful and he likes to show it off(he tries lots of backheel passes,no look passes,nutmegs,etc).He works really hard and tries to help defensively a lot(as you'd expect from a box to box midfielder), he was one of the leading players in Serie A when it comes to covered ground and he was our national team leader in the same category at 2018 World Cup.He is good with both feet and can score goals with both(even from outside the box). He's rarely outmuscled, and he has very good crossing ability. I've seen headers were marked as a major strenght here, but I'd say he's better on the ground than in the air. Sure he's got a decent header but I wouldn't even put him in the top 5 in our national team, whereas I think he's incredible with the ball in his feet. The one thing he lacks is speed. He's not extremely slow, but that is definitely his biggest weakness.

His passing range is insane(probably not on the De Bruyne level or on Pogba's level when he's having a good game), but I'd put him in top 10-15 in the world definitely. At club level he's really consistent with his performances and will always give you at least 7/10 performance(but in most games he'd give an 8 or 9). In the national team he isn't as consistent(probably because he struggles a little bit more in a midfield 2), but nevertheless he regularly comes up with an assist or a goal. That's also one of his strongest attributes, he's a clutch player. When a defence needs to be unlocked he always comes up with something.

If he were to come to Manchester United, I think he'd need a 6 behind him. Him, a new DM and one of Erikssen/Bruno would be an excellent midfield. I don't really get some criticism on here, that he's not a good player when he's been one of the best(many fans of Italian football would say the best) midfielders in Serie A in last 5 years or so. Sure, he's not a 6 which is a position where you need reinforcment the most, but to say he's an average footballer is simply wrong. Also you definitely need an upgrade on McTominay as well and he's 100x the player McTominay is.

Good luck with the rest of season whatever happens, but I hope that you'll sign him and that you'll have another Serbian player here for me to cheer on(I miss the Vidić days :) )

Reactions: 2cents

dinostar77

Hi, Serbian guy here.

First of all, Sergej Milinković-Savić absolutely isn't a 10. He is an 8, a box to box midfielder. He can play as a 10, but it isn't his natural position and he is best suited for a formation that has 3 midfielders. As you all have said he isn't a 6 and if you are signing him to be a 6 that would be a huge mistake. He's miles ahead of McTominay and Fred, and although I'm biased, he's better than Bruno and Erikssen(although I'd say Erikssen in his prime was better). He's also able too play a slightly more defensive minded game than Bruno and Erikssen.

In Lazio he played as an 8 last season andn in our national team he usually plays in a midfield 2 alongside a defensive minded midfielder(Lukić from Torino or Maksimović from Getafe), which shows he doesn't have to play as offensively as some of you think. He's incredibly skillful and he likes to show it off(he tries lots of backheel passes,no look passes,nutmegs,etc).He works really hard and tries to help defensively a lot(as you'd expect from a box to box midfielder), he was one of the leading players in Serie A when it comes to covered ground and he was our national team leader in the same category at 2018 World Cup.He is good with both feet and can score goals with both(even from outside the box). He's rarely outmuscled, and he has very good crossing ability. I've seen headers were marked as a major strenght here, but I'd say he's better on the ground than in the air. Sure he's got a decent header but I wouldn't even put him in the top 5 in our national team, whereas I think he's incredible with the ball in his feet. The one thing he lacks is speed. He's not extremely slow, but that is definitely his biggest weakness.

His passing range is insane(probably not on the De Bruyne level or on Pogba's level when he's having a good game), but I'd put him in top 10-15 in the world definitely. At club level he's really consistent with his performances and will always give you at least 7/10 performance(but in most games he'd give an 8 or 9). In the national team he isn't as consistent(probably because he struggles a little bit more in a midfield 2), but nevertheless he regularly comes up with an assist or a goal. That's also one of his strongest attributes, he's a clutch player. When a defence needs to be unlocked he always comes up with something.

If he were to come to Manchester United, I think he'd need a 6 behind him. Him, a new DM and one of Erikssen/Bruno would be an excellent midfield. I don't really get some criticism on here, that he's not a good player when he's been one of the best(many fans of Italian football would say the best) midfielders in Serie A in last 5 years or so. Sure, he's not a 6 which is a position where you need reinforcment the most, but to say he's an average footballer is simply wrong. Also you definitely need an upgrade on McTominay as well and he's 100x the player McTominay is.

Good luck with the rest of season whatever happens, but I hope that you'll sign him and that you'll have another Serbian player here for me to cheer on(I miss the Vidić days :) )
Thats why its Rabiot as the 6 with SMS as the 8 or FDJ as the 6 and Rabiot as the 8.

Agree hes a good player, technically accomplished. Getting negative reactions from people in here who have never seen him play or dont understand his position in midfield which you clarified.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Hi, Serbian guy here.

Great summary, thank you!

FiiiiveTenHaaags

Hi, Serbian guy here.

Thanks for that mate! This is way better analysis and from a more informed perspective than half the dickheads that cry about him just because ‘we are linked to him every summer and he must be shit because he’s not glamorous’.

I’d genuinely take sms over Frenkie. 100%. I’m genuinely a massive Stan of his.

I think Rabiot/Fred at the base of the 3 with SMS in the middle and Eriksen/Bruno at the top would be incredible.

Or in. 4 2 3 1 set up have SMS next to Fred or Rabiot.

For his age, price, and ability I don’t think we could do any better than him.

It would make loads of sense which is also why sadly it won’t happen.

Abraxas

I think this is the most exciting, realistic signing we can do. Somehow the whole FDJ saga has taken the wind out of my sails for that one, even if it does happen.

If you get this guy in and he really wants to come, you're getting a proper midfielder that can do everything. Pass, get up and down the pitch, score goals, create goals. He'd need the right setup to thrive but I think he'd be a massive hit in the PL if we can do that. Would Rabiot be the man to play the foil? No idea, maybe.

I've got a feeling it's just Lazio looking for a payday though, quite honestly. Either that or an old name doing the rounds.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Lazio President Lotito it's surely not on with the 50M offer of United!

Lee565

Doubt there is any truth to it but pair him up with the right dm and think he would be great and considering some of the fees thrown about this summer, I don't think up to 60 million is too crazy a fee for him

BerryBerryShrew

Thanks for that mate! This is way better analysis and from a more informed perspective than half the dickheads that cry about him just because ‘we are linked to him every summer and he must be shit because he’s not glamorous’.

I’d genuinely take sms over Frenkie. 100%. I’m genuinely a massive Stan of his.

I think Rabiot/Fred at the base of the 3 with SMS in the middle and Eriksen/Bruno at the top would be incredible.

Or in. 4 2 3 1 set up have SMS next to Fred or Rabiot.

For his age, price, and ability I don’t think we could do any better than him.

It would make loads of sense which is also why sadly it won’t happen.
Fred at the base of any midfield is a disaster- he needs to be a B2B. And didn't Rabiot outright refuse to play as a 6 as he sees himself as an 8? If SMS is being signed we definitely need to make another DM signing. Hopefully FdJ but who knows.

AndySmith1990

Not if we get Frenkie. But knowing us we will miss out on both of them and still play Fred week in week out.
Knowing us we'll wait until deadline day to find out we'll not sign FDJ, only for it to be too late to sign Savic

saik

Knowing us we'll wait until deadline day to find out we'll not sign FDJ, only for it to be too late to sign Savic
That's the way it seems to going anyways. Our club doesn't know any other way of working. :lol:

FiiiiveTenHaaags

Fred at the base of any midfield is a disaster- he needs to be a B2B. And didn't Rabiot outright refuse to play as a 6 as he sees himself as an 8? If SMS is being signed we definitely need to make another DM signing. Hopefully FdJ but who knows.
Yeah that’s a fair point about Fred. I meant more as a defensive B2B/disruptor type role more than an out and out 6 or true DM.

Rabiot at 6 with SMS at 8 would be so nice.

I hadnt heard about Rabiot refusing to play 6. That’s a shame, from what I’ve seen as his stats his defensive play is his strong point.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Fred in the team is a disaster. Doesn’t matter if he is deployed as a #10. He will keep giving away the ball even if he isn’t under pressure. He needs to be out of the team which means we need to sign a minimum of two midfielders.

DevilRed

Hi, Serbian guy here.

Please bring him to Manchester.

RedMilo

Hi, Serbian guy here.

Firstly, thank you very much for the insight, into a player I'm not over familiar with, so it's much appreciated.

I think it very much depends on whether we get FDJ or not, from how you have explained it, they certainly wouldn't be compatible in a double pivot, and there is already enough competition for the Bruno role, with Eriksen & DVB already able to play that role.

I'm not sold on Rabiot, but perhaps a SMS/Rabiot combination could work. I suspect a Jorginho type would be better suited to playing with SMS & Bruno, in a midfield 3.

It's an option anyway.

ThanksBoss26

Fred in the team is a disaster. Doesn’t matter if he is deployed as a #10. He will keep giving away the ball even if he isn’t under pressure. He needs to be out of the team which means we need to sign a minimum of two midfielders.
Correct.

Mr PG

I can still see him do well for us in that CM role. I definitely wouldn't be looking to replace Bruno. Think I'm one of the few that still thinks Bruno is probably our best player. He's been out of form for a while, but he's still a quality player.
Bruno is one of my favorite players but I would sell him while his stock is still up to generate transfer revenues. We have no $$ and we need a liverpool Coutinho type of sale and I would bin Rashford and Bruno for that.

peridigm

Bruno is one of my favorite players but I would sell him while his stock is still up to generate transfer revenues. We have no $$ and we need a liverpool Coutinho type of sale and I would bin Rashford and Bruno for that.
I don’t think Bruno‘s stock is up at this time. Another contract renewed too early for no reason.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
Hi, Serbian guy here.

Nice post. I only want this for Christmas. If Christmas was now.

Woziak

I don’t think Bruno‘s stock is up at this time. Another contract renewed too early for no reason.
Bruno should be dropped, I would hopefully get another winger and let Sancho and Ericsen play the 10 role for a bit instantly it’s time to change the team for the next game to 4231 with T Heaton, AWB, Varane, Baily or Lindelof, Malacia, J Garner or L Martinez , Z IQbal, Ericsen, Sancho, Rashford, Garnaucho, we need pace up front and the players needs to know their are consequences for a result like today, everyone thinks we are getting thrashed by Liverpool so we might as well change most of the team but we are now seeing our squad problems with one injury to Martial and we look threadbare up front, we’ll done John Murtourgh outstanding recruitment hopefully someone will sack him and Richard Arnold before September 1st too !

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Hi, Serbian guy here.

Nice summary, cheers.

so he wouldn’t play in a midfield with FdJ then? (unless we played a DM and the two of them and no 10?)

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Romano is saying that Lazio will not sell Savic for less than between €70m and €75m. He said the rumours that emanated from England about a £42m deal being on are not true.

Last edited:

nainaisson

Saw this tweet the other day which kind of sums up my feelings on him — Milinković-Savić is a good individual player, I just don’t seem him being a particularly functional fit in the current team we have:
Everything he excels in is further up the pitch, leaving the central midfield duties to other players. That’s not what we need in midfield!
We should buy him and our keeper should always hoof the ball to him Fellaini style. That's the only way we make it down the pitch. In an ideal game, our central midfield will never touch the ball.

Master Yoda

We can kiss this guy goodbye. FDJ was never gonna sign, now even Savic is gone.
As much as Im disgusted we need to focus on Rabiot before we lose the mama's boy as well.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Saw this tweet the other day which kind of sums up my feelings on him — Milinković-Savić is a good individual player, I just don’t seem him being a particularly functional fit in the current team we have:
Everything he excels in is further up the pitch, leaving the central midfield duties to other players. That’s not what we need in midfield!
You’re basing your opinion on some random twitter accounts opinion?