Sergej Milinkovic Savic

Devil may care

Yeah I think the same, but I'd say it's 80% certain Mourinho isn't going to change from the 4231 especially if we bring in Griezmann which is looking likely.

I'd love to see a 4321 with attacking full backs providing the width, could look something like

DDG
Valencia Bailly Jones NewLb
Savic Matic Pogba
Griezmann Martial
Lukaku

However, Jose would definitely think that's too open for most games so we're never going to see it under him.
I actually wouldn't say that looks more attacking than what we are using now, Savic would offer a lot more combative physicality in the center than Mkhi and Griezmann works as hard as Mata while Martial is learning what Jose wants in temrs of tracking back.

Bulldogg

2 goals and a Assist in a 1-3 win against Nice, he's stocks are only rising i think he's Juve's number 1 priority signing next summer. If they end up selling Dybala they will have plenty of money to spend, i can see them spending 70million for him as Lazio want that amount. We'd have to spend some big bucks to get SMS, is it realistic to think we'd spend 70million for him if we are looking to sign Griezmann also ?

poacher

I think that Lazio are just trying to drive up the price. It makes no sense that they are receiving offers of 62m as the transfer window has closed. Having said that this guy is going to be a star and we should be onto it. We really should have retired Carrick last year and replaced him with Savic, Jean Seri or Jorginho. We really do need a massive clear out of the squad and all underperformers shipped out and better players brought in. We have too many mediocre players collecting huge wages that need to be moved on.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
He is an imposing brute. Exactly the kind of player Jose likes. Sergej in the midfield and Jonathan Tah in the defence and United would have a team capable of not only beating them on the scoreboard but hurting them. I would love to see these guys break small technical players favoured by City and Barca in half. It would be like Hulk playing football with smurfs.
Hulk smash spaniards

Bestietom

I think he would be an excellent signing, and would fit in perfectly with Matic and Pogba in a 2 or 3 man midfield.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not saw much of him but his YouTube clip is a bit underwhelming. He looks cumbersome and lacks balance.

United Pro

Not saw much of him but his YouTube clip is a bit underwhelming. He looks cumbersome and lacks balance.
He reminds me a bit of Fellaini, from what I've seen. Someone who's tall, physically strong and you can effectively hoof the ball to. I'm not entirely sure that's what we need, unless we see him as a replacement for Fellaini.

Walters_19_MuFc

He reminds me a bit of Fellaini, from what I've seen. Someone who's tall, physically strong and you can effectively hoof the ball to. I'm not entirely sure that's what we need, unless we see him as a replacement for Fellaini.
Been likened to Pogba apparently.

Bulldogg

Nothing like Fellaini he can go past a player and and can score from out side the box. One of the reasons he hasn't been capped for Serbia is because Serbia's manager believes he too offensive and won't fit into his 2 man midfield system.

Btw he scored again today in Serie A

Reactions: KM

United Pro

Been likened to Pogba apparently.
Nothing like Fellaini he can go past a player and and can score from out side the box. One of the reasons he hasn't been capped for Serbia is because Serbia's manager believes he too offensive and won't fit into his 2 man midfield system.

Btw he scored again today in Serie A
He's certainly faster and a better dribbler than Fellaini, but he's not as good on the ball as Pogba imo. His hold up play when long passing to him also appears to be very good, similar to Fellaini. I guess he's sort of a hybrid between Fellaini and Pogba, but I'm unsure if that's what we currently need. I'd prefer a technically better midfielder that can control the game in possession of the ball, as we already have plenty of steel in our midfield (Matic, Pogba and Fellaini).

Walters_19_MuFc

He's certainly faster and a better dribbler than Fellaini, but he's not as good on the ball as Pogba imo. His hold up play when long passing to him also appears to be very good, similar to Fellaini. I guess he's sort of a hybrid between Fellaini and Pogba, but I'm unsure if that's what we currently need. I'd prefer a technically better midfielder that can control the game in possession of the ball, as we already have plenty of steel in our midfield (Matic, Pogba and Fellaini).
Ive never seen him play, but I agree that we need someone to control the game.

Bulldogg

Yeah i'd rather pay 70million for Winger or AM. I'm happy with Matic and Pogba in central midfield.

United Pro

Ive never seen him play, but I agree that we need someone to control the game.
I've seen very little of him as well tbh, so I'm not the best placed to judge. But, a good midfield generally has a balance between technical ability and defensive capability and I feel like our squad would be much improved with a Thiago or Pjanic, along with Matic and Pogba.

poacher

According to reports he is not only big and physical but has good technical ability. He also has a link to Manchester United as his brother almost signed for United with the deal falling through because of work permit issues. I think we could get both Savic and Jorginho and fix our midfield for the next 7 years. Jorginho could be the playmaker we need and Savic could play at number 10 and fill in central midfield whenever injuries or rotation demands it. To make room in the squad Carrick would retire next summer and we could sell Mkhitaryan, Fellaini and Ash Young and Lingard.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...rget-whos-had-a-pogba-impact-serie-a?page=0,1

Bulldogg

Serbia's NT manager has been sacked after qualifying directly for the world cup, he had a personal issue with SMS and wasn't calling him up to play with the NT and its now cost him his job. SMS will finally be capped for Serbia in the upcoming friendlies and will now 100% feature in the upcoming world cup.

I guess we can finally see what him and Matic playing alongside one another looks like. I'm sure Mourinho will keep a close eye on Serbia's games if the rumours about us being interested in SMS are true.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Not the greatest video, but I remember SM-S as one of the standout performers as Serbia won the u20 World Cup in New Zealand in 2015 beating Brazil in the Final, if he's progressed i'm not surprised the top clubs are having a look at him, but it's probably best he stays in Italy for another year or two.

beingshe7don

Savic and Pogba midfield wouldn't be too bad. Savic and Pogba are quite similar. So if one goes forward, the other can stay behind to protect the back four. Savic could also be a more than capable backup for Pogba. He's definitely a player we need.

Matic/ Savic/ Pogba/ Herrera would be a good selection of CMs to have

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
According to reports he is not only big and physical but has good technical ability. He also has a link to Manchester United as his brother almost signed for United with the deal falling through because of work permit issues. I think we could get both Savic and Jorginho and fix our midfield for the next 7 years. Jorginho could be the playmaker we need and Savic could play at number 10 and fill in central midfield whenever injuries or rotation demands it. To make room in the squad Carrick would retire next summer and we could sell Mkhitaryan, Fellaini and Ash Young and Lingard.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/sergej-milinkovic-savic-liverpool-transfer-target-whos-had-a-pogba-impact-serie-a?page=0,1
Remember the pic, SAF looked like a dwarf and GK was around 17 at that time. As per Google, he is 6.8 feet.

poacher

Savic and Pogba midfield wouldn't be too bad. Savic and Pogba are quite similar. So if one goes forward, the other can stay behind to protect the back four. Savic could also be a more than capable backup for Pogba. He's definitely a player we need.

Matic/ Savic/ Pogba/ Herrera would be a good selection of CMs to have
I like your thinking but I would replace Herrera with Jorginho as we desperately need more creativity in the team. Jorginho is a playmaker that's capable of lacing 40m passes like Erikson or De Bruyne. Jorginho used to be a defensive midfielder so he can also tackle. One of Pogba or Savic could be moved to number 10 so we could utilise all 4 midfielders.

BTW Love the picture of Savic's brother. My god, he was imposing even as a 17-year-old!

Last edited:

beingshe7don

This guy or Goretzka would sort out our midfield depth once and for all
Although I'm a huge fan of Goretzka and wanted him to join United, I just feel that Savic is more of a rough and tough sorta player that would get stuck in to win the ball and so on. Both great players to have in the team and with Matic here, he would fit in pretty well.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Yeah i'd rather pay 70million for Winger or AM. I'm happy with Matic and Pogba in central midfield.
In my opinion you won't come close to winning the CL with a double pivot of Pogba and Matic.

I mean, I rate them both, but they will get played off the park when facing the midfield of Real, Bayern, City etc...

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
In my opinion you won't come close to winning the CL with a double pivot of Pogba and Matic.

I mean, I rate them both, but they will get played off the park when facing the midfield of Real, Bayern, City etc...
I seriously doubt City will play as off the park with Matic and Pogba in midfield. Even more so when he have a 3rd player in there. Our biggest problem is we lack a world class forward line.

Last edited:

Bulldogg

I agree, it's just that Martial is 21 and Rashford is 19 we can't expect them to take us to the next level attacking wise yet. That's the area of the field we need to address first cause Miki, Lingard and Mata are definitely not the players to take us to the next level. Established star players who play in the final third don't come cheap. I guess it all depends on how much money we are willing to spend in the summer, if we are willing to spend 150million then we can address both areas of the field.

Reactions: Joga Bonito

poacher

I agree, it's just that Martial is 21 and Rashford is 19 we can't expect them to take us to the next level attacking wise yet. That's the area of the field we need to address first cause Miki, Lingard and Mata are definitely not the players to take us to the next level. Established star players who play in the final third don't come cheap. I guess it all depends on how much money we are willing to spend in the summer, if we are willing to spend 150million then we can address both areas of the field.
150m is not enough. We need fullbacks as well as a number 10 and a winger and CM. Even if we spend wisely that's 200m easily.

Daniel_M7

Listened to a Swedish podcast today. They had a guest on today with very great knowledge of Italian football and his favorite team is Lecce so this has nothing to do with Lazio being his favorite team or anything. Either way, every week, the interviewers ask the guest who would be the world's best football player unless Ronaldo or Messi played. The guest says to my surprise Milinkovic-Savic and then praises him over a few minutes. I have not seen much of him personally but obviously he seems to possess great qualities already even though he obviously is not the world's best player after Ronaldo or Messi but I found that to be a very refreshing answer from the normal players guests say like Suarez and Neymar.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I do not think Juve are so much into him these days, bar a massive rebuilding with Simone Inzaghi appointed as new coach, many players going / retiring and as many coming... in that only case, Milinkovic, De Vrij and Immobile may well command the entire fee Marotta gets for Dybala, that is €150m-€200m or even more. The safe and usual bet from Marotta here is Emre Can or Goretzka on a free, make him shine in the Juve system for a couple years and then sell for a fortune abroad.

beingshe7don

Jose really needs to steal this guy from under Pep & City's nose by using Matic to convince him to come over. If we plan on losing Fellaini, this guy needs to be brought in before Griezmann, even if it means breaking the bank in January.

iamherenow

we need to be more ruthless in the market,they should let mourinho loose,he know how to buy quality..

Bestietom

I like your thinking but I would replace Herrera with Jorginho as we desperately need more creativity in the team. Jorginho is a playmaker that's capable of lacing 40m passes like Erikson or De Bruyne. Jorginho used to be a defensive midfielder so he can also tackle. One of Pogba or Savic could be moved to number 10 so we could utilise all 4 midfielders.

BTW Love the picture of Savic's brother. My god, he was imposing even as a 17-year-old!
Certainly would be a fearsome midfield with those 4 of Matic, Pogba, Savic, and Jorginho @poacher . If only we could get them. Don't know if Mourinho would agree though.