Sergej Milinkovic Savic

Brophs

The One and Only
Would that be the tallest first choice midfield three in Europe? Pogba at 6’3, Matic 6’4 and Savic 6’4.

beingshe7don

Explains why Mourinho is interested :lol:
Let's face it... It's not about just getting in tall players to control the midfield. Herrera is 6'0 but Silva who is 5'7 pretty much ran riot in the derby. Herrera was pretty much a sack of potato who did absolutely nothing. After Pogba, our only replacements/ cover for him is Herrera and Fellaini and neither of them are good enough to feature for us, let alone fill in for Pogba.

Savic brings that sort of confidence that we need to dictate our play in midfield in Pogba's absence. The guy is tall, strong and more importantly, he's technically sound and can hold up the ball. He may not be as good as Pogba but he's better than all the other midfielders we possess. We expected Matic to do Pogba's job yesterday of spreading the passes all around which didn't work at all. Matic needs to do what he does best which is breaking up play and providing it to Pogba or even Savic to do damage in the final third of the field.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Very talented player this lad.

Hopefully things get sorted with Serbia and we see him in the world cup.

Reading this thread before I could start posting, a lot seem to think he's a holding midfielder. I've always been confused by that as whenever I watch Lazio he's always popping up on the edge of the box and chips in with goals.

Lazio are about to play Torino. Their midfield is Lucas Leiva, Parolo, Lulic and SMS. He is the most advanced midfielder of the four.

He has similar characteristics to Pogba. Could you play both in the same midfield. I'm not sure but certainly a player to watch.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Milinković-Savić is a quality prospect, but we don't really need him. If you think back to what made Pogba an effective and exciting player at Juventus (which remains his peak in terms of performance):

Pogba was the all-round dazzler as a mezz'ala, Vidal the substance with his workrate and ability to plough through opposition midfields, and Pirlo the architect who controlled the team's overall strategy:

https://grup14.com/article/tactical-analysis-juventus-playing-style-and-key-characteristics

That trio was very, very complementary in that all three players excelled at specific tasks. Even though Pogba is developing as a box-to-box player, he's not going to become the most wily and deliberate passer - nor should he aim to be one because his strengths lie elsewhere. What we ideally need is someone in the mold of Pirlo, Scholes, or even Verratti or Pjanić to set the tempo of the team as regards passing nous - United currently lacks that type of midfielder, and a top one could make our midfield a truly dominant unit. Not sure Milinković-Savić will have the same effect.
Best post on this thread. Explains perfectly if you set you with a midfield trio all three need to display different characterisics.

If you signed SMS and played him and Pogba then both would be making the same runs into the late into the box so you leave a bit gap behind and plenty of ground for Matic to cover (think back to Gerrard-Lampard).

Man. City yesterday had Fernandinho covering infront of the back 4, KDB making the dynamic forward runs from deep and Silva effortlessly controlling the tempo of the game.

Liverpool ten years back had Mascherano-Alonso-Gerrard who all did that stuff.

United are nearly there. Pogba is getting there to being a dominant player in this league, Matic is good at what he does and I rate Herrera but it's just not quite good enough and even less when you have to play that certain way to get Fellani involved in things.

haram

Great little ball into Immobile at the end of the half. Striker should have scored.

Bulldogg

Great little ball into Immobile at the end of the half. Striker should have scored.
The ref wrecked the game with that red card to Immobile, he even looked at it on the video replay and still gave the red. Also he should of given the penalty to Lazio for the handball, you got to feel for Lazio.

SMS has looked good, always a threat to do something should of had an assist clever pass there at the end, also a really nice long ball earlier in the half.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Felipe Anderson just come for Lazio. He was a bit of a flash in the pan wasn't he, linked regularly when LVG was manager.

wolvored

If we get him we might be able to play less hoofball and more football with a 3 man midfield. Hes not going to come and be Pogbas bench warmer.

United Pro

Felipe Anderson just come for Lazio. He was a bit of a flash in the pan wasn't he, linked regularly when LVG was manager.
I believe he's just returned from injury after being out all season so far. He was decent enough last season as well, but not worth the £50m Lazio wanted.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
If we get him we might be able to play less hoofball and more football with a 3 man midfield. Hes not going to come and be Pogbas bench warmer.
No he won't. And I'm not sure if 3 midfielders is too defensive for most games, which makes me wonder if this is the route we'll take. I think Jose might prefer a no.10 like Ozil. This guy is too good, by the sounds of it, to play backup.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Best post on this thread. Explains perfectly if you set you with a midfield trio all three need to display different characterisics.

If you signed SMS and played him and Pogba then both would be making the same runs into the late into the box so you leave a bit gap behind and plenty of ground for Matic to cover (think back to Gerrard-Lampard).

Man. City yesterday had Fernandinho covering infront of the back 4, KDB making the dynamic forward runs from deep and Silva effortlessly controlling the tempo of the game.

Liverpool ten years back had Mascherano-Alonso-Gerrard who all did that stuff.

United are nearly there. Pogba is getting there to being a dominant player in this league, Matic is good at what he does and I rate Herrera but it's just not quite good enough and even less when you have to play that certain way to get Fellani involved in things.
Why dont we try Mata next to Pogba playing the silva role.

haram

No he won't. And I'm not sure if 3 midfielders is too defensive for most games, which makes me wonder if this is the route we'll take. I think Jose might prefer a no.10 like Ozil. This guy is too good, by the sounds of it, to play backup.
I think he will try to get both. Just rotate between the midfielders and if Pogba does get injured SMS just replaces him. We need both quality and quantity. Ozil and SMS would be great signings.

wolvored

I have only read about him, saw what people on here have said about him and saw him on youtube (obviously show his best bits) to be honest, But as already said if hes coming, he wont be backup. It would also mean a tactical change from Mourinho to a 4-3-3, or 4-1-4-1 as well.

wolvored

I think he will try to get both. Just rotate between the midfielders and if Pogba does get injured SMS just replaces him. We need both quality and quantity. Ozil and SMS would be great signings.
As I have said this wont happen, and Mourinho wont rotate Pogba. If hes coming he will play with a new formation to make him fit in.

haram

As I have said this wont happen, and Mourinho wont rotate Pogba. If hes coming he will play with a new formation to make him fit in.
Of course they could both play in the same team, but the signing also means we have more cover for Pogba.

Aden

I think he's excellent. Has been so since his days at Genk in Belgium. That said, yeah, I don't see how he fits here. He's another Pogba type of midfielder.

I remember Juventus being linked with him tenuously over the summer. I'd imagine he's first on their list next year too, he's one of the biggest young talent in Italy at the moment not already playing for one of the big[ger] teams.
I agree that he is another Pogba type midfielder, but couldn’t we play a midfield three of Matic holding and then Pogba and Milinkovic-Savic on either side of him. I think that would be a very balanced and effective midfield three. Your thoughts?

Aden

Yeah I think the same, but I'd say it's 80% certain Mourinho isn't going to change from the 4231 especially if we bring in Griezmann which is looking likely.

I'd love to see a 4321 with attacking full backs providing the width, could look something like

DDG
Valencia Bailly Jones NewLb
Savic Matic Pogba
Griezmann Martial
Lukaku

However, Jose would definitely think that's too open for most games so we're never going to see it under him.
This would be a dream lineup for us! If we could get Sandro or Rose to play left back as well in this team, then we would be even with city in my opinion

Dante

Average bang
Mourinho bought Ballack to play with Lampard in a midfield 3. He also wanted Gerrard for the same reason.

Anything Pogba can do in a midfield 2, he can just as easily do in a 3. Switching to 433 wouldn't limit him, it would liberate him. And Savic would also benefit.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Mourinho bought Ballack to play with Lampard in a midfield 3. He also wanted Gerrard for the same reason.

Anything Pogba can do in a midfield 2, he can just as easily do in a 3. Switching to 433 wouldn't limit him, it would liberate him. And Savic would also benefit.
I don’t think anyone is arguing it would limit him. It’s just whether we think Mourinho is going to go that route or not. I for one certainly hope so

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Goretzka is a bit more defensive minded than SMS, in terms of passing and take-ons the advantage goes the other way... bit of a toss-up here, depends on what system Jose wants to implement.

wolvored

I agree that he is another Pogba type midfielder, but couldn’t we play a midfield three of Matic holding and then Pogba and Milinkovic-Savic on either side of him. I think that would be a very balanced and effective midfield three. Your thoughts?
Yes that would be excellent

Andersons Dietician

Can’t say I’ve ever seen him play but was interested as seems to be a lot of hype building about him so I went to the muppet bible (YouTube) just to get a sense of what he is about and whoever is doing his YouTube edits is doing a rubbish job of it as he looked really underwhelming.

Going to try and catch a proper game to see what he’s like though but is it true they want over a 100mil?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
If he's that good then it's an amazing midfield. The issue is that we lose an attacker and i think there is already an issue with goals in our team. We need to be adding to our goal threat.

Bestietom

I wouldn't mind getting him and then playing and him with Matic and moving Pogba in the number 10 role behind Lukaku. That would not only release Pogba but give us so much strength in midfield.
Yes, that would solve the number 10 role also. A tricky ball playing winger should be added.

MadMike

What figure are you talking about? €100m?
Wouldn't be surprised. He literally signed a 5 year contract this year. His not going anywhere for a couple of years, but if he does go it'd be for an exorbitant fee.

beingshe7don

Our No. 10's have been absolute horseshit. Pogba despite playing in midfield is our playmaker and essentially a false 10. Savic and Pogba would be a crazy midfield pair protected by Matic. Savic and Pogba would essentially be our "Silva/ De bruyne" pair.

beingshe7don

Yes, that would solve the number 10 role also. A tricky ball playing winger should be added.
We need width.... our wingers have been absolute crap.... Lukaku clearly is having a bad patch in front of goal which is why we need to create more chances for him. We should have been bombarding the penalty box with crosses for Lukaku to attack. It's a shame for any home team when the opponent comes and dominates. Mourinho's tactics failed completely. He expected us to do damage on the counter attack and kept inviting trouble. We were playing with a back 4, not a back 3 with wingbacks. Our defenders weren't good enough to soak in the pressure especially when we kept dropping off. Football Manager 101 - You don't give space to the best player in the opposition team and De bruyne and Silva were given ample space.

Yes our players played horrible but the tactics were messed up as well. He should have adopted the same team and formation like what he had done with Arsenal.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Actually Pogba played his best football in a 3 men CM.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Looks a talent, but my worry is we will still look very statuesque in midfield and slow/ponderous whilst the world moves further and further away from us in putting smaller nippier guys in midfield, who can win the ball, and keep it at hyper speed.

MrSingh2002

Probably the only box to boxer since Strootman and Vidal that has interested me. Sign him up and play him with Matic and Pogba.