Sergio Aguero | Performances

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I know its all a matter of opinions, but the notion that Benzema is better than Aguero is mental!
It's not mental. Presumed we talk about elite footballers, there is no absolute quality regardless of the role a player plays. And there are certain setups in which Benzema will indeed be the better player than Agüero, because he can do things Agüero can't (and vice versa, of course). Read @berbatrick's post above, I think he's got it exactly right. Under Ancelotti, Benzema was fantastic in that false 9/CF hybrid role and no one in world football could have done that better.

On the other hand, Benzema's role has changed under Zidane. He is now playing more like a regular CF, scoring more, but not connecting B+C as good as before. So Agüero might actually be a better fit for that role. Then again, Real is operating with crosses a lot and while Benzema's heading ability is not great, he is certainly better than Agüero in that regard.

So it really depends on what you want from a striker.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Statistically speaking, you'd have to class Suarez on his own, as the best 9 in the world at the moment. He's also done it at just about every level and every occasion/big match for a sustained period now. Personally though, I'd have Aguero (slightly ahead) as the "best of the rest", injuries aside. The rest being Lewandowski, Benzema, Ibrahimovich and for some, Higuain (though I'm not a fan).

It is often overlooked how someone like Benzema often sacrifices himself for the team/Ronaldo. So comparing straight goal tallies are always skewed - there are just so many variables/nuances to consider. Relative strength of the teams they play for, leagues they play in, goals in important games, roles in the team, amount of assists etc. etc.

But discounting all those, and just from watching them, my list of best CF's would probably look something like:

Suarez
Aguero
Lewandowski
Benzema
Ibrahimovich
Higuain
Costa
Aubamayeng

Probably missing a couple of good CF's, but I can't be arsed to think now. I don't think there's much in it between "that 4" after Suarez though. Aguero shades it for me because, from a personal point of view (preference), I like what he brings to the team. The pace/strength, finishing and the ability to produce something from nothing, especially beating a defender.

Treble

D. Costa is a bit underrated on here because of being such a cnut. He isn't worse than Zlatan or Benz, IMO. His last season at Atleti was better than any season of Zlatan and Benz. Zlatan's stats at PSG were better, of course, but only because of the sheer dominance of PSG in Ligue 1. Of course, Costa isn't as elegant on the ball but he is a nightmare for the defenders with his workrate and villain character.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Guardiola came close to confirming the reports from last season that Aguero has extended his contract a further year until 2020. Excellent news.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Funny how this thread hasn't been bumped in a while. When he scores a few goals, the hyperbolic comments come out in quick succession. When he goes missing he receives next to zero criticism.

"Best player in the PL by a country mile"
"Way better than Higuain and Benzema"

It's absolutely ridiculous the OTT praise he always receives. He offers next to nothing in open play these days and I don't even think he's the best striker in the League atm.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Half injured Aguero has a couple of bad games and people who praised him are "OTT". He still has the best goal to minute ratio in Premier League history and is the best player in the prem, a couple of games without a goal doesn't change that nor does a missed penalty. I also think he's not on Suarez level but I think the biggest difference between the two is Suarez is always fit and Aguero picks up so many niggles (like this week) that he has lots of periods where he's getting his game back and recovering. Both fit and on form I'd still plump for Suarez workrate but there is very little between them at sticking the ball in the net. The fact Aguero was Barca's first choice ahead of Suarez says just how good he is.

redNATION

Half injured Aguero has a couple of bad games and people who praised him are "OTT". He still has the best goal to minute ratio in Premier League history and is the best player in the prem, a couple of games without a goal doesn't change that nor does a missed penalty. I also think he's not on Suarez level but I think the biggest difference between the two is Suarez is always fit and Aguero picks up so many niggles (like this week) that he has lots of periods where he's getting his game back and recovering. Both fit and on form I'd still plump for Suarez workrate but there is very little between them at sticking the ball in the net. The fact Aguero was Barca's first choice ahead of Suarez says just how good he is.
If that's true, they're very fortunate. Suarez is a better player than Aguero, i dont think Aguero has ever had the running and dribbling ability of Suarez; Aguero's best play comes around the box, but Suarez is a perfect partner for Messi and Neymar.

Rossa

If that's true, they're very fortunate. Suarez is a better player than Aguero, i dont think Aguero has ever had the running and dribbling ability of Suarez; Aguero's best play comes around the box, but Suarez is a perfect partner for Messi and Neymar.
Eh? Aguero is twice as fast and agile as Suarez and has even better body control. Not much between them footballing wise either, but Suarez is more consistent.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Funny how this thread hasn't been bumped in a while. When he scores a few goals, the hyperbolic comments come out in quick succession. When he goes missing he receives next to zero criticism.

"Best player in the PL by a country mile"
"Way better than Higuain and Benzema"

It's absolutely ridiculous the OTT praise he always receives. He offers next to nothing in open play these days and I don't even think he's the best striker in the League atm.
The caf has been hugely overrating the City team for a good few years. They have been considered by far the best team in the league even when they were playing terrible.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'd rather have Suarez in my team IMO. Club level wise I'd say Suarez slightly outperforms Aguero but on national level Suarez has really outshone Aguero. This combination of turning up wherever and whoever he plays for is the main reason I'd prefer Suarez.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
So, Argentina have Messi, Aguero, Higuain and Di Maria in their attack.
How on Earth have they not won any major trophies?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So, Argentina have Messi, Aguero and Di Maria in their attack.
Gonzalo 'Uberbottler' Higuain might have something to do with it.

Womp

idiot
Aguero is dire when he plays for Argentina, Di Maria is Di maria and Higuain is a bottlejob. Argentina's national team is a squad of superstars rather than a team tbh.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Aguero looks pub standard at times for the NT, Higuain too. Tevez also struggled for the NT whenever he played - I think his record for them is pretty appalling considering how good he is. They have a really disjointed team, have done ever since Riquelme retired from the NT.

padr81

Supports
Man City
City wouldn't sell Aguero so they went for Suarez, which turned out great for them. though the interest in Aguero may have been because of Suarez suspension. Hard to know.

Aguero is dire when he plays for Argentina, Di Maria is Di maria and Higuain is a bottlejob. Argentina's national team is a squad of superstars rather than a team tbh.
Yup the entire Argentina team doesn't click at all, so much talent so little team and with Messi's retirement U-turn and Aguero saying others may have left too, I think they're not a united camp. Like so many of the great Spain teams pre 2008

Santoryo

ripping the reward
The caf has been hugely overrating the City team for a good few years. They have been considered by far the best team in the league even when they were playing terrible.
This.

Everything City related have been ridiculously overrated on the Caf. They get labelled best team by countries miles when in truth they struggle yo blow the league away.

City players are constantly overrated on the Caf. The likes of Aguero, KDB, Kompany, Toure etc have been put on far further pedestal than they actually are or were.

Sure these guys are /were good but the Caf elevated them to standards they weren't which is why one hear talks of Aguero being the best striker along the likes of Suarez etc.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Aguero was very good dribbler when he was Atletico Madrid, now his allround is not that good but he is very sharp in the box.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
This.

Everything City related have been ridiculously overrated on the Caf. They get labelled best team by countries miles when in truth they struggle yo blow the league away.

City players are constantly overrated on the Caf. The likes of Aguero, KDB, Kompany, Toure etc have been put on far further pedestal than they actually are or were.

Sure these guys are /were good but the Caf elevated them to standards they weren't which is why one hear talks of Aguero being the best striker along the likes of Suarez etc.
You missed out the most overrated of them all, David Silva. To be fair the caf has a tendency to vastly overrated numerous players, it's not solely connected with Man City.

WhoDaGOAT

You missed out the most overrated of them all, David Silva. To be fair the caf has a tendency to vastly overrated numerous players, it's not solely connected with Man City.
Silva is the best natural playmaker in the world. He's basically Messi without the goals and explosive dribbling.

Since joining City, he's been the most consistent player in the league.

Sam M

Aguero has certainly lost a step in explosiveness and imagination in his game. Still, a horribly clinical finisher though.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Difference between Suarez and Aguero is heart. In terms of talent I think Aguero edges it in terms of how aesthetically pleasing and technically gifted he looks whereas Suarez is rugged. Suarez is a street fighter though and the fact he stays more fit makes him the better player. He also does more audocious things on the pitch because he thinks more outside the box. He loses possession a lot more than Aguero because he's less refined and more inconsistent on the ball but in a way it makes him more unpredictable.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Difference between Suarez and Aguero is heart. In terms of talent I think Aguero edges it in terms of how aesthetically pleasing and technically gifted he looks whereas Suarez is rugged. Suarez is a street fighter though and the fact he stays more fit makes him the better player. He also does more audocious things on the pitch because he thinks more outside the box. He loses possession a lot more than Aguero because he's less refined and more inconsistent on the ball but in a way it makes him more unpredictable.
This I think is a big part of it too. Suarez is Aguero's talent with Tevez desire and occasionally cuntishness.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Aguero technically gifted? That's not really what I'd associate with him now, Suarez is way better in tricks, flicks, passes, variety of finishing. Suarez has got more to his game, Aguero is one of the most selfish players around, he's superclinical but Suarez just as, and having a far better allround game, and he creates more for himself, which Aguero has lost a bit since losing some pace and explosivity.

Eddy_JukeZ

Silva is the best natural playmaker in the world. He's basically Messi without the goals and explosive dribbling.

Since joining City, he's been the most consistent player in the league.
I think that's a massive exaggeration.

Both parts. Messi is clearly superior to him in "playmaking".

And Silva's probably one of the most inconsistent players in the league. There's no chance he's been the most consistent player in the league.

So-so season in 2010-2011

Very good in 2011-2012, but tailed off towards the end.

So-so season in 2012-2013

Good in 2013-2014

So-so season in 2014-2015

So-so season in 2015-2016

Good so far in 2016-2017

That's the definition of inconsistent!

WhoDaGOAT

I think that's a massive exaggeration.

Both parts. Messi is clearly superior to him in "playmaking".

And Silva's probably one of the most inconsistent players in the league. There's no chance he's been the most consistent player in the league.

So-so season in 2010-2011

Very good in 2011-2012, but tailed off towards the end.

So-so season in 2012-2013

Good in 2013-2014

So-so season in 2014-2015

So-so season in 2015-2016

Good so far in 2016-2017

That's the definition of inconsistent!
Silva dictates the pace of game. Something that is rarely seen from his peers. De Bruyne can score as many goals as he likes, Silva is the real genius.

Most assists in the league since joining? Most key passes?

Plus, he's often the player who plays the ball that leads to the assist. The amount of times he plays through their left fullback or wingers for them to pull the ball back for a goal is remarkable.

Eddy_JukeZ

Silva dictates the pace of game. Something that is rarely seen from his peers. De Bruyne can score as many goals as he likes, Silva is the real genius.

Most assists in the league since joining? Most key passes?

Plus, he's often the player who plays the ball that leads to the assist. The amount of times he plays through their left fullback or wingers for them to pull the ball back for a goal is remarkable.
You didn't really refute my point.

I know what type of player he is.

He's just not been the most consistent player in the league since he's joined. That's far off the mark and Messi clearly eclipses him in their creative aspect with passing.

WhoDaGOAT

You didn't really refute my point.

I know what type of player he is.

He's just not been the most consistent player in the league since he's joined. That's far off the mark and Messi clearly eclipses him in their creative aspect with passing.
You don't understand football. Fair enough.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
You say at the same time whilst many posters here wonder why Rojo and Romero are still United players.

Playing with Messi means that defensively you're playing with 10 men. When you're Barcelona and averaging something like 70% possession that's fine. Aguero and Higuain are no defenders either and the actual Argentinian back 5 isn't anything special. Demichelis is still a CB for them, they have Rojo and Romero starting neither of whom play regularly and Mascherano is a DMC, not a CB like he's played for the past 5-6 years. They're team is simply not as good as some others despite having a few great individuals.

As for this thread bump, Aguero is excellent. He's just very average at penalties. I think players' egos are sometimes to big. Just because you're that good doesn't mean you can't practice a bit extra. The very best set pieces and penalty takers have all practiced it a lot. Something tells me Messi or Aguero haven't bothered much to practice that specific skill.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Silva's definitely inconsistent, I'm sure all of the City fans in here would agree. His technique is consistently world class, but he has games, months and seasons where he floats in and out of play, and other periods where he's integral to every move and his final ball is exceptional.

I think Guardiola moving him deeper (haven't seen the last few City games so not sure if this was a temporary switch) will be good for him, as it highlights in strengths of ball retention, and makes his final ball less vital to City's success. It's the same reason why Cazorla moving deeper has improved Arsenal loads over the last couple of years, even though he's scoring a lot less.

Eddy_JukeZ

It's not a criticism, it's an observation.
Telling someone on here they don't understand football is a criticism.

If you disagree with my point, then just agree to disagree instead of criticizing one's football nous.

WhoDaGOAT

Telling someone on here they don't understand football is a criticism.

If you disagree with my point, then just agree to disagree instead of criticizing one's football nous.
Criticism is subjective and often defined by perception. You perceived that as a criticism.