Sergio Aguero | Performances

Dir Wangem

Isn't Agüero still their best player? Or is that De Bryune already?

At least when Fergie benched Rooney there were 3-4 better players in the team...

Zoo

I've always thought otherwise, what makes you say this?
Am guessing tbf but Aguero doesn't really work hard enough from the front and Pep has already talked about wanting him to improve. Plus he's not a Messi where allowances will be made.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Well...he wouldn't have dropped Messi for this game had he still been at Barca.
Very true but Messi is the best player in the world, not rating Aguero as highly as Messi is far from damning.
Am guessing tbf but Aguero doesn't really work hard enough from the front and Pep has already talked about wanting him to improve. Plus he's not a Messi where allowances will be made.
That's fair enough, I get what you're saying and agree to some extent, also Messi has just finished the game off

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
There's no way we can be expected to understand the genius behind not playing him.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Find all this funny, its almost like any reason this forum can find to criticise Pep.

The reason is obviously tactical to get another body in midfield and press Barca before the ball reaches MSN. 6 man midfield
4-0 with extra bodies in midfield. Tactical genius.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Never said I thought it was tactical genius and we were as good as Barca till Bravo's brain fart. They are still a far better team.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Never said I thought it was tactical genius and we were as good as Barca till Bravo's brain fart. They are still a far better team.
Barca without their first choice defense you mean ? If you dint have an extra man in midfield you wouldnt survive the first half, You did and still got pissed on.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Barca without their first choice defense you mean ? If you dint have an extra man in midfield you wouldnt survive the first half, You did and still got pissed on.
Of course we wouldn't hence why Aguero was dropped. Barca are the far better team.
Pep dropped a CF and played an extra man in midfield and we did well.
We wouldn't have survived without the extra midfielder.
Should never have played extra midfielders and should have played Aguero.
So I am to take it we should have started Aguero and got blown away by half time.

Caf logic is Pep should have played Aguero but kept an extra man in midfield. How's that work?

cyberman

Apparently he refused to warm up with the rest of the subs before the game.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Of course we wouldn't hence why Aguero was dropped. Barca are the far better team.
Pep dropped a CF and played an extra man in midfield and we did well.
We wouldn't have survived without the extra midfielder.
Should never have played extra midfielders and should have played Aguero.
So I am to take it we should have started Aguero and got blown away by half time.

Caf logic is Pep should have played Aguero but kept an extra man in midfield. How's that work?
Might as well benched Stones and play another mid, it's not like he has a lot of use.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I saw the highlights just now, it could easily have been level before Bravo's clusterfeck. The Messi goals were all because of individual mistakes, especially 1 and 3.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why are a bunch of City fans saying they did well when they got slapped 4-0?
They were as good as Barca until they battered them.

Moby

Dick
I saw the highlights just now, it could easily have been level before Bravo's clusterfeck. The Messi goals were all because of individual mistakes, especially 1 and 3.
What you probably didn't see in the highlights was how easy it was for Barca to pick their forward passes and runs effortlessly with large amount of spaces being left between both midfield-defense and defense-keeper. The latter was actually suicidal against MSN, who are known to be one of the best counter attacking unit ever assembled, to play that high line and leave acres of space for the likes of Suarez and Neymar to run into. There were a couple of insanely close offside calls against Suarez that would have been a 1v1 for him with no City player anywhere near him. The tactics employed basically had no regard for the opposition nor the players they were being implemented on given their abilities. Overall a really naive 'Arsene Wenger-ish' tactical display today.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
What you probably didn't see in the highlights was how easy it was for Barca to pick their forward passes and runs effortlessly with large amount of spaces being left between both midfield-defense and defense-keeper. The latter was actually suicidal against MSN, who are known to be one of the best counter attacking unit ever assembled, to play that high line and leave acres of space for the likes of Suarez and Neymar to run into. There were a couple of insanely close offside calls against Suarez that would have been a 1v1 for him with no City player anywhere near him. The tactics employed basically had no regard for the opposition nor the players they were being implemented on given their abilities. Overall a really naive 'Arsene Wenger-ish' tactical display today.
I've seen the whole game and still share @berbatrick's impression. City did very well until Bravo's red card, the scoreline is the result of being one man down after that.

Eddy_JukeZ

Why are a bunch of City fans saying they did well when they got slapped 4-0?
They were as good as Barca until they battered them.
Not sure either.

And the red card mention too. The infamous 1-6 game vs City was only 1-0 for City until Evans' red card, but no one mentions that.

City started well, but faded badly.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not sure either.

And the red card mention too. The infamous 1-6 game vs City was only 1-0 for City until Evans' red card, but no one mentions that.

City started well, but faded badly.
Yeah but we have to remember they only lost because their shite keeper got sent off and their dodgy defence made a handful of mistakes. Other than that they were great apparently

Eddy_JukeZ

Yeah but we have to remember they only lost because their shite keeper got sent off and their dodgy defence made a handful of mistakes. Other than that they were great apparently
Yeah haha. Seen the media say the same too.

Odd really.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Just to ruin the hindsight narrative, here's a collection of posts from the MD thread prior to Bravo's send off.
City are doing fairly well here.
City with a nice counter, could have gotten something there.
Barcelona's midfield need to get a grip of the game
City doing a good job of hounding out the Catalan midfield
City are pressing very well so far.
So far it's looked as though City are playing a possession game and Barca are playing on the counter. At the fecking Nou Camp.
Ter Stegan has lobbed it out of play about 4 times already.
Pretty unlucky for City, started the game well until that passage of play.
Great save by ter Stegen.
Can see City getting something out of this.
Yeah, could definitely get a goal or two here.
Otamendi's been outstanding.
City have been pretty good actually apart from an individual error that led to the goal.
Gundogan chance - nice save by ter Stegen
City really should be level.
Good save from Bravo.
Side netting from City.
City have been the better team in last 15 minutes or so.
Sterling did well there. Looks a handball, Digne's hand outstretched.
Well city can count themselves unlucky.
Fascinating game. I wonder if Pep would have been able to impose his style (and what effect) had he taken job at United. City look class.
City can count themselves alongside the likes of Barca, Real, Atletico and Bayern.
1-1 would've been more fair though, City has been unlucky.
I really wish we got Pep Guardiola as manager.

City already look miles better vs Barcelona compared to their past outings against them and it's only been 2 months.
It's really frustrating to watch City play well against Barca - we don't even know when we'll be in CL next.
It's fecking depressing. The fact that most of us(myself included) were happy with a scrappy draw with Liverpool is an indictment of were we are. We've been shite for 3 years and i'm getting frustrated.
There were negative comments as well of course, but something must have gone right for City in the first half.

Eddy_JukeZ

Just to ruin the hindsight narrative, here's a collection of posts from the MD thread prior to Bravo's send off.

There were negative comments as well of course, but something must have gone right for City in the first half.
They played well the 1st half.

I didn't dispute that. They were awful in the 2nd half though. So that to me doesn't equate them having a good game.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
They played well the 1st half.

I didn't dispute that. They were awful in the 2nd half though. So that to me doesn't equate them having a good game.
The post you quoted disputed just that. And many, many other users.

The reality was: Surprisingly good game until early in HT2, Bravo feck up, no chance being one man down and trailing 0-1, simple as that.

cyberman

This forum loves praising City though. Both sides were sloppy in possession but it was seen as City matching Barca rather than it being average quality wise.
Barca have so many of these games in the group stages. Their second half goal tally must be ridiculous over the last few seasons.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
This forum loves praising City though.
That's only half of the truth, as the 3 or 4 busy City/Guardiola threads show. A lot of people simply love to hate them and use the result to rewrite the course of the game as a whole, because it somehow pleases them.

Of course there is knee jerk praise when things go well for City, but my point is that the complete thrashing of Guardiola/City/Bravo when things go wrong is at least as knee jerk. Even more, I'd say.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Little bit of cherry-picking there I think, which I guess is allowed when trying to make your point. As I wrote, I found both teams underwhelming first 45.
Yeah, of course it was, that's why I included that last sentence. The post before your's explains the motives.