Sergio Aguero | Performances

Santoryo

ripping the reward
City got picked apart. No amount of sugar coating will mask that.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
City got picked apart. No amount of sugar coating will mask that.
But, but they played well in the first half when Barcelona had Mascherano playing at fullback and had two first choice defenders went off due to injury.

I get the impression that City fans have simply refuse to acknowledge that their club is pretty big. To have any other reaction than embarrassment when you've lost 4-0 is simply hilarious.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
But, but they played well in the first half when Barcelona had Mascherano playing at fullback and had two first choice defenders went off due to injury.

I get the impression that City fans have simply refuse to acknowledge that their club is pretty big. To have any other reaction than embarrassment when you've lost 4-0 is simply hilarious.
It's funny, this is actually the first time I've seen a set of fans being happy after seeing their team get thumped by a huge scoreline such as 4-0 :lol:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's funny, this is actually the first time I've seen a set of fans being happy after seeing their team get thumped by a huge scoreline such as 4-0 :lol:
I'd be doubly pissed off, first by the scoreline itself and by the fact that there were some opportunities to score at least one goal.

Backfired as badly as his Hart decision did. What was he thinking benching their best player for the biggest game of their season? Just to prove what a genius he is?

Robertd0803

Heres hoping it leads to a massive falling out with Aguero and Guardiola that gets very public and very nasty and is great fun for everyone except City :lol::lol:

I just assumed that he was on the bench because he wasn't fit enough again.

redflair

City are more Matalan than Catalan with that dreadful 'Orange' kit.

Can't they just go back to that nice red and black striped number they used to wear? Really liked that.

It's as if they're trying to replicate Barca in some kind of needy Lynchian pact. Very disturbing.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
4-0 with extra bodies in midfield. Tactical genius.
Their keeper got sent off at 1-down, which was a clown goal to concede too. That changes everything.

I wonder what Messi and co would have done coming up against the likes of Darmian and old man Carrick.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Or more to the point, what JM would have done. Keeping in mind he just played 6 defenders against Liverpool who aint no Barcelona.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Backfired as badly as his Hart decision did. What was he thinking benching their best player for the biggest game of their season? Just to prove what a genius he is?
Pep definitely out-thinks himself with his team selection at times. He benched Muller in the first leg last spring against Atleti as well.

There are actually some similarities to those two decisions. Pep often seems to want two things in big matches - three central midfielders to control the match and real wingers on the flanks who can beat a man off the dribble. But if you have those two things, that only leaves one spot for 9/10 type central attacking players. So Muller or Lewandowski had to sit, as did Aguero or De Bruyne. He is actually quite unusual, in that he places an unusually large amount of weight on implementing the tactical system he thinks is correct for the match, even at the expense of not putting his best players on the pitch.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
:lol:

Unhealthy obsession again.
You tell me what would he have done KM?

Some of the posts in here are hilariously ironic. Nothing to do with an obsession. I make no bones about it I think JM is a collosal flog and clearly I'm not alone in that, even your fellow supporters think that too - it's nothing to do with his ability as a Manager which is not in question (or at least I don't).

If you want to look at unhealthy obsessions read through this thread :lol:

narnar

Needs Help
Their keeper got sent off at 1-down, which was a clown goal to concede too. That changes everything.

I wonder what Messi and co would have done coming up against the likes of Darmian and old man Carrick.
They wouldn't have started.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Apparantly had a problem with staff and was involved in a mini bust up according to twitter. Hilarious if true. Citys 2 best players of the past 5 years and they both on managers wrong books.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
You tell me what would he have done KM?

Some of the posts in here are hilariously ironic. Nothing to do with an obsession. I make no bones about it I think JM is a collosal flog and clearly I'm not alone in that, even your fellow supporters think that too - it's nothing to do with his ability as a Manager which is not in question (or at least I don't).

If you want to look at unhealthy obsessions read through this thread :lol:
C'mon mate. Which other top manager wouldn't get criticized if his team loses 0-4 in a CL Match. Do you think Wenger or Mourinho wouldn't have been destroyed by the media?
He dropped his best player. The keeper he personally wanted dropped a bollock and was responsible for this mess. Managers live and die by their decisions. He is being praised for the resurgence of Sterling so why shouldn't be criticised for this? What would your reaction be if Wenger drops Ozil in a match against Barcelona because he wanted an extra body in midfield?

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
C'mon mate. Which other top manager wouldn't get criticized if his team loses 0-4 in a CL Match. Do you think Wenger or Mourinho wouldn't have been destroyed by the media?
He dropped his best player. The keeper he personally wanted dropped a bollock and was responsible for this mess. Managers live and die by their decisions. He is being praised for the resurgence of Sterling so why shouldn't be criticised for this? What would your reaction be if Wenger drops Ozil in a match against Barcelona because he wanted an extra body in midfield?
I'm not defending any of Guardiola's decisions TBH, my post wasn't about that. It was about the hypocrisy in this thread and in particular the post I originally quoted. You can't win if you don't score though, and when your best player is a CF then you pick them IMO - so I don't personally agree with that decision. Why try a new tactic in a critical game? You can still flood the midfield with Aguero up-top as an outlet.

But like you said the loss was more a result of individual error, especially Bravo's, which I think that is unfair to lay solely at the feet of Guardiola. If Bravo keeps on doing stupid stuff like that then Guardiola should be criticised for supplanting Hart with him instead of someone else.

Based on our history Wenger wouldn't have adapted his side or our tactics so we would have attacked and played our natural game, getting done in the process. He would be criticised by the media and Gooners alike and rightly so.

Edit: spellcheck

Last edited:

kps88

I'm not defending any of Guardiola's decisions TBH, my post wasn't about that. It was about the hypocracy in this thread and in particular the post I originally quoted. You can't win if you don't score though, and when your best player is a CF then you pick them IMO - so I don't personally agree with that decision. Why try a new tactic in a critical game? You can still flood the midfield with Aguero up-top as an outlet.

But like you said the loss was more a result of individual error, especially Bravo's, which I think that is unfair to lay solely at the feet of Guardiola. If Bravo keeps on doing stupid stuff like that then Guardiola should be criticised for supplanting Hart with him instead of someone else.

Based on our history Wenger wouldn't have adapted his side or our tactics so we would have attacked and played our natural game, getting done in the process. He would be criticised by the media and Gooners alike and rightly so.
Everyone critisising Guardiola would have done the same for any other manager so where's the hypocrisy? It's not always fair, but the manager usually takes the blame. Had Jose lost 4-0 at the Nou Camp and dropped Ibrahimovich, the reaction would have probably been ten times worse on here.

djdhrubs

Or more to the point, what JM would have done. Keeping in mind he just played 6 defenders against Liverpool who aint no Barcelona.
By 6 defenders are you talking about back 5 and Fellaini?

If it was Mourinho managing a game against Barca he wouldn't have dropped aguero. The most he'd have done is put an extra body in midfield, probably at the expense of a winger.

To city fans... Has agueros form dipped in recent matches?

CS@SG

By 6 defenders are you talking about back 5 and Fellaini?

If it was Mourinho managing a game against Barca he wouldn't have dropped aguero. The most he'd have done is put an extra body in midfield, probably at the expense of a winger.

To city fans... Has agueros form dipped in recent matches?
I think he was referring the back 4 and the 2 wingers. They formed a flat 6 when defending.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
City is like Trump, the tolerance for some reason is higher than for others. It takes a bit longer until everyone turns against them

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
Get the feck out of here with your match talk . This is a player performance thread. Mods please clean up this place or we'll be stuck with 4-5 pages of irrelevant bullshit. Not even once did they mention Aguero.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Manchester City legends Sergio Aguero and Vincent Kompany face the axe as Pep Guardiola's revolution continues

Blues insiders feel star striker only on the bench for Barcelona loss will go in the summer, while skipper and centre-half was fit but not in the matchday squad
Sergio Aguero is set to be the next high-profile casualty of Pep Guardiola’s ruthlessManchester City revolution, writes David McDonnell in Barcelona .

There is believed to be tension between the pair and fan hero Aguero , whose stoppage-time goal in the last match of the season made the Blues champions back in 2012, faces an uncertain future.

He was left out of the starting line-up for the 4-0 Champions League defeat at Barcelona and only came on late when the game was already lost.

Aguero has scored 11 times in 10 appearances this season, but Guardiola has repeatedly asked for more from the player since taking over in the summer.

While on international duty this month the forward said he is getting used to Guardiola’s demands, but claimed the City boss is “picky about everything ”.
Guardiola claimed the decision to leave out Aguero was a tactical one, to allow him to play an extra midfielder to try to nullify Barca’s famed passing game. But the move failed as City slumped to a humiliating loss.

While the manager insisted Aguero accepted his demotion to the bench with good grace, some at the club are convinced the 28-year-old, signed from Atletico Madrid for £38million in 2011, will be on his way at the end of the season.

Although Aguero is said to have agreed a one-year extension to his current contract with City months ago, no formal announcement has been made.
City will welcome £27million Brazil international striker Gabriel Jesus into the fold in January, with the young Palmeiras sensation set to rival the previously untouchable Aguero for his place.
And with the Blues still tracking Borussia Dortmund frontman Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and monitoring France forward Antoine Griezmann’s situation at Atletico Madrid, the Argentine’s days could be numbered.

City skipper Vincent Kompany is also facing the prospect of being offloaded next summer, after being left out of Guardiola’s 18-man matchday squad to face Barca.

Defender Kompany, who has been blighted by injuries in recent seasons, was said to be fully fit and travelled to Catalonia but Guardiola chose not to involve the experienced 30-year-old.
City's England first-choice keeper Joe Hart is now on loan at Torino after failing to impress Guardiola, France midfielder Samir Nasri is on loan at Sevilla.

Former talisman Yaya Toure is still at the Etihad but has been effectively exiled, making his sole appearance so far this season back in August.

There were reports of a bust up between them yesterday on twitter and some other fan forums. The article is written by David Mcdonnel who is decent to say the least in terms of reliability. Could pep be alienating the squad? Its obvious not everyone will like his methods, add to that aguero's penalty miss, the situation could be tensed.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Times only mention Kompany in headline but i do not have full subscription so cant say if they mention aguero.
The Catalan also controversially started with Sergio Agüero on the bench. City insist that there is no problem between Guardiola and Agüero and it is understood that the club’s top score
r…
This is what the free part of the article states.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Kompany I predicted as soon as Pep was announced as the new hire, along with Nasri, Hart, & Yaya

Kun, really depended on him - Pep is demanding and Aguero isn't accustomed to having a strict coach. Plus, as good as he is and has been, can be very inconsistent. Still think Kun will have every chance to earn his place in the team longterm as I don't read much into his drop at Camp Nou - tactical decisions like these are not related to a falling out per se.

But Kun has been known to be a bit lazy and inconsistent in terms of fitness & focus. Best thing for him & Argentina is to suck it up & deliver but moving from lazy to Pep level is a leap many won't take

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Men on it too. Maybe a leak? or just media jumping on the bandwagon.