Sergio Aguero to retire

Demas

Supports
Chelsea
Sucks for him. I hope he has saved enough so that he or his kids don't have to worry about finances. I always wonder if professional athletes have insurance for something like this (similar to long-term disability insurance for ordinary folks)

It still hurts that Chelsea signed Torres instead of him when it looked like he wanted to come to us. We might have won a few more titles if the roles were reversed

RC89

427 goals? Incredible. An amazing player, and the only thing annoying about him was that he played for City. PL legend for sure.

BarstoolProphet

Nothing but respect for the guy, was a fantastic player. Shame it affected us the most - lost count on how many times he put a dagger in our hearts. Still can't watch that moment against QPR.

Sounds like a sensible decision both from a personal and sporting view. No point risking your health to squeeze out a year or two being injured all the time in a team that has lost its greatness completely.

Nordmore

Feel bad for him. One of the best of his generation.
Yeah I really enjoyed watching when he was at Atletico. Really wished us to buy him back then. Only 30m what a bargain City got.

Maniron

I have huge respect for Aguero and I hope that he can enjoy good health again.

He is definitely a player who you appreciate more when you see him play live. We all know he is a great goal scorer but the work he doe off the ball and how much unselfish work he did really impressed me

padr81

Supports
Man City
Our greatest ever player bar none. Sad to see it end for him how it did, with so many injuries and then this. Will retire with comfortably the best minutes per goal ratio in recorded history in the english top division. Phenomenal player, hope he enjoys his retirement and puts this medical issue behind him. I think he'll stay somewhat popular and active thanks to his twitch fifa exploits. No reason to put himself at further risk.

Classic Aguero that his only goal for Barca was in the classico.

Real Name

Sad to see him retire, health comes first. Absolutely incredible player, PL legend and despite the fact he played for City never disliked the guy, on the opposite.

Golden Nugget

Top player - sad end to his career but he’s won a lot and proved to be one of the best strikers in his generation.

Apart from that goal, one of my other biggest memories of him was when he came with City to Hong Kong for a friendly - I can’t remember if he played or not - but he walked around the pitch, behind the goal where a lot of us United supporters were booing him. He was eating an apple, and waving as we booed him, and took photos with some fans (which no one else did). After that moment I warmed to him and found him hard to hate.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
He’s had a great career. And he’s one player I’ve always been jealous that he wasn’t playing for us.

Is there a reason that his heart issues have come now? Was there no sign of this last season at City or during the summer with Argentina? I’m sure these guys are checked and monitored fairly regularly.

Josh 76

I thought he was overrated when he was at Athletico Madrid. In those days their were strong rumours that Utd were close to signing him.

But my god did he surprise me. What a player he turned out to be. One of, if not, the best strikers I have ever seen.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Real shame but his health is his and his families main priority.

Great forward,though. Always performed in the big games.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
One of the all time PL greats for me. What a finisher he was and rarely did anyone have reason to say anything bad about him. Class through and through.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
One of the all time PL greats for me. What a finisher he was and rarely did anyone have reason to say anything bad about him. Class through and through.
In terms of strikers, surely he's top 3 with Shearer and Henry.

Yeah truly gutted for him. Shame he spent 10 years at City. He might have had a bigger legacy world wide if he spent that time playing for Barca or *whisper it quietly* United.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
An absolute menace and the beginning of the City surge.

Was desperate for us to sign him before them but never mind.
I remember writing an email to the club to tell them to sign Aguero and Berbatov before they had their moves to Atletico and Leverkusen... But SAF must have forgotten to take my advice :lol:

predator

Youth NITK
Sucks for him. I hope he has saved enough so that he or his kids don't have to worry about finances. I always wonder if professional athletes have insurance for something like this (similar to long-term disability insurance for ordinary folks)

It still hurts that Chelsea signed Torres instead of him when it looked like he wanted to come to us. We might have won a few more titles if the roles were reversed
Not sure he has anything to worry about financially tbh.

At City alone let's say he was paid 200k a week during the 10 years he was there.

That's 200k x 52 x 10 = 104 MILLION GBP.

That's just from City and doesn't take into account his earnings from other clubs or sponsors. He's could have hundreds of kids and still support them all.

Anyway, what a player he was. Broke our hearts a few times but was arguably the greatest striker the prem has ever seen, certainly the most consistent if you ask me.

Enjoy retirement.

TheLord

Is he the greatest striker in the Premier League era (goal ratio:0.67)? Perhaps not, but certainly among the very best I've seen in England.

Only Henry managed a better goal:game ratio and only marginally at that (0.68).

Great player. Huge respect.

Irwin99

Outstanding player. Had a horrible habit of always playing well against us.

On a side note why do they get Argentina players who are great and we get guys who can't settle or are absolute morons?

Giggsy13

Great player and arguably retires as one of the top 3 strikers of all time in the premier league era. Of all the great strikes, I will always remember with joy his tears following the champions league final. A wonderful lasting memory.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Behind Shearer and Henry for best striker in the premier league?

FriedClams

Most footballers own extensive amounts of property, both individual and as part of larger groups. Agueros wife is also worth a considerable amount of money owing from her fathers estate. I do not suspect that his family will struggle at all.

TrustInOle

Heartbreaking way to finish what has been a stellar career! Probably one of my favourite ever players from any of our rivals we have and a true legend of the game and will always be remembered for that one defining moment at our detriment. Best decision for him and his family and I hope he stays healthy.

Ananke

He was an absolute beast in the Premier League which was a shame (for us).

The lad just tore defenses up for fun.

Ted Lasso

Feel bad for him. One of the best of his generation.
Shame. At least it came towards the end of his career I guess.
I don't feel bad whatsoever. In fact, the opposite. Aguero is incredibly fortunate and blessed to be calling his own retirement like this after incredible successes. There are all too many cardiac incidents and premature deaths in football and our communities in general.

Not really when you consider his heart diagnosis, he pretty much cannot play without risking his life so why would he?
That's the sentiment I'm sure he and his family have. Maybe there would be more disappointment if this were ten years ago in his career. Instead it's after a career that included becoming a legend for a club. He missed out maybe a few years at the top level but keeps on breathing to be able to spend time with his family. Incredibly fortunate because this could have ended tragically a few months back.

NoLogo

Sorry to hear that. Probably the player I most envied City to have after David Silva. If City still had a striker of prime Agüero quality, I'm almost certain the league wouldn't be as close as it is now.

Maybe his current health problems are also the reason City didn't extend his contract anymore?

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Brilliantly talented player who must have been a nightmare to play against in his absolute prime.

I still haven't seen that goal from 2012

MiceOnMeth

Could have been the best striker of his generation if not for the injuries.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Amazing player. Oddly enough, my hate isn't directed at him for that goal.

It's QPR and Joey Barton who I wish a thousand seasons of pain on for that.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I wish him well in the future. A Premier League legend.

Didn't he have a strong goal-scoring in home games record vs. Liverpool? It felt like when he played in those games and wasn't injured, he always scored in them.