Sergio Ramos

gibers

I too watch and have watched Madrid’s matches. The whole team have a habit of making silly mistakes in ordinary matches but take it to another level in important matches. And for me Ramos is really the big matches man. He is almost always top class in those matches. It’s ridiculous to not acknowledge that he has a big part in Real Madrid’s successful years.
I see so why is madrids record pathetic in classicos since Ramos became a cb. I guess the matches werent seriou. Last season Bayern sliced Madrid up and should have put 5 past Madrid but they couldn't finish.

I guess judging a player on 5 games a season is more important than the other 38 where he embarrasses himself regularly. Any team based on their defence would never have Ramos as a starter.

His main contribution to Madrid are his goals not his defending.

If you make errors in over 85% of your games you are simply not 'world class'.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Ramos is not a 'world class' defender. You bringing up medals he won doesn't all of a sudden make him an elite defender. van Dijk might not win anything this season but the level he is at at this moment is higher than anything Ramos has played in his career.
Sure. But you’d have to be some level of fcuking idiot to think that you can win;

4 La Ligas
4 CL’s
2 European Championships
1 World Cup

Without being World Class. Especially when 4 of those titles came at the expense of the greatest ever club side.

You were talking about Pedro. Now you are talking about Virgil. Why do you need to talk about other players. Are you a teenager?

Do you truly believe that a merely ‘Good’ or ‘Great’ player can collect that trophy haul, as Captain of those sides?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Sure. But you’d have to be some level of fcuking idiot to think that you can win;

4 La Ligas
4 CL’s
2 European Championships
1 World Cup

Without being World Class. Especially when 4 of those titles came at the expense of the greatest ever club side.

You were talking about Pedro. Now you are talking about Virgil. Why do you need to talk about other players. Are you a teenager?

Do you truly believe that a merely ‘Good’ or ‘Great’ player can collect that trophy haul, as Captain of those sides?
He is definitely a World Class player but, he is not the best defender of the last 10 years or so.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
He is definitely a World Class player but, he is not the best defender of the last 10 years or so.
Ok. Who’s your best 5 across the last 10 years.

Not one or two great seasons. 10 years.

Pique is in with a shout. Beyond that... struggle street.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He has played as a defender at Real Madrid since 2005 and has been named in the UEFA team of the season the last 7 years.

It's one thing to say he's not one of the best defenders in the history of the game, a very different one to say he's not world class.
And to this day I still scratch my head every time the TOTY is announced. They say the greatest deception ever done was when the devil convinced the world he didn't exist. I disagree. It was when Sergio Ramos convinced most of the world that he is a world class defender. He is anything but. Like I said, I think he is a very good footballer, but a defender he is not...

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I see so why is madrids record pathetic in classicos since Ramos became a cb. I guess the matches werent seriou. Last season Bayern sliced Madrid up and should have put 5 past Madrid but they couldn't finish.

I guess judging a player on 5 games a season is more important than the other 38 where he embarrasses himself regularly. Any team based on their defence would never have Ramos as a starter.

His main contribution to Madrid are his goals not his defending.

If you make errors in over 85% of your games you are simply not 'world class'.
He was one of the best vs Bayern. But some people won't credit that because they only pay attention to his mistakes.

Negan

Just for a season or two, I would love to see him play for us.

Just an absolute thundercnut who would fit in perfectly at United imo :drool:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Just for a season or two, I would love to see him play for us.

Just an absolute thundercnut who would fit in perfectly at United imo :drool:
That would be my nightmare come true. If United fans can't cope with Jones making the odd mistake they would absolutely lose their shit over how many mistakes Ramos made. Like I said, most over rated defender to ever play the game...

Bokito

I've just realise he has the most red cards in La Liga ever. The most yellows, too. The most carded player in CL history. The most carded player in the history of the Spanish NT, too. 5 sending offs against Barcelona BTW - he should've probably received a red in the most recent Classico, too.
In total an average of close to 2 reds and about 12 yellows a season, apparently.

That's crazy for someone to be considered to be class. Look at all the best defenders in football history (be it recent or longer ago). Most of them were great for being able to get out of situations without emergency break tackles. For Ramos, it seems to be fairly regular to have to kick or punch someone.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I've just realise he has the most red cards in La Liga ever. The most yellows, too. The most carded player in CL history. The most carded player in the history of the Spanish NT, too. 5 sending offs against Barcelona BTW - he should've probably received a red in the most recent Classico, too.
In total an average of close to 2 reds and about 12 yellows a season, apparently.

That's crazy for someone to be considered to be class. Look at all the best defenders in football history (be it recent or longer ago). Most of them were great for being able to get out of situations without emergency break tackles. For Ramos, it seems to be fairly regular to have to kick or punch someone.
He has a high ceiling that is very, very good when on form. But he's also the Spanish Phil Jones that loves a dirty tackle.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
It’s not a very long list, is it? You added two names.

Fair call if you don’t rate him. He’s been every bit as good as those three across a ten year spread though.
Only because you expanded it to 10 years. There is guys like Van Dijk Laporte, Koulibaly who are better now. Plus there is guys like Ferdinand, Vidic, Terry, Lucio, Samuel, Puyol, Pepe, etc who were better at the start of that 10 year period. And there were guys like Kompany, Hummels and Boateng who were better during the middle. Ramos and the three guys I named are the only ones who were good for the entire 10 year period.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Instead of my usual line of questioning in Ramos' related threads, here's another one.

Who is the better defender/player between Ramos and Pique (currently and overall career wise), and why?

Mick321

I dont even get what he was doing, 2-1 up can quickly evaporate. 4-1 then yeah understandable but Ajax should have scored 5 or 6 in the first leg, was that not enough of a warning sign?!

I still like him because of the CL Final but he's disrespected Ajax horribly and let his team down. Total moron.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Not sure why he's being bashed now. Look at that Real line-up. It should have been strong enough to not lose at home against Ajax.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I dont even get what he was doing, 2-1 up can quickly evaporate. 4-1 then yeah understandable but Ajax should have scored 5 or 6 in the first leg, was that not enough of a warning sign?!

I still like him because of the CL Final but he's disrespected Ajax horribly and let his team down. Total moron.
To be fair to him, it was probably the manager/staff who told him to do so.

But I don't wanna be fair to him, so :lol: Adios, Ramos!

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea

It was an act of sheer arrogance and underestimation of the opponent! :D

Which makes this even sweeter if that was possible. I might get diabetes from this!

cyberman

Not sure why he's being bashed now. Look at that Real line-up. It should have been strong enough to not lose at home against Ajax.
Their best defender chose to miss this game and their defence is now all at sea? Ajax should have scored 3/4 themselves in the first leg so God knows why he thought they would be secure enough to step away from the second leg.
All Ajax had to do was score first and the pressure would be on. It was a 1 goal lead after all.

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
That's never how football has worked. Taking an intentional yellow with a one goal lead is pure madness whichever way you look at it.

extincti fugax hominum

It doesn't work like that though. Football is not mathematics. Things can turn around very quickly especially when you underestimate your opponent like Real & Ramos did.

Edit: They missed 5th now :lol:

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
On top of what others have said, he must have also been aware at least that Real has been leaking goals/losing to poor opponents. It makes no sense.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
On top of what others have said, he must have been aware at least that Real has been leaking goals/losing to poor opponents. It makes no sense.
I think expecting his teammates not to lose at home against Ajax was a fair gamble. They didn't have to win, a draw would have been enough. Even a 0-1 loss would have been enough.
Plenty disagree though apparently.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Does show how important he is to Madrid though, they lacked leadership tonight. Getting himself banned was stupid though and it looks even worse now.

Stadjer

Nice to see that his unsportsmanlike behavioir got punished for once.

Now he can even miss the second quarterfinal match instead of just the first :D

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Does show how important he is to Madrid though, they lacked leadership tonight. Getting himself banned was stupid though and it looks even worse now.
Real have had some embarrassing defensive performances with him on the pitch but, then again he was Real's best player in the first leg.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I think expecting his teammates not to lose at home against Ajax was a fair gamble. They didn't have to win, a draw would have been enough. Even a 0-1 loss would have been enough.
To be honest there's a lot of hindsight bias involved now - and I certainly wasn't laughing at him when did it because I didn't think they would be beaten like that.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I don't really get why he went for the yellow card, knowing Real Madrid they would probably get even easier opponent in the next stage.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
With the level of performance the team showed it really doesn't matter. Even if Ramos had made the difference today, the team would have suffered a worse outcome against one the European giants in the next rounds.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Real Madrid have now lost their last three Champions League home games without Sergio Ramos in the squad: 1-3 vs. Juventus (suspended) 0-3 vs. CSKA (not in the squad) 1-4 vs. Ajax (suspended).

He's important to them. Huge gamble to take a deliberate yellow (especially with this year's Real) and backfired massively.