Sergio Ramos / Joins PSG on a free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Would take him in a heartbeat given he'd not just be our best CB but also a fecking leader on the pitch but he'll just renew at Real.
Agree completely.

The only one world class centre back currently alongside VVD in my standard. But our project is not just a 1 year project, we want to win lot of trophies for years and Ramos won't offer that but just short team one year, just get Upamecano instead.
Not that I think we'll get either, but signing Ramos doesn't mean we couldn't sign Upamecano too.

Jones, Bailly and Rojo are (hopefully) on their way out.

City have Dias, Stones, Laporte, Ake and Garcia
Chelsea have Silva, Zouma, Rudiger, Christensen and Tomori

Maguire, Ramos, Lindelof, Upamecano and Tuanzebe with our historic injury problems would be fine, though would be hard to convince Upamecano to come with being a rotation option.

If Ramos were to come here for 2 seasons (no chance), I'd just sign him for the first season then bring in Konate for 2022/23 when he'll have hopefully had an injury-free season for Leipzig.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Would propel us with just sheer mentality and leadership in a way Bruno has further up the field.

Highly doubt this though. Doesn’t seem the type to leave Spain.

croadyman

Would propel us with just sheer mentality and leadership in a way Bruno has further up the field.

Highly doubt this though. Doesn’t seem the type to leave Spain.
Yeah he would bleed Utd like Bruno has done since joining,however like you say I cannot see him ever leaving either

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Would love the magnificent bastard here. He'd instantly be one of the best players at the club. He's also still fit as anyone playing football. Absolute no brainer.
And as @golden_blunder said, it would absolutely piss bin dippers off to no end. Imagine their tears, you could bottle them and sell them.

Sign him up.

Traub

The only one world class centre back currently alongside VVD in my standard. But our project is not just a 1 year project, we want to win lot of trophies for years and Ramos won't offer that but just short team one year, just get Upamecano instead.
Fergie went for the likes of Blanc and Larsson. Ramos will instil the exact winning mentality (and cuntishness) we need.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Saw something in the Evening Standard that Spurs were looking at him.
Jose and Sergio reunited? Interesting...

I’d go make a move for him - he almost certainly only wants a bigger contract renewal so i’m happy to help with that if it screws with Real a little bit. And if he genuinely ís interested in a change...

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
As others have said would be a great CB signing especially on a free and give us that next level of leadership and organisation. But once again I feel he’s using our name to get a better contract at Real Madrid.

macheda14

I mean if Thiago Silva can go and make such an impact at Chelsea aged 36, Ramos can come here for two years.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I mean if Thiago Silva can go and make such an impact at Chelsea aged 36, Ramos can come here for two years.
Definitely I think Silva’s relative success so far has probably softened some people’s obsession with under 30yo players being the only solution.

Kaos

Thiago also has a pacey defender in Zouma next to him. He wouldn't be anywhere near as effective for us when he has defenders as slow as Maguire or Lindelof alongside him.

RUCK4444

Thiago also has a pacey defender in Zouma next to him. He wouldn't be anywhere near as effective for us when he has defenders as slow as Maguire or Lindelof alongside him.
This is true, I would try him next to Bailly or Tuenzebe.

Actually a back three of those three specimens would be a sight to behold, beautiful chaos.

arthurka

Ramos still has a spring in his step. His mentality would help this team no end. Winners and a proper professionals with the youngsters also helps their development, Zouma looks 10x the player with Silva by his side. If there is a chance we should at least try.

RUCK4444

Ramos still has a spring in his step. His mentality would help this team no end. Winners and a proper professionals with the youngsters also helps their development, Zouma looks 10x the player with Silva by his side. If there is a chance we should at least try.
Definitely should try. If he’s available then he’s the best available defender in the world imo.

RUCK4444

We would be idiots not to try to get him.
Yeah for sure, he doesn’t fit Ole’s new player demographic (young and talented) but he would bring bags and bags of proper leadership, he would improve everybody around him.

I think we should go in with a 2 year offer for top wages.

gza the genius

Hypothetically, how would this work? He'd instantly be by far our best CB and along with Bruno the leader in the dressing room so I'm all for it but I don't see who he'd play with. I guess he's not any slower than Lindelof but still, I'd think you'd want a pacy player beside him. Bailly and Tanzuebe are never fit so that doesn't really leave us any options.

RUCK4444

Hypothetically, how would this work? He'd instantly be by far our best CB and along with Bruno the leader in the dressing room so I'm all for it but I don't see who he'd play with. I guess he's not any slower than Lindelof but still, I'd think you'd want a pacy player beside him. Bailly and Tanzuebe are never fit so that doesn't really leave us any options.
Try him next to Maguire, like you say he’s not much slower than Lindelof and is far better than him. With defensive fullbacks in Shaw and AWB it would be fine.

Caicedo in front of them running the show :D

Bwuk

It'd be Ramos and Maguire.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Lindelof isn’t slow and Maguire is rarely caught out by pace. People don’t seem to realise a fast CB is not the be all and end all.

Hanky panky

He will get his 2y contract and end his career in Real Madrid. It was same show few years ago and he was never going to leave Madrid.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Lindelof isn’t slow and Maguire is rarely caught out by pace. People don’t seem to realise a fast CB is not the be all and end all.
I agree with you, and to be honest the pace isn't really an issue as you don't let them goal side, they still have to slow down to try and turn inside.

The issue with Lindelof isn't pace, or passing, it's defensively.

Victor Lindelof (95 Apperances)
Duels Won (%)Interceptions / per gameOwn GoalsTackle SuccessAerial Battles Won (%)Errors leading to goalsFouls / per gameGoals
62%78 / 0.82260%62%166 / 0.693

Harry Maguire (154 Appearances)
Duels Won (%)Interceptions / per gameOwn GoalsTackle SuccessAerial Battles Won (%)Errors Leading to GoalsFouls / per gameGoals
67%261 / 1.69068%72%2135 / 0.889

The fact is, Lindelof doesn't win as many balls in the air, makes far less interceptions per game, has a lesser tackle success and wins 10% less of his aerial battles than Maguire.

Maguire is 7cm taller than Lindelof, but having a slightly taller/faster CB would help those problems, and would result in more goals from attacking corners too.

Lindelof isn't "short" he's 187cm versus 194cm with Maguire, for contrast... Rio was 189cm and Vidic was 190cm.

Van Dijk is 193cm, Upamecano is shorter than Lindelof, Konate is 194cm.

If United got Konate, There's no way United would get beaten in the air, add a top-class CDM into that that can break the line with passing, is physical, fast... United would have one of the best defenses and the best midfields in Europe again.

Not entirely sure on how many aerial duels Upamecano wins, but I know for sure that there is a 8cm height difference between Konate and Upamecano, but Upamecano is a better passer of a football.

"Top Speed" Konate is 0.1 KM/h slower than Upamecano

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.c...konate-and-upamencano-and-how-they-would-help

Both are top defenders, I think Upamecano is a lot better from an attacking perspective and perhaps better rounded, but nobody would get through Maguire and Konate as a pairing.

Last edited:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I agree with you, and to be honest the pace isn't really an issue as you don't let them goal side, they still have to slow down to try and turn inside.

Duels Won (%)Interceptions / per gameOwn GoalsTackle SuccessAerial Battles Won (%)Errors leading to goalsFouls / per gameGoals

Duels Won (%)Interceptions / per gameOwn GoalsTackle SuccessAerial Battles Won (%)Errors Leading to GoalsFouls / per gameGoals

The fact is, Lindelof doesn't win as many balls in the air, makes far less interceptions per game, has a lesser tackle success and wins 10% less of his aerial battles than Maguire.

Maguire is 7cm taller than Lindelof, but having a slightly taller/faster CB would help those problems, and would result in more goals from attacking corners too.

Lindelof isn't "short" he's 187cm versus 194cm with Maguire, for contrast... Rio was 189cm and Vidic was 190cm.

If United got Konate, There's no way United would get beaten in the air, add a top-class CDM into that that can break the line with passing, is physical, fast... United would have one of the best defenses and the best midfields in Europe again.

Not entirely sure on how many aerial duels Upamecano wins, but I know for sure that there is a 8cm height difference between Konate and Upamecano, but Upamecano is a better passer of a football.

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.c...konate-and-upamencano-and-how-they-would-help

Both are top defenders, I think Upamecano is a lot better from an attacking perspective and perhaps better rounded, but nobody would get through Maguire and Konate as a pairing.
Good post but Lindelof is a delayer of attacks not an aggressive defender and it’s exactly what this side needs at the moment. There is a reason we face so few shots relative to the league and a large part of that is down to Lindelof slowing down counters and reducing goal scoring opportunities through positioning and shepherding. Stats won’t pick that up but watching him every single game will if you know what to look for. Maguire should have better stats because he’s the aggressive one and so should be challenging more.

The only fair criticism here for Lindelof is in the air he isn’t the best around but there are very few better at 1-1 delaying an attack to enable the team shape to correct itself and I’ve yet to see any evidence of this not being the case.

His tackle % will be influence more by the fact he makes less tackles due to being a positioning based defender over an aggressive one. Less tackles means more influence for any missed ones.

A better judge of Lindelof is that in 95 games he’s made one error leading to a goal. That’s very good!

People would get through Konate and Maguire to suggest nobody would is silly. But the rest of the post is well written.
Why would you say that? only because he's done this 3 times just to get a better contract at madrid?
I know so cynical

croadyman

Maybe this Caciedo could provide us with someone who is capable of breaking the lines with passing and also is able to offer that physical presence as well, I will grant you that he obviously can't be classed in the top tier of CDM type players but still give us a different dimension in that area.

SplitzMagic

Sergio Ramos is not coming to the prem. It was only a few months ago he was saying Messi needs to stay in La Liga because it's the best league as they win everything.

Spanish teams have dominated the Europa league and champions league which is true.

Why would he move to the prem when he thinks La Liga is superior?

He'll most likely go back to Sevilla or something so he can win some Europa leagues if Madrid don't give him a contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.