Sergio Ramos / Joins PSG on a free

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
There is a fairly big difference between comparing the age and abilities of two top class experienced centre backs and one top class centre forward and a semi decent journey man Premier League robot dancer.
Agreed, I just think both comparisons are irrelevant. The Prem is littered with experienced, previously highly successful signings from overseas. Some are a success, some aren't. But that shouldn't be a factor in deciding whether Ramos would do well

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I admit Peter Crouch was plucked out of the ether - just saying that finding a similarly aged player and using that in your argument is a bit futile. If Silva had struggled would that make the Ramos move a bad one? Clesrly not, as there are so many other factors at play. There's some clear non sequiturs in the reasoning

That said, without feeling the need to mention another player to justify my opinion, I think Ramos would be a good signing
Okay I get it. But what it shows is that an elder player can still come and do the business. Especially in a world where people are reluctant to buy players closer to, and above, 30.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Could be exactly what we need to fill the O’Connell gap.

Brad2020

Too old, spend the money on a CB who will be at United for at least the next 7 years...not 1 or 2 before they head off to the MLS

dinostar77

If we did get Ramos for a season or two it wouldnt be a bad thing (apart for the obligatory 3 or 4 red cards per season). Hes a leader with a win at all cost attitude and a player of vast experience. His experience could be of great benefit to our defenders.

Plus it buys Utd a season or two to see of any CBs around europe really do step their game up to the next level.

People on here were unhappy with us signing Cavani, but hes proving a shrewd signing and will make our forwards (if they listen and learn from him) better players.

For what its worth i think Ramos will stay at Madrid.

If we did get Ramos for a season or two it wouldnt be a bad thing (apart for the obligatory 3 or 4 red cards per season). Hes a leader with a win at all cost attitude and a player of vast experience. His experience could be of great benefit to our defenders.

Plus it buys Utd a season or two to see of any CBs around europe really do step their game up to the next level.

People on here were unhappy with us signing Cavani, but hes proving a shrewd signing and will make our forwards (if they listen and learn from him) better players.

For what its worth i think Ramos will stay at Madrid.
see your point. But you can rotate your attaching options, like we have done with Cavani. I would be worried if he was expected to play every game. I would want a new CB (certainly on his wages) to play every game - that’s where I would differentiate Cavani and his potential transfer.

in terms of him going anywhere, I would be shocked if he doesn’t sign a new contract. He’s not leaving Real.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
We definitely need a couple of nasty characters in the team. He would also toughen up Martial, Rashford and Greenwood whilst training. Ramos would be a good addition if he doesn't require financial parity with Messi and Ronaldo.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
We definitely need a couple of nasty characters in the team. He would also toughen up Martial, Rashford and Greenwood whilst training. Ramos would be a good addition if he doesn't require financial parity with Messi and Ronaldo.
Ramos is an actual battle hardened winner. It would be a major shock for our dressing room. It would be a class short term signing. Can’t help but think our name is being used again.

Okey

If only he weren't using us as a bargaining chip again. He would be an amazing addition to the team for a couple of seasons. Our team lack proven winners. Him and Cavani could help get us over that winning mentality line.

Polar

Don’t think PL is the place for old CBs who have lost a lot of speed.

Ramos and Hummels have never been very fast and have become very slow. I’ve seen their vulnerability exposed several times lately. They are still decent players, but I think they have to play in a league or on a team they know very well to take advantage of their experience. Their second option is to take a step down: MSL, China or smaller teams.

We will never see Ramos in the United shirt. Why does people mention his name and not the name of Gerard Pique’? He is as good as Ramos, one year younger, has a United history and seems like a more sensible man. He is a much better candidate to have onboard as a mentor for two years.

Reactions: Sultan

dinostar77

Don’t think PL is the place for old CBs who have lost a lot of speed.

Ramos and Hummels have never been very fast and have become very slow. I’ve seen their vulnerability exposed several times lately. They are still decent players, but I think they have to play in a league or on a team they know very well to take advantage of their experience. Their second option is to take a step down: MSL, China or smaller teams.

We will never see Ramos in the United shirt. Why does people mention his name and not the name of Gerard Pique’? He is as good as Ramos, one year younger, has a United history and seems like a more sensible man. He is a much better candidate to have onboard as a mentor for two years.
You are joking right? Gerard Pique in the same class of CB as Ramos?

Polar

You are joking right? Gerard Pique in the same class of CB as Ramos?
They’re definitely in the same class. Both have been regarded among the supreme CBs in the world.

Perhaps Ramos is marginally better when you look back on their whole career, but then we are talking about small nuances which definitely isn’t relevant today and for our current discussion.

Acole9

Outstanding
Not falling for this one again. I thought we had a good chance of getting him when van Gaal was manager but ended up signing a new contract at Real Madrid.

Litch

No thanks and shows a complete lack of a coherent transfer strategy other than pleasing adidas in selling a few shirts.

arthurka

If there is a chance we have to try. He is a winner and a master of shithousery. We are far to nice to play against.

Offsideagain

Many things are so reliable, like Bonfire night, Easter, Valentine’s Day and Ramos wanting to get a move to Old Trafford that never comes off because Madrid just cave in and pay him more money. I call it Yaya syndrome.

croadyman

No thank you. Never mind the fact that he is eligible for my old timers league now, but Ramos is horrible. We already have Phil Jones. The last thing we need is a Spanish version of him...
I know this is controversial but wouldn't be averse to it provided we still got a younger quick CB too, however there is absolutely no chance of that happening so will quickly bring myself back to reality

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I know this is controversial but wouldn't be averse to it provided we still got a younger quick CB too, however there is absolutely no chance of that happening so will quickly bring myself back to reality
Ramos is a horrible central defender. I can 100% guarantee that if he were here supporters would turn on him quick. He is a great footballer but quite possibly the most overrated defender in the history of the game. He scores goals and is a good leader, but makes mistakes that would make Phil Jones blush. I didn't want him 4 years ago when he used us to get a new contract and I definitely don't want him now...

Superden

Ramos is a horrible central defender. I can 100% guarantee that if he were here supporters would turn on him quick. He is a great footballer but quite possibly the most overrated defender in the history of the game. He scores goals and is a good leader, but makes mistakes that would make Phil Jones blush. I didn't want him 4 years ago when he used us to get a new contract and I definitely don't want him now...
and yet hes been the main CB / captain at the best club side in the world over the last decade. very overrated.

he has what our squad seriously lacks, massive cojone
and he'd be our best CB to boot.

croadyman

and yet hes been the main CB / captain at the best club side in the world over the last decade. very overrated.

Without any doubt but can see both sides of the argument hence why I could understand it if we were also signing a young CB with the pace to dig Maguire out of the shit as well

Scriblerus

No. He would make Maguire look quick. He's a walking red card. And detestable. The way he took Salah out of the Champion's League final was one of the nastiest things I've seen on a football pitch since two-footed tackles were outlawed. Having spent years hating him I really don't want to have to try to like him as one of ours.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

Doesn't make sense does it? But Real Madrid isn't exactly known for their defending. Mind you, he has been better over the past year or so but no, he would NOT be our best defender. Not even close. He would come in with a big reputation and our supporters would really want to love him, but it wouldn't take long before they start to realize that his actual defending abilities are closer to Phil Jones level than Harry Maguire. The only thing he ads is leadership and the odd goal. As an actual defender he is horrible and quite possibly the most overrated defender to ever play the game...

Superden

Doesn't make sense does it? But Real Madrid isn't exactly known for their defending. Mind you, he has been better over the past year or so but no, he would NOT be our best defender. Not even close. He would come in with a big reputation and our supporters would really want to love him, but it wouldn't take long before they start to realize that his actual defending abilities are closer to Phil Jones level than Harry Maguire. The only thing he ads is leadership and the odd goal. As an actual defender he is horrible and quite possibly the most overrated defender to ever play the game...
dont want to drag this on, but cmon please lets have some sense......making out someone whos won 1 World Cup, 2 European Championships and 4 Champ Leagues, as well countless other titles and been a mainstay in the team of the season from the likes of UEFA for that past decade is somehow a defensive liability, is well childish. yes he can be a real git, but when you think of the career and success he's had, to make out that hes the Spanish Phil Jones (as many international goals as he has world cup and champions league wins, btw Ramos has 23 international goals) is just being contrarian.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
dont want to drag this on, but cmon please lets have some sense......making out someone whos won 1 World Cup, 2 European Championships and 4 Champ Leagues, as well countless other titles and been a mainstay in the team of the season from the likes of UEFA for that past decade is somehow a defensive liability, is well childish. yes he can be a real git, but when you think of the career and success he's had, to make out that hes the Spanish Phil Jones (as many international goals as he has world cup and champions league wins, btw Ramos has 23 international goals) is just being contrarian.
I stick by what I said. He's tricked people for years. Remember, Cleveley won titles too...

We need an rvn

No. He would make Maguire look quick. He's a walking red card. And detestable. The way he took Salah out of the Champion's League final was one of the nastiest things I've seen on a football pitch since two-footed tackles were outlawed. Having spent years hating him I really don't want to have to try to like him as one of ours.
So he took out one of Liverpool's main threats in a final and got away with it...sign the G1t up if he does that every time for us :lol:

Joking aside, too old now to sign for us and probably will be wanting a 2-3 year contract on stupid money (if he's apparently not signing £200k+) - great career, never liked him, would have loved him at United though

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’m totally against this, but then I was against Cavani too so what do I know.

Siorac

I’m totally against this, but then I was against Cavani too so what do I know.
Why is Cavani considered to be a roaring success? Like, seriously. He has five goals in twenty. He's yet to score at Old Trafford. He missed big chances in several big games (PSG, Liverpool, Arsenal - though admittedly this is a bit unfair, he was unlucky against both PSG and Liverpool). I'm not trying to say he's been bad, he's been... decent, exactly what you'd expect from a squad player. On here though... I've even seen someone describe him as "in-form" and that's a weird thing to call a striker who scored one league goal in two months; people regularly say that he makes such a difference when he's playing and I just can't really see that. He's been much better than Martial, sure, but I'm not sure sticking Phil Jones up there would have been any worse than Martial this season.

TL;DR: Cavani is OK but the love he gets is a tad baffling to me.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I'd take him for a short spell BUT:

he gets many red cards;
he's probably playing a game with Real and we'll soon hear they gave him a new contract.

prateik

This is absolutely 100% guaranteed not going to happen.. everyone knows it too..
And on a more general level.. who fecking cares where Ramos goes..
He'll be 35 before the season ends.. yesterday's news..

His only motivation right now is money.. no one should be touching him.

Status
Not open for further replies.