Sergio Ramos / Joins PSG on a free

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlasgowCeltic

Like Cavani, Zlatan and Thiago Silva I doubt it would take many games for him to change the opinion of Prem fans who’ve taken a view on him without ever watching him on a weekly basis

NoPace

Ultimately it comes down to wages and years and the other offers.

First off, he probably stays at Madrid after using PSG, us and an Italian club for leverage to squeeze out less of a wage cut.

Whoscored has him far and away Madrid's best CB and he's on a free. Presumably he'll decline during the 2-3 years he would need us to offer to consider us over Madrid, PSG, Serie A and easy money poor quality league offers outside of Europe.

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/manchester-united-fc/payroll/

If that page is roughly correct, I'd probably hold the line at 2 seasons around 275K per week, since you have to consider that part of the younger guys' like Rashford wages is that their value goes up over time since fees generally go up (though this calculus may change in time due to the state of economics in Europe and growth in GDP and Beckham taxes and climate change and all those variables).

Matching a 3rd year if PSG or someone offers one would scare me. If Ramos declines say 10% next year from this one (or whatever is normal for a 34 year at his stature in the game and conditioning and such, obviously a deep dive analyzing would be done before signing him) he's still probably our best CB and the same decline again in his 2nd season with us but being rested a bit more would still see him being a top 2 CB for us for a 2nd year. 37 feels like it's asking too much for a team that doesn't want to sit deep all the time, but again that's more of a specific case by case question evaluating which of the greats will age like Zlatan/Cristianos and which are Rooneys/Ronaldinhos and in between.

Also of course the 275K a week for 2 years could be spent on an alternate option. If Konate's release clause is indeed 40M and let's say he signs for 150K a week, that's about 13M less in wages that can go towards covering 13 of the 40M to sign him, and then you're looking at Konate +27M vs Ramos and if we project Konate as being 90% as good as Ramos over the next 2 years you take him. Lower than that (or for the #1 CB alternate option, could be anyone really, there's a thread for names here like Kounde and Upamecano and Botman and Skriniar and such) and you're probably best off securing 2 years of high level play and hoping an Axel loan or Mengi growing up can become a starter in 2 years.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If he has the right attitude, I don't mind a two year stint. We need cnuts.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
He does this every time he wants a new contract doesn't he? I can remember at least one time maybe more United have been used in this way.

Polar

Don’t know why some people favour the bad guys or cnuts; like it’s a success criteria to have a cnut. Sounds more like a PR thing.

Plenty of teams who succeed without a bad boy in the team. Maybe more relevant when playing old school football at lower levels.

Ramos will never play for United. We wouldn’t even take him for free.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
How's he doing this year ? We also need a right winger, right back, midfielder. If this signing would help us balance our budget , why not?

croadyman

Would only want him if we could get a fast CB too and can't see us signing two in one summer

romufc

Would actually be the most pointless signing. Isnt a quick CB, so unless he replaces Maguire and we sign one more, I cannot see this working.

Looks like media rumours to either get PSG to make a firm offer or Real to cave and give him a contract.

Either way, we shouldnt really look much into this, will not happen.

croadyman

Would actually be the most pointless signing. Isnt a quick CB, so unless he replaces Maguire and we sign one more, I cannot see this working.

Looks like media rumours to either get PSG to make a firm offer or Real to cave and give him a contract.

Either way, we shouldnt really look much into this, will not happen.
Yeah should only be explored as a bonus signing if he genuinely wanted to leave and we already have secured a fast CB

Bwuk

He’s much better than any of our current CB options.

manuchamp88

Did he lose his pace within the last few years or when he was younger? Cos I remember he got switched from RB to CB while he was still fairly young.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Did he lose his pace within the last few years or when he was younger? Cos I remember he got switched from RB to CB while he was still fairly young.
That's what I'm wondering as well. I haven't watched him play for a few years but I'm surprised there are a lot of people saying that he isn't fast enough. I presume he's lost a fair bit of pace recently, or is it just people thinking that he has because he's getting towards the end?

romufc

I don't think he was lightning quick to begin with. He joined Real very young so they played him at RB to get minutes and experience. Obviously he had the ball playing ability so it was not a problem.

He has good passing ability so was not phased by playing there.

With regards to pace, you kind of expect lack of pace at 34 years of age tbh, still probably quicker than Maguire though.

manuchamp88

I don't think he was lightning quick to begin with. He joined Real very young so they played him at RB to get minutes and experience. Obviously he had the ball playing ability so it was not a problem.

He has good passing ability so was not phased by playing there.

With regards to pace, you kind of expect lack of pace at 34 years of age tbh, still probably quicker than Maguire though.
Got ya. Was he originally a CB not a RB at Sevilla then do you know?

romufc

Got ya. Was he originally a CB not a RB at Sevilla then do you know?
No idea. Its a bit like Tuanzebe or Phil Jones when they started they could play RB because they were good enough on the ball and defensively but not ready to be a CB.

Ramos then moved to CB and became a beast.

manuchamp88

No idea. Its a bit like Tuanzebe or Phil Jones when they started they could play RB because they were good enough on the ball and defensively but not ready to be a CB.

Ramos then moved to CB and became a beast.
Makes sense.

SwedishFish

Will go to PSG or most likely sign a fat new contract with Real Madrid after holding them hostage once again.

Would be a good signing but I'm glad we're not getting dragged in like last time.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Josep Pedrerol is someone that is said to have close links to Florentino Perez so it looks like Ramos is off and they'll be signing someone to replace him.

Last edited:

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Josep Pedrerol is someone that is said to have close links to Florentino Perez so it looks like Ramos is off and they'll be signing someone to replace him.

Se va = he is off.
La gran pregunta es cuando dice que se va y a dónde = The big question is when he will say he's off and the destination.
No veo ninguna posibilidad de que se queda = I see no chance of him staying.

His face says it all.

Traub

Imagine him and Bailly playing together. Two absolute nutters, it would be fantastic.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

Se va = he is off.
La gran pregunta es cuando dice que se va y a dónde = The big question is when he will say he's off and the destination.
No veo ninguna posibilidad de que se queda = I see no chance of him staying.

His face says it all.
I still think that is very strange that he is leaving.
For being the captain, without being in doubt( very strange being 35 years old), because Modric, his great friend in the team, has accepted a renewal with less money, and for being a bit like a money grabber traitor, which apparently criticized from Cristiano.
His personal circumstances don't suit either.
Such a popular figure in Spain and ending up abroad and leaving in the middle of a pandemic for money.

As Pedrerol says he will have the doors open but perhaps he is forcing too much and he will end up crushed like Iker.
That seems to be what Pedrerol suggests at the end, "Ramos, accept two years with the discount and then tell the president to take care of you"

Perhaps Ramos is right, since the club is saving money for Mbappé or offering too much to Alaba

Polar

Let’s just stop linking Ramos and United. It wouldn’t happen. Absolutely sure, and I’m very very happy with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.