Sergio Ramos / Joins PSG on a free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

He's 35, only interested in money and doesn't have the legs to cover Maguire, he'd organize the back 4 better as he's a proper leader but he's an awful fit with the undroppable captain and it's the epitome of short term planning, hopefully he goes to PSG where he can cruise through a couple of easy seasons to finish his career with 2 more league medals.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Congratulations to the club buying him, whichever it is. His ego so big he's gonna get them a CL next season just to prove how wrong Florentino was.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Got ya. Was he originally a CB not a RB at Sevilla then do you know?
Played both positions in Sevilla, he was seen as polivalent. He played more often as RB though, because of Alfaro and Javi Navaro. When he signed for Madrid he played only as CB his first season.

Then, under Capello and Schuster he started to play more as a RB again, not just there necessarily.

And when Mourinho took charge he said he preferred Ramos as CB.

Here you can see him as CB at Sevilla against his current coach:

Last edited:

Robertd0803

The story about Madrid signing Pau Torres while we sign Ramos wouldnt surprise me in the slightest if it turned out to be true.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I would take him but we still need to sign one more though.

Ramos,Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly, new defender. Would fit in nicely.

Teja

Anything concrete to these rumors? I think our transfer game recently has been pretty alright after getting burned by Falcao / ADM / Sanchez / Schweinsteiger etc.

If you look back at the past two windows, we've got:

VdB, Telles, Cavani, Maguire, AWB, Bruno, James, Fred, Dalot.

I think most have slotted in pretty well, the only big misses are James + Dalot. Rest are at the very least solid top four quality.

manuchamp88

Played both positions in Sevilla, he was seen as polivalent. He played more often as RB though, because of Alfaro and Javi Navaro. When he signed for Madrid he played only as CB his first season.

Then, under Capello and Schuster he started to play more as a RB again, not just there necessarily.

And when Mourinho took charge he said he preferred Ramos as CB.

Here you can see him as CB at Sevilla against his current coach:

What a strike and what game in general he had against one of the great Real Madrid teams. Looks like he was playing left centre-back too, playing alongside a young Dani Alves notably. Commentators were waxing lyrical about him by the way. No wonder Madrid snapped him up.

Random thing to note, but I could swear we didn't have 'digital' billboards in the Prem at that time? Looks like Spain was ahead of us on that.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I still think that is very strange that he is leaving.
For being the captain, without being in doubt( very strange being 35 years old), because Modric, his great friend in the team, has accepted a renewal with less money, and for being a bit like a money grabber traitor, which apparently criticized from Cristiano.
His personal circumstances don't suit either.
Such a popular figure in Spain and ending up abroad and leaving in the middle of a pandemic for money.

As Pedrerol says he will have the doors open but perhaps he is forcing too much and he will end up crushed like Iker.
That seems to be what Pedrerol suggests at the end, "Ramos, accept two years with the discount and then tell the president to take care of you"

Perhaps Ramos is right, since the club is saving money for Mbappé or offering too much to Alaba
How good has he been this season? Maybe he feels he is starting to struggle and wants to move to an easier league (PSG in France) because he still wants to continue playing.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
You tell me why you are.
It's a fact, it doesn't have anything to do with myself.

Ramos has a big ego, same as Cristiano. That's not a bad thing to have in football, it makes you quite successful. Some of the best sportsmen ever had a huge ego and it served them well.

croadyman

IF he actually left Real would only take him provided we still got a fast CB option too

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
IF he actually left Real would only take him provided we still got a fast CB option too
I'd take him on a free if United could then Pursue Haaland and Sancho whilst offloading Martial and Pogba.

Even if it means no CDM for a year

croadyman

I'd take him on a free if United could then Pursue Haaland and Sancho whilst offloading Martial and Pogba.

Even if it means no CDM for a year
Would be surprised if Dortmund let both go in the summer, if Haaland moved this year then clubs will have to pay £100m+ for him whereas when the release clause activates he will be around £70m. Think it will be tough to offload Pogba/Martial this year due to potential suitors being hit hard by COVID

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Would be surprised if Dortmund let both go in the summer, if Haaland moved this year then clubs will have to pay £100m+ for him whereas when the release clause activates he will be around £70m. Think it will be tough to offload Pogba/Martial this year due to potential suitors being hit hard by COVID
Agree 100% it's why I want Sancho to move this year, and praying that Haaland stays an extra year.

Although it's worth noting Raiola only cares about money.

The year that Ibra, Pogba, Mkhitaryan moved he was given a big bonus if he got them all to United.

He could essentially be told to get a good fee for Pogba, and get Haaland and he would get a nice bonus.

Of course I don't see it happening.

I would take Ramos for a year though if the right CB wasn't available, and it meant strengthening the CDM, RW and CM spot (on Pogba leaving)

then getting the CB and ST the following year.

Haaland is essential for obvious reasons.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Never liked this guy, zero interest in seeing him coming to United.
If he came he would of course get my full support.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ramos should seek his last pay cheque elsewhere. I'd suggest Inter.

Red_toad

Already been played by him and his agent prior to his last renewal. It’s a pass from me, he can join PSG, would be a much better fit for him.

Raredaredevil

He is a serial winner. I think he would do well here contrary to many who think he would end up like our past flops. I see him like a Zlatan and Cavani type signing. A leader and a winner, he would organize our defence and improve us massively. Similar to a Thiago Silva type signing for Chelsea. You don't become one of Real Madrid's all time great players and captains by being an average player. Crazy how people are refusing him. I'm all in for him.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
How good has he been this season? Maybe he feels he is starting to struggle and wants to move to an easier league (PSG in France) because he still wants to continue playing.
I've seen him well. The team sometimes collapsed when he wasn't there, because of his influence or because of Varane / Militao.
I don't think any fan has complained about his performance or age, not like Raúl and Iker in the past or Marcelo nowadays

Raredaredevil

I've seen him well. The team sometimes collapsed when he wasn't there, because of his influence or because of Varane / Militao.
I don't think any fan has complained about his performance or age, not like Raúl and Iker in the past or Marcelo nowadays
Why did his contract renewal with Real Madrid break down? I can't imagine him asking for a ridiculous salary considering he already know he is at the twilight of his career and being a club legend, I'd have thought he loves Real Madrid. It's kind of sad to see all these Real Madrid legends never ending their career at Real Madrid, or at least leave on good terms.

House Mkhitaryan

Now that it appears RM won't keep him, I'd love to see United use him as a decoy signing to sign someone younger. String him along all summer with no intention of signing him.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Please tell me we haven’t reliably been linked with him.
I rate him highly unlike some others here, but with our present CB problems / unbalance we really don’t need an old CB new to the league on astronomical wages.

cyberman

Now that it appears RM won't keep him, I'd love to see United use him as a decoy signing to sign someone younger. String him along all summer with no intention of signing him.
Id argue we desperately need experience and he would also help with our problem of only conceding fecking headed goals

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Id argue we desperately need experience and he would also help with our problem of only conceding fecking headed goals
Agreed, look at his champions league trophies, his league trophies, you want a player like that.

RUCK4444

Get him! No brainer imo.

Other than Bruno we don’t have a single ounce of leadership on the pitch, which largely contributes to our weak mentality on the pitch.

The manager can only do so much, once your on that pitch it’s on the players to assert themselves and we severely lack leaders.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I in no way think this will happen but anyone looking at the centre of our defence at the moment who doesn't think Ramos would have a huge effect on it is having a laugh.

RUCK4444

I in no way think this will happen but anyone looking at the centre of our defence at the moment who doesn't think Ramos would have a huge effect on it is having a laugh.
Yeah exactly. Absolutely no brainer.

I would be all over it, he knows we've tried for him previously which hopefully holds some weight. He won't be a long term solution but if we can get him cheap (free?) and pay him chunky wages for a few seasons I think he would be an outstanding addition to the team in that time.

I have a feeling he will opt for an easy league and go the PSG route though unfortunately. Perhaps Juventus? They love a cheap bargain.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Why did his contract renewal with Real Madrid break down? I can't imagine him asking for a ridiculous salary considering he already know he is at the twilight of his career and being a club legend, I'd have thought he loves Real Madrid. It's kind of sad to see all these Real Madrid legends never ending their career at Real Madrid, or at least leave on good terms.
They offer him two years, with a 10% reduction of his current salary.
Ramos considers that the squad have already made an effort reducing a 10% due to the covid, which could be 20%. From that moment there were many leaks to the press from both sides.

Apparently Ramos communicated the PSG offer to the president and he replied "good for you"
Ramos later liked comments on Instagram about how badly the club treats its legends.
In other circumstances, he would surely have a loyalty bonus, what used to be called a "lifetime contract" for Salgado, Sanchís, Raúl, etc., but right now the club is very bad financially.
@mazhar13 shared a good article a while ago that treats all of that quite well
https://theathletic.com/2303032/2021/01/09/madrid-ramos-football-soccer/

bsCallout

On a free, I'd take him, no problem. We can use our funds on all the other positions we need players for.

Again it depends who we can get. If we can get Halland then I wouldn't prioritise buying a CB. If we could get Pau Torres and not Halland then I'd rather get Torres now rather than Ramos.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Apparently Ramos communicated the PSG offer to the president and he replied "good for you"
Ramos later liked comments on Instagram about how badly the club treats its legends.
Ah, the small time drama I love so much about Real :D

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Ah, the small time drama I love so much about Real :D
:D well yes, it would not be so funny.
Now I hope that Ramos will talks after the next match with something like "no one can doubt my commitment. This is my house, etc"

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Thanks.

How fast is he these days? There's quite a few people in here saying he's not fast enough, so I'm wondering if he slowed down a lot as he's gotten older or is it just people in here thinking an older player is going to be slow? I haven't really watched you guys play for the last few years.

Last edited:

manutddjw

He’s still a good player who’d bring a winning mentality which is extremely lacking in our current squad. One has to look at Varane’s form without Ramos to see the impact he has at organizing and covering his partners. He would be a great addition to the squad.

It wasn’t long ago people were laughing at the idea of Zlatan and Cavani for us and Thiago Silva for Chelsea. All the same things were said in their respective threads; too old for the Premier League, looking for a last pay day and coming from either a farmers league or a 2 team league and look at their impact. Just because a player is over 30 doesn’t mean they’re finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.