Sergio Ramos / Joins PSG on a free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy_JukeZ

He was excellent last season.

Wouldn't be a bad move on a free in this current climate.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
He’s still a good player who’d bring a winning mentality which is extremely lacking in our current squad. One has to look at Varane’s form without Ramos to see the impact he has at organizing and covering his partners. He would be a great addition to the squad.

It wasn’t long ago people were laughing at the idea of Zlatan and Cavani for us and Thiago Silva for Chelsea. All the same things were said in their respective threads; too old for the Premier League, looking for a last pay day and coming from either a farmers league or a 2 team league and look at their impact. Just because a player is over 30 doesn’t mean they’re finished.
But equally you’ve only picked examples of players who were relative successes. You could equally point to players like Schweinsteiger. That said, I think your defence is in desperate need of an organiser.

croadyman

He’s still a good player who’d bring a winning mentality which is extremely lacking in our current squad. One has to look at Varane’s form without Ramos to see the impact he has at organizing and covering his partners. He would be a great addition to the squad.

It wasn’t long ago people were laughing at the idea of Zlatan and Cavani for us and Thiago Silva for Chelsea. All the same things were said in their respective threads; too old for the Premier League, looking for a last pay day and coming from either a farmers league or a 2 team league and look at their impact. Just because a player is over 30 doesn’t mean they’re finished.
Yeah there is no doubt about that but my only worry is the lack of pace in that partnership with Harry, mind you if he is commenting on an offer from PSG then sounds like he has made up his mind to go there anyway

OmarUnited4ever

For a defender, he is as prolific as they come, I mean look at the numbers below: -

International: 170 appearances, 21 goals (1 WC & 1 EC)
UEFA club competition: 134 appearances, 16 goals (4 UCL titles)
Domestic competition: 576 appearances, 80 goals ( 5 La Liga titles and 2 Copa del Rey titles)

He is 35 in April this year, and what made him an excellent CB for Madrid beside his aggressive tackling and his ability on the ball is his Athleticism, would he still be able to keep up with EPL forwards? would he still have the same pace & power? not really sure.

But if we assume he is still physically capable to a certain degree, then he would be an astute acquisition, with his leadership qualities, assuming we do not offer crazy wages and it is for the short term, perhaps our defenders can learn a thing or two from him.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
do not want. Great player but like schwienstieger the current version of him wont suit the league or our team.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Thanks.

How fast is he these days? There's quite a few people in here saying he's not fast enough, so I'm wondering if he slowed down a lot as he's gotten older or is it just people in here thinking an older player is going to be slow? I haven't really watched you guys play for the last few years.
Sorry for the delay. At least recently you haven't missed much by not watching us. Actually it is difficult to answer. I guess it's not something I look at in matches.
I see him well but it is also true that it is a bit misleading to assess this until a real match with an important rival.
However he has recently had an operation for knee pain and will be away for a couple of months.

GoldanoGraham

This is never going to happen.......we’ve moved on from these kind of signings.....

we need someone with pace who has years ahead of him.....Ramos today is not the Ramos of old.

we are being used (again) to bolster his contract negotiations with RM or to get a better deal at the likes of PSG.

Im not surprised RM are being much more cautious dishing out big final contracts when they see the mess Barca have gotten into

croadyman

Would still take him despite the age but expect him and Varane will get the deals at Real they want in the end

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Would take Sergio in a heart beat. He would have the same effect as Bruno. I’d fancy us to win any competition if he comes in.

croadyman

Would take Sergio in a heart beat. He would have the same effect as Bruno. I’d fancy us to win any competition if he comes in.
Yeah same here but everything reported by Whitwell suggests we aren't interested at all

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yeah same here but everything reported by Whitwell suggests we aren't interested at all
Maybe we’re playing this one close to our chest as we’re weary of what happened last time. Us chasing him and him eventually signing the contract.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Why would anybody want him here? I thought we were done with those past-it-yet-still-famous footballers?

RUCK4444

Why would anybody want him here? I thought we were done with those past-it-yet-still-famous footballers?
He’s an incredible CB with brilliant leadership and experience that our squad severely lacks.

Short term contract would make this a no brainer. Except he will stay at Madrid (again) because they know his value to their team.

romufc

Agreed. This is us falling back into the same trap we did 5/6 years ago.

Ramos would want a 2/3 year bumper contract.

Will he care if we dont win titles? probably no considering what he has won.

Is he the CB we need to pair with Maguire? No, we need someone with pace.

croadyman

Because I don't think he's past-it?
Yeah me neither but also think concerns about his pace are more than valid, having said that I still think an outfield spine of Ramos, Pogba, Bruno & Haaland would be seriously mouth watering but know it won't happen in a million years.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Understandable he has been omitted from the Spanish squad, he has been unavailable for the business end of the season for Real Madrid.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Interesting squad from Enrique.
Garcia, Adama Troare and Pedri involved.

Dan_F

Understandable he has been omitted from the Spanish squad, he has been unavailable for the business end of the season for Real Madrid.
It would be if he wasn’t taking Garcia, who I don’t think has even started 15 games in the Premier League in his career. He can claim it’s building for the future, but it seems like he doesn’t want that big of a personality/influence in the dressing room.

Weird seeing Traore in there. I wouldn’t have him even close to getting in the England squad.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah, very strange decision. Did I read it right that Saul is also not included?

Bwuk

Yeah, very strange decision. Did I read it right that Saul is also not included?
Doesn't look like it.

Mistake not to take Ramos who could be a leader off the field imo. You can't teach leadership and winning mentality like he has.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Doesn't look like it.

Mistake not to take Ramos who could be a leader off the field imo. You can't teach leadership and winning mentality like he has.
Yeah, I couldn't agree more.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
A few months ago he played a few minutes with Spain to get one more captaincy and got injured .
He played for hierarchy against Chelsea when he was not prepared and has been off-center all season by the renewal, which I suspect lengthened to a point of almost no return for his documentary, since it's about the renewal.
I adore him but I'm glad he's staying at home

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
A few months ago he played a few minutes with Spain to get one more captaincy and got injured .
He played for hierarchy against Chelsea when he was not prepared and has been off-center all season by the renewal, which I suspect lengthened to a point of almost no return for his documentary, since it's about the renewal.
I adore him but I'm glad he's staying at home
Just watched his documentary. The fella is an absolute monster the dedication he puts in. No chance he's leaving Spain but I'd take him here in a heartbeat. He's going to be very very hard to replace at Madrid when he does finally hang up his boots. Legend hardly does him justice.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Just watched his documentary. The fella is an absolute monster the dedication he puts in. No chance he's leaving Spain but I'd take him here in a heartbeat. He's going to be very very hard to replace at Madrid when he does finally hang up his boots. Legend hardly does him justice.
Apparently the club has retired his offer and is preparing a farewell so maybe you have options, although I imagine that City / PSG will already be attentive.
Yes, he is going to leave a pretty big void, he was a great captain

croadyman

Yeah despite the age and lack of pace he is in joint first of my dream CB targets with Marquinhos but not a chance of either whereas with Varane IF we are prepared to push the boat out then feel there is a slim possibility

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Apparently the club has retired his offer and is preparing a farewell so maybe you have options, although I imagine that City / PSG will already be attentive.
Yes, he is going to leave a pretty big void, he was a great captain
Seems a great family man and was dropping hints in his documentary that all the travelling he's done is taking away valuable time with his children which is why I can't see him going to a different country. Maybe do a Zidane. Take a couple of years away from football back to Sevilla and come back as manager. It might just work.
Yeah despite the age and lack of pace he is in joint first of my dream CB targets with Marquinhos but not a chance of either whereas with Varane IF we are prepared to push the boat out then feel there is a slim possibility
Ramos would eat the PL alive. He's a bit like Mourinho. He's a cnut but when he's our cnut he'd become a firm favourite fast. He's still got a few years to give at a top level and he'd definitely be my number one CB acquisition. Varane is a fantastic player and don't ask me why but I just get the feeling he wouldn't be the answer to all our problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.