Sergio Reguilón

Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We have FBs that can defend but our FBs are lacking on the attacking end. The modern FB can do everything. Other than James we don’t have any wingers. Greenwood is a striker playing out of position on the right and Rashford has a tendency to cut inside.

Look at the way city and the scousers attack and compare that to ours. We’re one dimensional and don’t have any width. We are in need of a proper attacking FB.
Why would we compare to the scousers? They play 3 carthorses in midfield to cover for their fullbacks being given license to attack.

We on the other hand have been playing Bruno and Pogba in midfield which is why “normal” fullbacks suit us more

Valencia Shin Crosses

Why would we compare to the scousers? They play 3 carthorses in midfield to cover for their fullbacks being given license to attack.

We on the other hand have been playing Bruno and Pogba in midfield which is why “normal” fullbacks suit us more
Yes but Liverpool would be much better if they had a Bruno or similar high work-rate player that was more creative than what they have, as they struggled to break teams down that sat back against them because of this. Let's not act like Liverpool are a perfect team or this is exactly how Klopp wanted to play, as I'm sure he would like to have more creativity from his midfielders but doesn't have that option.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This is exactly what you will find with 95% of these 'attacking fullbacks.' They are effectively wingers pretending to be fullbacks.

There are some who are very good at the role I'm sure, but when I say 'some' I mean 'very f*cking few exist'
This..

When you sacrifice defensive stability for goals then the fullbacks are gonna leave gaps which can be exploited. We have to think positive and impose our game on the opposition which means the fullbacks are gonna be doing alot more attacking than defending. The fullback in todays game is the winger that provides width at clubs who adopt a proactive approach.

What we need to think about here is if the two CBs and DM is good enough to provide defensive balance in isolation in such a approach. Solskjaer implemented a very high risk, aggressive high press at Molde with success. He needs the tools to do it at United now and the fullbacks are very important in the attacking sense if he is to be successful. I don't know alot about the player in question, but from what i've read about him, he definitely fits the profile.

Giggsy13

Which is why the scousers are targeting Thiago to add a different dimension to their attack.

We can’t rely on Bruno and Pogba to save us every time in the course of a season. Having a FB or winger who can actually deliver a decent cross and provide something different on the attacking end is definitely needed to add some balance to our attack.

golden_blunder

Staff
Yes but Liverpool would be much better if they had a Bruno or similar high work-rate player that was more creative than what they have, as they struggled to break teams down that sat back against them because of this. Let's not act like Liverpool are a perfect team or this is exactly how Klopp wanted to play, as I'm sure he would like to have more creativity from his midfielders but doesn't have that option.
He’s obviously playing to the strengths of the squad he currently has. But if he had 2 creative midfielders who like to get forward he probably wouldn’t give as much license to his fullbacks.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Exactly.

I don't think people realise how exposed Liverpools flanks would be without them.

CG1010

He’s obviously playing to the strengths of the squad he currently has. But if he had 2 creative midfielders who like to get forward he probably wouldn’t give as much license to his fullbacks.
With Fergie we always played with width both with wingers and full backs. Right now with two inside forwards we have no width at all and our full backs are mostly average (in case of shaw) to terrible (in case of AWB) in terms of an attacking threat. We desperately need atleast one attacking FB especially against lower teams so that spaces open up for others.

Would it be so gung-ho? With SAF we used to play 2 man midfield with Scholes in it but still had Evra bombing up and down the wing.

Giggsy13

With Fergie we always played with width both with wingers and full backs. Right now with two inside forwards we have no width at all and our full backs are mostly average (in case of shaw) to terrible (in case of AWB) in terms of an attacking threat. We desperately need atleast one attacking FB especially against lower teams so that spaces open up for others.

Would it be so gung-ho? With SAF we used to play 2 man midfield with Scholes in it but still had Evra bombing up and down the wing.
This, 100 fecking percent.

cyberman

Sir Alex played with Brown at RB on 08 and Jones or Smalling after that. He never played with 2 attacking FB. Hell Neville made a career of backing Beckham up rather than attacking himself. He even evolved into playing Rooney and Park wide taking away our width altogether

CG1010

Sir Alex played with Brown at RB on 08 and Jones or Smalling after that. He never played with 2 attacking FB. Hell Neville made a career of backing Beckham up rather than attacking himself. He even evolved into playing Rooney and Park wide taking away our width altogether
Yes, and therefore I said one attacking full back?

And Rooney and Park played wide occassionally for tactical reasons mainly while we have Rashford and Greenwood there all the time who are more inside forwards. I don't really find that to be an issue as football has moved on from wingers to players playing the 'half' positions. But we do need an attacking FB to bring the balance in our team. Simple.

Edit: And SAF also played Rafael there who was quite attack minded himself. So there you go.

cyberman

Yes, and therefore I said one attacking full back?

And Rooney and Park played wide occassionally for tactical reasons mainly while we have Rashford and Greenwood there all the time who are more inside forwards. I don't really find that to be an issue as football has moved on from wingers to players playing the 'half' positions. But we do need an attacking FB to bring the balance in our team. Simple.

Edit: And SAF also played Rafael there who was quite attack minded himself. So there you go.
But Shaw is every bit attacking as Evra was?
Even Valencia had his attacking instincts beaten out of him the longer he played back there

DevilRed

I've been saying it for 5 years+ now.

If Shaw can sort out his crossing, he would be the complete left back. Possibly the best in the world.

Evra won't be mistaken for roberto carlos, but he could put in a decent delivery from time to time.

CG1010

Hardly.. I am quite sure positionally he tends to stay back more. In fact this same forum used to call him defensive full back not very long ago. Its only in recent bunch of games he has linked up with Rashford rather well and produced a few moments. But even with him bombing forward, teams are less scared of him as he is not likely to produce threatening moments as much as Evra could. And I don't mean direct assists with crosses (Evra and Shaw are both quite terrible at it) but constantly getting behind defensive lines, going towards the opposition touchline, bombing into box etc. Shaw is ok but not very good at it. Plus his recovery his rather poor.

izec

Regulon on on
He is not injury prone
Regulon on on
You blink and he is gone

Play him left, Jadon right
We muppets deserves our night
He's class, so is his lass
And he is not made of glass
excellent:lol: got to love the Shaw digs

golden_blunder

Staff

Scholes could sit and usually had either carrick or keane protecting him

Btw AWB is not terrible.

CG1010

Scholes could sit and usually had either carrick or keane protecting him

Btw AWB is not terrible.
Terrible in attacking contribution. That's why most teams give him all the space in the world and yet he rarely creates anything out of it.

Ekeke

We also played with 2 strikers a lot, when we needed a goal he'd bring another 2 off the bench.

Scholes + Keane / Scholes + Carrick were much better ball winners than Pogba and Matic and also better than Matic and Fred if we went with the ball winning options. Also far better on the ball of course.

We played with 2 outside wingers, now we play with strikers who start out wide and then come inside condensing the space and a striker who isnt the best at getting on the end of crosses.

Most importantly to what we're talking about, we had great CBs who didnt need the help of their fullbacks and a "DM" - As Carrick was far more than that

Ekeke

Terrible in attacking contribution. That's why most teams give him all the space in the world and yet he rarely creates anything out of it.
Valencia used to have all the space in the world too, both as a winger and a fullback. Its due to how we play focusing buildup on the left then switching the ball to the right where the space is and having players who cover great distance.

golden_blunder

Staff
4 assists in his first season is a decent start. More than Pogba. More than Williams & Shaw combined. With limited support on the right

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The below quote covers it + I think he had more chances created than Chilewell? Can't remember though.
4 assists in his first season is a decent start. More than Pogba. More than Williams & Shaw combined. With limited support on the right

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
His girlfriend literally looks twelve, I find it so disconcerting how attracted people are to her.

I hope we sign him though, seems like a good player. Hope his signing doesn't herald the end of a Sancho pursuit either (though it most likely does).

ChaddyP

His girlfriend literally looks twelve, I find it so disconcerting how attracted people are to her.

I hope we sign him though, seems like a good player. Hope his signing doesn't herald the end of a Sancho pursuit either (though it most likely does).
Not every poster in here is 40 years old Tbf.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Where have they said this? We need to start finding the actual source rather than posing these aggregate accounts like “UtdReport” who just twist things or take them out of context for the sake of RT’s. They are actually banned if you look at the OP. They never post the source just reference it as though it’s a breaking headline when it never is.

SmallCaine

How does a 25mn signing lead to end of a 120mn pursuit?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Where have they said this? We need to start finding the actual source rather than posing these aggregate accounts like “UtdReport” who just twist things or take them out of context for the sake of RT’s. They are actually banned if you look at the OP. They never post the source just reference it as though it’s a breaking headline when it never is.
In this tweet

This injury could disrupt Florentino Pérez's plans with the footballer in the face of the transfer market, and in a way it could even 'benefit' Sevilla, since some of the main English bidders, with Manchester United at the head, could take behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.