Sergio Reguilón

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You’ve basically just repeated your previous post which I replied to?
Again, I’m talking about defensive cover when the fbs push up, when Matic isn’t playing or when he is and is tired, we do not have the personnel that cover those vacant FB spots.
Whether OGS said they need to get forward more or not isn’t the point here? Unless you’re agreeing that the reason he doesn’t get forward enough is because he is concerned of the gap he will leave behind.
Either way, thanks for sharing.
The reason I had to repeat my post was because he (AWB) is asked to go forward especially after the restart. The issue isn't defensive cover because Solskjaer wants to play a high risk game. The issue is that fullbacks in the game today are wingers who start closer to the half-way line in offensive transition which is what Solskjaer wants from his fullbacks. And for us to be succesful in such a approach our fullbacks need to be strong technically and I don't believe AWB is which is why opponents leave him unmarked and he more often than not turns the ball over or plays safe.

Mark Pawelek

The reason I had to repeat my post was because he (AWB) is asked to go forward especially after the restart. The issue isn't defensive cover because Solskjaer wants to play a high risk game. The issue is that fullbacks in the game today are wingers who start closer to the half-way line in offensive transition which is what Solskjaer wants from his fullbacks. And for us to be succesful in such a approach our fullbacks need to be strong technically and I don't believe AWB is which is why opponents leave him unmarked and he more often than not turns the ball over or plays safe.
Maybe we'll see Williams there some matches next season?

Reguilón called up to Spanish national squad. Hoping that means we get him

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Maybe we'll see Williams there some matches next season?

Reguilón called up to Spanish national squad. Hoping that means we get him
The genuine hope is that Ethan Laird can stay injury free and challenge Wan Bissaka for a spot at RB. I'm personally not a big fan of Williams.

Last edited:

dutchred

The genuine hope is that Ethan Laird can stay injury free and challenge Wan Bissaka for a spot at RB. I'm personally not a big of Williams.
Laird is the real deal if he stays fit. Williams can cover at right back together with AWB. I hope we get Either Reguilon or Telles and use Shaw as alongside Maguire as a Left Central Defender. He can cove for the left back and if he gets injured we have Lindelof and Tuanzebe.
I dont think we will get Sancho this year so I would go for Brooks and trade Dalot and Romero with some cash for Grealish. Grealish could cover for both Pogba and Bruno. Brooks and Greenwood could cover each other.
Without spending too much money we could have
de Gea(Henderson)
Laird (Williams/ AWB) Maguire (Bailly) Shaw (Tuanzebe/Linndelof) Telles or Regulion(Shaw)
Matic (Fred/ Scot)
Bruno(Grealish) Paul (Grealish)
Greenwood ( Brooks) Martial (Odion) Raskford (James)

Get rid of
Rojo
Jones
Dalot
Romero
Andreas
Jesse
Mata

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
trade Dalot and Romero with some cash for Grealish
I like the wording, but those two are hardly going to seriously influence his price. We’d be lucky if we’ll get a 10m discount.

K Stand Knut

Laird is the real deal if he stays fit. Williams can cover at right back together with AWB. I hope we get Either Reguilon or Telles and use Shaw as alongside Maguire as a Left Central Defender. He can cove for the left back and if he gets injured we have Lindelof and Tuanzebe.
I dont think we will get Sancho this year so I would go for Brooks and trade Dalot and Romero with some cash for Grealish. Grealish could cover for both Pogba and Bruno. Brooks and Greenwood could cover each other.
Without spending too much money we could have
de Gea(Henderson)
Laird (Williams/ AWB) Maguire (Bailly) Shaw (Tuanzebe/Linndelof) Telles or Regulion(Shaw)
Matic (Fred/ Scot)
Bruno(Grealish) Paul (Grealish)
Greenwood ( Brooks) Martial (Odion) Raskford (James)

Get rid of
Rojo
Jones
Dalot
Romero
Andreas
Jesse
Mata
I like your plan of starting this season with a RB with next to no previous experience and a LB at CB who can’t stay fit.

I think that team selection is pie in the sky at best!!!

dutchred

I like your plan of starting this season with a RB with next to no previous experience and a LB at CB who can’t stay fit.

I think that team selection is pie in the sky at best!!!
That's why we Williams and AWB to cover Laird and why we buy on of Reguilon or Telles. At his best Shaw better than any left back in England and I had him at left Center back with Lindelof as cover. Read the whole post.

red thru&thru

I only watched him against us and he seemed really good. Well, at least in the first half.

Irrational.

I'd 100% be after him. No doubt he'll end up at somewhere like Spurs and then we'll be linked with him after he starts the season on fire.

Bondi77

We have just brought in the young LB that Real wanted to keep so let us see how he goes in the next couple of years.
I think that a lot of posters do not seem to understand that the Utd way is to try and promote within and not sign players on the back of a couple of good games.

Mark Pawelek

The genuine hope is that Ethan Laird can stay injury free and challenge Wan Bissaka for a spot at RB. I'm personally not a big fan of Williams.
Is this a genuine hope for next season, or season after that?

My genuine hope a month ago was United would get an squad together to challenge for PL title this coming season. It was a hopeless hope.

K Stand Knut

That's why we Williams and AWB to cover Laird and why we buy on of Reguilon or Telles. At his best Shaw better than any left back in England and I had him at left Center back with Lindelof as cover. Read the whole post.
I did read your entire post. You want Laird to be a starting RB with AWB and Williams as cover. Laird has a grand total of 0 Premier League appearances and 2 appearances in total.

You also Shaw, who is ‘better than and LB in the country’ to play on the left of a CB pairing.

I think this is a crazy idea.

Each to their own, I guess

Red_toad

Shaw is not better than Robertson, anyone who thinks he is is loco crazy.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
And I thought there was some news only to find some pointless discussion

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Is this a genuine hope for next season, or season after that?

My genuine hope a month ago was United would get an squad together to challenge for PL title this coming season. It was a hopeless hope.
For the up coming season. Laird has proven consistently for several years now that he's a bigger talent than Williams. As long as Laird is fit he should be ahead of Williams for the RB berth at the very least IMO. We need a player of his profile who isn't just technically good but also has the natural instincts to provide width.

Mark Pawelek

For the up coming season. Laird has proven consistently for several years now that he's a bigger talent than Williams. As long as Laird is fit he should be ahead of Williams for the RB berth at the very least IMO. We need a player of his profile who isn't just technically good but also has the natural instincts to provide width.
AWB managed 5 PL assists last season. Not bad. He can hopefully manage more next season. The issue I have with AWB is he isn't comfortable enough on the ball. He reminds me of how Smalling used to be. At least James can bloody well run with it. Smalling never really grew out of uncomfort, but I think AWB will.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
AWB managed 5 PL assists last season. Not bad. He can hopefully manage more next season. The issue I have with AWB is he isn't comfortable enough on the ball. He reminds me of how Smalling used to be. At least James can bloody well run with it. Smalling never really grew out of uncomfort, but I think AWB will.
Pretty sure 2 or 3 of those passes were just sideways passes that led to a goal. Like the one at Brighton where he passed it to Greenwood and he did basically everything himself.

His play on the ball needs to improve massively this coming season or he will be on the chopping block. Very unfair on Smalling otherwise.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
AWB will have even more opportunities to get assists because the oppo leaves him unattended due to setting him up for a wide pressing trap hence a turn over in possession or AWB playing safe.

I hope you're right and he does improve but I would have Ethan Laird as his back up in the up coming season.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
A few of AWB’s “assists” were just a 5 yard pass to someone who skips past a few players & scored. I think he got 1 assist from a cross?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Would be nice. How much is he rumoured to cost, and how much is the rumoured buy-back clause?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The lad at Rennes, Faitout Mouassa who has been linked to us is also a very interesting prospect for the role. Shaws injuries are a worry and we don't seem to have a good enough back up for the role so something will have to be done before long. It might not be in the coming season though due to the financial impact of Covid.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Shouldn't there be a decent source before people/fans start creating player transfer threads ?
From what I've seen,there seems to be zilch regarding Sergio with a possible move to United.

Rolaholic

I really rate him and think he'll end up as Alba's replacement at Barca.
Real Madrid are not going to be selling him to Barca :lol:

They're already reportedly insistent on some sort of buy-back clause wherever they do send him. That said, I'd still sign him up in a heartbeat, 25m in this market for arguably the best LB in La Liga last season is a steal

Rolaholic

Do Real Madrid prefer Ferland Mendy over Reguilon?
Mendy was one of their best players last season and really helped stabilize their backline which was awful the season prior and was one of the best in Europe statistically this past season. He's expected to be Marcelo's long term successor which is why Reguilon is even available after the season he had at Sevilla

Mark Pawelek

If we have to accept a buyback clause from Real we should still get him. He's cheap, very good, young and available. We need a LB now; not in 1 years time. Buying him & selling with the buyback will be like loaning in a player - it solves a position for us while we're short of money.

Edy2

Real Madrid are not going to be selling him to Barca :lol:

They're already reportedly insistent on some sort of buy-back clause wherever they do send him. That said, I'd still sign him up in a heartbeat, 25m in this market for arguably the best LB in La Liga last season is a steal
Doubt United would be agreeing to any buyback clause nor should they.

Mark Pawelek

Did you mean to say Williams and Laird to cover AWB?

Mark Pawelek

Doubt United would be agreeing to any buyback clause nor should they.
Buy for £20m with buyback clause of £35m means we'll have funds, come what may, to secure a top LB next summer, should Real exercise the buyback, otherwise we'll have a top LB. United must accept reality: we are now merely a top 6 club.

PitTon

I really hope we got him or some one with natural attacking sense. You are disappointed if the FBs make mistakes but the excitement of having a good attacking fb outweighs it. At least it's what I'm feeling right now.

meamth

What a player if we sign him.

Shaw & Reguillon on the left, AWB & Williams on the right. That is great depth to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.