Sergio Reguilón

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
If the buy clause is close to double of what we are paying for him then it’s fine. If we get him for 22m and if the buy back clause is 40m that’s fine. I think we also stand to gain by using him for the 2-3 years.

acnumber9

I just dont see it. Everything has come down our left side for 3 to 4 years now. Shaw is always bombing forward to the byline. Hes the only player on that side who did / does since Martial and Rashford cuts in all the time.
Shaw really does continuously get to the byline. Thats never been a criticsm of his
He absolutely does not continuously get to the byline. When he has those little runs of form he does but that’s not the norm at all. The problem is some people only remember those few games and forget the rest where’s he’s constantly stopping on the halfway line and passing back to a centre back.

croadyman

If the buy clause is close to double of what we are paying for him then it’s fine. If we get him for 22m and if the buy back clause is 40m that’s fine. I think we also stand to gain by using him for the 2-3 years.
Yeah I am of the opinion that we should just cross that bridge when we come to it,just remember that an option in Telles now looks to be going elsewhere

Xaviboy

Will get plenty of game time as Shaw will guaranteed to get injured and miss games. So alot of game time.

BarstoolProphet

No way would United ever entertain a clause like that. It's like admitting publicly that Real Madrid are a bigger club than us. We are not that desperate for the player.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Why would we even entertain a clause like that? We want to sign players who want to become greats for United. Not sign players to develop for 2-3 years before Real Madrid take him back whenever they fancy, but we make a cheeky profit so it’s fine...

Some of you seem so desperate for a new player to buzz over you’re just looking at obvious non-starters with the “feck it it’s fine” attitude just so we get someone, anyone in! What if he’s absolutely cracking for us and then we have to give him up for Real Madrid in a couple of years? What if he’s absolutely shite and then we aren’t making any profit from the clause anyway? We need to sign players hungry to play for United and if all goes well nobody else in their career.

SATA

That's what Dortmund and most of the German clubs would do mate. United won't entertain such offers

cyberman

He absolutely does not continuously get to the byline. When he has those little runs of form he does but that’s not the norm at all. The problem is some people only remember those few games and forget the rest where’s he’s constantly stopping on the halfway line and passing back to a centre back.
Again i disagree. He gets forward but cant do much when isolated. Evra was exactly the same but he had fantastic forward line to cover for it. Evra did not get to the byline that often himself. 1 assist in 08 should tell you how often Evra was bursting forward, 7 assists in his entire career for us! Evra getting the ball into the box just didnt happen. He could cover ground and was a fantastic defender but he wasnt a great player going forward.
As soon as the forwards play well we get posts about how well Shaw is doing. Its not a coincidence. Our attack is purring after the break and all of a sudden Shaw is a huge miss. Our attackers were shit pre lockdown and Willaims should be playing.
The problem with Shaw is that he needs great play in front of him to be effective. When everything was breaking down around Rashford or Martial was holding onto the ball with no movement then Shaw cant play the quick passes to get forward.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Buy back clauses are basically the bigger club saying to the smaller club “you develop him for us, if he becomes really good we’ll take him back for less than his value, if he doesn’t you can keep him”

It’s understandable United might not want to do that. We pride ourselves on being “the biggest club in the world” Accepting buy back clauses is the kind of thing teams like Lyon & Leipzig do.

Juventus are a big club & accepted a buy back from Madrid on Morata though, so it does happen.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Buy back clauses are basically the bigger club saying to the smaller club “you develop him for us, if he becomes really good we’ll take him back for less than his value, if he doesn’t you can keep him”

It’s understandable United might not want to do that. We pride ourselves on being “the biggest club in the world” Accepting buy back clauses is the kind of thing teams like Lyon & Leipzig do.

Juventus are a big club & accepted a buy back from Madrid on Morata though, so it does happen.
Moral of the story, Madrid are cnuts. I’d rather us not get him and look elsewhere than appease Madrid.

HowYouDoin

No way would United ever entertain a clause like that. It's like admitting publicly that Real Madrid are a bigger club than us. We are not that desperate for the player.
Dude we have seen those kind of deals between teams like Barca and Bayern in recent memory.
Its not the end of the world and we dont need that small dick energy haha. We are a big club dont worry about it.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Again i disagree. He gets forward but cant do much when isolated. Evra was exactly the same but he had fantastic forward line to cover for it. Evra did not get to the byline that often himself. 1 assist in 08 should tell you how often Evra was bursting forward, 7 assists in his entire career for us! Evra getting the ball into the box just didnt happen. He could cover ground and was a fantastic defender but he wasnt a great player going forward.
As soon as the forwards play well we get posts about how well Shaw is doing. Its not a coincidence. Our attack is purring after the break and all of a sudden Shaw is a huge miss. Our attackers were shit pre lockdown and Willaims should be playing.
The problem with Shaw is that he needs great play in front of him to be effective. When everything was breaking down around Rashford or Martial was holding onto the ball with no movement then Shaw cant play the quick passes to get forward.
Evra was fantastic going forward, one of the best in the premier league's history. He just had a shit final ball once he got into those positions. It was that ability to completely dominate the entire side of the field, both offensively and defensively, that made him the best leftback in the world for about three seasons. After that it was more his defensive ability that declined but his ability to dominate going forward stayed until near the end.

Not sure where you're getting the 7 assists? The premier league website says he got 21 just in the PL. Transfermarkt says he got 40 for us overall.

Shaw always helps a lot with the build up from a deeper position. Then he tends to go through one or two periods every season where he's also being very effective actually getting forward himself and getting into positions to really hurt the opposition. But even when he's at his best he's certainly not as good as Evra was at it, and he doesn't do it anywhere near as consistently.

gajender

Dude we have seen those kind of deals between teams like Barca and Bayern in recent memory.
Its not the end of the world and we dont need that small dick energy haha. We are a big club dont worry about it.
No we haven't loans with option to buy is not same as buyback clause it hardly ever happens between top clubs.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
It has nothing to do with being a bigger club or not. If we buy someone from a mid level PL club they in most cases won‘t have a buy back clause as obviously especially if the player improves he is not going to go back to that mid level club.
Now if Madrid are selling us one of their young talents it’s different as the player would most probably want to go back to his home country and to RM.
The issue for us is not having a buy back clause as such, but the conditions (how high, validity i.e. valid not before 2023 and after 2025, etc.)

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
OGS has a stated policy on only recruiting players who really want to play for the club. Allowing for a buy back is the very antithesis of this and also sets a really bad precedent which will bite us later on. We’ll end up with the Pique situation again.

Or it should be a very very large number: in this case decent full backs cost. > €50m so if there was a buy back it should be around €70m or more. but even then I wouldn’t allow for it.

RUCK4444

We should laugh in their face if they ask Manchester United for a buy back clause, I don’t care how self entitled that sounds.

It’s not even like this kid is a must-have signing.

No way Ole goes for that under his policy for recruitment (or any of our past recruitment policies for that matter.) Joke.

SATA

We should laugh in their face if they ask Manchester United for a buy back clause, I don’t care how self entitled that sounds.

No way Ole goes for that under his policy for recruitment (or any of our past recruitment policies for that matter.) Joke.
I may consider a buy back clause if this is prime Marcelo, but just not for this player who only had a good previous year. Don't like the thought of him going back to Madrid everytime he steps onto the pitch in our shirt

acnumber9

It’s only in very brief spells that Shaw makes overlapping runs. And a lot of that was down to Rashford’s passing basically forcing him to make those runs. Evra was much better going forward despite also being a poor crosser. There’s nothing Shaw does on the pitch that comes close to what Evra did and it’s frankly insane that anyone would argue otherwise.

EwanI Ted

Evra had 9 goals and 23 assists for us in all comps I think.

Link

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Moral of the story, Madrid are cnuts. I’d rather us not get him and look elsewhere than appease Madrid.
I wouldn’t say that, it’s smart business from them. When they bought back Morata for about £25m they sold him to Chelsea for £60m. Nobody is putting a gun to United’s head forcing us to accept.

SATA

I think even Buttner shows more enthusiasm going forward than Shaw to be honest. But Shaw is obviously the better player and defender and we loses a lot when he's not there. Even Rashford kind of look lost there when playing ahead of Williams

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Sigh. Can't roll my eyes enough.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

I think even Buttner shows more enthusiasm going forward than Shaw to be honest. But Shaw is obviously the better player and defender and we loses a lot when he's not there. Even Rashford kind of look lost there when playing ahead of Williams
What do you mean by “even Buttner” though? That makes it sound like he was a predominately defensive left back, which he absolutely wasn’t. He was very attacking. He couldn’t defend to save his life.

cyberman

u

Evra had 9 goals and 23 assists for us in all comps I think.

Link
Shit I meant CL. Even checking another source it has it at 5 so say 6!
Im not demeaning Evra, its just the eay he helped build up play is very similar as to how Shaw did it. Evra wasnt whipping balls in or leaving players for dead. It was all very measured and he wasnt the one to unlock a defence

Santoryo

ripping the reward

Problem with this place and some posters is that they think United are desperate for some players as much as they are. Some people in this thread are so desperate for Reguilon(A player they'd probably only heard after the Sevilla game and don't have much insight about him or his true level on the whole) that they think the club should compromise everything including its integrity and whatnot so they can bring in the new shining toy they're fawning over.

Santos J

Buttner was a very attack minded left back

BarstoolProphet

Which deals?

As for the rest of your post I would prefer if you could up your standard before it's worth replying to.

RUCK4444

Problem with this place and some posters is that they think United are desperate for some players as much as they are. Some people in this thread are so desperate for Reguilon(A player they'd probably only heard after the Sevilla game and don't have much insight about him or his true level on the whole) that they think the club should compromise everything including its integrity and whatnot so they can bring in the new shining toy they're fawning over.
Yeah tend to agree. In fairness I get caught up in muppetry as much as the next poster, but I don’t know why people are desperate for this lad.

The way I see it, he’s clearly a worse defender than Shaw, better going forward, however Shaw actually links well and brings the best out of Rashford. So as a trade off of these traits I don’t think he starts ahead of Shaw anyway.

We shouldn’t lower ourselves to taking players on buy back options from the likes of Madrid.

EwanI Ted

Yeah tend to agree. In fairness I get caught up in muppetry as much as the next poster, but I don’t know why people are desperate for this lad.

The way I see it, he’s clearly a worse defender than Shaw, better going forward, however Shaw actually links well and brings the best out of Rashford. So as a trade off of these traits I don’t think he starts ahead of Shaw anyway.

We shouldn’t lower ourselves to taking players on buy back options from the likes of Madrid.
Whoever we bring in may or may not be as good as Shaw, who knows. But Shaw is injured so often that we definitely need a first team quality replacement for him. And if his replacement comes in and does well, he's likely to stay there. Shaw has his merits, but he's not so good you can put up with him only playing half a season every year.

croadyman

Whoever we bring in may or may not be as good as Shaw, who knows. But Shaw is injured so often that we definitely need a first team quality replacement for him. And if his replacement comes in and does well, he's likely to stay there. Shaw has his merits, but he's not so good you can put up with him only playing half a season every year.
Yeah personally I would take any of the three we have been linked with because it would give us another option in that area of the field

CG1010

4 assists in his first season is a decent start. More than Pogba. More than Williams & Shaw combined. With limited support on the right
Assists is neither necessary or sufficient to prove attacking contribution at full back level though. Evra apparently had 21 assists in 278 PL appearances while Irwin had 25 assists in 328 games. It is more important to be able to contribute to breaking defensive shapes of the opposition by going behind defensive lines and often going upto the touchline of the opposition. More than crossing you need to be good with carrying the ball and having pace & aggression.

AWB doesn't do enough at all given the space available to him. But I agree that he is young and has massive potential to improve, especially as he is already good enough to defensively. Hence while we give him time to improve, we need atleast one attacking FB option on the left atleast. That's really important for the balance of our team.

Valencia used to have all the space in the world too, both as a winger and a fullback. Its due to how we play focusing buildup on the left then switching the ball to the right where the space is and having players who cover great distance.

Yes Valencia is another great example of similar limitations to AWB at full back level. He couldn't make do with the space afforded to him. Space to Valencia and AWB is afforded by opposition because they are least threatening and teams just focus on closing ranks in the middle. It forces us to work within very cramped up space to create openings and we naturally struggle with this.

CG1010

Shaw is the secret sauce in our attacking game. His very pacey overlaps from deep panic defences and make room for everyone else.
Shaw isn't that good at it though and isn't threatening enough on a regular basis. An upgrade in this regard would be most welcome especially against smaller teams.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I wouldn’t say that, it’s smart business from them. When they bought back Morata for about £25m they sold him to Chelsea for £60m. Nobody is putting a gun to United’s head forcing us to accept.
It’s smart business from their perspective, yes, but why would I give a feck about that?

And the bold is exactly my point? Why would we accept such a rip off clause for the buying club? I’d rather us miss out on the player than be mugged off.

Rolaholic

An attacking LB would quite literally be an 'attacking reinforcements' :lol:

The media really seem to think United are completely incapable on doing 2 things at once in the market

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

I think it’s pretty clear that Ole doesn’t see left back as an issue and trusts Williams as back up.

Personally, I’d move him to the right.

I don’t think there’s much to see here anyway. ReguilOFF.

mu4c_20le

I want to say there's too much smoke for there to be no fire but I also wouldn't be surprised if another smaller club suddenly swoops in and takes him, buyback clause and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.