Sergio Reguilón

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolaholic

Eh all the links to LB's this summer does make me think Ole believes it's a position we need to address, which I would agree

Williams would be better off sticking to the right where he's more comfortable.

Multiple sources confirm the interest but think it'll basically come down to whether Real are adamant about including a buyback clause instead of sell-on/right of first refusal or whether they're fine with selling him without any like they did with Hakimi earlier this summer

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I want to say there's too much smoke for there to be no fire but I also wouldn't be surprised if another smaller club suddenly swoops in and takes him, buyback clause and all.
The only reputable news we’ve had is that United have been offered him & we are considering it. Nothing concrete suggests we’re interested in him.

I think to Ole, a left back would be nice but isn’t a big priority. He wants a right winger & a centre half.

thomas porter

An attacking LB would quite literally be an 'attacking reinforcements' :lol:

The media really seem to think United are completely incapable on doing 2 things at once in the market
I keep seeing everyone say We're monitoring the situation...what exactly does that mean? I heard the same thing with DVB and then we signed him 2 days later...

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Fabrizio Romano.
He's not overly reliable either but he's probably more so than others I will grant you. Had no idea about us going for VDB until the Ajax coach gave that interview. Also had no idea about Sancho's extra year added to his deal. So he's not ITK on everything.

These people feed off the clicks and mentions. That Fauk guy and Fjortoff are exactly the same. They tweet vague messages which can be construed different ways and which don't fully nail their colours to the mast. Saying that United will get Sancho if they bow to Dortmund's every demand is hardly the scoop of the century is it? We could all tell you that ffs.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Top clubs very rarely agree to buyback clauses when they are buying. I’d expect us to negotiate a higher fee for its removal or it’ll be a non starter. Real Madrid probably do need the money though so I reckon we’ll get him.
That could be a solution. Achraf has no buyback clause, but they paid 40 + 5

Santoryo

ripping the reward
The fact that Madrid would even have the temerity to suggest a buy back close to us should have Ed and everyone in charge telling them to do one. It's as simple as that.

This random desperation for this guy from some posters is honestly quite ridiculous. If we end up buying him, decent buy, good for us and hopefully he helps improve us, if we don't, well that's that, meh and shrug shoulders.

The only reputable news we’ve had is that United have been offered him & we are considering it. Nothing concrete suggests we’re interested in him.

I think to Ole, a left back would be nice but isn’t a big priority. He wants a right winger & a centre half.
Seems more like that's the case.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The fact that Madrid would even have the temerity to suggest a buy back close to us should have Ed and everyone in charge telling them to do one. It's as simple as that.

This random desperation for this guy from some posters is honestly quite ridiculous. If we end up buying him, decent buy, good for us and hopefully he helps improve us, if we don't, well that's that, meh and shrug shoulders.
Yeah but it's all part of negotiations. They want buy back clause, we dont want one, so there are way to work around.

Also people are desperate as our first choice LB injury record is very poor, it's good to have competition for places, especially in the position where we have injury prone player.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Yeah but it's all part of negotiations. They want buy back clause, we dont want one, so there are way to work around.

Also people are desperate as our first choice LB injury record is very poor, it's good to have competition for places, especially in the position where we have injury prone player.
Then people should pray, hope that we look elsewhere for a LB otherwise this thing should be a non starter with the buy back close. Reading this thread one would think missing on Reguilon would be catastrophic or dumb from the club hence why some suggestions of just rolling with the buy back close.

hobbers

It would make so much more sense to have this guy as an alternative to Shaw, and have Williams and Laird competing on the right with AWB. Williams is not and never will be a good left back.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That could be a solution. Achraf has no buyback clause, but they paid 40 + 5
Do you think either 30m euro with buy back or maybe 45m euros without?

If both teams can’t agree & United can’t find another left back I could see a loan deal. Gives both another year to figure it out while United still get the player.

Mendy is young, so I can’t see Reguilon getting much of a chance at Real as long as Zidane is manager.

mu4c_20le

It would make so much more sense to have this guy as an alternative to Shaw, and have Williams and Laird competing on the right with AWB. Williams is not and never will be a good left back.
Curious why you say this? Brandons biggest weakness is defensive positioning, and it doesn't matter which side he's on. Attacking wise he is fine on the left.

roonster09

Scout
Then people should pray, hope that we look elsewhere for a LB otherwise this thing should be a non starter with the buy back close. Reading this thread one would think missing on Reguilon would be catastrophic or dumb from the club hence why some suggestions of just rolling with the buy back close.
He was rated as best LB in La Liga, so when good player is available for decent price then fans want us to make full use of it. I don't see any problem with that. We should be making good use of situations like this instead of spending more money on same level or inferior players.

Yes, they want buy back clause and rumors are that we are insisting on removing that. So who knows, we might end up paying bit more and remove the clause.

MadMike

Curious why you say this? Brandons biggest weakness is defensive positioning, and it doesn't matter which side he's on. Attacking wise he is fine on the left.
How? He can't overlap and put a cross on his left. He spends half the game with his body facing back inside towards the CBs. His link-up with Rashford was practically non-existent and (also due to Rashford's lack of form) our threat from the left was minimal in the last quarter of the season when Shaw was gone.

Even if his link-up and passing improves, he will always lack the ability to run down the outside, beat a player and put in a cross. How many top teams play with right-footed LBs? Do you think that's a coincidence, or do you think Williams is so exceptional he can overcome that disadvantage?

mu4c_20le

How? He can't overlap and put a cross on his left. He spends half the game with his body facing back inside towards the CBs. His link-up with Rashford was practically non-existent and (also due to Rashford's lack of form) our threat from the left was minimal in the last quarter of the season when Shaw was gone.

Even if his link-up and passing improves, he will always lack the ability to run down the outside, beat a player and put in a cross. How many top teams play with right-footed LBs? Do you think that's a coincidence, or do you think Williams is so exceptional he can overcome that disadvantage?
He cuts inside even when he played on the right, he would stop and face his marker then try to cut inside and make a move. He isn't a traditional crossing winger, and when you think about it, it's probably also down to team tactics as well, we do not put in early crosses.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Shaw does overlap. I don't know what people are on about. Heck he twisted his ankle after having overlapped and trying to put in a cross.

Rolaholic

Shaw does overlap. I don't know what people are on about. Heck he twisted his ankle after having overlapped and trying to put in a cross.
That post was referring to Williams not Shaw if I'm not mistaken

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Not having a go but this is the part he needs to improve on. His link-up with Rashford was excellent, Rashford would put him into great positions only for crosses to be blocked. Mostly he's a very good fullback if you ignore the fitness issues but he can improve further on this aspect.

roonster09

Scout
Not having a go but this is the part he needs to improve on. His link-up with Rashford was excellent, Rashford would put him into great positions only for crosses to be blocked. Mostly he's a very good fullback if you ignore the fitness issues but he can improve further on this aspect.
Shaw is very good footballer, final pass or crossing is average/poor but rest of his game including defensive is very good. Like you said he has injury problems, even if he stays fit, we need better depth. This season schedule will be insane, lack of depth in any position will hurt us a lot.

MadMike

He cuts inside even when he played on the right, he would stop and face his marker then try to cut inside and make a move. He isn't a traditional crossing winger, and when you think about it, it's probably also down to team tactics as well, we do not put in early crosses.
Then he's not a very good modern fullback, simples. Team tactics are (also) chosen based on the players you have. If none of our fullbacks can beat a player and put a decent cross in, then the tactics are adapted accordingly.

Like I said every successful big team, and especially those that play 4-3-3 like us, rely heavily on fullbacks to provide natural width and penetration. Marcelo (Real), Alba (Barca), Reguilon (Sevilla), Davies (Bayern), Bernat (PSG), Robertson (Liverpool), Alonso/Chilwell (Chelsea), Zinchenko/Mendy (City), Alex Sandro (Juventus) etc. etc. They can all penetrate from the left, dribble a bit and put crosses in. None of them cut constantly inside like Williams has to do due to being a right-footed left back.

The RWs and LWs in 4-3-3 are essentially inside forwards and don't provide the width required to break a low block. It's evident we struggle a lot against that. We will need to either play with proper wingers (á la Perisic) or get some fast, attack-minded fullbacks. I don't see Rashford or Greenwood becoming traditional wingers, so it's the fullbacks that will need to provide the width. Williams will never do that, being a right footed player on the left flank.

Last edited:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Do you think either 30m euro with buy back or maybe 45m euros without?

If both teams can’t agree & United can’t find another left back I could see a loan deal. Gives both another year to figure it out while United still get the player.

Mendy is young, so I can’t see Reguilon getting much of a chance at Real as long as Zidane is manager.
Yes, it could be an option. It does not have to be exactly the same as Achraf, but obviously when a club pays you more you cannot include these types of clauses.
If there is no agreement I think he will go to Sevilla for another year.

romufc

think to Ole, a left back would be nice but isn’t a big priority. He wants a right winger & a centre half.
The problem is, Ole wants these players but Ed can't deliver them. VDB was one they got a chance due to the VDS links, other than that Ed has been very ordinary in the transfer market.

I would say any person who is in that position could have signed Maguire, AWB, James, Bruno so he hasn't done something special. He never has. He is a failure at this football club.

Ole has said he has spoken to Ed in lockdown for what he wants. Ed has not delivered. Teams are having to spoon feed us players for us to monitor.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
That's where his issue comes from. He's usually very good starting from the back, in the build up and his link up with our midfielders and Rashford is good. He also does overlap which also helps Rashford not always having to deal with 2 players. It's when he gets that ball after overlapping where the problem starts. His final ball/cross just isn't good nor consistent at all.

It's quite annoying but I've learned to appreciate what Shaw brings after seeing our left wing completely collapse after his injury. Didn't realized how bad his absence would affect us just from the simple fact that he's competent playing from the back. The fact that we try to play from the back with our FBs as our outlet made his absence even more poignant because the AWB can't really build from the back and it becomes easy for opponents to easy overload one side.

macheda14

Although rumours that we want to send Laird out on loan. Couple that with us trying to shift Dalot and that means we only have 3 players for the two full back positions.

macheda14

The tweet in question.

According to the Madrid reliability guide AS aren’t the most reputable, but pretty much every Spanish publication bar Marca has linked us now so this is definitely starting to look very likely.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He's not overly reliable either but he's probably more so than others I will grant you. Had no idea about us going for VDB until the Ajax coach gave that interview. Also had no idea about Sancho's extra year added to his deal. So he's not ITK on everything.

These people feed off the clicks and mentions. That Fauk guy and Fjortoff are exactly the same. They tweet vague messages which can be construed different ways and which don't fully nail their colours to the mast. Saying that United will get Sancho if they bow to Dortmund's every demand is hardly the scoop of the century is it? We could all tell you that ffs.
He has mentioned in AFTV before (few weeks ago), his sources come from agents unlike Simon Stones who got his information from the club. He made lot of connection with agents and that's where his information came from. So whatever the agents told him, that's what he knows.

He mentioned Regulion is offered to United only which clearly because he was told by the player's agent or some Spanish agent. VDB was probably done privately or he just doesn't have connection in Eredivisie league, he rarely even talk about any transfer in Eredivisie.

CG1010

This!

mav_9me

According to the Madrid reliability guide AS aren’t the most reputable, but pretty much every Spanish publication bar Marca has linked us now so this is definitely starting to look very likely.
That's the key. If I am not mistaken, COPE and Cadena SER are very reliable. Although that might be more journalist specific.

I think this is ReguilON, just the buy back clause needs to be figured out I feel.

roonster09

Scout
People have very weird expectations from sport journalists. They are sport journalists who report what they get from agents, club officials and in some cases some members from the club. They are not investigators who works for FBI or some detective agency like in movies where they get info by tapping phones, placing hidden cameras.

fecking hell, why this x journalist didn't kniw about Y news, obvious answer is they were not told by agents or club officials.

DevilRed

This sounds more like madrid want someone to pay a bigger transfer fee for reguillon rather than have to ship him off on loan again.

I question whether we are genuinely interested, as nothing has come from the UK side.

It's well documented they are struggling financially and need money to tide them over.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
This sounds more like madrid want someone to pay a bigger transfer fee for reguillon rather than have to ship him off on loan again.

I question whether we are genuinely interested, as nothing has come from the UK side.

It's well documented they are struggling financially and need money to tide them over.
Well most of the British media are anglophile. They won't be happy with this Johnny foreigner taking the job of two young, honest and hardworking British.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Who are we interested in? This looks like such a good deal. With Shaw injury record and next season schedule, we will regret not signing a LB this window.

Rolaholic

Especially for the prices we're seeing quoted for the likes of him, Tagliafico and Telles...

Can't imagine we'll find better quality options at LB for 30m easier than right now.

Hope we manage to snag one of them, a consistent attacking threat at FB would really do wonders for the attack

RonaldoVII

We need to stop pissing around though, our season starts in just over a week. Reguilon would have to quarantine for 2 weeks upon arrival wouldn't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.