Sergio Reguilón

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I don't really see the logic in this for Spurs. I think he's a very good attacking left back, but they have almost no money to spend and quite a few issues to address, left back not being one of them. And to top it off, they cave in to Real's demands for a very low buy-back clause.

Shame we wasted time on this given he is desperate to retain any chance of playing for Real.

To the Telles thread.
LB is an issue for us, has been for quite some time.

AshRK

For spurs it is a good buy and deal. They are not Manchester united in the sense who doesn't like buyout clause and want a player to be a stop gap solution. United were right in walking away and spurs were right in getting a quality lb.

BristolRuss

That’s an honestly audacious deal. :lol: Jose and Spurs desperate, I guess.
Jose only deals in the short term these days. Why does he care if Spurs get fecked in two years when he knows he likely won't even be there? This is a deal that gives him the best chance at short term success without the worries of the long term implications.

Josh 76

Jose only deals in the short term these days. Why does he care if Spurs get fecked in two years when he knows he likely won't even be there? This is a deal that gives him the best chance at short term success without the worries of the long term implications.
This

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Can't say I'm that bothered. It helps that I've never knowingly seen him play, but still. I'm glad we stood our ground.

Reguilon can't have wanted to join us that badly if he was ready to sign for Spurs just to maintain the buy-back clause. Seems pretty clear he'll go running when Madrid activate it, so why waste our time with him if he doesn't want to be here?

Nick7

He’s a good signing for Spurs. He would have been a good signing for us, but I’m glad we didn’t bow down to the buy back.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Hes a good squad player, solid but doesn't give much going forward and is slow.
Fair enough. Most teams can upgrade in most positions. But I would have thought you'd be a lot more careful with your very limited budget, given you have very thin attacking depth and midfield. I'd also feel a bit patronised giving a club a buy-back clause. Why not just get him on loan for a season or even two?

diarm

Madrid have basically just offloaded the entire risk and responsibility for a young players development to Spurs.

If the player fails, Spurs will have paid them 30mil for a flop. If he succeeds, Madrid will pay Spurs 5mil for his development.

Panther

Don't understand the sentiment that we were right to walk away. We'd be getting a very good left back for 2 seasons at least, RM have Mendy too so they might not even get him back and Reguilon himself might not go back if he's not a guaranteed starter.

Was there also a clause which says we can't look for a LB whilst we have Reguilon too? because I imagine two years is a decent time-frame to search for a long term option if him leaving is inevitable.

Panther

Can't say I'm that bothered. It helps that I've never knowingly seen him play, but still. I'm glad we stood our ground.

Reguilon can't have wanted to join us that badly if he was ready to sign for Spurs just to maintain the buy-back clause. Seems pretty clear he'll go running when Madrid activate it, so why waste our time with him if he doesn't want to be here?
Real Madrid wanted the buy-back clause, not Reguilon. He wanted to play for us and we agreed personal terms with him, but so did Spurs, and Spurs actually met Madrid's demands. So he's not choosing between us and Spurs, he's choosing between Spurs and being back-up to Mendy at Madrid.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
That's actually your best case scenario:
1. Worst case scenario: spend 30m on a promising LB who doesn't fulfill his potential
2. Best case scenario: make 5-10m on a promising LB who does fulfill his potential after you developed him
Madrid clearly the winners in this deal.
No, the best case scenario would be that he establishes himself as a very good but not great LB, Madrid doesn't want him back because they don't deem him good enough, and Spurs have themselves a starter at LB for the better part of the next decade.

I'm not saying it's not a good deal for Madrid because it obviously is, but it is not a bad deal for Spurs like most on here are making it out to be. If there was no clause and Reguilon became Madrid-quality in two years time, he would likely be off anyway, just for a fee higher than the €40m quoted right now. Which isn't even bad for a LB to begin with. I doubt Spurs care much right now for that very specific scenario to happen.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
For spurs it is a good buy and deal. They are not Manchester united in the sense who doesn't like buyout clause and want a player to be a stop gap solution. United were right in walking away and spurs were right in getting a quality lb.
Yeah, this makes sense. Deals are not same for all clubs.

ROFLUTION

Isn't this badly dealt with from Woodward to begin with? Complete transparency in the media as to what Reguilon wants.

Had this transparency not been there, Tottenham might not have hijacked the deal last minute. It's simple: When we deal with you, don't leak to the press, or the deal is off.

This could happen to the Sancho deal as well tbf

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Fair enough. Most teams can upgrade in most positions. But I would have thought you'd be a lot more careful with your very limited budget, given you have very thin attacking depth and midfield. I'd also feel a bit patronised giving a club a buy-back clause. Why not just get him on loan for a season or even two?
I see this as a basic loan deal fro 2 years with the possibility of it being permanent.

If Bale signs he can play anywhere in the front 4, so we have Kane, Son, Bergwin, Lucas, Bale. Midfield of Dele, Winks, GLC, Sissoko, Hojbjerg, Ndombele (dubious).

ROFLUTION

Anyways, if he's so keen on getting back to Real Madrid, no idea in going after him in the first place. Please learn our lessons, Woodward.

We need people who wants to be here at Manchester United, one of the biggest clubs in the world. Get in players that appreciate that.

James Peril

Why on earth should Woodward to take credit for the promotion of academy players?! That's down to the hard work and graft of the likes of Butt and co.
Probably more down to the player, his talent and application. Nicky Butt or whomever are hardly more than a person putting down cones on the pitch every morning.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I see this as a basic loan deal fro 2 years with the possibility of it being permanent.

If Bale signs he can play anywhere in the front 4, so we have Kane, Son, Bergwin, Lucas, Bale. Midfield of Dele, Winks, GLC, Sissoko, Hojbjerg, Ndombele (dubious).
Plus a bit of profit.

I don't see anything wrong with it.... if anything trying to sign him without a buy-back clause would have been dumb.

TheLord

Too early to tell. If let's say he has 3 great years there before he moves again to whichever team, and they make a profit out of it, it will definitely still be considered a success.

I can appreciate both sides - Utd not giving in to a condition they don't want, and Spurs not caring for it since they get a great player to add to their time, however long it may be.
I wrote earlier that he is a typical Mourinho buy - a short-term fix for 2/3 years.

I don't think the Reguilon deal makes a lot of sense if you're looking to build a solid team for the long-term, but makes absolute sense if the board is thinking of a short-term inexpensive recruit, especially in the midst of the ongoing economic uncertainties.

People are reading too much into the buyback clause, IMO.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I think we will all agree that Romano is legit
I don't believe that any of them are legit. Certainly not in so far as I would believe everything they put out without reservation.

As far as I'm concerned these guys are all receiving the majority of their information from agents, which makes them highly vulnerable to manipulation by those same agents.

Acole9

Outstanding
I'm glad we've walked away from this deal. Good player but he probably wouldn't be with us for very long what with the clauses Real Madrid wanted.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Yeah, exactly. But putting down 20-30m for the privilege. There is no second striker there, and having watched the documentary series, Kane was run into the ground basically. Ndombele is hardly going to feature significantly under Jose, Alli is not a central midfielder, really.

I don't know, if I was a Spurs supporter I'd feel incredibly underwhelmed by the business you've done this summer given your finances (yes, I feel the same about United).

zizou81

This "we are man united and dont do buy backs or loans" bull shit needs to end. We need a left back. Our go to is shaw so long term or not, buy back was fine.

Even Bayern Munich, the best in Europe and arguably just as big as a club (okay not as big), does loans and benefits from them. E.g Perisic.

This would have been a decent acquisition for us in a position we need to strengthen as shaw is injury prone.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If the terms noted are correct its an outstanding deal for Madrid. Everything to gain and nothing to lose.

Yagami

Good post resistant
As others have said, I'm glad the club didn't agree to those terms. Even if he does become a very good player for Spurs.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I don't know, if I was a Spurs supporter I'd feel incredibly underwhelmed by the business you've done this summer given your finances (yes, I feel the same about United).
Can be applied to any team of the top 6 bar Chelsea, and to a certain extent to literally all football teams post-Covid to be honest.

Nickelodeon

It's a really good deal for Spurs. Whatever be the final picture, they're getting La Liga's best LB from last season for 30 million euros. Even if they have to sell him later, it still remains a great deal for now and if Madrid want him after two years, they can then ask for Mendy.

Naturally, I'm a bit sad that we didn't get him because he's always looked quality whenever I've seen him but buying for 30 and sell on for 40 is ridiculous and was always going to be unacceptable.

We shouldn't be lashing out on Woodward for this decision. However, if we do our recruitment in a planned and early manner, it would never come down to this. Not sure what will have to happen for us to learn our lessons.

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
It is certainly a "Cross that bridge when we come to it" kind-of business now. Spurs have the player and who knows what will happen in two years? Global recession may (finally) lead to transfer fees going down and 40m for a fullback may seem insane.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's a really good deal for Spurs. Whatever be the final picture, they're getting La Liga's best LB from last season for 30 million euros. Even if they have to sell him later, it still remains a great deal for now and if Madrid want him after two years, they can then ask for Mendy.

Naturally, I'm a bit sad that we didn't get him because he's always looked quality whenever I've seen him but buying for 30 and sell on for 40 is ridiculous and was always going to be unacceptable.

We shouldn't be lashing out on Woodward for this decision. However, if we do our recruitment in a planned and early manner, it would never come down to this. Not sure what will have to happen for us to learn our lessons.
Exactly, it's both a very good deal AND yet one I can't totally understand us not wanting to do.

acnumber9

I remember when we were selling Ronaldo there was a host of fans on here who thought we were too good for Real Madrid cast offs such as Arjen Robben and Wesley Sneijder. This idea we are above certain things, especially in our current state, baffles me.

Panther

Would people on here really rather have Shaw/Williams as our left back options for the season than have Reguilon for 30m with a buyback clause for 40m?

Jev

Spurs now have three full-backs that I'd take as a Shaw backup/competition. Any chance they'd give us Davies?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah, exactly. But putting down 20-30m for the privilege. There is no second striker there, and having watched the documentary series, Kane was run into the ground basically. Ndombele is hardly going to feature significantly under Jose, Alli is not a central midfielder, really.

If we get who we weem to be getting you will be hard pushed to find a Spurs fan underwhelmed. Bale and Son can play striker, plus we may not be quite finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.