Sergio Reguilón

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deery

Dreary
£30m is a lot when you're not trying to back the manager and doing things on the cheap.

(assuming Sancho isn't coming)
We backed him with a £45m midfielder, it’s very uncertain times atm with COVID I don’t think it’s totally unwise to hold back on spending. We probably won’t even get fans in the stadium again this season..

macheda14

We backed him with a £45m midfielder, it’s very uncertain times atm with COVID I don’t think it’s totally unwise to hold back on spending. We probably won’t even get fans in the stadium again this season..
Are you an English journo because you’re inflating that fee.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He was 100% coming to Manchester United despite the fact we hadn’t agreed a fee and even if we had there was a clause we were absolutely unwilling to accept? Ok then.

peridigm

So he wasn't 100% coming to us at all then :lol:
Yeah, Madrid dictating a transfer to us. They can feck off. Glad we nixed it. Same for Bale. We're not making mistakes like ADM and Sanchez as long as Ole is the manager. If nothing else, he's slapped some sense into Woodward on what type of player we need to be going for. Yes, I'm confident Sancho will be done by the 5th.

lex talionis

Mendy is only 25 years old. It’s highly unlikely he’ll be finished as a footballer at 27.

Deery

Dreary
That’s 3 different valuations guys either way it’s still around the 40m mark, which you can’t say isn’t backing the manager..

lex talionis

Yeah, Madrid dictating a transfer to us. They can feck off. Glad we nixed it. Same for Bale. We're not making mistakes like ADM and Sanchez as long as Ole is the manager. If nothing else, he's slapped some sense into Woodward on what type of player we need to be going for. Yes, I'm confident Sancho will be done by the 5th.
Getting Sancho done by October 5 is key to this whole discussion. A backup LB was never our top priority, but RW clearly is. And we have the opportunity to bring in an extraordinary talent who wants to play for United, but we’re haggling like a rug merchant over an insignificant difference in valuations relative to projected revenue growth over the next decade.

I won’t lose much sleep over missing out on Reguilon, but even under the publicly stated conditions he would have been a very solid acquisition. But if Woody is storing all his ammo for Sancho, then taking a pass on Reguilon makes a lot of sense.

Member 90887

Mendy is only 25 years old. It’s highly unlikely he’ll be finished as a footballer at 27.
And ?

People saying that there is a chance Madrid would not buy him back just because they would have someone are forgetting that Football is bussiness.

They did just that with Morata. Sold for 20M to Juve, bought back for 30M when Juve could have sold him for way more (buy back close) and sold again for 66M to Chelsea.

This would have been a bad deal for a club of our stature. It creates a lot of problems. I can see why it appeals to spurs though + Jose does not really care, he'll probably be gone before Reguilon...

Basically, as others said, this is a loan where spurs are lending Madrid those 30M and where, if the players flops, they'll have to keep him.

Rolaholic

Spurs signed a left back for a lot of money who they’ll have to give back again if any good
They spent around the same on Sessengon who's proven even less just a year ago.

Think he'll be quite good for them but it would be funny to see him succeed only to have Madrid snatch him up in a year or 2 :lol:

macheda14

Much was it then£40m plus £5m add one wasn’t it
I think you’ve been sufficiently answered by other posters. But all reports put the fee including add ons at £40 million total - you’re thinking of the fee in euros.

SinNombre

I think you’ve been sufficiently answered by other posters. But all reports put the fee including add ons at £40 million total - you’re thinking of the fee in euros.
Ajax even publicly announced the fee.

€35m + €5m in bonuses

This is a cheap savvy signing by United standards and not "backing the manager"

SinNombre

This is such a desperate deal by Spurs.

Glad we showed a backbone unlike some of our muppets.

Quinzaine

What a load of rubbish. Williams just turned 20 and had his first season of senior football. Where was Reguilon at the same age?

“Everything indicates” wtf is that? Maybe the new long term contract the kid signed just a month ago? Williams is an extremely talented young full back, also versatile and will have a good future here. Reguilon is 4 year senior and more proven, but nothing indicates that Williams can’t get to that level. I’ve watched Brandon through the youth teams and the kid has always been a standout performer, writing him off after a bad patch is laughable.

And then you also throw Laird into the conversation while the kid barely played senior football and can’t catch a break from injuries. Talk about a load of rubbish with a post like that.
The only reason Williams was converted in to a left back is because he wasn't as good as Laird at right-back. Describing him as 'extremely talented' is beyond hilarious, good solid player with some attractive qualities but he's shown nothing to suggest he's extremely talented. I'd say the only players who fit that description in our team are Pogba, Greenwood & Martial. But it's clear we have a very different set of standards.

He's ok going forward and ok defensively - he's a significant downgrade on current Shaw, and an even bigger downgrade to the Luke Shaw we saw before he got injured as a 20 year old - now that was a very talented full back who was physically immense ,technically clean and solid defensively. I'm struggling to think of one facet of Williams' game that is superior to what a 20 year old Luke Shaw had, and that should be the level we are aiming for.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Ya, not too bothered if those are the terms. It's his agents 'door knocking' - they know he wont feature for Real. Sevilla door is closed. He needs to league for first team football.

We could do with a left back - but it needs to be on the right terms. For once (even though we know Woodie is a feckin eejit), I think the club were right to not proceed with it.

OverratedOpinion

I feel like I'm the only one who thinks Spurs have done okay here. He is clearly very talented, obviously there is a chance that he fails as there is with any signing. At worst they are being payed a few million to have a good player on loan for 2 seasons.

Although with that said he probably won't reach his potential under Mourinho.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I feel like I'm the only one who thinks Spurs have done okay here. He is clearly very talented, obviously there is a chance that he fails as there is with any signing. At worst they are being payed a few million to have a good player on loan for 2 seasons.

Although with that said he probably won't reach his potential under Mourinho.
I don't get the hate either, I would have liked the buy back fee to be higher but other than that, with Mendy there ready to step up there is no guarantee Madrid will come back for him when Mbappe would be moving soon.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
I was joking. And if your happy that your club are effectively thumbing their noses to UEFA/FIFA in their attempts to stop clubs stock-pilling players because that's exactly what they are doing by abusing the transfer system like that once they find a gullible enough club(Hi Tottenham!) to help them out, good for you. It's not like Real Madrid are strangers to Unethical practices is it?.

If you haven't got a place in your squad for the minute loan him out for two years if need be like clubs have been doing for years.
What are you trying to say? First you suggest that RM are stockpiling players and then you suggest us to loan Reguilon out. Loaning is more like stockpiling then selling with buy back clause.
The player is totally in control now. If he does not want to return to RM the clauses means feck all.

With Loan the player is forced to comeback.

jesperjaap

Nuno Mendes is the one i'd like us to get.
Yes, only seen the one game, but that was all needed to convince me, reminded me of prime Evra going forward with the ball, which is something at such a young age. Personally rather sign nobody at left back and keep Williams as the back up if we can move for Mendes next summer to prioritise Sancho or alternative plus a centre back

Status
Not open for further replies.